ADVERTISEMENT

You have to learn to win!

klagow

Redshirt
Apr 25, 2010
We did not beat a team with a winning record all year, gave the head coach a new contract, had Tenn on the ropes, and lost. If your heart isn’t broken for those guys playing then you should not be watching football because there is nothing that will anger a player more than playing hard and having a game taken away by stupid decisions. And nothing will hurt recruiting more than players sitting at home watching questionable coaching. The last bowl we lost we fired a coach who was effectively the OC/head coach so we could give the opponent a chance and still were in the game, this time............oh well. Next year IU will win the national championship, at least we will believe until the first snap. I am sorry, and it isn’t anything against him, but who the hell throws the ball away on third down with 30+- seconds left and needing to get to get a field goal? Throw the damn ball in the middle and get your ass to the line and spike the damn thing! Ramsey played his ass off and used all the talent he had, just bad damn coaching. And now the new OC is leaving!

We did not beat a team with a winning record all year, gave the head coach a new contract, had Tenn on the ropes, and lost. If your heart isn’t broken for those guys playing then you should not be watching football because there is nothing that will anger a player more than playing hard and having a game taken away by stupid decisions. And nothing will hurt recruiting more than players sitting at home watching questionable coaching. The last bowl we lost we fired a coach who was effectively the OC/head coach so we could give the opponent a chance and still were in the game, this time............oh well. Next year IU will win the national championship, at least we will believe until the first snap. I am sorry, and it isn’t anything against him, but who the hell throws the ball away on third down with 30+- seconds left and needing to get to get a field goal? Throw the damn ball in the middle and get your ass to the line and spike the damn thing! Ramsey played his ass off and used all the talent he had, just bad damn coaching. And now the new OC is leaving!

We get it. You don’t like the coach because he ruined Richard’s pro career.

Can you stop with the vendetta?
There is a reason Ramsey replaced him. You understand that, right?

I loved Richard but when you compete more passes to the other team that is a problem. Please just take your bitterness and move on. You are just making yourself look bad.

Mr. Lagow is on a full-fledged vendetta tonight on Allen. I think he thought Richard was destined for the NFL first round until Allen ruined him....I guess?

This is almost like Nojel Eastern’s mom. Embarrassing.

It’s like a little league parent syndrome.
I agree but it only makes him and some of these other jerks look bad. You know even the Great Nick Saban with all of his 4* and 5* recruits made some bad decisions that cost him this year. No one is perfect no even Belicheck.

I get it, you are a two year old who thinks he knows everyone’s objective. The post is was not about anyone as much as the frustration of watching the kids. And for the record, Richard’s “pro career” is going just fine thank you and he is exactly where I wanted him. I have/am raised five kids with three playing or will have played D1 level ball but none were/are being raised to have a sports “career”.

Man, I did not know you and the other clown had a full string of attacks on this page. There are only a couple of people who even looked at this string and you two worked yourselves into a frenzy feeding off each other. I don’t like Allen because he is a bad coach. But I honestly thought the new OC and DC were going to save the hire and allow Allen to be an administrator and the setup was good. It may still. But we have to start beating teams that are winners in order to believe. Otherwise, and I am fairly sure you never really played so you won’t understand, there always comes a point in the game where a player wonders what will go wrong. I have been on teams that won it all and then earlier teams that seemed to shoot itself in the foot. Beating teams quality teams and demanding excellence makes the difference. People like you and others, who celebrate beating high school teams, are what allows this program to get stuck. But you keep missing the point since that is your sole petty ability.....smallness.

Man, I did not know you and the other clown had a full string of attacks on this page. There are only a couple of people who even looked at this string and you two worked yourselves into a frenzy feeding off each other. I don’t like Allen because he is a bad coach. But I honestly thought the new OC and DC were going to save the hire and allow Allen to be an administrator and the setup was good. It may still. But we have to start beating teams that are winners in order to believe. Otherwise, and I am fairly sure you never really played so you won’t understand, there always comes a point in the game where a player wonders what will go wrong. I have been on teams that won it all and then earlier teams that seemed to shoot itself in the foot. Beating teams quality teams and demanding excellence makes the difference. People like you and others, who celebrate beating high school teams, are what allows this program to get stuck. But you keep missing the point since that is your sole petty ability.....smallness.

I understand that your son played here but are you really a fan of the program since things didn’t work out for him?

Coach Wilson recruited your son. Coach Wilson had some of the worse game management I’ve ever seen. Blowing a 25 point lead to Rutgers when he could have run clock but instead had Sudfeld throwing into triple coverage.

Did you talk about this with your son about his coaching tactics before he signed?

Reactions: JohnsyRick
People like you and others, who celebrate beating high school teams, are what allows this program to get stuck. But you keep missing the point since that is your sole petty ability.....smallness.
I'm embarrassed for Richard. He doesn't deserve to be humiliated like this.

Uncle mark,
I understand that your son played here but are you really a fan of the program since things didn’t work out for him?

Coach Wilson recruited your son. Coach Wilson had some of the worse game management I’ve ever seen. Blowing a 25 point lead to Rutgers when he could have run clock but instead had Sudfeld throwing into triple coverage.

Did you talk about this with your son about his coaching tactics before he signed?
Things didn’t work out for him? He had a great college experience. You are the only one who seems obsessed with bringing him into it. Not sure why, but by our book things worked out very well.

Lol, I was just thinking the same thing about posters like you and their family who sit around gaining some sort of self appreciating insignificant standing by posting anonymously and negatively on a board seldom seen by anyone except similarly lost souls. Guys, it isn’t hard to understand why the program has struggled, there are way too many of you that prefer to cowardly hide anonymously and prefer to beat your chest for not beating a team with a winning record. If you do not schedule tougher non conference teams it is impossible to prep for the MS and M’s of the world. The schedule has to be tougher if you want to improve, that is all there is to it.

Lol, I was just thinking the same thing about posters like you and their family who sit around gaining some sort of self appreciating insignificant standing by posting anonymously and negatively on a board seldom seen by anyone except similarly lost souls. Guys, it isn’t hard to understand why the program has struggled, there are way too many of you that prefer to cowardly hide anonymously and prefer to beat your chest for not beating a team with a winning record. If you do not schedule tougher non conference teams it is impossible to prep for the MS and M’s of the world. The schedule has to be tougher if you want to improve, that is all there is to it.
I rest my case, Yer Onner.

Reactions: YOTHN
I get it, you are a two year old who thinks he knows everyone’s objective. The post is was not about anyone as much as the frustration of watching the kids. And for the record, Richard’s “pro career” is going just fine thank you and he is exactly where I wanted him. I have/am raised five kids with three playing or will have played D1 level ball but none were/are being raised to have a sports “career”.

Lol Wow. Are you really blaming Richards inability to perform on the coach? This might be the funniest thing I've ever read. For Richard's sake, step away from the keyboard and stop soiling the Lagow name. I liked the heart of Richard and the effort he gave to the program. His dad on the other hand....

Big Red, I can guarantee you that our family has significantly more ties to the program and Indiana than anyone you will meet, but keep dreaming it didn’t work out. Good grief some people on this board are afraid of r
I rest my case, Yer Onner.
good. There wasn’t much to it since it comes from a phantom superstar.

Lol Wow. Are you really blaming Richards inability to perform on the coach? This might be the funniest thing I've ever read. For Richard's sake, step away from the keyboard and stop soiling the Lagow name. I liked the heart of Richard and the effort he gave to the program. His dad on the other hand....
I hope Richard doesn't know about this. I'd be mortified if my dad was showing his ass on my alma mater's fan site this way.

Sorry, didn’t see anything in my post blaming. And my concern for what anonymous people think is extremely low. You want to step up and have a discussion like an adult, I am good. But a coward who hides is hardly someone I will concern myself with. What this string was about is my belief the team needs to compete at a higher level in the non conference games and worry less about bowl games. Fix the schedule and we will see a higher level of play, period.

I hope Richard doesn't know about this. I'd be mortified if my dad was showing his ass on my alma mater's fan site this way.

Exactly, I think he doesnt realize there are other people on this board who have played for the program. It's best to just take a deep breath and walk away. Don't trust us? Just ask Richard.

Lol, my guess is your alma mater is probably grade school so I doubt anyone would care.

Exactly, I think he doesnt realize there are other people on this board who have played for the program. It's best to just take a deep breath and walk away. Don't trust us? Just ask Richard.
Actually I do, I just don’t have a concern for children who sit anonymously behind a keyboard and drag stuff up to feel important. And it really isn’t hard to figure out who has played and who is the video superstar.

Last edited:
He's really escalated. Drinking problem? Might explain the CKW love.

Sorry, didn’t see anything in my post blaming. And my concern for what anonymous people think is extremely low. You want to step up and have a discussion like an adult, I am good. But a coward who hides is hardly someone I will concern myself with. What this string was about is my belief the team needs to compete at a higher level in the non conference games and worry less about bowl games. Fix the schedule and we will see a higher level of play, period.

IU has one of the toughest schedules in the country. Your point is ridiculous.

Actually I do, I just don’t have a concern for children who sit anonymously behind a keyboard and drag stuff up to feel important. And it really isn’t hard to figure out who has played, they people who played and who is the video superstar.

Lol. You mad?

IU has one of the toughest schedules in the country. Your point is ridiculous.
That isn’t it. It is the non conference that I am talking about. We need to be tested before we hit the big 10 schedule.

That isn’t it. It is the non conference that I am talking about. We need to be tested before we hit the big 10 schedule.

That's not how you build a program. You're clueless. That logic is what led us to 1 bowl game in 25 years.

That's not how you build a program. You're clueless. That logic is what led us to 1 bowl game in 25 years.
And that is the problem. It is exactly how you build a program but most fans are just concerned with a bowl game. The program can do better, it has great facilities and is perfectly set up. You can not name one area where IU can not match up with the top programs as far as the school, facilities and atmosphere. The flow of players comes and goes in any program, but the foundation is the school and facilities. If the coach knows what he is doing the program is fine.

I think the OP's point was that we didn't beat a team with a winning record. We play some great teams, but the non-conference schedule is still kinda soft.

OK, back to bickering.

Reactions: klagow
IU used to play the Oregons of the world in the nonconference. Check out Alabamas out of conference schedule. It's as WEAK as it can get.
I agree, but Alabama is a known product. I was sitting with a trainer just an hour ago, who works with my younger son and only played six years in the pros, and lamenting on the IU game, and he said the exact same thing. Somehow we have to prove to the players they can beat the MS of the world and at least one tougher team in non conference might be enough. Alabama walks into a game believing they are the best, we have to get there.

And whether or not the fans admit it, you can watch a player and tell if he is confident and believes they can get it done. I want to see an IU team that, when they are warming up, does not need the coaches firing them up, does not need the sideline antics, and when they walk onto the field they look like they believe they are the 800lbs gorilla! Then you win games that maybe you shouldn’t. Then you win ugly at times where once you would lose. I know how to get there because a lifetime ago I was fortunate enough to be on a couple of teams that were pretty good. And others on this board who have been there know. But it is impossible to transfer that knowledge and that attitude, you have to go earn it somehow. And...... it does not matter because most of us are too old to play and chose other career paths than coaching.

Last edited:

But isn’t it a chicken or egg scenario Mr. Lagow?

How do you get better recruits when you schedule like that and go 4-8?

Okay, so you’ve upped the competition AND you’ll play 4 of the best teams in the conference each year. How does a growing program attract talent without the wins?

You don’t.

Playing Alabama in non-conference means you can blow out Tennessee in a bowl? If you do it right, you schedule tougher programs when the thing you are building actually gets established.

Okay, so you’ve upped the competition AND you’ll play 4 of the best teams in the conference each year. How does a growing program attract talent without the wins?

You don’t.

Playing Alabama in non-conference means you can blow out Tennessee in a bowl? If you do it right, you schedule tougher programs when the thing you are building actually gets established.
It is tough, I agree. And to some extent I think the ethics of IU create some disadvantage. Look at Baylor under Briles and any number of teams that suddenly rise. Most cheat. Not all, but they walk right to the line and maybe have a toe or two over. I do not believe IU football has a crooked bone in the lot and to me that is a bigger plus. So we have to win with quality and intellect and they can, they are ready, but we have to start turning up the non conference competition. I would not suggest an Alabama, but surely we can find a middle ground team or two.

You don’t.

And I will also say that my big concern about scheduling tougher teams is the injury factor. I think we are deep enough now that we could go ahead and get after some of the better teams from non power five conferences, but you are absolutely correct......it is a very difficult road if you aren’t cheating. After the game I was ready to help establish a slush fund. I suspect many of you were the same.

It is tough, I agree. And to some extent I think the ethics of IU create some disadvantage. Look at Baylor under Briles and any number of teams that suddenly rise. Most cheat. Not all, but they walk right to the line and maybe have a toe or two over. I do not believe IU football has a crooked bone in the lot and to me that is a bigger plus. So we have to win with quality and intellect and they can, they are ready, but we have to start turning up the non conference competition. I would not suggest an Alabama, but surely we can find a middle ground team or two.

We’ve done it in the past. Missouri, NC State, North Carolina, Virginia, Utah, Navy.

I don’t know if it ever helped us out a bit. Going to bowls in 2015 and 2016 didn’t exactly light up recruiting either.

We’ve done it in the past. Missouri, NC State, North Carolina, Virginia, Utah, Navy.

I don’t know if it ever helped us out a bit. Going to bowls in 2015 and 2016 didn’t exactly light up recruiting either.
Well, you and I both know that Wilson might not have been the best to get the team to the next level. Wilson was somewhat of a loose cannon and he would not delegate, they were stuck. As for Allen, I would never ever want my son to play for Allen if he played offense. Now, since my youngest plays Dtackle Allen is a hero. And he brought in coordinators. Allen is a very nice guy and I suspect every parent that meets him would trust him around their kids. If he ever turns control completely over to the coordinators and acts as a CEO, like the successful programs, and calms down on the sideline so he is not a distraction, IU can become as powerful as it wants.

I agree, but Alabama is a known product. I was sitting with a trainer just an hour ago, who works with my younger son and only played six years in the pros, and lamenting on the IU game, and he said the exact same thing. Somehow we have to prove to the players they can beat the MS of the world and at least one tougher team in non conference might be enough. Alabama walks into a game believing they are the best, we have to get there.

And whether or not the fans admit it, you can watch a player and tell if he is confident and believes they can get it done. I want to see an IU team that, when they are warming up, does not need the coaches firing them up, does not need the sideline antics, and when they walk onto the field they look like they believe they are the 800lbs gorilla! Then you win games that maybe you shouldn’t. Then you win ugly at times where once you would lose. I know how to get there because a lifetime ago I was fortunate enough to be on a couple of teams that were pretty good. And others on this board who have been there know. But it is impossible to transfer that knowledge and that attitude, you have to go earn it somehow. And...... it does not matter because most of us are too old to play and chose other career paths than coaching.

I think the high wins, close calls do add up and provide confidence. The coach showing emotion on the sideline is just him out there having fun. I dont think its providing assistance in the team winning but it does go to show the coach enjoying what he does. I dont see it as hokey or an added benefit, just Tom being Tom.

The problem with the one tougher game is win or lose that game, I don't think it impacts how IU does. IU had its best team I can remember a couple years back when Richard was a senior. Opened up with Ohio State at home.....played them close. Didn't make a bowl game.

To me, you build a solid foundation of consistently winning. Then once you are able to beat one of the big boys at least once in 30 years, start to improve the scheduling.

Reactions: JohnsyRick and 76-1
Well, you and I both know that Wilson might not have been the best to get the team to the next level. Wilson was somewhat of a loose cannon and he would not delegate, they were stuck. As for Allen, I would never ever want my son to play for Allen if he played offense. Now, since my youngest plays Dtackle Allen is a hero. And he brought in coordinators. Allen is a very nice guy and I suspect every parent that meets him would trust him around their kids. If he ever turns control completely over to the coordinators and acts as a CEO, like the successful programs, and calms down on the sideline so he is not a distraction, IU can become as powerful as it wants.

Why would you not want a kid to play under the IU offense? That was all turned over to DeBoer this year and had success. I think Allen is a defensive guy by trade so he’s not going to meddle in the offense. Is this about Kevin Johns?

Why would you not want a kid to play under the IU offense? That was all turned over to DeBoer this year and had success. I think Allen is a defensive guy by trade so he’s not going to meddle in the offense. Is this about Kevin Johns?
How does Kevin Johns come into this? The guy is doing very well. You can not possibly lay anything on him. He was never allowed to control the offense. DeBoer is leaving I heard...isn't he? You want your kids to play for a head coach with a background on the side of the ball the kid plays. That is all.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT