ADVERTISEMENT

Your most moving sports-watching experience

Bunch of chowderheads tossing pizza. Probably doctors enjoying their day off....

'87 championship and the resulting sprint to the fountain is probably mine.

My kids didn't play sports, so I don't have one involving them.

Personally, it's a toss up between my soph year in HS when we took a triple OT loss in the first game of the sectional after finishing 16-4 in the regular season or my senior year when we took an opening game loss in the sectional after coming in 18-2. Both were gut punches, although I was much more involved & invested as a senior.

I knew the score of the Wat Shot game but not the how. So watching it I knew something was going to happen but not what. So I still got some of the feels
When the Shot happened I was jumping up and down. My oldest son was sitting on the couch and I jumped on him, hugged and kissed him on the cheek. He shoves me off him in disgust but it was worth it. lol He might have been scarred a bit but that is not really a bad thing.

I attended a game once at Roberts Stadium because it was the only Division I arena in the state that I had not seen. That led to a funny incident a few years later. During that game the P.A. announcer was very loud in saying who had hit a three pointer. My wife and I cringed every time the Aces connected on one.

So a few years later at work I met an intern who was from Evansville. I said that I had seen a basketball game at Roberts Stadium and said that announcer was something else. I was so relieved that I didn't say what I was thinking, because the girl said "That was my dad. He's the man." I couldn't believe that coincidence could occur!
Sascha Hupman!!!...

In a Watercooler thread, the topic of favorite players came up in the context of one's kids. I'd love to hear from others about your most memorable, most moving moment of sports-watching in your lifetime and why did it/does it matter so much to you?

Watching the 2016 Cubs win it all was special for me. Baseball was always my favorite sport to play and my grandfather, dad, and I are or were lifelong Cubs fans. I actually never thought I'd see it in my lifetime and wept in joy that night and next day thinking about it.

But I think my most memorable moment was watching my son get the game winning hit in a coach-pitch league when he was 8. Leading up to that game, he had very few hits and was sad about it, telling me he wasn't as good as the other kids and I think he thought he was letting me down since I was the coach. The truth was, he wasn't a great athlete, but in coach pitch it's a lot about the dad pitching to the kids and hitting their bat--timing the pitch and the arc of the ball to the way that kid swings. And I was the coach pitcher who had been choking throwing to my own son. In this game, though, we both got it right and he had 5 "hits" (you put the ball in play with 7 and 8-year-olds, you typically reach base), including the game winner in the last inning. My boy was so happy, he was jumping up and down like he'd just won the Super Bowl with a giant smile on his face as his teammates mobbed him. I'll never forget it.
I have several, but those parent/child moments are the best. I'm happy when IU or one of my hometown teams comes up big, but the pride you get from a kid performing well in a big moment is unmatchable.

If I had to pick a single moment from a college or pro sports game, it would definitely be the Cubs winning the World Series. My dad had passed away the year before and I brought his mass card to game 7, which I snuck into, but that's an entirely different story. Such a ridiculous roller coaster of emotions during that entire playoff run and then Chapman blowing it and then the rain delay until finally....glory! Being happy has seldom brought me to tears, but that certainly did.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT