ADVERTISEMENT

Wisconsin cancels football game versus Nebraska

82hoosier

All-American
Sep 7, 2001
Six players and six staff test positive for covid-19, including the head coach. Thid is already beginning to fall apart after week 1

Last edited:
Reactions: vesuvius13
It was my understanding that there would be no postponements. If you could not go it was a forfeit.

What a crock!! Should be same as an injury. The next in line steps up. Just because it’s their top 3 QB’s. Probably scared their top 10 spot will be jeopardized. IU didn’t cry a few years back when we had to go deep into the QB lineup because of injuries.

At some point a reduced number of games played has to hurt a team. Will there be a cutoff for inclusion in the CFP and, if so, what will it be? If I'm the coach of a 10-1 P5 team with a single "good" loss, I'm not going to be happy about being passed over in favor of an 8-0 team.

Maybe Wisconsin could play. Maybe not...

With 12 positives (so far) how many have to quarantine until PCR tests come back negative?

They have the numbers to play. I think Alvarez even said so. Nebraska is trying like heck to play SDSU or NDSU. Not sure how that’s gonna work though.

Six players and six staff test positive for covid-19, including the head coach. Thid is already beginning to fall apart after week 1
I wouldn't call it falling apart, every league has had this happen. This is part of this season, & will continue to be. The teams that succeed are going to be extremely diligent at not putting themselves at risk of infection. Tough for Wisconsin since their outbreak is ridiculous right now--in the state, I mean. We have had 2,500 new cases today, which is a lot, but Wisconsin had over 5,000 yesterday, & their population is 900k less than ours, so....it's really thick there.

Did anyone see the videos of bars in Bloomington and Happy Valley at the end of the game? Bars were packed with students not wearing masks. One thing that has not changed is coaching staffs saying "we're going to celebrate this win tonight but get back to work tomorrow and then start looking ahead to next Saturday."

Wisconsin just played Illinois on Friday night. How many Illinois players are now infected but right now would still test negative? Who knows?

Last week Florida coach made an open request to pack the gator Stadium with 90,000 fans against LSU. On Wednesday they canceled the game because of covid test and on Friday the coach tested positive.

What is going to happen in a few weeks with teams that realize that they're going to have a crappy season. Are they going to continue living in a bubble so they can play a game next weekend in an empty Stadium. I hope so!

The president of Penn State talk to the Press yesterday expressing alarm over the large number of students and Penn State fans that gathered off-campus in large numbers with no social distancing or masks.

I am hopeful but not necessarily optimistic. Every program that has a failure is going to drag another team down with it for at least a week.

I wouldn't call it falling apart, every league has had this happen. This is part of this season, & will continue to be. The teams that succeed are going to be extremely diligent at not putting themselves at risk of infection. Tough for Wisconsin since their outbreak is ridiculous right now--in the state, I mean. We have had 2,500 new cases today, which is a lot, but Wisconsin had over 5,000 yesterday, & their population is 900k less than ours, so....it's really thick there.
Spikes likely due to the much, much higher volume of tests compared to 5 months ago.
More tests, more positives.

They have the numbers to play. I think Alvarez even said so. Nebraska is trying like heck to play SDSU or NDSU. Not sure how that’s gonna work though.
Before Friday's game against Illinois all the Wisconsin players tested negative. It's Monday and they have 12 positive cases including staff and are waiting on an unknown number of test results.

If they can’t play this week how will they be able to play next week?
The players out now will be out at least 21 days,correct?
And that’s not even taking into account that more positive tests are most likely to come.

If they can’t play this week how will they be able to play next week?
The players out now will be out at least 21 days,correct?
And that’s not even taking into account that more positive tests are most likely to come.
Yep

I’m just Glad Wisconsin is trying to get healthy before Purdue. I definitely don’t want to see the Boilers catch a break. They then might win enough games to actually think they’re decent.

Tell City dressed 17 players for their sectional game. Sure they lost, but the team didn't throw in the towel. I would expect a team to play if they had enough negative players to play.
It was a shame that so many players were out due to family members having the virus as their team was very good this year until the players had to start sitting out the last two games. It was the best year in decades for the team with 5 shutouts recorded but the roster got decimated because of caution to stop the spread of the virus.

I had been wanting my Longhorns to join the B1G in three years during the inevitable collapse of B12, so both my alma maters would be in the same conference.....now I'm not so sure.

This is manipulation of the process by Wisconsin. If they are below the threshold they should be REQUIRED to play. I don’t care if a punter has to take the snaps.

Looks like Barry Alvarez is the actual Big Ten Commissioner, this other guy apparently just answers his emails...

I'm still more than a little miffed about WI rather than IL being on our amended/abbreviated schedule... Gee, I wonder who came up with that...? The initials B.A. might give you a hint...

Now he's saying they're going to ignore the 21 day mandate and play pu... Who the hecks in charge of this operation? Sure doesn't look like it's Warren...

Looks like Barry Alvarez is the actual Big Ten Commissioner, this other guy apparently just answers his emails...

I'm still more than a little miffed about WI rather than IL being on our amended/abbreviated schedule... Gee, I wonder who came up with that...? The initials B.A. might give you a hint...

Now he's saying they're going to ignore the 21 day mandate and play pu... Who the hecks in charge of this operation? Sure doesn't look like it's Warren...
Big Ten is no longer a college athletics conference . . . it's a television network. Those who generate the $$ swing brass . . . .

I had been wanting my Longhorns to join the B1G in three years during the inevitable collapse of B12, so both my alma maters would be in the same conference.....now I'm not so sure.
Y'all just lost your top recruit . . . not sure we'd want you anyway. We already have Nebraska to serve in the has-been role. ;)

Reactions: UncleMark and 76-1
They need enough hospitalization to be able to care for the 10-15% of positive cases that would require it.

85% of all positive cases are asymptomatic or extremely mild.
Using your figures...

So at 75,000 new infections PER DAY, we only need 7500-12,500 hospital beds. I guess if the new cases are evenly distributed across all medical facilities nationwide we're ok then?

Using your figures...

So at 75,000 new infections PER DAY, we only need 7500-12,500 hospital beds. I guess if the new cases are evenly distributed across all medical facilities nationwide we're ok then?
Wisconsin ICUs are nearly at capacity . . . it could get bad . . . .

Spikes likely due to the much, much higher volume of tests compared to 5 months ago.
More tests, more positives.

...and higher positivity rates, which is the key.

Hopefully just one game is cancelled this week and we don't have two or three next week.

They should have started one week earlier and built in a make up week.

KW has taken a beating over this from day one and if this spirals into playing three games a week, it will continue.

Reactions: 76-1
Wisconsin ICUs are nearly at capacity . . . it could get bad . . . .

It is already bad and getting worse. The only thing that has changed is that the fatality rate has dropped and that is primarily due to lower numbers of retirement/nursing community outbreaks.

KW has taken a beating over this from day one and if this spirals into playing three games a week, it will continue.

He deserves most of that criticism... His letting Barry ignore the agreed upon SOP and make decisions about when and who his team will play is ridiculous... Now 21 days may be too long but they all agreed on it ...

Reactions: indy1203
Nebraska’s replacement Game got axed. I’d be livid if Wisky decides to play next week.

Speaking of Covid. In my county the massive spike is nursing home related. (Mostly) It got back into 2 facilities. Added about 200 cases and 10 deaths, including my wife’s 99 year old grandma, really fast. My kids have still been in school since the middle of August. 0 kids with confirmed Corona. 1 teacher so far. It’s nutty how it works.

He deserves most of that criticism... His letting Barry ignore the agreed upon SOP and make decisions about when and who his team will play is ridiculous... Now 21 days may be too long but they all agreed on it ...

Its almost as if Barry was trying to make the Big Ten change the 21 day rule, by making them see the lost revenue from games ...

The problem in football is the same as everywhere - we don't know what it "means" to "test" "positive"

For some folks, its a death sentence

For some, its a ticket to damaged organs

For most, it means very few if any symptoms or consequences - they are just on their way to T-cell protection

But we can't predict who will fall into which category (although the numbers tell us the "old and sick" combo is not safe) ... yet

ME? I think college athletes are pretty safe. They and their families and thei doctors and their team doctors have decided to let them play. So be it.

Disqualification based on symptoms probably protects the players fine.

Coaches? Other staff? Maybe less.
"Old and sick"? Nope.

But make the decisions based o data - not just "worst case scenario plus fear."

And keep politics OUT OF IT.

(I cannot WAIT until November 5. The day after an election should be a national holiday - and all news agencies should be locked down and silenced for 24 hours. Sports and arts only.)

Reactions: Al Bino
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT