ADVERTISEMENT

Your most moving sports-watching experience

A

anon_6hv78pr714xta

In a Watercooler thread, the topic of favorite players came up in the context of one's kids. I'd love to hear from others about your most memorable, most moving moment of sports-watching in your lifetime and why did it/does it matter so much to you?

Watching the 2016 Cubs win it all was special for me. Baseball was always my favorite sport to play and my grandfather, dad, and I are or were lifelong Cubs fans. I actually never thought I'd see it in my lifetime and wept in joy that night and next day thinking about it.

But I think my most memorable moment was watching my son get the game winning hit in a coach-pitch league when he was 8. Leading up to that game, he had very few hits and was sad about it, telling me he wasn't as good as the other kids and I think he thought he was letting me down since I was the coach. The truth was, he wasn't a great athlete, but in coach pitch it's a lot about the dad pitching to the kids and hitting their bat--timing the pitch and the arc of the ball to the way that kid swings. And I was the coach pitcher who had been choking throwing to my own son. In this game, though, we both got it right and he had 5 "hits" (you put the ball in play with 7 and 8-year-olds, you typically reach base), including the game winner in the last inning. My boy was so happy, he was jumping up and down like he'd just won the Super Bowl with a giant smile on his face as his teammates mobbed him. I'll never forget it.

2002 IU-Duke. Went to my parent's house to watch the game. Figured it wouldn't even be close but had a "feeling" about it. My dad isn't a big rah rah sports fan, very subdued. By the middle of the 2nd half we were both up pacing around yelling at the screen (I'd been up the whole game, we were both drinking as you do). I remember it most b/c we were talking to each other like we were in a bar, like we were friends. I was 26 at the time. Not that we hadn't graduated to a different kind of father/son relationship at that point but it felt more real.

Anyway, I saw a side of my dad that he'd never really shared (he let loose a little bit). Pretty cool looking back nearly 20 years later. Plus IU won. Freaking Maryland, dammit.

In a Watercooler thread, the topic of favorite players came up in the context of one's kids. I'd love to hear from others about your most memorable, most moving moment of sports-watching in your lifetime and why did it/does it matter so much to you?

Watching the 2016 Cubs win it all was special for me. Baseball was always my favorite sport to play and my grandfather, dad, and I are or were lifelong Cubs fans. I actually never thought I'd see it in my lifetime and wept in joy that night and next day thinking about it.

But I think my most memorable moment was watching my son get the game winning hit in a coach-pitch league when he was 8. Leading up to that game, he had very few hits and was sad about it, telling me he wasn't as good as the other kids and I think he thought he was letting me down since I was the coach. The truth was, he wasn't a great athlete, but in coach pitch it's a lot about the dad pitching to the kids and hitting their bat--timing the pitch and the arc of the ball to the way that kid swings. And I was the coach pitcher who had been choking throwing to my own son. In this game, though, we both got it right and he had 5 "hits" (you put the ball in play with 7 and 8-year-olds, you typically reach base), including the game winner in the last inning. My boy was so happy, he was jumping up and down like he'd just won the Super Bowl with a giant smile on his face as his teammates mobbed him. I'll never forget it.
87 NCAA Championship when my Hoosiers won was a great moment. I was stationed at Grissom AFB and watched the game in one of the airman's room who had a tv. In a room full of 25 people I was the only one rooting for IU. Most people at Grissom AFB IN didn't want to be there so they were rooting for Syracuse. I on the other hand was thrilled to get stationed there since I am a Hoosier who loves Indiana.

I have an 8 your old son.
He's like living in a 24 hour bouncy house.
He has the energy of the sun.
If he was a volume knob, he would be on 10. All day. All night.
He runs down the hallway.
He runs down kroger aisles.
Put him in an open field he'll run till you say 'stop running'.
And I've probably said, 'stop running' more than I've said his name.
On a whim, my wife and I put him in a 1 kilometer race.
He didn't know the track, never ran a real race in his life.
Out of 200 kids in his age group he finished 5th, and he was tripped up in the beginning.
Had the race been longer he would have won.
Watching him pass kids during the last leg of the race was the most thrilling event I've ever been apart of.

uummm....were you at Shoaff last monday for the race?
Out of 200 kids in his age group he finished 5th, and he was tripped up in the beginning.
Watching him pass kids during the last leg of the race was the most thrilling event I've ever been apart of.

Reactions: Warison
No, it was a couple Mondays ago. Sept 27, I think. We didn't know about this event. Signed him up late, like I said, on a whim. He didn't even have the t shirt. But yes, Shoaff Park!

We are investigating on how to further this activity for him.

In college or professional sports, I would say:

1980 Olympic hockey- USA over the Russians
Benson tip in in 1976 against Mich to keep unbeaten streak alive
Nicklaus winning the 1986 Masters
Keith Smart 1987 shot
2002 IU vs Duke
The Wat shot
1999 Ryder Cup- US comeback
2006 Colts AFC Championship game to go to Super Bowl

Kids: Son winning state football last year as a JR at Lucas Oil and being named 1st team all-state in baseball as a JR. Hopefully we can repeat as state champ this year.

"Run Forrest, Run...

Reactions: Warison
Sports overall... IU/Michigan. Jay Edwards hits the game winner. My uncle was friends with Tim Garl and Garl had left him tickets at Will Call. My uncle couldn’t go so he said I could have the tickets. My buddy and his dad went with me to the game. 12th row center court. That place exploded when Jay hit the shot. My buddy’s dad still asks me if I can get those tickets again.

Son related... My son played in the 15U PBR Nationals at Lakepoint. Great facility. His team went through way to much pitching in the first 3 games and we were borderline making the championship bracket. My son threw 6 innings of 4 hit ball to give us a lead going into the 7th. His coach was going to pull him and let another kid close it out. My son got upset, not yelling and scream but he wanted to finish it. Coach gave him the ball for the seventh and he closed out the CG. The kid showed heart and that is something I will always remember.

The win got us in the final bracket where we got waxed 12-0 by a really good KBC team. No happening ending.

The entire 2002 run. I was a senior in high school and all I ever heard about growing up “were the good ol days of IU.” It was fun to actually experience it once in my lifetime. Might be the only time. Ha.

Sports overall... IU/Michigan. Jay Edwards hits the game winner. My uncle was friends with Tim Garl and Garl had left him tickets at Will Call. My uncle couldn’t go so he said I could have the tickets. My buddy and his dad went with me to the game. 12th row center court. That place exploded when Jay hit the shot. My buddy’s dad still asks me if I can get those tickets again.

Son related... My son played in the 15U PBR Nationals at Lakepoint. Great facility. His team went through way to much pitching in the first 3 games and we were borderline making the championship bracket. My son threw 6 innings of 4 hit ball to give us a lead going into the 7th. His coach was going to pull him and let another kid close it out. My son got upset, not yelling and scream but he wanted to finish it. Coach gave him the ball for the seventh and he closed out the CG. The kid showed heart and that is something I will always remember.

The win got us in the final bracket where we got waxed 12-0 by a really good KBC team. No happening ending.
Which summer baseball team does your son play for?

-IU/UNLV in 1987 semis
-Keith Smart's shot in the finals
-October 10, 1987: “This is the darkest day in Ohio State football", IU FB spanks OSU
-Reds sweep of the mighty A's in 1990 and Billy Hatcher playing like Babe Ruth, Jose Rijo, The Nasty Boys!!!
-Jay Edwards' buzzer beater over Michigan- I was in the stands behind the basket
-Super Bowl after 2001, upstart Patriots vs. greatest show on turf
-IU/Duke 2002 March Madness
-Super Bowl after 2014, Malcolm Butler!!!!!!!
-Super Bowl after 2016, Patriots overcome 28-3 deficit

I would put the "Wat shot" in there except I was at a company Christmas party and did not watch it live, I watched it on tape knowing what had happened!

Last edited:
Reactions: TomEric4756
Manchester United v Bayern Munich 1999. Champion's League Final.

United let a goal in like in the 21st min to Munich off a freekick. Then struggled to get up to speed on things -- really wasn't their day. And this was supposed to be the crowning glory of an amazing season where they won two other major trophies already (the league and the FA cup.)

Then in the 89th minute, they get a corner kick, United scores. 1-1.
On the re-start then get the ball back and drive towards the Bayern goal, gets another corner kick. They scored in the 90th minute.
Soon after, the ref puts the ball in the middle of the pitch for the re-start. Munich kicks off then the ref blows the whistle for full time.

The legend has it that the guy who puts the ribbon of the winners on the 'Big Ears' CL trophy had already put the Munich colours on and was in the lift when United score the winning goal. He had to rush back up and quickly change the ribbons and engrave the club's name on the silverware.
I was in shock for a few hours at what just happened.

I guess it truly is ain't over till (some would say) the large framed lady sings.

It was also the first time a major club has won the triple. It was the greatest sporting season of my life too. A team that just never gave up.

Last edited:
Reactions: anon_6hv78pr714xta
The Red Sox finally winning the World Series in 2004 after heartbreaks in 1967, 75, 78, 86 and 2003. I never thought it was going to happen in my lifetime. I had waited 86 years for that!
I experienced all those, too, but am only 67. That 2004 comeback against the Yankees will never be topped in Red Sox lore, I don't think.

1967 was when I first became a Red Sox fan and Yaz was my first baseball hero. 1975 broke my heart. Just a damn shame Yaz never won a WS. Maybe his grandson will.

Reactions: anon_6hv78pr714xta

Probably the 2004 WS when the Red Sox broke the curse. Lots of IU games, though - hard to pick just one.

Favorite kid moment was when my daughter was running XC and had just won her first race. She was a Senior and had become the best runner on her team, which was pretty good. Before Sectionals, she started having leg pain and turned out to be a stress fracture.

Her season was basically ended, but she wanted to run in the Sectionals, even though she was in a lot of pain. The field was tight, and it was going to be close for our girls to move on to Regionals. Before the race, I saw my daughter talking to one of the freshmen, who was OK, but not one of our stronger runners. She told her "You stay right with me until the turn to finish and then run as fast as you can".

My daughter ran a great race, even though she was in a lot of pain. I knew she'd fade at the end, because she just couldn't sprint with her leg like that. The other girl stayed with her and finished as our #5 runner and got us into the Regionals. My daughter was our #7 runner in the race, but had got her team to advance. We had to carry her back to the team tent.

When I tell her that was my greatest sports moment, she just scoffs. But to me, it showed real courage a fortitude, knowing she wasn't going to finish near the top, but helping her team. I was a very proud dad that day, and still am.

Last edited:
I experienced all those, too, but am only 67. That 2004 comeback against the Yankees will never be topped in Red Sox lore, I don't think.

1967 was when I first became a Red Sox fan and Yaz was my first baseball hero. 1975 broke my heart. Just a damn shame Yaz never won a WS. Maybe his grandson will.
I was joking about the 86 years, but it felt that many. I just turned 68, but I have been a Red Sox fan since 1964 in the days of Dick Raddatz and Felix Mantilla. The Sox were not good until that 1967 season. One of the reasons I felt the Sox were cursed was because each of the World Series appearances in 1967, 75 and 86 were without key pieces. Tony Conigliaro was beaned in August of 1967 and could not play in the WS and Ken Harrelson was added to that roster too late for the series. Jim Rice was hit by a pitch and broke his arm, and was not eligible to play in the series, and Tom Seaver injured his knee and could not pitch in the 1986 series. Each of those players may have made the difference in the outcome.

The crazy thing about Rice's injury was that it occurred in September and they did not even have to put him on the disabled list. The rosters were expanded to up to 40 players that month. Rice has said he was healthy enough to play in the series if was not on the DL. I had to watch the Cincinnati telecast when they play Boston, and those announcers never mention that Rice (a hall of famer) did not even play against the Reds.

Reactions: DANC
Probably the 2004 WS when the Red Sox broke the curse. Lots of IU games, though - hard to pick just one.

Favorite kid moment was when my daughter was running XC and had just won her first race. She was a Senior and had become the best runner on her team, which was pretty good. Before Sectionals, she started having leg pain and turned out to be a stress fracture.

Her season was basically ended, but she wanted to run in the Sectionals, even though she was in a lot of pain. The field was tight, and it was going to be close for our girls to move on to Regionals. Before the race, I saw my daughter talking to one of the freshmen, who was OK, but not one of our stronger runners. She told her "You stay right with me until the turn to finish and then run as fast as you can".

My daughter ran a great race, even though she was in a lot of pain. I knew she'd fade at the end, because she just couldn't sprint with her leg like that. The other girl stayed with her and finished as our #5 runner and got us into the Regionals. My daughter was our #7 runner in the race, but had done got her team to advance. We had to carry her back to the team tent.

When I tell her that was my greatest sports moment, she just scoffs. But to me, it showed real courage a fortitude, knowing she wasn't going to finish near the top, but helping her team. I was a very proud dad that day, and still am.
That is a great story about the courage from your daughter. One of the craziest stories I have ever read was about a cross country meet where a girl started choking and had to receive emergency medical treatment. It turned out that the girl in front of her kicked back a small rock and it went into the girl's throat behind her. What a bizarre thing to happen!

• Wow
Reactions: DANC and sglowrider
I was joking about the 86 years, but it felt that many. I just turned 68, but I have been a Red Sox fan since 1964 in the days of Dick Raddatz and Felix Mantilla. The Sox were not good until that 1967 season. One of the reasons I felt the Sox were cursed was because each of the World Series appearances in 1967, 75 and 86 were without key pieces. Tony Conigliaro was beaned in August of 1967 and could not play in the WS and Ken Harrelson was added to that roster too late for the series. Jim Rice was hit by a pitch and broke his arm, and was not eligible to play in the series, and Tom Seaver injured his knee and could not pitch in the 1986 series. Each of those players may have made the difference in the outcome.

The crazy thing about Rice's injury was that it occurred in September and they did not even have to put him on the disabled list. The rosters were expanded to up to 40 players that month. Rice has said he was healthy enough to play in the series if was not on the DL. I had to watch the Cincinnati telecast when they play Boston, and those announcers never mention that Rice (a hall of famer) did not even play against the Reds.
In '75 I watched the Series from my dorm room in Briscoe. Drinking heavily. I had just gotten out of the Army in July of '75 and 3 weeks later was at IU. Quite a culture shock.

I saw the Sox get killed by the Rays in person last Thursday night. The Rays fans were pretty obnoxious. I'd love to find each one of them and say "How do you like us now?" lol

Reactions: kkott
In '75 I watched the Series from my dorm room in Briscoe. Drinking heavily. I had just gotten out of the Army in July of '75 and 3 weeks later was at IU. Quite a culture shock.

I saw the Sox get killed by the Rays in person last Thursday night. The Rays fans were pretty obnoxious. I'd love to find each one of them and say "How do you like us now?" lol
The Rays don't deserve to even have a major league team, much less a team as good as that one. I knew they would not support a team there. The only sport people in Florida seem to like is football. I keep hoping that team eventually moves to Montreal. I think that would be a natural fit with rivals of Toronto, Boston and New York.

The Rays don't deserve to even have a major league team, much less a team as good as that one. I knew they would not support a team there. The only sport people in Florida seem to like is football. I keep hoping that team eventually moves to Montreal. I think that would be a natural fit with rivals of Toronto, Boston and New York.
Haven't they talked about doing a half season in Montreal and have in Tampa (really St. Pete)?

Tropicana Field is awful. You're right - they don't deserve a team and certainly don't support it. It wasn't close to a sellout for either playoff game.

Haven't they talked about doing a half season in Montreal and have in Tampa (really St. Pete)?

Tropicana Field is awful. You're right - they don't deserve a team and certainly don't support it. It wasn't close to a sellout for either playoff game.
That has been discussed about splitting the seasons between Montreal and Florida. I don't know how that would work. It doesn't seem right to the place where the first half of the season is played to lose the team the important second half.

I just never have understood why people at MLB didn't try to put a team in Florida for a more logical location. I think Orlando would have a built in attendance from tourists from the north who would come down to see their team and also attend Disney World. At least I think it would have been worth a try.

That has been discussed about splitting the seasons between Montreal and Florida. I don't know how that would work. It doesn't seem right to the place where the first half of the season is played to lose the team the important second half.

I just never have understood why people at MLB didn't try to put a team in Florida for a more logical location. I think Orlando would have a built in attendance from tourists from the north who would come down to see their team and also attend Disney World. At least I think it would have been worth a try.
Yeah, even though Orlando isn't that far from St. Pete, it would make more sense to put a team there, I think.

I assume they woudl rotate home stands, but who knows.

The Red Sox finally winning the World Series in 2004 after heartbreaks in 1967, 75, 78, 86 and 2003. I never thought it was going to happen in my lifetime. I had waited 86 years for that!
I lived in Massachusetts at the time and it was fun, though the World series was actually drama free and almost gravy, after that incredibly intense Yankees series.

Reactions: hoosier roadtrips
My daughter played on a field hockey team that won the state championship. Typical mob scene at the end of the game. Really proud. Really happy. Everything you would expect.

But … we knew all the girls and families. As we left, a girl walked past. She was a former player who was kicked off the team a month before the tourney for public drinking at a party. She was crying and by herself. Broke my heart.

Non-family - the 1969 D-II basketball championship in Robert’s Stadium in Evansville. My childhood hero George Tinsley hits two free throws to seal the win and lays down at the free throw line to end his college career as Kentucky Wesleyan wins over Curtis Perry-led Southwest Missouri (now Missouri State) for its 3rd championship in 4 years. His only tourney loss in 4 years was the 67 semifinal to Earl Monroe and Winston Salem (he played with the flu and we had another starter in the hospital. Monroe won it all.)

I lived in Massachusetts at the time and it was fun, though the World series was actually drama free and almost gravy, after that incredibly intense Yankees series.
That actually why I was worried terribly that they were going to lose the World Series, because I thought there would be a letdown after the playoffs with the Yanks. After what happened unbelievably in 1986 I was not going to breathe easily until the final out was made.

My daughter played on a field hockey team that won the state championship. Typical mob scene at the end of the game. Really proud. Really happy. Everything you would expect.

But … we knew all the girls and families. As we left, a girl walked past. She was a former player who was kicked off the team a month before the tourney for public drinking at a party. She was crying and by herself. Broke my heart.

Non-family - the 1969 D-II basketball championship in Robert’s Stadium in Evansville. My childhood hero George Tinsley hits two free throws to seal the win and lays down at the free throw line to end his college career as Kentucky Wesleyan wins over Curtis Perry-led Southwest Missouri (now Missouri State) for its 3rd championship in 4 years. His only tourney loss in 4 years was the 67 semifinal to Earl Monroe and Winston Salem (he played with the flu and we had another starter in the hospital. Monroe won it all.)
I attended a game once at Roberts Stadium because it was the only Division I arena in the state that I had not seen. That led to a funny incident a few years later. During that game the P.A. announcer was very loud in saying who had hit a three pointer. My wife and I cringed every time the Aces connected on one.

So a few years later at work I met an intern who was from Evansville. I said that I had seen a basketball game at Roberts Stadium and said that announcer was something else. I was so relieved that I didn't say what I was thinking, because the girl said "That was my dad. He's the man." I couldn't believe that coincidence could occur!

Last edited:
Yeah, even though Orlando isn't that far from St. Pete, it would make more sense to put a team there, I think.

I assume they woudl rotate home stands, but who knows
I used to travel to Toledo to see Pawtucket play the Mud Hens. That worked out each time except one. We were there at 6 p.m. for a 7 p.m. game and a beautiful evening, but nobody was warming up. Then we heard that Pawtucket's equipment did not arrive and it was uncertain if the game would be played. It finally got started three hours later and ended at midnight Indiana time. So I was eating chips that were won in a program to stay awake driving home and got back at 3 a.m.

The game itself had a funny moment. A ball was hit to Pawsox second baseman Gary Miller-Jones. He fumbled it, but was able to throw out the batter. An older couple was nearby us on the first base side, and the older man yelled out to the fielder that it must be nice to screw up the grounder, but still get the guy out. After a few seconds the fielder gave a gesture to the fan. He didn't see it, but his wife did and told that to her husband. He said, "He did what? Same to you." I was cracking up on that interchange.

• Haha

My Dad has been a Red Sox fan since his brother took him in 46 to St. Louis to watch the Red Sox play the Browns. It was a double header and Dad saw Ted Williams play in person. Dad knows every Williams fact pretty much. I bought him a book about Ted and it became one of his cherished possessions. I remember when I was a kid in 78 the Red Sox and Yankees were tied at the end of the year. So they played a one game playoff at Fenway. Bucky Dent hit a home run over the monster. My Dad was watching the game over at my Grandpa's house and for some reason I didn't go with him. I saw the home run and called my Dad and asked if he saw it. His voice trembled as he said, "Yeah". In the 2000's my Dad started to have mini strokes and I realized I wouldn't have him around forever. I actually prayed to God that my father would get to see the Red Sox win the series. The year I prayed was when they lost the first 3 to the Yankees and then won four straight. Then they won four straight against St. Louis to win the series. I bought Dad a t shirt to commemorate the win. The Sox went on to win two more series. So I asked God for one series and He gave us three.

My Dad has been a Red Sox fan since his brother took him in 46 to St. Louis to watch the Red Sox play the Browns. It was a double header and Dad saw Ted Williams play in person. Dad knows every Williams fact pretty much. I bought him a book about Ted and it became one of his cherished possessions. I remember when I was a kid in 78 the Red Sox and Yankees were tied at the end of the year. So they played a one game playoff at Fenway. Bucky Dent hit a home run over the monster. My Dad was watching the game over at my Grandpa's house and for some reason I didn't go with him. I saw the home run and called my Dad and asked if he saw it. His voice trembled as he said, "Yeah". In the 2000's my Dad started to have mini strokes and I realized I wouldn't have him around forever. I actually prayed to God that my father would get to see the Red Sox win the series. The year I prayed was when they lost the first 3 to the Yankees and then won four straight. Then they won four straight against St. Louis to win the series. I bought Dad a t shirt to commemorate the win. The Sox went on to win two more series. So I asked God for one series and He gave us three.
What a great story. There are many like that of children praying for their elderly parents to make it until the Sox won the WS.

For my part, until that last out vs. St. Louis, I still wasn't convinced they'd win it all. Next to IU winning the NCAA, that was the most emotional I've been for a sporting even (unless you count cursing uncontrolably at an IU Football game). After the Sox won, I just sat in stunned silence for about 10 minutes. My then-10 year old daughter said "Dad, aren't you excited?". I said yeah - I'm just trying to process it.

If any of you have not seen "Fenway Park Pizza Thrower" it is worth watching the Youtube video. It was from a 2007 game. What makes the incident hilarious is the exchange between Sox announcers Don Orsillo and Jerry Remy in talking about it.

-IU/UNLV in 1987 semis
-Keith Smart's shot in the finals
-October 10, 1987: “This is the darkest day in Ohio State football", IU FB spanks OSU
-Reds sweep of the mighty A's in 1990 and Billy Hatcher playing like Babe Ruth, Jose Rijo, The Nasty Boys!!!
-Jay Edwards' buzzer beater over Michigan- I was in the stands behind the basket
-Super Bowl after 2001, upstart Patriots vs. greatest show on turf
-IU/Duke 2002 March Madness
-Super Bowl after 2014, Malcolm Butler!!!!!!!
-Super Bowl after 2016, Patriots overcome 28-3 deficit

I would put the "Wat shot" in there except I was at a company Christmas party and did not watch it live, I watched it on tape knowing what had happened!
I knew the score of the Wat Shot game but not the how. So watching it I knew something was going to happen but not what. So I still got some of the feels

Manchester United v Bayern Munich 1999. Champion's League Final.

United let a goal in like in the 21st min to Munich off a freekick. Then struggled to get up to speed on things -- really wasn't their day. And this was supposed to be the crowning glory of an amazing season where they won two other major trophies already (the league and the FA cup.)

Then in the 89th minute, they get a corner kick, United scores. 1-1.
On the re-start then get the ball back and drive towards the Bayern goal, gets another corner kick. They scored in the 90th minute.
Soon after, the ref puts the ball in the middle of the pitch for the re-start. Munich kicks off then the ref blows the whistle for full time.

The legend has it that the guy who puts the ribbon of the winners on the 'Big Ears' CL trophy had already put the Munich colours on and was in the lift when United score the winning goal. He had to rush back up and quickly change the ribbons and engrave the club's name on the silverware.
I was in shock for a few hours at what just happened.

I guess it truly is ain't over till (some would say) the large framed lady sings.

It was also the first time a major club has won the triple. It was the greatest sporting season of my life too. A team that just never gave up.
OLE!!!

• Love
Reactions: sglowrider
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT