ADVERTISEMENT

With competition coming, IU guard Devonte Green is elevating his game

I remember an interview when Don Fischer told Green he was one of the most talented people on the team and that Archie is wanting him to make better decisions and show his ability. I was surprised with the blunt comment that aired, but Green agreed with Fischer.

He needs to play diffidently than he was allowed to in high school. Archie has hopefully made that point in their year together. We will need all 4 guards to play this year. Al and Devonte need to quickly show Romeo and Phinisee how a proper D1 guard prepares and plays.

Reactions: MrBing
This is the process IU fans want to see. DG has tremendous natural skills and huge upside. If he takes a page from the book of Victor and work his ass off.

Reactions: moonerbr549
Make the easy pass. Is all he needs to learn. The door closes very quickly in the lane in college.

Phinesee is the future IU PG. Devonte Green can be an ieffective PG or SG but he has to cut way down on the unforced TOs and take higher percentage shots. As the writer said Devonte tends to go for the highlight play that looks good in AAU ball but can lose close games, rather than the high percentage play that wins close games. Phinesee plays smart high IQ Basketball. It will force Devonte to improve or sit. Actually Al Durham may be the backup PG to Phinessee and Devonte may be better suited as a SG, but he is not as good a shooter as Romeo or Anderson.

I remember an interview when Don Fischer told Green he was one of the most talented people on the team and that Archie is wanting him to make better decisions and show his ability. I was surprised with the blunt comment that aired, but Green agreed with Fischer.

He needs to play diffidently than he was allowed to in high school. Archie has hopefully made that point in their year together. We will need all 4 guards to play this year. Al and Devonte need to quickly show Romeo and Phinisee how a proper D1 guard prepares and plays.
That's great news Bud. It means Green is coachable. We all knew he had the raw material. But we didn't know if he was going to put it all together. If he can play well then it takes pressure off Phinisee to be the guy sooner rather than later.

Phinesee is the future IU PG. Devonte Green can be an ieffective PG or SG but he has to cut way down on the unforced TOs and take higher percentage shots. As the writer said Devonte tends to go for the highlight play that looks good in AAU ball but can lose close games, rather than the high percentage play that wins close games. Phinesee plays smart high IQ Basketball. It will force Devonte to improve or sit. Actually Al Durham may be the backup PG to Phinessee and Devonte may be better suited as a SG, but he is not as good a shooter as Romeo or Anderson.
I think Al's improvement is also very important to this team. He has good size and just has to get stronger so he isn't knocked around as he makes his drives.

That's great news Bud. It means Green is coachable. We all knew he had the raw material. But we didn't know if he was going to put it all together. If he can play well then it takes pressure off Phinisee to be the guy sooner rather than later.
They often referred to the New York style of play which I have to assume includes high risk passes and forcing shots up. I would expect he has to break a lot of old habits that Archie (and nearly everyone else) doesn't want to see. He has the entire summer to get better.

I can't remember who it was, but I heard a coach explain how his managers create videos of the players at the end of the season showing what they did well and what they wanted to correct. It brought back memories of my football coach that would run film backwards and forwards many times during film study when someone made a really bad play. My goal was to never be "that guy".

He has had 3 coaches in the last 3 years. Playing in the same system 2 years in a row will certainly help.

He has made some passes with a high degree of difficulty and made some circus shots that somehow made it in the basket. Archie spoke that you don't want to look for a home run on every play and there is nothing wrong with singles. When he makes a difficult pass, he needs to understand that he was fortunate and it is likely not going to work a second time.

He was benched at the end of the year. He knows why. He seems to have accepted it and is back this year willing to work on his game and do what Archie has asked of him.

I see growing evidence that players like playing for Archie. I could see how Crean could wear you down while Archie is naturally calm and direct. When Archie gets animated, there is a reason for it and the players seem to listen. Archie doesn't need to sell what he is asking them to do. He has been in the game and is confident in what he is doing.

Reactions: BannerYear
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT