ADVERTISEMENT

Would you all want Pearl?

Wiedersehen

Junior
Jan 6, 2019
Not sure how long Woodson wants to coach, or how long he will last, but hypothetically, if we’re looking for a new coach after next year, would you all want Pearl?

He’d love coming back to the BigTen (especially IU) and I think he’d win big time here. Love the energy and passion that he brings.

Not sure how long Woodson wants to coach, or how long he will last, but hypothetically, if we’re looking for a new coach after next year, would you all want Pearl?

He’d love coming back to the BigTen (especially IU) and I think he’d win big time here. Love the energy and passion that he brings.
When we hired Archie? Yep. When we hired Woodson? Yep. Now it's too late.

100%. I would donate cash to get him.

at this point I’d just as soon go with Dusty May if/when Woody retires. But I doubt if he’ll be at FAU much longer-there’s a 10 year contract, but a pretty cheap buyout IIRC

Speaking of cheaters

Reactions: bbafficionado
I'm not sure I'd pick him. But yeah at lest be in the mix of candidates..
If he keeps putting on weight, he may pop before given another opportunity. I had not seen him for a few years but must say it looks like the alumni banquet circuit has its way of bloating those in demand for public speaking. Is it the fried chicken?

Pearl isn’t coming to coach in the B10. The B1G is easily the weakest of the P5. He’s better off where he is.

If he keeps putting on weight, he may pop before given another opportunity. I had not seen him for a few years but must say it looks like the alumni banquet circuit has its way of bloating those in demand for public speaking. Is it the fried chicken?
Now if we're talking about putting on weight..... Poor Marty Simmons when he was at UE.... so sad

An opportunity for what? He's got a massive contact from Auburn... he's the 5th highest paid coach in college bb. And has a contract that runs through 2030. I don't think he is looking for any other opportunity.

Now if we're talking about putting on weight..... Poor Marty Simmons when he was at UE.... so sad
Yeah, I think it must have had a genetic component, in conjunction to buffet line gluttony, “all-you-can-eat’s” gone wild. He went from being built like a brick shit-house while at IU to beached whale
a-bloat in “Pocket City”. Pray tell, is Marty still with us?

The games at Illinois would be interesting.

But also, the negative nancies would be calling for his head after a loss at home to crapallacian state.

Reactions: Spartans9312
An opportunity for what? He's got a massive contact from Auburn... he's the 5th highest paid coach in college bb. And has a contract that runs through 2030. I don't think he is looking for any other opportunity.
Okay then, he pops before 2030 while still at Auburn. I can live with it. That doesn’t seem too unreasonable when you figure in the inflation factor, his in particular.

Pearl is now 63, so probably not. But he's a winner, for sure. He embarrassed himself when getting caught in a lie while at Tennessee. OK, strike one. Many posters here think that what he did while an assistant coach at Iowa was a bad thing. Not me, I think that it was a great thing. He caught and turned in a horribly corrupt Illinois program (amongst other things, they offered a recruit a car - just who does Illinois think they are, Wooden/UCLA/Sam Gilbert?). Illinois was not the victim; they were the crook.

Pearl's teams play harder than any team IU has had this century.

Pearl is now 63, so probably not. But he's a winner, for sure. He embarrassed himself when getting caught in a lie while at Tennessee. OK, strike one. Many posters here think that what he did while an assistant coach at Iowa was a bad thing. Not me, I think that it was a great thing. He caught and turned in a horribly corrupt Illinois program (amongst other things, they offered a recruit a car - just who does Illinois think they are, Wooden/UCLA/Sam Gilbert?). Illinois was not the victim; they were the crook.

Pearl's teams play harder than any team IU has had this century.
I couldn’t agree more and never understood why he was called out/denigrated for calling out cheaters. Are coaches supposed to be like members of the mob?

I couldn’t agree more and never understood why he was called out/denigrated for calling out cheaters. Are coaches supposed to be like members of the mob?
He turned them in hoping he could get Deon Thomas to go to Iowa. This was not an altruistic move.

Reactions: tkejones and kkott

I’ve advocated for him. Watched his USI teams a lot. The guy can flat out coach - but you just have to make sure he’s following the rules.

Yeah, I think it must have had a genetic component, in conjunction to buffet line gluttony, “all-you-can-eat’s” gone wild. He went from being built like a brick shit-house while at IU to beached whale
a-bloat in “Pocket City”. Pray tell, is Marty still with us?
Head coach at Eastern Illinois. He came to IU kinda packaged with Ron Felling. What a disaster for the program.

Why would he? He is paid well and has a team of excellent
athletes, they can even make a 3 pointer.

Why would he? He is paid well and has a team of excellent
athletes, they can even make a 3 pointer.

For starters, it’s Auburn… a football school in a football state that will never care about basketball. Given the choice between coaching at INDIANA and just about anywhere else, most basketball people are going to choose the Cream and Crimson

Reactions: stollcpa
For starters, it’s Auburn… a football school in a football state that will never care about basketball. Given the choice between coaching at INDIANA and just about anywhere else, most basketball people are going to choose the Cream and Crimson
Auburn put as many fans in the arena as IU did. It is not just a FB school any more

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT