ADVERTISEMENT

Your "guilty pleasure" groups- that might surprise

cosmickid

Hall of Famer
Oct 23, 2009
Overall I'm not much of a fan of the 90s music, but I did like the Gin Blossoms...

Was reading about Sun Night's induction of the Smithereens into the NJ HOF, along with Southside Johnny. What caught my eye was that when the Smithereens played the lead vocal duties were shared by Marshall Crenshaw and Robin Wilson lead vocalist from the Gin Blossoms...

One of my guilty pleasure songs...

Reactions: tooold4
I still love Kid Rock's first album.

Cranberries 2nd Album - Judge me, don't care.

The War on Drugs - Terrrible band name, but I really like them.

Iron and Wine - I can spend entire winters just listening to Sam Beam

Fleet Foxes

Get ready for a tirade from TMP...……..
Hahaha ... I love his tirades. His rant about Bruce was spot on. 'Brown sounds' - genius.

He's one of the main reasons I still read this board. He could go through the phone book of rock bands and write a critic for each one and I would read them - twice. He's better than David Fricke. TMP knows what he's talking about but more importantly he knows how to effectively articulate himself. Lost art. Needless to say, I'm a big fan.

I lurk guitar forums. I know he's there somewhere, I just haven't been able to pick him out yet.

I noticed he stayed away from my RUSH thread and didn't kill me for my Buckethead posts. If I know TMP, like I think I do, I'm sure he hates them both.

I heard this song once back in 93 or 94 and really liked it. For years I would hear some of the lyrics, but I didn't know the name of the song and never heard it again on the radio. It started to bug me. Then about five years ago I started typing in random lyrics from what I remembered 20 some years before and I found it.

Hahaha ... I love his tirades. His rant about Bruce was spot on. 'Brown sounds' - genius.

He's one of the main reasons I still read this board. He could go through the phone book of rock bands and write a critic for each one and I would read them - twice. He's better than David Fricke. TMP knows what he's talking about but more importantly he knows how to effectively articulate himself. Lost art. Needless to say, I'm a big fan.

I lurk guitar forums. I know he's there somewhere, I just haven't been able to pick him out yet.

I noticed he stayed away from my RUSH thread and didn't kill me for my Buckethead posts. If I know TMP, like I think I do, I'm sure he hates them both.

But here's my thing.....if it's crappy music but it makes someone feel good, why the F does it matter?

But here's my thing.....if it's crappy music but it makes someone feel good, why the F does it matter?

It doesn't. At least with music I can understand getting in to the nuance and depth. The one that cracks me up are beer snobs. It's beer! It's not supposed to be complicated!

Reactions: sdhoosier
Because enjoying music is subjective to a person's taste but understanding it is very much like understanding a language, because that's what it is and a majority of people are illiterate. Most confuse the two conversation " ie "what I like" and "what is well made" as being one and the same, when most often it's not and most don't have the knowledge to determine well made from crap, they only know what they like.

It's just like basketball, many people can enjoy the game without knowing a damn thing about it - I give you, you and the freeboard as examples - I doubt a majority of you could even run a simple play but you can still have fun watching it.

ABBA

Overall I'm not much of a fan of the 90s music, but I did like the Gin Blossoms...

Was reading about Sun Night's induction of the Smithereens into the NJ HOF, along with Southside Johnny. What caught my eye was that when the Smithereens played the lead vocal duties were shared by Marshall Crenshaw and Robin Wilson lead vocalist from the Gin Blossoms...

One of my guilty pleasure songs...

A totally shite repetitious song and she does everything to sell it, including floating above the crowd in a garbage can.....

Seriously guys, some of you need to get out more. There are tons of bands in the 90s that were fantastic. Some songs just off the top of my head:

Oasis

Radiohead

Blur

The Verve

Seriously guys, some of you need to get out more. There are tons of bands in the 90s that were fantastic. Some songs just off the top of my head:

Oasis

Radiohead

Blur

The Verve

You really need to quit listening to pop music, (ie Oasis) it's to music what McDonald's is to food, and will cause your ear drums to become dumb.

It doesn't. At least with music I can understand getting in to the nuance and depth. The one that cracks me up are beer snobs. It's beer! It's not supposed to be complicated!
take your McRib and wash it down with a bud light

after that you should suck start a shotgun you no talent assclown

Reactions: sluggo69
take your McRib and wash it down with a bud light

after that you should suck start a shotgun you no talent assclown

So much angst over beer! I guess trying to decipher the nuances of a Saison or triple IPA will lead to that. I never said drink bad beer, I'm just saying don't overcomplicate it. It's like trying to decipher a sunset or beautiful woman, both of which I find infinitely more fascinating than beer. Just appreciate it for what it is and enjoy it. Know what I do when I find a beer I don't like? Don't order it again, and if I do like it, I'll have another. Simple... like a good beer!

So much angst over beer! I guess trying to decipher the nuances of a Saison or triple IPA will lead to that. I never said drink bad beer, I'm just saying don't overcomplicate it. It's like trying to decipher a sunset or beautiful woman, both of which I find infinitely more fascinating than beer. Just appreciate it for what it is and enjoy it. Know what I do when I find a beer I don't like? Don't order it again, and if I do like it, I'll have another. Simple... like a good beer!

I could drink Pabst if the company was good.

Reactions: kkott

Exactly. I'm far more interested in who I'm having said beer with, than the beer itself. I'd much rather drink shitty beer with outstanding company, than vice versa... I'll spend more of my time worrying about who I'm having the beer with. Getting a beer I like has never caused me much distress, nor will it!

Debbie was a hottie in the day... maybe a good subject for an SD now and then thread!
Joan Jett's eyes had a special power. Saw her in concert as the opening act for Loverboy. I liked Joan Jett the best. My girlfriend liked Loverboy. The ride home was hot!

Reactions: All4You and kkott
Joan Jett's eyes had a special power. Saw her in concert as the opening act for Loverboy. I liked Joan Jett the best. My girlfriend liked Loverboy. The ride home was hot!

Was just thinking about hot rockers from the 80s... not a terribly long list: Debbie Harry, Joan Jett, Pat Benetar, Nancy Wilson... then it starts getting thin by my recollection. Madonna, Bangles singer, are starting to get a little out of the 80s... who am I forgetting, or better yet, who do we need to add (with supporting pics!)?

Was just thinking about hot rockers from the 80s... not a terribly long list: Debbie Harry, Joan Jett, Pat Benetar, Nancy Wilson... then it starts getting thin by my recollection. Madonna, Bangles singer, are starting to get a little out of the 80s... who am I forgetting, or better yet, who do we need to add (with supporting pics!)?
Nothing much to look at, but the Pretenders w Chrissie Hynde were my favorite girl rocker-led group by far in that era, musically.

Reactions: kkott

220px-DivinylsAlbumcover.jpg

Suzanna Hoffs of the Bangles was hot. Lita Ford could look rough at times but was somewhat hot. Madonna was only attractive to me for a short time.

A friend of mine worked with and to produced a surfboarding champion that wanted to have a career in rock named Daize Shayne. In partial trade for his work, she taught his kids how to surf. I met her on one of my visits to Costa Mesa. This gorgeous girl stepped out of a beat up S-10 truck with a long surfboard in the back. Parts of the attached video was shot at my friend's house and with his car. A Google search of her might be more enjoyable than the video.

Reactions: hookyIU1990

3 of my favorite qualities when I'm craving a beer: cold, free and handy! I've enjoyed some pretty bad beer in certain circumstances when I really wanted one.

3 of my favorite qualities when I'm craving a beer: cold, free and handy! I've enjoyed some pretty bad beer in certain circumstances when I really wanted one.
Miller High Life is the only beer i will turn down. It has the oddest taste......and by turn down i mean having only one or two

When you have had alcohol in some dark dingy places, it doesn't really matter. I have have had a fizzy orange drink mixed with crappy red 'wine' (more like paint stripper) in a dodgy karaoke joint (in China) The women were even attractive. Pabst seems almost premium after this.

Anne Murray, from a nostalgia standpoint more than anything. She was a favorite of both my mom and dad, and her Greatest Hits album was a staple in the car's 8 track player growing up, so I knew (and probably STILL know) every damned song on that album by heart.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT