ADVERTISEMENT

Why don't we ever play Notre Dame?

ChicagoFineForNow

Benchwarmer
Sep 18, 2023
Seems weird. We share a state as some of you know. Notre Dame plays everyone else in the region at least occasionally even with the ACC schedule. Purdue, MSU, Michigan, Northwestern, Wisconsin.

Why don't we ever play Notre Dame? They scared? We scared?

I strongly dislike ND and domers. Reversible jacket fans annoy the shit out of me as well.

With that said, it would make zero sense for ND to schedule IU in football but once in a blue moon. They already play Purdue yearly. They play Michigan pretty regularly. And they rotate in Michigan St, Ohio St, Penn st and Northwestern quite often. That game would only benefit IU. ND would get nothing out of it. But they are supposed to play in 2030. That the blue moon and it's pretty cool.

Id equate it to the BBall series we had with them. It really only benefited ND.

I strongly dislike ND and domers. Reversible jacket fans annoy the shit out of me as well.

With that said, it would make zero sense for ND to schedule IU in football but once in a blue moon. They already play Purdue yearly. They play Michigan pretty regularly. And they rotate in Michigan St, Ohio St, Penn st and Northwestern quite often. That game would only benefit IU. ND would get nothing out of it. But they are supposed to play in 2030. That the blue moon and it's pretty cool.

Id equate it to the BBall series we had with them. It really only benefited ND.
I don't think ND plays any of those Big Ten teams any longer.

I don't think ND plays any of those Big Ten teams any longer.
They play Purdue September 14th. At Purdue. Unfortunately most of my close friends are engineers from Purdouche. They want me to go with them to the game. I might just go. Id get insanely black out drunk. Make them care for me and ruin their weekend on purpose.

They play Purdue September 14th. At Purdue. Unfortunately most of my close friends are engineers from Purdouche. They want me to go with them to the game. I might just go. Id get insanely black out drunk. Make them care for me and ruin their weekend on purpose.
No winners in that game. Anyway, they haven't played Purdue in quite awhile...it used to be an annual matchup before ND/ACC scheduling alliance.

One of the criteria for the ND schedule is to increase profile and help their recruiting - both football/sports and academic. ND already gets publicity in Indiana so what's in it for them to play IU?

I ask this, outside of the outright competition why should IU with any sporting program do anything to enhance, advance and promote ND, win or lose? Teams such as Pitt, Cincy, L'ville, Ky. etc add a better opportunity for 2 heads up games for IUFB development and the Fightin Amish can go crack their smug knuckles.

Was at the ‘91 game. Probably 90+ degrees at Kickoff. IU had a good turnout at Notre Dame Stadium, which was pre-renovation, so just under 60k. A tough ticket for sure. Was also ND’s first game on their NBC deal. IU hung for a while, with both Vaughn Dunbar and Brett Law getting some good runs in. IIRC, Trent Green’s first pass of the season got ND on the board with a pick 6!! Irv Smith dragged 5-6 Hoosiers 20+ yards or so for a TD right in front of us.

Also there. Their big NG ( Byrant Young) just took over our offensive line in the 2nd half, & with Green's ints. we couldn't mount much offense in the 2nd half. It was close for a while in the 1st half, & I loved watching Lou Holtz squirm a bit on the sidelines. BTW, Cooper Jones's dad, Eric played DL on that ND team.

Last edited:
Also there. Their big NG ( Byrant Young) just took over our offensive line in the 2nd half, & with Green's ints. we couldn't mount much offense in the 2nd half. It was close for a while in the 1st half, & I loved watching Lou Holtz squirm a bit on the sidelines. BTW, Cooper Jones's dad, Eric played DL on that ND team.
Correct. He played football and basketball at Portage.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT