ADVERTISEMENT

Why wouldn't Stevens?

NO Nick enjoys being at a school that will pay players so he always has a huge talent advantage. Nfl his teams did not have same advantage.
I always laugh at the claims that the best college coaches pay players. I've heard it a thousand times about Saban. He's a guy who is maniacal about doing the little things right and being detail oriented. There's a reason he preaches about "the process" and never enjoying winning a championship because he knows he needs to go to work the very next day on winning the next championship.

eh...it's not like he's going to the beach or Bourbon St. on those trips. For the most part, the inside of a basketball arena in the NBA and Division I schools look mostly the same.
One of the big differences is how you travel. College is pedestrian compared to the pros.

eh...it's not like he's going to the beach or Bourbon St. on those trips. For the most part, the inside of a basketball arena in the NBA and Division I schools look mostly the same.

basketball_measure.jpg

Brad just gave an interview to a Boston radio station saying he was not leaving the Celtics for Indiana.

He will never coach college again. The only place in Indiana he may ever coach is Indy for the pacers

I'd argue it's a different kind of babysitting... 80+ games versus 30+ (time on the road). Also, real basketball with real defense as opposed to whatever the NBA game is now IMO.

Ultimately, your fate is in the hands of the players in the pros, specifically, the one or two best players. The most successful pro coaches recently have been zen-masters like Riley & Jackson. They won't tolerate the The Red Auerbach approach anymore. I see Brad S. as being more like the former rather than Red A. But.......I could see how he'd really miss moving the pawns around on the chess board like the college game allows.

I don't see anyone has mentioned this, but how about offering him a "lifetime contract" ala Harbaugh at Michigan. That might make him more comfortable with the idea of closing out his career at IU

The biggest problem I see is that he'd be viewed as the second coming if he came back to Indiana. Promise to limit his exposure somehow.......

college rules are more flexible and favorable for coaches than they were last time Stevens was a college coach. so there's that.

If you are Stevens, do you really want to retire in Boston? You just saw the media get ugly there a few weeks ago. Is an NBA championship really as satisfying as an NCAA championship? At some point the money isnt the driver. Why not come back now and be revered? Gotta think its tempting and a dream for him.
Only a narcissist wants to be revered. If that's the reason anyone wants to coach here . pass.

Reactions: Spartans9312
Or...

have to coach 80+ games during a season that lasts from October to June, spend half your time away from that house you have in Boston, don't be involved with the ridiculous antics of 19-30 somethings who make more money than you.
if i were a coach i would never work for a team that pays their players more than i make. even kentucky doesn't do that.

if i were a coach i would never work for a team that pays their players more than i make. even kentucky doesn't do that.

Last year, the average salary for a NBA coach was around 3 million. There were only two coaches that made 10 million or more and one of them got fired, so Pop is now the only coach (I believe) making over 10 million.

The Spurs are the only team that come close to your criteria, so I doubt you'll be coaching in the league anytime soon 😉.

Last year, the average salary for a NBA coach was around 3 million. There were only two coaches that made 10 million or more and one of them got fired, so Pop is now the only coach (I believe) making over 10 million.

The Spurs are the only team that come close to your criteria, so I doubt you'll be coaching in the league anytime soon 😉.
i don't even know what you just said. are you saying that nba players don't make more than their coaches?

i don't even know what you just said. are you saying that nba players don't make more than their coaches?

You said you would never coach for a team that paid their players more than the coach. I was just pointing out that the Spurs are literally the only team to come close to that criteria as Pop makes more than all but 5 players this year.

Go look at his comments pregame tonight.. I don’t know how you can say your interested without actually saying “yeah I am interested” if it isn’t what he said tonight. Never felt more promising IMO. Might not get him but the answers aren’t what they were 4 years ago when he was asked.
Be shocked but don’t be shocked. I think Brad is a real possibility.

Brad just gave an interview to a Boston radio station saying he was not leaving the Celtics for Indiana.
People will always find a way to parse the words. The hosts asked him was he quitting his job with the Celtics to coach Indiana. Brad said “no”. People will speculate on that like “maybe Brad meant he wasn’t quitting right now, as in he’s finishing out the season”. Brad wouldn’t do it, but he could post a video of himself literally taking a shit on a picture of Assembly Hall and wiping his ass with an IU shirt. People would still be saying “well maybe what he meant was...”. I don’t care what Brad or any other coach says, speculation won’t stop until a hire is made official. I think it’s entertaining.

Reactions: Columbus-Boiler
I think he likes the pro game, and feels secure that even if Boston let him go down the road he would get another gig easily (he would).

IU job is better long term than the Celtics job.
1) Brad is a better fit in College Basketball where he would immediately be one of the top college coaches in the country, and the best under age 50. It is always good to be#1.
2) NBA jobs are usually not long term gigs. Unless you are Gregg Popovich, NBA Head Coaches are Larry Brown nomad types, hired gun coach types. Brad seems to be more of a Indiana stable employment kind of guy,
3) Living and raising a family in Bloomington, IN is >>> Better than living in cold, wintery, old, Boston, MA
4) Taxes in Indiana are much less than living in Massachusetts.
5) Nick Saban was once a NFL pro football head coach and is now THE GUY in college football while coaching at Bama. Nobody even remembers that he once was a failed NFL Coach, only that now Saban is the best coach in College Football and is knocking on Bear Bryant's door as the best coach in BAMA and SEC History. Competing in the shadow of a college coaching legend Bear Bryant didn't deter or stop Saban from taking the Bama job after several coaches were hired and had limited success and failed to stay at Bama after Bear Bryant.
6) Brad would be THE MAN in Indiana Basketball, and a state-wide celebrity for life.
7) Brad would almost assuredly restore IU to Blue Blood greatness, and would bring up images of a young Coach K at a Top 5 Basketball Blue Blood.
9) Brad checks the NBA Coaching box for top level recruits with NBA aspirations.
10) Brad can not publically say he is interested in the IU job for all of the above obvious Long Term advantages over the current and likely temporary Celtics job.
11) Brad is an Indiana guy with Indiana roots and just happens to be one of the brightest young basketball coaches on the planet who would absolutely succeed in a big way at IU.
12) Brad's next NBA coaching job might be at a very undesirable location, for a team that is poorly managed, and with no resourses to improve and be successful.

Last edited:
If you are Stevens, do you really want to retire in Boston? You just saw the media get ugly there a few weeks ago. Is an NBA championship really as satisfying as an NCAA championship? At some point the money isnt the driver. Why not come back now and be revered? Gotta think its tempting and a dream for him.

1. it’s the Boston Celtics, not the Pelicans were talking about
2. have you seen the way Archie was treated by the media and fans? IU is not immune to ugly media/fans
3. No comment on the money other than I personally wouldn’t know the difference between having $20M in the bank vs. $30M in the bank.

2. have you seen the way Archie was treated by the media and fans? IU is not immune to ugly media/fans
3. No comment on the money other than I personally wouldn’t know the difference between having $20M in the bank vs. $30M in the bank.

1. Depends on your POV. I personally hate watching the NBA--undeniably great athletes but game is different and doesn't seem like they really play their hardest until the playoffs.

2. Archie knew what he was getting into. I think he was treated pretty fair considering his lack of results. Was his yard full of For Sale signs at the end of the season? That certainly happens many places.

3. Not sure either what the lifestyle difference is going to be once you're past 10M..I guess if you want a bigger yacht it matters. Some opportunities money can't buy. He may never get another chance again unless we hire some stiff.

I'm obviously biased but if I had the opportunity between bringing IU back to glory and bouncing around the NBA for cash, it would take less than a second to decide.

Didn’t you say Archie wouldn’t be fired??? Yea that’s what I thought, getting worried there you Boiler you

He’s been extremely careful so far in his comments. He has not completely shut the door on either the Celtics or IU. Very smart. My guess is that with his family and closest friends he’s weighing the pros and cons very carefully. He’s got plenty of time to do this with the playoffs still not happening for a while. Like I said in another thread, if Dolan doesn’t announce a new hire in the next thirty days Stevens is a real possibility. If the Celtics don’t make it to the Eastern Finals or don’t perform well there if they do, his Boston days could be numbered.

One of the big differences is how you travel. College is pedestrian compared to the pros.

He’d have a private plane at his disposal for all his own travel. I actually don’t know how the team travels, but they’d only have 20 or so games each year away from Bloomington. I gotta think the team charters planes for most of their away games? I travel 150 plus days a year with dozens of airline trips...and I’ve never seen 1) a high major basketball team in an airport 2)a coach I’d consider at Stevens level in an airport. I saw Huggins once. I see Brey a fair bit. Never anyone like Coach K, or Roy Williams, or Calipari, or Self.

Might be that Dolson has laid out the private plane, charters, and the Calipari/Saban/Coach K approach to recruiting. Which is private planes in and out of top AAU tournaments. Zoom calls. And a couple in home visits to close kids every year.

His experience at IU would be vastly different than it was at Butler. Probably much more similar to his Celtics experience in terms of amenities, type of travel, etc...

Here's the thing I was thinking, reading Sterling's column. And again, I realize he's a blogger, and not a fully connected media member, like a beat writer might be. But, if you got a third-hand account of someone supposedly showing a house to Stevens and his wife, you'd think he could vet that fairly easily. Like, work his way back to the friend of the friend's realtor aunt, and just ask her one simple question: when was your showing appointment? When that turns out to be a time when the Celtics were on a road trip to freaking Sacramento, then you shoot that rumor down. Kind of like how the Billy Donovan rumor that fell apart when someone figured out that he was coaching practice in OKC the afternoon he was supposedly in Bloomington closing the deal on a contract.

Who knows, maybe BS is harboring thoughts of sliding out of his NBA gig. But only he knows at this point. He's certainly not openly talking to people, and certainly is not personally out looking at homes with the fam. We have fancy things like 'puters and the interweb, and one can do amazing things these days like real estate searches. I'm not buying that rumor.
I beg to differ.

It has been proven that you can be in two different places at the same time.

It’s a complex equation of time and space known as “fpeaugh’s Law.”

IU job is better long term than the Celtics job.
1) Brad is a better fit in College Basketball where he would immediately be one of the top college coaches in the country, and the best under age 50. It is always good to be#1.
2) NBA jobs are usually not long term gigs. Unless you are Gregg Popovich, NBA Head Coaches are Larry Brown nomad types, hired gun coach types. Brad seems to be more of a Indiana stable employment kind of guy,
3) Living and raising a family in Bloomington, IN is >>> Better than living in cold, wintery, old, Boston, MA
4) Taxes in Indiana are much less than living in Massachusetts.
5) Nick Saban was once a NFL pro football head coach and is now THE GUY in college football while coaching at Bama. Nobody even remembers that he once was a failed NFL Coach, only that now Saban is the best coach in College Football and is knocking on Bear Bryant's door as the best coach in BAMA and SEC History. Competing in the shadow of a college coaching legend Bear Bryant didn't deter or stop Saban from taking the Bama job after several coaches were hired and had limited success and failed to stay at Bama after Bear Bryant.
6) Brad would be THE MAN in Indiana Basketball, and a state-wide celebrity for life.
7) Brad would almost assuredly restore IU to Blue Blood greatness, and would bring up images of a young Coach K at a Top 5 Basketball Blue Blood.
9) Brad checks the NBA Coaching box for top level recruits with NBA aspirations.
10) Brad can not publically say he is interested in the IU job for all of the above obvious Long Term advantages over the current and likely temporary Celtics job.
11) Brad is an Indiana guy with Indiana roots and just happens to be one of the brightest young basketball coaches on the planet who would absolutely succeed in a big way at IU.
12) Brad's next NBA coaching job might be at a very undesirable location, for a team that is poorly managed, and with no resourses to improve and be successful.
Denial? Alien abduction? Help us out here.

He’d have a private plane at his disposal for all his own travel. I actually don’t know how the team travels, but they’d only have 20 or so games each year away from Bloomington. I gotta think the team charters planes for most of their away games? I travel 150 plus days a year with dozens of airline trips...and I’ve never seen 1) a high major basketball team in an airport 2)a coach I’d consider at Stevens level in an airport. I saw Huggins once. I see Brey a fair bit. Never anyone like Coach K, or Roy Williams, or Calipari, or Self.

Might be that Dolson has laid out the private plane, charters, and the Calipari/Saban/Coach K approach to recruiting. Which is private planes in and out of top AAU tournaments. Zoom calls. And a couple in home visits to close kids every year.

His experience at IU would be vastly different than it was at Butler. Probably much more similar to his Celtics experience in terms of amenities, type of travel, etc...
Have you ever seen how NBA teams travel? Aircraft with interiors designed specifically for the players. College sports charters aren’t anywhere close to that. And we stay in “regular” hotels in college towns. That’s not how the NBA stays. It’s not torture either way, but one is much better than the other.

They’ve always used Cook inc planes out of Bloomington airport.

Let's see coach 80+ games a year in the NBA, live in Boston and not have to be involved in the ridiculous recruiting antics with 17 and 16 year olds? And no babysitting!
It Stevens is an NBA now, he'll definitely get a shot at another job if Boston doesn't work out anymore. 7 years is a long time to stay with one team in the NBA.

The NBA is like musical chairs with coaches. They just recycle the same guys over and over.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT