ADVERTISEMENT

Guilty Pleasure thread

IUCrazy2

Hall of Famer
Mar 7, 2004
The show Cobra Kai came up in the Centralized NGO thread and it is one of those shows for me that is a guilty pleasure. It is pretty cheesy, I mean it comes from the 80's Karate Kid franchise and had a bunch of the same aesthetic, but it sucked me in.

So a non political thread, what are some of your entertainment guilty pleasures?

Another streaming show for me is The Last Kingdom on Netflix, based on the Saxon Chronicles series. Quite a bit of it is character goes on quest, completes, needs to move to next quest...gets girl, loses girl, gets new girl type of stuff but it was just kind of guilty pleasure fun. It is a time period I find interesting and it loosely follows and involves some historically accurate people (if not always in the right timeframe or exactly how things went) so it is kind of fun for a history nerd like me.

Music, one of my guilty pleasures is Blink 182. Takes me back to a specific point in life. Lyrics are pretty juvenile in some cases or teenage angsty and the music itself is 3 chord pop punk, but I enjoy it.

So what about you? Let everyone know how bad your tastes are when no one is around to judge you.

The show Cobra Kai came up in the Centralized NGO thread and it is one of those shows for me that is a guilty pleasure. It is pretty cheesy, I mean it comes from the 80's Karate Kid franchise and had a bunch of the same aesthetic, but it sucked me in.

So a non political thread, what are some of your entertainment guilty pleasures?

Another streaming show for me is The Last Kingdom on Netflix, based on the Saxon Chronicles series. Quite a bit of it is character goes on quest, completes, needs to move to next quest...gets girl, loses girl, gets new girl type of stuff but it was just kind of guilty pleasure fun. It is a time period I find interesting and it loosely follows and involves some historically accurate people (if not always in the right timeframe or exactly how things went) so it is kind of fun for a history nerd like me.

Music, one of my guilty pleasures is Blink 182. Takes me back to a specific point in life. Lyrics are pretty juvenile in some cases or teenage angsty and the music itself is 3 chord pop punk, but I enjoy it.

So what about you? Let everyone know how bad your tastes are when no one is around to judge you.
Southern Charm. Horrible show. I can hardly even believe how good it is

Mine is Owning the Libs….

The Last Kingdom is what I’m watching now, still early in the first season. Watched it all the way through well over a year ago but I have to watch it again so I can watch this new season.

My guilty pleasure show is Eureka. Corny and quirky but a lot of fun. Interesting concept of getting all of the country’s great scientists/inventors in one town.

Then there’s Hell on Wheels. Great show. Main character should be Lucas Davenport if they ever make John Sandford’s “Prey” books into a series

What female in your life got you started on that one? :p
Honestly it's not that great anymore. But it was fantastic for a while. The one guy Thomas Ravenel was a fantastic character. Old money, famous sir name in Charleston. Politics. Real estate. All of it. Show starts with him post prison. Knocks up his gf who is 30 years younger. Real bad drunk. Runs for senate. Gets like 1 percent vote. Super dapper. Great house in the city. Some hot chick characters Blah blah blah

The Equalizer on CBS after 60 minutes.
We have been watching it, I remember watching the original.

For me it is Selena and Chef. For someone who has been a celebrity her entire life, she seems very down to earth. Even pretty down on herself. But she shows her mistakes, and there are a lot of them. It isn't over produced like any other cooking show.

It doesn't hurt that in my youth I had crushes on Valerie Bertinelli and Linda Ronstadt. She looks a lot like both.

Reactions: larsIU
LOL. Thumbs up from Marvin. Should have known. The hacker dude puts Garcia to shame, doesn't he?
The hacker sadly is probably more realistic than we hope. Not your script kitty, but what a crime syndicate or state actor could do

For me it is Selena and Chef. For someone who has been a celebrity her entire life, she seems very down to earth. Even pretty down on herself. But she shows her mistakes, and there are a lot of them. It isn't over produced like any other cooking show.

It doesn't hurt that in my youth I had crushes on Valerie Bertinelli and Linda Ronstadt. She looks a lot like both.
There’s a lot Valerie now upon which you can have a crush. My bride watches her cooking show weekend mornings.

And Linda Ronstadt . . . .oh, my.

I don’t quite agree about Cobra Kai. The plot is cheesy. The life struggles of the characters are very real and easily understood. . I think today’s non-cheesy dramas are unnecessarily complex and unrealistic. That’s not Cobra Kai.

Guilty pleasures? I don’t miss Roadhouse. I watch Highway Thru Hell and Heavy Rescue 401.

Music. Duane Eddy is prominently on a few playlists.

I don’t quite agree about Cobra Kai. The plot is cheesy. The life struggles of the characters are very real and easily understood. . I think today’s non-cheesy dramas are unnecessarily complex and unrealistic. That’s not Cobra Kai.

Guilty pleasures? I don’t miss Roadhouse. I watch Highway Thru Hell and Heavy Rescue 401.

Oh, thanks. Now I have to go search out some of his great stuff. Such a cool (I don’t know what passes as a better word now, and I don’t care) sound out of his guitar. Then I’ll have several ear worms working overtime all night.

Schwarber had one of the greatest tantrums in MLB history. Any who hasn't seen it should look it up. But the real question is why is Hernandez still umping. With Joe West gone, Hernandez took the move to be the worst umpire.
Wish I had seen it in real time. When you have your opponents and the broadcasters “agreeing” with your display then maybe you’ve struck gold and hit a nerve.

Watch Hernandez be quietly retired.

Wish I had seen it in real time. When you have your opponents and the broadcasters “agreeing” with your display then maybe you’ve struck gold and hit a nerve.

Watch Hernandez be quietly retired.
The key was he kept it short. Too many drag it out. Hernandez has been around forever, so had West who I thought was horrible. It seems MLB has tenure.

Lol. I've watched those truck shows too. I used to really like ice road truckers

Can’t believe she hasn’t lopped off a finger yet. Fun to watch, & we’ve made many of the recipes…if she can do it surely I can.

Reactions: Marvin the Martian
Can’t believe she hasn’t lopped off a finger yet. Fun to watch, & we’ve made many of the recipes…if she can do it surely I can.
I haven't tried yet but I should. I have caught my oven on fire fewer times in my life than she has in three seasons. So I should be able to make them.

Watching trucker YouTube channels. Sometimes cool to see places they drive and commentary. The comments section is either other truckers or the feel of Antiques Roadshow.

Also lots of shows my wife watches. Project Runway, Bridgerton, currently rewatching Downton, and, unfortunately, Southern Charm for about one season.

Reactions: IUCrazy2
Watching trucker YouTube channels. Sometimes cool to see places they drive and commentary. The comments section is either other truckers or the feel of Antiques Roadshow.

Also lots of shows my wife watches. Project Runway, Bridgerton, currently rewatching Downton, and, unfortunately, Southern Charm for about one season.
If you enjoy podcasts, Over the Road is a good one about long haul trucking

Reactions: IUclover

Yes! I think some of these posters are off. I like deadliest catch, gold rush, pawn stars, american pickers, on and on. I thought it was supposed to be that you were ashamed to watch

Heartland. A severe lack of boobs, but it's got some beautiful scenery and horses.

I binge-watched The Last Kingdom a couple months ago and couldn't stop watching. I just happened to start watching it and loved it.

Selling Sunset is right up there - just started watching. Those women are unbelievably beautiful.

Reactions: IUCrazy2

Forgot about music. I sometimes go back to 2000s emo playlists, including Dashboard Confessional, Sum41, and The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus. Same with 90s R&B - Joe, Genuine, etc.

Yes! I think some of these posters are off. I like deadliest catch, gold rush, pawn stars, american pickers, on and on. I thought it was supposed to be that you were ashamed to watch
Same. Oh well. I used to watch those same shows way too much.

I’ll add another to the list. Sex Education on Netflix. Thought it would be an American HS drama but it’s more of a British HS comedy (and the first scene shows boobs).

Edit: I also like to mix two cereals together. Add granola on the top of whatever to make myself feel better.

Last edited:
Same. Oh well. I used to watch those same shows way too much.

I’ll add another to the list. Sex Education on Netflix. Thought it would be an American HS drama but it’s more of a British HS comedy (and the first scene shows boobs).

Edit: I also like to mix two cereals together. Add granola on the top of whatever to make myself feel better.
My stoker recently downloaded some app called Yuka. It's horrible. You scan the bar codes on all your food and get a rating from 0 - 100. The Starbucks cans are a 0.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT