ADVERTISEMENT

Will Romeo be a lottery pick?

Comments like this is what is really hurting this fan base because you need to stop the personal attacks on the players. Saw the tweet from TJD shooting down tweets that he was looking to decommit and totally denied this. Most of this came from so called IU fans who thinks that downgrading everything about the program will help.
BS. This was not a personal attack at all. I spoke strictly about his current performance and his very apparent weaknesses. I get really sick about hearing about his pro prospects when he’s playing so poorly. The concern about keeping our recruits could be real, but it’s based on what they are observing about how the team is playing and being coached.

I think for all these 1 and done types the feeling is even if they aren't
"ready" they will develop more in the NBA where the focus is 100% basketball.

Yes, and if any start to question leaving, a quick glance at Vic's injury will snap them out if it. We are going to start seeing players decline playing in post season tournaments just as in football.

It would probably be in Romeo’s best interest to leave IU, hire a professional trainer out in California, and go get ready for the draft.

Although I don’t know if Adidas would be ok with that.

So what get your lottery money then do something with your life. He’s a great kid he will save enough to never have to work again. I’m not telling my 18 yr old son to pass up millions that’s stupid.

What is stupid is raising your kid to be a p###y who can't take adversity.

Going for the quick money instead of a legacy and a great career is being a chicken bleep. Be a man and expect more. IU is for winners. I'm having a hard time with some of our "fans".

"Never have to work again". Good Lord, I expect a lot more than that out of Purdue, let alone Indiana.

Going for the quick money instead of a legacy and a great career is being a chicken bleep. Be a man and expect more. IU is for winners. I'm having a hard time with some of our "fans".

"Never have to work again". Good Lord, I expect a lot more than that out of Purdue, let alone Indiana.
You are just completely unrealistic! If you had a son with a gift for computers and he could get $10million dollars to go work at Apple you would tell him to go to college? Come on dude.

Reactions: minneman

I think you assume he came to IU to build a legacy or that was part of IUs sales pitch. IU knew he was a 1 and done. He didn't go there to have a statue built, just to play some good basketball until he got drafted.

I think you assume he came to IU to build a legacy or that was part of IUs sales pitch. IU knew he was a 1 and done. He didn't go there to have a statue built, just to play some good basketball until he got drafted.

If you are going to play in the OAD sandbox, you have to accept your place in their world. This isn't yogi Farrell or Troy Lewis gutting it out for old XU.

Here’s the other thing Romeo didn’t even want to go to IU, his Dad played at Louisville and if it weren’t for underage hookers at Louisville he would be there, he has no loyalty to IU, could care less.

You are just completely unrealistic! If you had a son with a gift for computers and he could get $10million dollars to go work at Apple you would tell him to go to college? Come on dude.

Every profession is different but in general professionals go to graduate school. There are no doctors who skipped medical school.

If my kid had one shot to be his best, I'd advise him to make sure he was ready, and if he wasn't I would tell him he wasn't. If you watched the Purdue game, it was a clear indication that Langford struggles to generate his own shot against guys his size and athleticism. That is only a single case but he struggled mightily against Michigan and looks, like the rest of them (except Morgan), like he has lost confidence.

It sure is easy to get in on internet message and say that someone should delay getting paid millions of dollars. And he would probably develop quicker in the NBA than he would in college. The NCAA does limit the amount of time can spend coaching players and classes take even more time that could otherwise be spent on basketball. So no reason he will have a worse career leaving after this year than he would if he were to stay another year.

If you think you'd pass up the opportunity if you were in his position you're either an idiot or full of it.

It sure is easy to get in on internet message and say that someone should delay getting paid millions of dollars. And he would probably develop quicker in the NBA than he would in college. The NCAA does limit the amount of time can spend coaching players and classes take even more time that could otherwise be spent on basketball. So no reason he will have a worse career leaving after this year than he would if he were to stay another year.

If you think you'd pass up the opportunity if you were in his position you're either an idiot or full of it.

What is easy is leaving and not even finishing class. What is difficult is having enough humility and belief in yourself to focus on weaknesses instead of jumping ship asap.
It only gets worse every year.

He's projected 5th to 14th .. that is a lottery pick.

Yes, I know. I'm not a huge predictor of NBA selections, and am not really that great at it when I do, but I do believe he has weaknesses that could lower his projected pick.
I would be fine with him having a whale of a year and then being ready for the next level but personally I just don't see it. I am certainly not wishing him to do poorly, just the opposite. He needs to work on the mental aspects of the game, leadership, and of course shooting/looking for catch and release jumpers. Being tough on the kid isn't fair until we see these projections.
Not buying it. We will see.

Maybe we should analyze some of the other players in the draft to see who is going to replace Romeo when he drops out of the lottery. Romeo at 6 in ESPN. Garland at 7 and he is not even playing. Jaxson Hayes is a late bloomer at 14.

If Romeo stinks so bad why does anyone want him to stay?

Well said! Thank you.

If you are going to play in the OAD sandbox, you have to accept your place in their world. This isn't yogi Farrell or Troy Lewis gutting it out for old XU.

Exactly, and to have success with OAD I think you have to bring in 1 every year, or more. You're either infusing the team with NBA talent every year or you are building a team, that when you hit on some special recruits, can make a run their upperclass years.

Reactions: Courtsensetwo
Gotta believe Romeo has slipped down the charts with his recent games. Any chance he stays?
It is hard for me to believe how many folks are putting Romeo in the top five and say that Barrett and Williamson are barely above him. I just do not get it. What do they see that I do not see?

It is hard for me to believe how many folks are putting Romeo in the top five and say that Barrett and Williamson are barely above him. I just do not get it. What do they see that I do not see?
Maybe it’s the pathetic offense we run ever think of that.

Every profession is different but in general professionals go to graduate school. There are no doctors who skipped medical school.

If my kid had one shot to be his best, I'd advise him to make sure he was ready, and if he wasn't I would tell him he wasn't. If you watched the Purdue game, it was a clear indication that Langford struggles to generate his own shot against guys his size and athleticism. That is only a single case but he struggled mightily against Michigan and looks, like the rest of them (except Morgan), like he has lost confidence.

And if you were his dad you might think his college experience, perhaps his coach, is hurting his game and not helping it. The NBA IS the grad school in this sense. They will have a coach specifically tasked to help him individually. He won't have to pretend to go to Psychology 101. And if he waits the next round of 1 and done kids is suddenly squeezing him out of the lottery.

And if you were his dad you might think his college experience, perhaps his coach, is hurting his game and not helping it. The NBA IS the grad school in this sense. They will have a coach specifically tasked to help him individually. He won't have to pretend to go to Psychology 101. And if he waits the next round of 1 and done kids is suddenly squeezing him out of the lottery.

Let alone the risk of injury. These top kids have to look at Vic right now and say...wow. I said this before but we will see more top athletes sitting out postseason play. The NFL and NBA rules need to be changed IMO. Let's get back to collegiate programs, but I am a purist.

Yes, I know. I'm not a huge predictor of NBA selections, and am not really that great at it when I do, but I do believe he has weaknesses that could lower his projected pick.
I would be fine with him having a whale of a year and then being ready for the next level but personally I just don't see it. I am certainly not wishing him to do poorly, just the opposite. He needs to work on the mental aspects of the game, leadership, and of course shooting/looking for catch and release jumpers. Being tough on the kid isn't fair until we see these projections.
Not buying it. We will see.

I'm not all that into draft projections either. But to me it's really quite simple. Does Romeo think his prospects would be significantly better next year than this? I don't know who might potentially come out next season, but if Romeo is a solid lottery pick this season (and it seems as if he is) then is it really worth the risk coming back to college and potentially seeing your stock fall? For what gain? Maybe (at best) a spot or two? The obvious answer is no.

College won't make him any more prepared next year. All it would buy him is lost income, injury risk, and lost time working on the parts of his game that need development. Only an idiot would return. He doesn't strike me as an idiot.

If my kid had one shot to be his best, I'd advise him to make sure he was ready, and if he wasn't I would tell him he wasn't.

All do respect, in a situation like this that would be horrible advice.

Let alone the risk of injury. These top kids have to look at Vic right now and say...wow. I said this before but we will see more top athletes sitting out postseason play. The NFL and NBA rules need to be changed IMO. Let's get back to collegiate programs, but I am a purist.

I agree, let them go straight to the pros. The limited number of spots won't mean all the good players will leave college basketball, it will help college basketball.

Reactions: glidresquirrel
IU loses 6 in a row and they play like 5 year olds and we have people talking about the NBA.
Surreal.
talking about an iu player projected to be a lottery pick on an indiana basketball board is your definition of surreal? your real life must be very mundane. lol

Comments like this is what is really hurting this fan base because you need to stop the personal attacks on the players. Saw the tweet from TJD shooting down tweets that he was looking to decommit and totally denied this. Most of this came from so called IU fans who thinks that downgrading everything about the program will help.
i would not classify those comments as personal. they are basketball. that's fair game on a basketball board.

I have listened to people argue that no OADs will water down college basketball, but I don't buy it at all.

I don't agree with that thought either. Maybe if D league gets huge and the salaries get big but I don't see that happening. Perhaps the ultra rare OAD like Zion Williamson is fun having around the game, but there are just as many positives to letting them go pro immediately.

And maybe I'm old school and naïve, but I at least like SOME façade of the kids getting an education while playing sports.

Purdue fan that comes in peace, Romeo is a perfect example of why the college game has slipped, kid is having a nice Frosh yr but is nowhere near ready for the NBA, 20-25 yrs ago he sticks around another year or two, now the money is too great to pass up. Personally, I would love him to stay, I would guess he would make a grest leep from this year to next.

Maybe we should analyze some of the other players in the draft to see who is going to replace Romeo when he drops out of the lottery. Romeo at 6 in ESPN. Garland at 7 and he is not even playing. Jaxson Hayes is a late bloomer at 14.
Fair. Good way to look at it.

talking about an iu player projected to be a lottery pick on an indiana basketball board is your definition of surreal?

Yes, they've lost 6 in a row and look like a middle school team sometimes. I don't see NBA level play out there by anyone. And why talk about it? Personally, it seems to me even more embarrassing to lose like that to Purdue and then try to say "oh, yeah, but our players are NBA talent"!

I don't get all this nowhere ready for the NBA. If an NBA team is willing to pay them big money and develop them, they are ready to be pros. Since culture is a big topic, a player like Romeo could learn the NBA culture, practice against NBA players and get just as much playing time in the G-League as he'd get in college.

Lonnie Walker just turned 20 and started off the year getting hurt, returned to play some games in the G-League and last night played a role off the bench for Pop and had a nice contribution.

Purdue fan that comes in peace, Romeo is a perfect example of why the college game has slipped, kid is having a nice Frosh yr but is nowhere near ready for the NBA, 20-25 yrs ago he sticks around another year or two, now the money is too great to pass up. Personally, I would love him to stay, I would guess he would make a grest leep from this year to next.

It is also difficult as anew coach attempting to go after clear talent in the state, then to watch as typical freshman play still occurs and in a minute he's gone.

You either stop going after anyone projected one and done or make sure they are going to be a man among boys.

I don't get all this nowhere ready for the NBA. If an NBA team is willing to pay them big money and develop them, they are ready to be pros. Since culture is a big topic, a player like Romeo could learn the NBA culture, practice against NBA players and get just as much playing time in the G-League as he'd get in college.

Lonnie Walker just turned 20 and started off the year getting hurt, returned to play some games in the G-League and last night played a role off the bench for Pop and had a nice contribution.
To me these kids might be ready to play on the court but what they are not ready for is the off the court stuff you have to deal with playing in the NBA

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT