ADVERTISEMENT

WKU O

daddyhoosier

Junior
Aug 31, 2019
iufb.net
September 13, 2022 | Daddy Hoosier | iufb.net

With a new Offensive Coordinator and a new Quarterback I’m not sure Western Kentucky can duplicate what they did last year but I still expect them to be potent and dangerous. I just spent a couple hours watching them and here are my notes:

I love their complimentary routes that leverage defensive assignments to create space & conflict. Examples:

*Vertical routes to clear out for the RB in the flat

*Layered / high-low concepts that create windows and space (post+curl, corner+comeback, out+slant, flat+dig)

*Another popular concept: Post stresses D vertically, RB flat / arrow route stresses D horizontally, snag routes splits the two & creates conflict. If snag creates a natural rub hit the flat. If space concept works hit the snag. If they sit on the snag it’s a 1 on 1 match-up with their safety deep.

Trips into the boundary seems counter-intuitive but can create a numbers advantage for those WR screens that are essentially perimeter runs. Once the D is conditioned you can fake the screen. When the defender commits the WR can pop in behind, often there’s a nice window.

There’s no shame in taking the check-down! I just saw one for 13 yards and another for 8. They like motion across the formation, fake the jet sweep, the motion-man becomes the checkdown in the flat. The RB tried the seam route but it wasn’t there so the QB checked it down. They will look for the shot but they are happy to take the easy yards. If the Defense starts to play the flat route it can open up the seam.

Last edited:
The tape above was from last year but I think essentially the same system is in place. I think two internal hires took over the Offensive play calling.

Their QB Reed has a big arm and is aggressive. Good at throwing the back shoulder fade which is tough to defend. Seems like he either takes a shot or the checkdown, not much in between so far. Also he has had some good gains scambling, he's picked up a couple of first downs.

Transfer Portal receiver out of Oregon #7 (Davis I think) a good looking player.

11 has got wheels, worth noting. We'll probably see jet sweeps and crossing routes involving him.

They love to hit RBs out of the back field, which Indiana didn't defend particularly well against Idaho...so I expect more of this Sat.

Common formations bunch and 2x2. A couple good runs out of 2x2 when it's v5 on 5 in the interior. (This is a West Coast concept I think Indiana should implement.) Lots of motion, use an H back in multiple ways.

A couple of gadget trick plays - three flee flickers. 😖

Five ints, I mean for real three were horrible throws and two were very lucky bounces. Credit them for coming up with them all but geeze talk about gift-wrapped.

Anyway I respect WKU but I don't come away from watching that shaking in my boots. Hawai’i was able to run the ball on them and could have more if they would have committed to it. Just checked and FPI now has WKU favored. Two weeks to prepare is an advantage for them...

I can gripe about these power idexes being too reactionary but the bottom line is if you take care of business on the field that stuff will take care of itself.

Last edited:
The tape above was from last year but O think essentially the same system is in place. I think two internal hires took over the Offensive play calling.

Their QB Reed has a big arm and is aggressive. Good at throwing the back shoulder fade which is tough to defend. Seems like he either takes a shot or the checkdown, not much in between so far. Also he has had some good gains scambling, he's picked up a couple of first downs.

Transfer Portal receiver out of Oregon #7 (Davis I think) a good looking player.

11 has got wheels, worth noting. We'll probably see jet sweeps and crossing routes involving him.

They love to hit RBs out of the back field, which Indiana didn't defend particularly well against Idaho...so I expect more of this Sat.

Common formations bunch and 2x2. A couple good runs out of 2x2 when it's v5 on 5 in the interior. (This is a West Coast concept I think Indiana should implement.) Lots of motion, use an H back in multiple ways.

A couple of gadget trick plays - three flee flickers. 😖

Five ints, I mean for real three were horrible throws and two were very lucky bounces. Credit them for coming up with them all but geeze talk about gift-wrapped.

Anyway I respect WKU but I don't come away from watching that shaking in my boots. Hawai’i was able to run the ball on them and could have more if they would have committed to it. Just checked and FPI now has WKU favored. Two weeks to prepare is an advantage for them...

I can gripe about these power idexes being too reactionary but the bottom line is if you take care of business on the field that stuff will take care of itself.
You hit the right approach " respect WKU but I don't come away from watching that shaking in my boots". The key on defense is pressure on the QB but you have to take care of the dump reads they get on blitzes. This should be an interesting game between WKU's offense and IU's defense as both coaches are experienced and know their systems.

You hit the right approach " respect WKU but I don't come away from watching that shaking in my boots". The key on defense is pressure on the QB but you have to take care of the dump reads they get on blitzes. This should be an interesting game between WKU's offense and IU's defense as both coaches are experienced and know their systems.
I'm still concerned about our #1 FS letting guys get deep behind him and his inexplicable sudden loss of the ability to tackle... He'll be a key in this game... That and whether whoever is responsible for backside contain remembers that doing their freaking job is another key to winning the game...

I think we Win if we don't beat ourselves..., but..., we've shown a propensity for attempting to do that lately... Let's hope this is the game we put it all together and get that sort of thing cleaned up...

Wow SP+ has WKU by 4:

Also:

screenshot_20220914-052820_espn.jpg

Disrespect? 😤😡

Reactions: 76-1 and vesuvius13
It is still early in the season so these sites using info from this year aren't that accurate. In a couple of weeks, they are very accurate. I like IU because of the shock value when WKU goes against our athletes and the speed for the first time this season.
I still like IU in this game but a steady diet of tape from our games will give them confidence.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and 76-1
I think the Hoosiers need to put together 4 quarters in general. This is a team that has not looked good at all but is 2-0 and I think have played fairly good teams. The offensive line needs to come and protect Bazelak. He needs to settle down and improve his accuracy. He needs to hit open receivers. I for one dont care about the run game. I believe in todays football you throw the ball to set up the run. Much like the Forty-niners used to do and also the Gators under Spurrier. Defensively we need to be able to get to quarterback with 4 or 5 man pressures. Maintain our rush lanes and not allow the qb to run. Take away the quick stuff. It sounds like a lot but it is totally posssible.

I think the Hoosiers need to put together 4 quarters in general. This is a team that has not looked good at all but is 2-0 and I think have played fairly good teams. The offensive line needs to come and protect Bazelak. He needs to settle down and improve his accuracy. He needs to hit open receivers. I for one dont care about the run game. I believe in todays football you throw the ball to set up the run. Much like the Forty-niners used to do and also the Gators under Spurrier. Defensively we need to be able to get to quarterback with 4 or 5 man pressures. Maintain our rush lanes and not allow the qb to run. Take away the quick stuff. It sounds like a lot but it is totally posssible.

I know the Niners had an amazing QB and of course pro talent but I think their approach would be very successful today, like it was then. You can almost bet that the first IU play will be a running play. It is almost like it is a rule!! Why don't more teams run an offense like the Niners did? Too complex? Not enough talent?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT