ADVERTISEMENT

Wilkes comments

Tasmanian Devil

All-American
May 27, 2010
Five-star Wilkes updates recruiting process.

Interesting comments concerning Crean:

"Next weekend, it will be on to Indiana. Wilkes said that he's been going to campus since he was a fourth grader and that he knows a lot about the program so he'll be paying close attention to the actions of Tom Crean and his staff.

“Really they just need to be real," said Wilkes. "Don’t show me one side and then be different on the other side. At the end of the day if I go there and you weren’t as real as you were before I don’t want to be one of those guys that transfers so I would have to deal with it.

"But want them to keep it 100 so I can really get to know them as a staff and as players and get more of a feel for it.”

Been hearing the same stuff about Crean from kids for years now. But it's all lies . . . Kris, please stop your lying!

"Next weekend, it will be on to Indiana. Wilkes said that he's been going to campus since he was a fourth grader and that he knows a lot about the program so he'll be paying close attention to the actions of Tom Crean and his staff.

“Really they just need to be real," said Wilkes. "Don’t show me one side and then be different on the other side. At the end of the day if I go there and you weren’t as real as you were before I don’t want to be one of those guys that transfers so I would have to deal with it.

"But want them to keep it 100 so I can really get to know them as a staff and as players and get more of a feel for it.”

Been hearing the same stuff about Crean from kids for years now. But it's all lies . . . Kris, please stop your lying!
Huge need recruit. Hopefully CTC lands him. I think Wilkes wants to go to IU but needs for reassurance.

Reactions: mazz and Hoogolf

You would hope those are generic comments and reflective of his expectations for any school and staff he visits, but that sounds awfully familiar to the comments and whispers from more than a few. Of course, KW was quoted . . .

Knew this would end up on this board.

Not exactly raising the confidence level landing Wilkes.

What exactly is he talking about here?

He is suggesting Crean is not being 100% truthful.....I wonder about what.

Does Wilks think that Crean will play him at the four instead of the three, because I would think that he will get all the playing time that he wants with the projected roster. I wonder where the mistrust is coming from.

Does Wilks think that Crean will play him at the four instead of the three, because I would think that he will get all the playing time that he wants with the projected roster. I wonder where the mistrust is coming from.
The mistrust comes from how Crean has been as a coach toward players.

EX: Matt Roth had the opportunity to go to Bradley when KS was canned. Crean sold him on staying with IU "to rebuild the program".

Yet what happened when Roth's payoff year got here - when he'd get to enjoy the rewards of being on a #1 ranked squad? He got Creaned, that's what - and basketball people have long memories.

Reactions: IU40IU and TheSpa

EX: Matt Roth had the opportunity to go to Bradley when KS was canned. Crean sold him on staying with IU "to rebuild the program".

Yet what happened when Roth's payoff year got here - when he'd get to enjoy the rewards of being on a #1 ranked squad? He got Creaned, that's what - and basketball people have long memories.
Not only did he get Creaned, he was strung along and not fully informed of his status until very late in the game. A shoddy way to treat a loyal, hard working kid.

Reactions: IU Meathead

Roth left IU with a graduate degree, as I recall. That's a pretty good achievement.

Roth left IU with a graduate degree, as I recall. That's a pretty good achievement.
Did anyone GIVE those degrees to Matt? Or did he work his a$$ off and EARN them?

Roth got over-recruited even though he was what you want in a player: hard working, dedicated, great teammate, great student in the classroom - a real glue guy. I thought Crean loved having glue guys on the team?

Reactions: Hoogolf and BigMobe
I really doubt Wilks was thinking about Roth when he made that comment, but wherever it is coming from it is concerning.
Wilkes is essentially questioning Crean's sincerity, which is about as damning a sentiment as a prospective recruit can make about a coach. He seems to really like IU, but if he decides to be a Hoosier, it will be in spite of Crean rather than because of him. And most people, when confronted with that sort of dilemma, head in another direction.

It's trust.

If you say that you're gonna do something, don't do something else. Be straight up, 100. Why else you think Kris said "Don't show me one side and then be different on the other side "?

And so when an Oladipo, or Wade, or fill in the blank raves about the coach and trust, we ignore those players. Right?

I know coach Hawk never liked Crean and that is not a good sign for landing Indiana AAU kids. Heard him talk about the way they treated RP and how he would never send a kid there under CTC again.

Reactions: Rakkasan29
A lot of IN HS BB coaches want their ring kissed as they think they are owed something, and I wouldn't care really what the AAU coaches think. Trust me, I have been around the IN HS scene long enough to know that is true as well.

A lot of IN HS BB coaches want their ring kissed as they think they are owed something, and I wouldn't care really what the AAU coaches think. Trust me, I have been around the IN HS scene long enough to know that is true as well.

Izzo, who is in the hall of fame, sure doesn't have a problem kissing IN HS BB coaches rings.....

There are a lot of college coaches that want their rings kissed as well FYI.

Don't know about Crean, but you would be surprised at what college coaches expect from HS coaches.

Last edited:
Always love how everybody wants to cite how we don't get Indiana kids; yet Hartman & Blackmon are Indiana kids, as have Zeller, Yogi, and Hulls all come back to the campus, and speak highly of Coach Crean. My question is this, who would you rather have than OG, Bryant, Morgan, and Davis from Indiana in those spots?? McCracken and Knight both recruited from outside of the state. The mistake is thinking you have to take Indiana kids just for the sake of taking them. Anyone remember Delray Brooks?

Reactions: cheyennemtnman
Always love how everybody wants to cite how we don't get Indiana kids; yet Hartman & Blackmon are Indiana kids, as have Zeller, Yogi, and Hulls all come back to the campus, and speak highly of Coach Crean. My question is this, who would you rather have than OG, Bryant, Morgan, and Davis from Indiana in those spots?? McCracken and Knight both recruited from outside of the state. The mistake is thinking you have to take Indiana kids just for the sake of taking them. Anyone remember Delray Brooks?

This response seems to be the standard one for the "in state talent isn't important" crowd.

It's pretty straight forward and the 2017 class is a perfect example.

A school like Indiana should have the advantage with in state talent, just like any other top level program. Does that mean all Indiana talent is going to go to IU, no....but IU should be in the running for the vast majority of the in state talent. This isn't people "living in the past"....it's getting the talent a school like IU should have the best shot at.

The last top Indiana kid IU landed was Blackmon....and he decomitted at one point. IU hasn't locked up a top Indiana kid early since Yogi....and he just graduated.

IU will NOT do well getting top level talent (top 50) out of state....Bryant is here because Cuse was on probation.

Before Bryant, your next out of state 5 star (and only other out of state 5 star for Crean in 8 years) is Vonleh....and we all know how that turned out.

Troy worked out, but Robinson and many others did not.

Davis is top 50, let's wait and see how that turns out.

If OG, Bryant, and JBJ leave.....what's your expectation for next year?

Last edited:
Not sure that's the point. When you consistently get the best Indiana kids you are usually getting among the best coached kids in the country. It also has a way of further exciting the fan base, and says something about in state loyalty. And even though it was great getting Cody, Yogi and James, we missed out on Harris, Lyles and others to nearby poachers such as MSU, Kentucky and Louisville with no reciprocal positive recruiting by us in those states. Knight used to overwhelming recruit Indiana, Ohio and Illinois. So much talent didn't have to spend a lot of money and time elsewhere. If I were an Indiana taxpayer I'd be furious with the obscene amount of money spent on recruiting. Not necessary to run all around the country chasing these players who have no link to IU's storied tradition. Yes, I'm glad we have OG and Josh, who look like very solid players. But if want to build a powerhouse the backyard has some strong roots in it for us to fully cultivate.

It isn't
like we aren't filling scholarships with kids who are good. We have won 2 outright B1G titles
in the last four years, and been to 3 SS in the last five. We haven't done that since 93 & 94 which
is over 20 years ago. I say be happy with the kids who are coming to IU, coach them up, and see
what happens. We had plenty of Indiana kids who left the Knight & Davis programs complaining about their treatment by the coaches. Not every Indiana kid is going to be a star at IU, and some of them also
don't want the aggravation of playing in the fishbowl and having family and friends wondering why they
aren't the star. Also, I believe that every coach has a responsibility to recruit the best players, and if that
means recruiting over the kids on the roster, then so be it. Get better or get moving on.

Reactions: mazz
I just saw that as well. Makes me wonder if Wilkes is worried that he can't beat out Smith for playing time, or that he thinks he will play out of his comfort zone by position. I say we ought to be glad to have either one or both, no matter where they reside.

Sounds like there may be some heated competition here which may have provoked the remarks... Just Maybe?
Link

Wilkes is twice the talent Smith is.

To me, this is bad....because you are only going to get one from Smith, Tucker, and Wilkes....which is 3 of the 4 top talent we are on

I just saw that as well. Makes me wonder if Wilkes is worried that he can't beat out Smith for playing time, or that he thinks he will play out of his comfort zone by position. I say we ought to be glad to have either one or both, no matter where they reside.

Again, Wilkes is much better than Smith...

The question is, why are we recruiting 3 players (Tucker too) for the same spot?

And so when an Oladipo, or Wade, or fill in the blank raves about the coach and trust, we ignore those players. Right?
Crean gave
Sounds like there may be some heated competition here which may have provoked the remarks... Just Maybe?
Link
That's a myth that he'd be scared off by the competition, though it's obviously moot since Crean won't take both of them. Wilkes has trust issues with Crean, which he very clearly communicated in the linked quotes.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT