ADVERTISEMENT

Xavier Johnson might be back this season

I am not a fan of X. His off court and on court behavior is more than I would have tolerated had I been the coach.
I am sorry for him his last two years were hampered by injuries. Hopefully he has received or will receive a degree and has plans for the next phase of his life.

“Xavier will be an important addition to our team and should have an immediate impact,” Woodson said in a statement. “He is a high-intensity player who brings tremendous energy on both ends of the floor.
“He has a presence about himself that translates into his ability to provide leadership in a key role. He especially flourishes in transition where he can create for himself and his teammates.”

I hope he is at least able to finish on a high note.

INSIDE THE HALL TODAY.....

Woodson said the game has changed a lot since his playing days. When he got to the NBA, Woodson said you only took the 3-ball when you needed one and the focus was getting the ball inside and getting to the foul line.

Woodson said the game has changed a lot since his playing days. When he got to the NBA, Woodson said you only took the 3-ball when you needed one and the focus was getting the ball inside and getting to the foul line.
lmao.. 🤪

I would sure as hell like to think this isn’t some kind of brand new revelation for him. Good lord. Three years in of mostly mediocre to plain bad basketball and he’s making this statement now?

NIT likes money
true, they do. However, I found this out there on the internets...from NCAA.com. While it is not true that you MUST have a .500 or better record to be invited to the NIT.....our Net ranking is going to sink us. We could easily finish above .500 and STILL not qualify.

The top two teams in the NET Rankings that do not qualify for the NCAA tournament from each conference, regardless of their record, will be selected for the NIT Tournament, and guaranteed the ability to host a game for the first round.

They are referring to P5 conferences. If IU somehow makes it in, it's purely a $$ play.

true, they do. However, I found this out there on the internets...from NCAA.com. While it is not true that you MUST have a .500 or better record to be invited to the NIT.....our Net ranking is going to sink us. We could easily finish above .500 and STILL not qualify.

The top two teams in the NET Rankings that do not qualify for the NCAA tournament from each conference, regardless of their record, will be selected for the NIT Tournament, and guaranteed the ability to host a game for the first round.
Do you see much reason to accept an NIT bid?

Usually teams do this to build experience for next year. But all of our players are generally going to leave. Would time be better spent by our staff to work on the portal, which is absolutely critical for IU right now? Idk.

Do you see much reason to accept an NIT bid?
Are you asking me, to speak on my behalf...or for the coaching staff?

For me personally....since I wrote this season off weeks ago, I see no reason at all. I wouldn't shed a tear if we cancelled the rest of the season today. It pains me to watch them play sometimes.

From a CMW perspective...any chance to accomplish something, like a deep NIT run to stack some wins onto an otherwise lousy W/L record, would serve them well. But I would be surprised if this team went into the NIT tourney thinking they had something to prove. As you said, I too expect a major roster overhaul (yet again) and sounds as if some players may already been counting the days until they leave town.

EDIT...oh yeah...and then, there's the NIT money. How could i forget that?

But....that's just MHO.

Are you asking me, to speak on my behalf...or for the coaching staff?

For me personally....since I wrote this season off weeks ago, I see no reason at all. I wouldn't shed a tear if we cancelled the rest of the season today. It pains me to watch them play sometimes.

From a CMW perspective...any chance to accomplish something, like a deep NIT run to stack some wins onto an otherwise lousy W/L record, would serve them well. But I would be surprised if this team went into the NIT tourney thinking they had something to prove. As you said, I too expect a major roster overhaul (yet again) and sounds as if some players may already been counting the days until they leave town.

But....that's just MHO.
I was asking you (or anyone else). I don’t know the answer so interested in what people think. Thanks.

I was asking you (or anyone else). I don’t know the answer so interested in what people think. Thanks.
still don't know if those Gallo-leaving rumors are true, so not sure what to think about the locker room environment right now. That gossip-news really shook me....wasn't expecting him to be purchased away from IU and shocked that news would leak 5+ games before the season is over. Makes me think (hope) it's false news, because it's such a bad look for CMW and the program right now.

Gallo has looked pretty damn frustrated on the court as of late. Both he and Cupps have been forced to accept roles they were not ready for; I will give both credit for their efforts. They both look ready to drop when the game is over. However, the results in the box score still suck. Cupps has played 30 min/game average the past 2 games and managed a whopping 2 points, and Gallo's shot seems to get worse with every game. Even his FT shooting seems to be getting worse.

still don't know if those Gallo-leaving rumors are true, so not sure what to think about the locker room environment right now. That gossip-news really shook me....wasn't expecting him to be purchased away from IU and shocked that news would leak 5+ games before the season is over. Makes me think (hope) it's false news, because it's such a bad look for CMW and the program right now.

Gallo has looked pretty damn frustrated on the court as of late. Both he and Cupps have been forced to accept roles they were not ready for; I will give both credit for their efforts. They both look ready to drop when the game is over. However, the results in the box score still suck. Cupps has played 30 min/game average the past 2 games and managed a whopping 2 points, and Gallo's shot seems to get worse with every game. Even his FT shooting seems to be getting worse.
If we are #105 on the court, practice and internally we are probably #105 as well. As we know places get toxic when you’re bad, and since Woody seems to blame others vs himself, I’m guessing there is finger pointing everywhere since he sets the culture.

The portal could be pretty wild. Gallo would be a surprise departure. Reneau is a really interesting one. He’s obviously important and a really tough player who could be very frustrated with this season. Unlike Gallo I could see nice offers coming in for him from other schools. I’ve got no intel, but if he goes that’s quite bad.

If we are #105 on the court, practice and internally we are probably #105 as well. As we know places get toxic when you’re bad, and since Woody seems to blame others vs himself, I’m guessing there is finger pointing everywhere since he sets the culture.

The portal could be pretty wild. Gallo would be a surprise departure. Reneau is a really interesting one. He’s obviously important and a really tough player who could be very frustrated with this season. Unlike Gallo I could see nice offers coming in for him from other schools. I’ve got no intel, but if he goes that’s quite bad.
yeah thoughts around here have been that MM and Ware were always one yr rentals. But MR is an interesting one. He's really amped up his numbers this year but I don't see any type of NBA-ready game yet. If those other two depart and we are painfully thin at the guard slots again, I can see someone throwing a big $$ amount at him to go play somewhere like the U or Tennessee...or several other places. He would know that next year is not looking like a lot fun at IU.

Reactions: Tammany Hall
yeah thoughts around here have been that MM and Ware were always one yr rentals. But MR is an interesting one. He's really amped up his numbers this year but I don't see any type of NBA-ready game yet. If those other two depart and we are painfully thin at the guard slots again, I can see someone throwing a big $$ amount at him to go play somewhere like the U or Tennessee...or several other places. He would know that next year is not looking like a lot fun at IU.
Right. I think he’ll be a primary NIL focus here with Ware leaving, and if that still doesn’t keep him that would be something.

This spring portal is going to be wild.

Did someone mention Trey’s name? Perhaps X is the player, I’m sure some would consider him IUs best guard, he’s a SR and I’m not convinced he couldn’t somehow get another yr.

(Tongue in cheek)

They are referring to P5 conferences. If IU somehow makes it in, it's purely a $$ play.
The entire thing is a money play and IU delivers.

Note that players expected to get drafted will sit out.

Reactions: ndhuntington
I'm sure he's a nice kid but MM plays like someone who has been told every day for 19 years he'll have a perfunctory year in college and then get drafted to the NBA. Any NBA team that would draft him for "potential" would be nuts IMO. I hope stays and develops into the player he could be.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT