ADVERTISEMENT

Yay Penix!

Interesting pick. Cousins is coming off an Achilles injury, and just signed the $180 million ($100 mil guaranteed) 4-year deal with Atlanta. This is not at all a knock on Penix because there's no question about his talent, but bringing in someone with Penix's medical history behind a guy who will be 36 before the season starts and just had a major injury seems pretty risky.

Good luck to MP!! He went way higher than most of “the experts” thought he would. Some takes I heard over the last few days were “2nd day, 2nd or 3rd round guy, can be good, not great at the next level, blah, blah, blah.” I hope he kills it in the NFL, but he is definitely a guy who will need a good OL to protect him and some weapons to stretch the field to take advantage of his ability to throw the deep ball. I hope his intangibles as a leader, who fought through multiple injuries to not just get back on the field, but thrive on it, continue to pave the way for next level success. I doubt any first round qb of recent vintage has endured as much adversity with injury as he has.

The thing I remember about MP's injuries at IU are the manner in which they happened. I think the clavicle injury happened inside the 5 yard line on a run up the gut. The knee injury happened in the end zone after a run around the end. The NFL protects the QB to a great deal and it is likely MP will not be running the ball often. If he is not running the ball, I think he stays healthy. He has a quick release (with accuracy) that sets him apart from many other rookie QB's.

Reactions: IU73
Interesting pick. Cousins is coming off an Achilles injury, and just signed the $180 million ($100 mil guaranteed) 4-year deal with Atlanta. This is not at all a knock on Penix because there's no question about his talent, but bringing in someone with Penix's medical history behind a guy who will be 36 before the season starts and just had a major injury seems pretty risky.
Puzzling pick for sure. He’s already 24 years old

Puzzling pick for sure. He’s already 24 years old
I actually love the long-term move for Atlanta, but I am sure it is frustrating for Kirk cousins. They are at best winning a bad division and maybe one playoff game if that this year. With Penix and cousins on the roster, they have secured the quarterback position for the next 10 or 12 years. If cousins is who they are paying him to be then they won’t be sniffing a top-tier quarterback in the next few years. Take him while you can and secure the position.

While Atlanta is an extremely unsteady franchise. They are taking a page right out of the book of the most consistent franchises in the league.

Reactions: kmathum
Even going into draft day Michael Penix was being short-changed by Hoosier fans who for whatever reason are still unwilling or unable to grasp the reality that CTA and staff really f***** up with their mismanagement of the Heisman trophy runner-up.
Throwing Penix out there against Iowa when it should have been obvious in practice he was not ready was worse player abuse than any of the verbal crap Wilson put out. Then when the season collapsed Allen threw Coach Sheridan under the bus claiming he paid $600,000 to fire him, which was total BS. Cream rises and Penix and Sheridan are much better off today. The most expensive cheerleader in college football and better invest a good chunk of what he fell into wisely because Franklin would drop a dime on his mother to save his own a$$, and Allen won’t see any football in State College unless he buys a ticket by 2026.
Pleaqse explain this

Bet Penix wishes he'd attended the draft. Once-in-a-lifetime experience and he is a no show.... not only Penix but other notables. Who the hell is advising these kids to skip this experience?
Google Tom Brady and his once in a lifetime draft experience.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT