ADVERTISEMENT

Would someone explain the science behind this?

I don't know why antivaxx has gone mainstream. We cannot trust scientists, nobody would try to prevent a disease. It must only be for money. And this from people who call themselves conservatives, the people who once championed free enterprise. Suddenly everyone on the right sounds like Winners, except with capital letters.
Really marv? Is this your take away from my remarks? Ive got nothing more to say to you.

That was in response to Jet, feel free to interpret that as to you if you want want to consider yourself an antivaxxer. That is up to you. But a lot of self described conservatives are suddenly posting from antivaxx sites.

At 92% protection from hospitalization and better than 96% protection from death, why does a vaccinated person need to be so concerned? Why don't you just wear 2, 3 or more masks and leave others alone?
Because vaccine immunity declines over time, high infection rates risk new vax-resistant variants, children and other groups may not be eligible, and I don't want to wear masks anymore.

Because vaccine immunity declines over time, high infection rates risk new vax-resistant variants, children and other groups may not be eligible, and I don't want to wear masks anymore.
So, for you it's not about protecting others, it's about your freedoms.

Reactions: jet812
At 92% protection from hospitalization and better than 96% protection from death, why does a vaccinated person need to be so concerned? Why don't you just wear 2, 3 or more masks and leave others alone?

Generally speaking, for me and not anyone else, I don't want people to die or get critically ill if we can help it. Especially from something easily preventable. We spend a lot of money to protect people. Before firemen rush into a burning building, they do not try to contact you and say, "hey, do you want to be rescued". If you climb a building to jump off, we send a team to try and talk you down. If you get lost hiking the Pacific Coast Trail we send out teams with dogs and helicopters to try and find you.

It is who we are. Now suddenly there is a push toward "Live and Let Die".

Is it your contention that the unvaccinated mind their own business and don't verbally assault or physically attack others? There are thousands of videos out there showing the exact opposite...Just one example, and keep in mind GA is a GOP-controlled state. So these folks were appointed by a Pub Governor...

Generally speaking, for me and not anyone else, I don't want people to die or get critically ill if we can help it. Especially from something easily preventable. We spend a lot of money to protect people. Before firemen rush into a burning building, they do not try to contact you and say, "hey, do you want to be rescued". If you climb a building to jump off, we send a team to try and talk you down. If you get lost hiking the Pacific Coast Trail we send out teams with dogs and helicopters to try and find you.

There is no push toward live and let die. Biden is flat dead wrong with his excoriating GOP governors and others about this. I haven’t heard one GOP governor suggest that a vaccine should not be trusted or taken. Just a year ago I heard both Biden and Harris claim the vaccine should not be trusted. I don’t recall you commenting about that. I’m in favor of doing everything to convince people to get vaccinated. But I draw the line at mandates, especially mandates rooted in loss of patience and anger as our President has said.

Almost every day when I see families riding bikes together, I see kids in helmets, yetnot the parents. I’d like to speak to all the parents about that, but I don’t. Should I?

A fully vaccinated person needs additional protection from unvaccinated people.

To ask this question a different way: Is a breakthrough infection due to individual susceptibility to infection notwithstanding vaccinated status, or is it due to the unvaccinated community placing all vaccinated individuals at higher risk?

The data about breakthroughs show a clustering around older people and those with pre-existing conditions. So that suggests the former. While I am in favor of all being vaccinated, I don’t know if an unvaccinated person near me presents a high risk or not. I don’t know the strength of my Deflector Shield.

Without pretty clear science, it seems to me vaccine mandates are more emotion than science.

Watch your six. MSNBC apparently had a guest - Frank Schaeffer (whoever the fvck he is) - on advocating drone strikes against American leaders against vaccine mandates.

May you live in interesting times.

I would approve of that, but when the other presidents got their shots they did so in public to try and boost support. Trump refused. Would he do this now?
The answer is NO, there is no way he'd do it now. Participate in a joint appearance with Biden? Hell, he had some hokey interview with Gutfeld the other night where Gutfeld fawned all over him and even asked if Trump had any ideas to help him convince his (Gutfeld's) wife to get the shot...

From 2-5 mins is basically the vaccine discussion. And even in an interview with a fully vaccinated host who is asking Trump to help persuade his wife, you can tell Trump is just not willing to fully commit to urging people to get vaxxed. The crowd in AL booed recently when Trump even mentioned the vaccine, and Alex Jones called Trump an idiot. No way he wants to risk alienating that portion of his base...

There is no push toward live and let die. Biden is flat dead wrong with his excoriating GOP governors and others about this. I haven’t heard one GOP governor suggest that a vaccine should not be trusted or taken. Just a year ago I heard both Biden and Harris claim the vaccine should not be trusted. I don’t recall you commenting about that. I’m in favor of doing everything to convince people to get vaccinated. But I draw the line at mandates, especially mandates rooted in loss of patience and anger as our President has said.

Almost every day when I see families riding bikes together, I see kids in helmets, yetnot the parents. I’d like to speak to all the parents about that, but I don’t. Should I?
I disagree with Holcomb and DeWine on almost everything, but they have taken it seriously. Notice on here many rock ribbed Trump "conservatives" call them RINOs (along with people like Aloha). Taking COVID seriously plays a role in the opinion of DeWine and Holcomb.

Because liberals are mentally ill. That’s the real health problem in this country.

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier

An old school buddy posted this today:

Capture-2021-09-10-19-05-53-2.png

That was in response to Jet, feel free to interpret that as to you if you want want to consider yourself an antivaxxer. That is up to you. But a lot of self described conservatives are suddenly posting from antivaxx sites.
Ha. I wouldn’t know what an antivax site looks like. If it wasn’t for you and others like goat posting about what conservatives believe, I wouldn’t have a clue.

I don't know why antivaxx has gone mainstream. We cannot trust scientists, nobody would try to prevent a disease. It must only be for money. And this from people who call themselves conservatives, the people who once championed free enterprise. Suddenly everyone on the right sounds like Winners, except with capital letters.

We could nationalize pharma and make sure not a penny is made off of covid or any other other disease, would that help?

Washington made the continental army get smallpox vaccine. , such as it was in those days (varialation I think it was called). George Washington, a hater of liberty and in the clutches of big pharma.

For CO, we both agree we need nuclear power. But how do we know nuclear power companies making campaign contributions would make it safely?
You (& many others) continue to pick single issues to attack & address when in fact there are many variables & reasons both for & against vaccination. It is narrow minded, although an attractive approach for people whose goal is to belittle, degrade, & use insults to coerce people into doing what they think is right for everyone. I agree that the unvaccinated may very well increase the threat to me, & I can choose to stay home if I wish to not be exposed. I just don’t think I should get to tell people what to put in their bodies, especially with so many unknowns & the constant flip-flopping…

Same for measles, mumps, chickenpox, tetanus, all just profit makers. So are antibacterial medicines, just scams. We cannot trust these corporations, we need leaches and snake oil back.
I have had an MMR and tetanus shot. I got chickenpox as a child. I also got the polio vaccine. You know what I have never heard about those shots? People who have them getting the disease they were vaccinated against. And yes, I needed a booster on those but the booster was after years, not months.

Let's say "only" 1,000 more vaccinated people die because we tell antivaxxers to just "do their thing" and so 96% protection from death for the vaccinated becomes (say) 90%.

Is that acceptable?

If 1,000 extra people died in Dodge Minivans this year due to some defect, wouldn't all of them be pulled off the roads, immediately?

When death is easily preventable, we prevent it. That is part of being a moral human being.

We are not asking anybody to storm Omaha Beach. Get a damn shot, wear a damn mask, and stop being a whiny self-centered myopic turd.

Ha. I wouldn’t know what an antivax site looks like. If it wasn’t for you and others like goat posting about what conservatives believe, I wouldn’t have a clue.
Actually I am pretty sure we both know what conservatives believe, but people like Aloha are willing to say populists <> conservative. Populists are taking the mantle and trying to say real conservatives aren't conservative. At one time I was certain which side you were on, the side of William F Buckley and Ike.

Your post suggesting only campaign contributions was why Pfizer got approval and not a 90 day head start in the approval process sure muddies the water on Buckley conservative or populist. I watched Buckley a lot, that wasn't him. But it is populist, including left as Winners.

Everyone who wants a vaccine can get one. Protecting those who choose not to be vaccinated isn't a priority for me.
You’re vaccinated, why are you worried? Here in the park it’s the vaccinated that is spreading the Covid!

Reactions: jerryp1
I have had an MMR and tetanus shot. I got chickenpox as a child. I also got the polio vaccine. You know what I have never heard about those shots? People who have them getting the disease they were vaccinated against. And yes, I needed a booster on those but the booster was after years, not months.
COVID is the first pandemic in history with safe and effective vaccines in less than a year. Complaining that they're not 100% effective seems a bit of a mountain from a molehill.

You’re vaccinated, why are you worried? Here in the park it’s the vaccinated that is spreading the Covid!
I'm coming up on 6 months from my vaccine date and the virus is as prevalent as ever. Once I get my booster I'll be another step closer to post-COVID.

I'm coming up on 6 months from my vaccine date and the virus is as prevalent as ever. Once I get my booster I'll be another step closer to post-COVID.
Keep chasing that carrot they put in front of you!

COVID is the first pandemic in history with safe and effective vaccines in less than a year. Complaining that they're not 100% effective seems a bit of a mountain from a molehill.
I am not complaining. I have taken one of the shots. What I am saying is that rolling out the MMR or Polio or Tetanus as a comparison is a big stretch...which you seem to be saying as well.

Additionally, quite a few of these people have had those vaccines so they are not anti-vaxx...they are hesitant about this specific set of vaccines. These people have grown to mistrust the government, "experts", etc. (And frankly I don't blame them on that) and walking out on stage and basically saying "F your freedoms, I will punish you and deal with your governor if you don't do what I say" is basically slapping them with the white glove to challenge them to a duel.

Luci, we know from past flu vaccinations that annual fax vaccinations aren' t completely preventative.

We only hope experts in the field of designing flu shots are correct. Correct in that they help reduce sickness as compared to those who were not vaccinated.

Do We believe in politicians or scientists in the field of dealing with virises who aren't running for re-election?

OP asked to explain the science behind a vaccine mandate. The explanation is found in the simple math already described by others in this thread. No vaccine is perfect, and the more unvaccinated people you have around you, the more likely your protection will fail. That's the science behind it.

Something tells me OP wasn't actually interested in the science.

You (& many others) continue to pick single issues to attack & address when in fact there are many variables & reasons both for & against vaccination. It is narrow minded, although an attractive approach for people whose goal is to belittle, degrade, & use insults to coerce people into doing what they think is right for everyone. I agree that the unvaccinated may very well increase the threat to me, & I can choose to stay home if I wish to not be exposed. I just don’t think I should get to tell people what to put in their bodies, especially with so many unknowns & the constant flip-flopping…
Yep, my Dad always said ‘let’s just wait and see’. He’s 82 and doing fine.

Reactions: Lucy01
Luci, we know from past flu vaccinations that annual fax vaccinations aren' t completely preventative.

We only hope experts in the field of designing flu shots are correct. Correct in that they help reduce sickness as compared to those who were not vaccinated.

Do We believe in politicians or scientists in the field of dealing with virises who aren't running for re-election?
Scientist cater to the people that are funding them.

I am not complaining. I have taken one of the shots. What I am saying is that rolling out the MMR or Polio or Tetanus as a comparison is a big stretch...which you seem to be saying as well.

Additionally, quite a few of these people have had those vaccines so they are not anti-vaxx...they are hesitant about this specific set of vaccines. These people have grown to mistrust the government, "experts", etc. (And frankly I don't blame them on that) and walking out on stage and basically saying "F your freedoms, I will punish you and deal with your governor if you don't do what I say" is basically slapping them with the white glove to challenge them to a duel.
With daily infections at 150k and daily deaths at 1500 and rising, the equation has shifted. It's time for the unvaccinated to stay home.

Reactions: UncleMark
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT