ADVERTISEMENT

Why does the GOP always want to make it more difficult to vote?

As I've said a zillion bazillion times, the real controversy shouldn't be about the actual impact of these laws, but rather why the GOP has such a hard-on for them in the first place. The party has been going to extreme lengths to prevent non-existent problems by creating voting hurdles for people that are not exactly GOP-friendly. This sort of tactic should be abhorrent to all of us, no matter how big the effect in the present.

I think a rationale and reasonable ID law is fine...the focus should be on the shenanigans going on in Georgia....or what I've complained about many times that's been documented as obvious voter suppression here in Indy, that finally took a federal judge to slap the local GOP into line.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/el...gov-candidate-purging-voters-election-n918761

https://www.ibj.com/articles/69630-judge-orders-marion-county-to-offer-even-more-early-voting-sites

Here’s a classic Republican move. The secretary state is running for governor and is purging voters...70% of whom are black. The candidate is in charge of enforcing who gets to vote:

What's your point? The blacks wouldn't vote for him, so why should he represent them? This is the new transactional politics that's completely okay now that the President of the United States is a corrupt unfit Russian imbecile stooge who runs the country for the benefit of himself, his family, and (HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA) his base.

Screenshot_4.png

Never Trump Republicans want to believe Trump is just a bug, but in fact he's enthusiastically regarded as a feature in the fever swamps of the new GOP (and in Russia!), where Trump is Republicans' most adored president in the history of polling, apart from George W. Bush (briefly) in the aftermath of 9/11 (plus he was never really popular in Russia).

Trump and the shitty Republican policies he's stumbled into make him and Republicanism extraordinarily unpopular. This merely underscores the Republican imperative to keep the undesirables from outvoting the deplorables.

Obviously Republicans have to depress Democratic turnout. That Electoral College won't graduate only Republicans all by itself, after all.

Reactions: DrHoops
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voting_rights_in_the_United_States
The issue of voting rights in the United States, specifically the enfranchisement and disenfranchisement of different groups, has been contested throughout United States history.

Eligibility to vote in the United States is established both through the federal constitution and by state law. Several constitutional amendments (the 15th, 19th, and 26th specifically) require that voting rights cannot be abridged on account of race, color, previous condition of servitude, sex, or age for those above 18; the constitution as originally written did not establish any such rights during 1787–1870. In the absence of a specific federal law or constitutional provision, each state is given considerable discretion to establish qualifications for suffrage and candidacy within its own respective jurisdiction; in addition, states and lower level jurisdictions establish election systems, such as at-large or single member district elections for county councils or school boards.

Beyond qualifications for suffrage, rules and regulations concerning voting (such as the poll tax) have been contested since the advent of Jim Crow laws and related provisions that indirectly disenfranchised racial minorities. Since the Voting Rights Act of 1965, the 24th Amendment to the Constitution, and related laws, voting rights have been legally considered an issue related to election systems. The Supreme Court ruled in 1964 that both houses of all state legislatures had to be based on election districts that were relatively equal in population size, under the "one man, one vote" principle. In 1972, the Court ruled that state legislatures had to redistrict every ten years based on census results; at that point, many had not redistricted for decades, often leading to a rural bias.​
I'm not sure what you think this means.

If you were serious, you'd talk about every citizen getting an ID for free. That would show a patriotic fervor wanting every citizen to have the right to participate in our great experiment called the United States of America.

Cool, make them free. Then the argument switches to how difficult it is for poor people and elderly to make it to the location where they would acquire this free I.D.

Cool, make them free. Then the argument switches to how difficult it is for poor people and elderly to make it to the location where they would acquire this free I.D.

ID cards are free in Indiana....no clue about elsewhere.

I'm not sure what you think this means.
I think it means that: (1) there is a long history of disputes in this country about who should be allowed to vote. That was responsive to your hope that everyone would agree that everyone should be able to vote; and (2) that a right to vote is much more contingent than most people would think. For example, the advocacy group FairVote argues that a constitutional amendment guaranteeing the vote is needed.

Contrary to popular belief, there is not an affirmative right to vote in the U.S. Constitution
While the U.S. Constitution bans the restriction of voting based on race, sex and age, it does not explicitly and affirmatively state that all U.S. citizens have a right to vote. The Supreme Court ruled in Bush v. Gore in 2000 that citizens do not have the right to vote for electors for president. States control voting policies and procedures, and as a result, we have a patchwork of inconsistent voting rules run independently by 50 states, 3,067 counties and over 13,000 voting districts, all separate and unequal.

Millions of Americans are permanently barred from voting
Approximately 5 million Americans convicted of felonies who have already completed their sentences are permanently disenfranchised. Fourteen states do not have an automatic restoration process in place for returning citizens who have completed their sentences. Some states like Florida leave re-enfranchisement decisions to the discretion of public officials, discretion which could be exercised arbitrarily or used for political gain.

However, it is not only ex-felons who face difficulty registering to vote. Americans living overseas have trouble registering in their home district, because their state may not consider them residents anymore. Many college students attempting to register at their college precinct have faced voter intimidation or were simply refused the ability to register to vote. Such obstacles are not only arbitrary, but in many cases politically motivated.

The Right to Vote Amendment will guarantee all American citizens at least 18 years of age a constitutionally protected individual right to vote. Much like the rights to speech and religion, a constitutionally protected right to vote will be difficult to limit without showing a strong need for the limitation to exist.

State authority over voting creates unnecessary voting difficulties
Voting should be a simple process in which any registered citizen can easily participate. However, this is not always the case. Voter identification and registration requirements, as well as the machines that voters use, vary widely between states. States and counties design their own ballots, pursue their own voter education, and have near-complete authority over their state voting policies and procedures. With over 10,000 different jurisdictions, voters and potential voters are much more likely to cast a counted vote in some states, some counties, and some areas of the country than others, simply based on the difference in standards for each election. Elections in many states are rife with lost and incorrectly counted votes, and many voters are incorrectly told that they cannot cast a ballot.

Since voting is regulated by the states, there is little the national government can do if voters are intimidated or harassed at the polling booth. With the Supreme Court's 2013 decision to strike down section 4 of the Voting Rights Act, and Congress's unwillingness to act to restore key components of the Act, a Right to Vote Amendment is needed to further enforce voting rights.

Congress is powerless to set national standards
At present, Congress can take no action to formally help improve voting standards across the nation. While the Help America Vote Act (HAVA) of 2002, which passed in response to the voting fiasco of the 2000 presidential elections, does establish some standards including a provisional ballot, states are not required to follow these policies. The only way to ensure that every vote is counted and that electors follow the will of the people of their state is to create a constitutionally protected right to vote. The Right to Vote Amendment will give Congress the authority to protect the individual right to vote and oversee voting policies and procedures to ensure that elections are fair, accurate and efficient.​

I went and played blackjack at a few....does that count?

At some point you've got to be able to show who you are, to vote. If not, I could walk up to the polling place, say I'm Uncle Mark, and take your ballot, no?

I have always had to show some sort of ID, or some other proof of who I am, to vote. Due to moving around the state I’ve voted in at least six different precincts and I’ve never, never ever ever ever ever ever, been able to walk up and proclaim “Hi, I’m so-and-so” and the person working said “Terrific, Mr White Man, go vote” without asking for ID of some sort. Where exactly do people just get to walk up and vote without proving who they are? Please, tell me, where? Where is this a problem? Where is all this illegal voting I keep hearing about from republicans taking place? I just want to see it. Have you seen it?

In my precinct in Chicago, I walked in the church where the voting took place. Told them my name. They looked up my name to see if I lived in the precinct and had me sign my name next to my printed name on the voter role (I guess that's what it's called). They handed me a ballot and I went and voted. It would be pretty damned hard to do large scale voting fraud, even in that setting. That's why all this stuff the Republicans are pulling is totally bogus.

In fact, I was prepared to say I don't need to have a license to vote if they asked me for ID. By the way, there are Democrats and Republicans manning the polling places, so it's not like no one there is watching you.

I have always had to show some sort of ID, or some other proof of who I am, to vote. Due to moving around the state I’ve voted in at least six different precincts and I’ve never, never ever ever ever ever ever, been able to walk up and proclaim “Hi, I’m so-and-so” and the person working said “Terrific, Mr White Man, go vote” without asking for ID of some sort. Where exactly do people just get to walk up and vote without proving who they are? Please, tell me, where? Where is this a problem? Where is all this illegal voting I keep hearing about from republicans taking place? I just want to see it. Have you seen it?

Just another item on the GOP's long list of distractors from the fact that the GOP actually represents the selfish subset of the 1%ers and no one else.

Apparently North Dakota, since this was what this was about....and CO and IL, I guess too.

Prior to Indiana’s voter ID law, I voted all my life without showing identification. They had my registration signature reproduced on the sign in sheet, and so long as my signature matched there was no problem. It was a simple effective system that worked for everyone. But as Dick Posner belatedly recognized, Indiana Republicans preferred to disenfranchise Democrats.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.lati...-are-evil-20141013-column.html?outputType=amp

Reactions: DrHoops
Prior to Indiana’s voter ID law, I voted all my life without showing identification. They had my registration signature reproduced on the sign in sheet, and so long as my signature matched there was no problem. It was a simple effective system that worked for everyone. But as Dick Posner belatedly recognized, Indiana Republicans preferred to disenfranchise Democrats.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.latimes.com/business/hiltzik/la-fi-mh-why-voter-id-laws-are-evil-20141013-column.html?outputType=amp

If I’m thinking of the right law, it was passed in 2005. I’ve been asked to show ID or at least proof of my address going back to the 80s and 90s. The people ahead of me and behind me in line we’re always asked to do the same thing. If you happened to have lost your license or whatever, you could show a utility bill with your name and address. I’ve always had to show something which is why I’ve never understood all this illegal voting people claim is taking is place. I’ve seen fraudulent voter registration, but that’s completely different from someone showing up to vote. For example, I’ve seen voter registration forms with Scooby-Doo’s name on them, but I’ve never seen some dude claiming to be Scooby show up to vote. Maybe I just missed that person showing up.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT