ADVERTISEMENT

Yikes, Michigan.

Cavanagh

Hall of Famer
Mar 1, 2012
IMG-00340-C04-BF66-1.jpg

Juwan better make some heads roll quick or they are done.

Ehh I don’t buy that crap. If he was that good he would be playing in the nba already. Michigan can moving on from him is probably for the better.
I'm not a huge fan of his either, as a person, or as a player. But Kansas sure is. And they kinda know what they're doing down in Lawrence right now.

We will see, NIL and recruiting kids with NIL money will cause an interesting locker room dynamic.
Definitely could. Yet another new dynamic programs will have to manage going forward. I would say Kansas has probably been managing similar dynamics for years...as most assume they've been paying top players long before NIL.

But with everything being so out in the open, and the dollar amounts now being so high, it will probably become a problem a lot of places.

Why what? If I am say a returning starter and I am getting less money than the shiny new rexruit, it will cause some locker room disruption. It’s why you see first rounders in baseball and football get hazed in the locker room and get called bonus baby and such. My best friend was a first rounder in baseball and the vets treated him like crap because he got the big signing bonus and hadn’t done “shit” yet.

Why what? If I am say a returning starter and I am getting less money than the shiny new rexruit, it will cause some locker room disruption. It’s why you see first rounders in baseball and football get hazed in the locker room and get called bonus baby and such. My best friend was a first rounder in baseball and the vets treated him like crap because he got the big signing bonus and hadn’t done “shit” yet.
Extrapolate much? And it caused serious locker rooms issues to the point the team was dysfunctional?

Everybody said the same thing about Nijel Pack and Isaiah Wong who had been a 3 year starter at Miami. Miami turned around and went to the F4 last year.

Reactions: Imsowyctcwuzbetta
Extrapolate much? And it caused serious locker rooms issues to the point the team was dysfunctional?

Everybody said the same thing about Nijel Pack and Isaiah Wong who had been a 3 year starter at Miami. Miami turned around and went to the F4 last year.
I said could/can. How did UNC locker room work out?

I'd rather have Leal promoting my business than Dickerson. NIL should depend on how appealing you are as a person and player not just how many points you score. I know some people only care about that.
That's true for the businesses that pay players directly for their NIL...a lot of this is moving towards donor backed "collectives". With those, most are giving their money for the best possible players.

I'm not a huge fan of his either, as a person, or as a player. But Kansas sure is. And they kinda know what they're doing down in Lawrence right now.
Yes because they already had cheating down to an art. So NIL is just a step above legitimate recruiting.

I'd rather have Leal promoting my business than Dickerson. NIL should depend on how appealing you are as a person and player not just how many points you score. I know some people only care about that.
If he doesn't call Massengil or Summer's Eve he's leaving massive cash in the table...

"I'M Hunter Dickerson, and I'm a Massengil douche!

I don’t know if this has been said here but lots of peeps, including KU fans, are saying he got a $2M nil deal at KU.

NIL, like it or not, is a the new norm, and it’s all pretty simple. Maybe we prefer players to say “I want to play and win for Big State U,” but that’s naïve. If pay is involved, we sure want whatever we can command. I don’t particularly like Hunter’s antics, but under the system he should be getting at or near top dollar. Anything less would have nice for Michigan but not Hunter.

Reactions: Bucket Getter
Dickinson got the $2M nil deal. Just from what I heard.
Woodie doesnt have Mark Cuban phone number? I think we are the only school to have an alum/booster who owns an NBA team.
Surely Cuban can offer a guaranteed 1st round pick proving that this kid meets certain criteria.

Woodie doesnt have Mark Cuban phone number? I think we are the only school to have an alum/booster who owns an NBA team.
Surely Cuban can offer a guaranteed 1st round pick proving that this kid meets certain criteria.
I’ve read rumors that Cuban threw some nil money at this dude. Hoping it’s legit.

Mat Ishbia owns the Phoenix Suns. He played at Michigan State about 20 years ago. He pays every MSU basketball and football player a monthly stipend.

I’ve read rumors that Cuban threw some nil money at this dude. Hoping it’s legit.
That would be great. He was for sure on the fence when it first came out.

We traded a few emails when it first started. He told me to give the players equity in my business. Basically start an agency, market the players, and have them own 20% of the company.

I listened and was really excited for about 2 weeks. Then realized I was going to be dealing with 18-23 year olds that have no interest in actually doing anything, they just want money. Thank god I pivoted on that quick.

I'm skeptical of the sums that Dickinson is saying he was only offered by Michigan; as Michigan has the No. 1 recruiting class in football this year and of course that is with them competing against the likes of Alabama and Georgia-something just doesn't add up. We know Michigan or its boosters were paying big money to basketball stars like Chris Weber, etc. back in the 1990's via Ed Martin-a known gambler.

It's hard for me to swallow that one of the stars of the Fab 5, Jawaan Howard doesn't know how to work the pay for play game. Maybe they were just tired of his act and the style of play he required to succeed.

I'm skeptical of the sums that Dickinson is saying he was only offered by Michigan; as Michigan has the No. 1 recruiting class in football this year and of course that is with them competing against the likes of Alabama and Georgia-something just doesn't add up. We know Michigan or its boosters were paying big money to basketball stars like Chris Weber, etc. back in the 1990's via Ed Martin-a known gambler.

It's hard for me to swallow that one of the stars of the Fab 5, Jawaan Howard doesn't know how to work the pay for play game. Maybe they were just tired of his act and the style of play he required to succeed.
I would agree with this. Doesn't make sense. Unless they were like Hunter, you are a Dbag, get out. LOL

• Haha
Reactions: kkott
Seems like his comp is in line with finishing 8th, getting beat by Rutgers in the 1st round of the B1G Tourney, missing the NCAA Tourney, getting beat in the 2nd Round of the NIT and being the best player in a program that has gotten progressively worse over the course of his career.

Reactions: Bill4411

We traded a few emails when it first started. He told me to give the players equity in my business. Basically start an agency, market the players, and have them own 20% of the company.

I listened and was really excited for about 2 weeks. Then realized I was going to be dealing with 18-23 year olds that have no interest in actually doing anything, they just want money. Thank god I pivoted on that quick.
Smart. This isn't shark tank. With a few exceptions they want pay for play.

Reactions: Cavanagh
Seems like his comp is in line with finishing 8th, getting beat by Rutgers in the 1st round of the B1G Tourney, missing the NCAA Tourney, getting beat in the 2nd Round of the NIT and being the best player in a program that has gotten progressively worse over the course of his career.
He'll be 24 by the time he finishes his career, so he has to know the NBA Is probably never going to happen for him.

Reactions: Bligedy
And yet, the best college program going just had their NIL machine pay him 3+ million dollars to come play for them.

I agree with you on Dickinson...he's not this valuable. Leads me to believe Kansas collective money is being viewed like monopoly money by Self and his staff.

You've mastered the art of the not-so-subtle brag. I'm impressed. Please keep the "I'm so important" posts coming.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT