ADVERTISEMENT

Who stays? Who goes?

Dec 9, 2017
With as small of a recruiting class as we have this year, I'm expecting a strong share of our seniors and draft-eligible guys to stick around for one more year, especially given the extra free year of eligibility. If I had to guess:

• Swann: stays
  • Jerome Johnson: declares
  • Nworah: definitely stays (just got into a grad program)
  • Ball: declares or transfers
  • Ziemba: stays
  • Powell: stays
  • Fryfogle: declares
  • Whop: declares but I think his stock has fallen a bit. Longshot to return.
  • Layne: already said he's staying
  • Hendershot: declares
  • Stevie Scott: will be interesting to follow. I've seen him unexpectedly high on some big boards out there.
I also wouldn't be shocked if one of Jaylin Williams, Cam Jones, or Jamar Johnson starts to pick up steam with NFL scouts and declares. I've heard palpable buzz around all 3 having NFL upside.

But overall, I think we're in a great position for next year given that a lot of our guys are on the fringes of cracking the next level and will be driven to come back for another year to prove it. Then next year it'll be a mass exodus of guys like Mullen, Jamar Johnson, Reese Taylor, and possibly even Penix followed by a massive recruiting class to start the cycle all over again.

With as small of a recruiting class as we have this year, I'm expecting a strong share of our seniors and draft-eligible guys to stick around for one more year, especially given the extra free year of eligibility. If I had to guess:

• Stevie Scott: will be interesting to follow. I've seen him unexpectedly high on some big boards out there.
I also wouldn't be shocked if one of Jaylin Williams, Cam Jones, or Jamar Johnson starts to pick up steam with NFL scouts and declares. I've heard palpable buzz around all 3 having NFL upside.

But overall, I think we're in a great position for next year given that a lot of our guys are on the fringes of cracking the next level and will be driven to come back for another year to prove it. Then next year it'll be a mass exodus of guys like Mullen, Jamar Johnson, Reese Taylor, and possibly even Penix followed by a massive recruiting class to start the cycle all over again.
You are right...2022 will be the year of reloading. Hope the players are in house to do it.

Not being negative...just do not know if we have the players or not.

Reactions: vesuvius13

I really haven't given it the amount of thought you have but just off the top of my head I'd say the only "close to a sure thing" as to an underclassman leaving early is Stevie Scott... He's really upped his game and has had decent results against both Maryland and Wisconsin... He's looking more like a 6'2 230lb back ought to look like... If he has a decent Bowl game I'd expect him to declare...

Fryfogle might go..., but if he bets on himself and stays, he might just parlay another great season into a first two rounds payday...

I don't see any of the others as quite pro ready in spite of their great season so far... Production next Fall is the key to their pro value, in my opinion...

Last edited:
Next year's recruiting class needs to be a bunch of homeruns with doubles and triples mixed in for good measure. Indiana looks to be loaded in 2021, so sure, 2022 could possibly be a rebuilding year. What equals a rebuilding year, 6 wins?

With Allen's eye for talent and his ability to bring in upper echelon quarterback talent, his rebuilding year may be better than you think. Not to mention his ability to trot out a good defense....

The body can only take so many hits. Selfishly, would love to see as many stick around as possible, but know some think they are ready. For all they have given to IU, their coaches, their teammates, us fans, I am grateful.

While Scott looks like he could go, I think back to Jordan Howard. Didn't he go in the 4th or 5th round? JH played behind a MUCH better OL in '15, had better numbers yet kept getting dinged up missing I believe 4-5 games. Stevie has more pedestrian numbers, less speed but seems more durable. Will be surprised if he sticks around.

The body can only take so many hits. Selfishly, would love to see as many stick around as possible, but know some think they are ready. For all they have given to IU, their coaches, their teammates, us fans, I am grateful.

While Scott looks like he could go, I think back to Jordan Howard. Didn't he go in the 4th or 5th round? JH played behind a MUCH better OL in '15, had better numbers yet kept getting dinged up missing I believe 4-5 games. Stevie has more pedestrian numbers, less speed but seems more durable.
Interesting comparison between JH and SS.

The best ability is availability. Stevie ran hard against WI.

My list of guys who I think depart:
  1. Whop Philyor
  2. Fryfogel
  3. Marcelino Ball
  4. Jordan Jakes
  5. Noah Pierre
  6. Beau Robbins
  7. Nick Marozas
  8. TJ Ivy
  9. Peyton Hendershot
  10. Jerome Johnson

My list of guys who I think depart:
  1. Whop Philyor
  2. Fryfogel
  3. Marcelino Ball
  4. Jordan Jakes
  5. Noah Pierre
  6. Beau Robbins
  7. Nick Marozas
  8. TJ Ivy
  9. Peyton Hendershot
  10. Jerome Johnson
That’s a semi depressing post. Why people think Ball will depart? I thought Beau Robbins is progressing? But if they left, it does slow for née recruits or transfers. Cycle of life in college FB.

Don't have stats on number of plays, but thought Pierre has been getting a decent number of snaps in recent games.

While Scott looks like he could go, I think back to Jordan Howard. Didn't he go in the 4th or 5th round? JH played behind a MUCH better OL in '15, had better numbers yet kept getting dinged up missing I believe 4-5 games. Stevie has more pedestrian numbers, less speed but seems more durable. Will be surprised if he sticks around.
One of the things that has become evident in recent years is that The NFL doesn't overvalue running backs. It is becoming rare for a running Back to be drafted in the first round. Last Year, the Colts took Johnathan Taylor in the 2nd Round around 45th overall pick, and I believe he was the 3rd Back taken. There are too many instances of lower round or Free Agent Running Backs who have broken through to become Starters. Add this to the fact that the average career of a running back is much shorter than that of a Lineman, Teams figure that it is better to take an Offensive Lineman who could start for 10 years than a running Back in a high round.

Bottom Line for Scott. If he is projected at 4th to 6th Round, staying for another Year probably won't vault him into the first two rounds, plus it's another year of hits and abuse to his body that could take a year or 2 off his Professional Career.

Looking at Pro Footballs 7 round mock draft that was just done up on Monday, not a single IU player is drafted and that included underclassmen. Obviously that is not the bible of draft information and I would be SHOCKED if a guy like Fryfogle went and was not drafted. With that said, I don't think that many players declare. They have every right and should make the best decision for each individually but I see 2 guys going early, max.

Looking at Pro Footballs 7 round mock draft that was just done up on Monday, not a single IU player is drafted and that included underclassmen. Obviously that is not the bible of draft information and I would be SHOCKED if a guy like Fryfogle went and was not drafted. With that said, I don't think that many players declare. They have every right and should make the best decision for each individually but I see 2 guys going early, max.
Think a lot of the speculation on list above of about 10 names is a few to declare, but others to go to transfer portal due to lack playing time. I’d imagine a few but probably not all that were listed, ie Pierre & Robbins, but I have no insights either way.

I'm confused on this. Don't all classes get an extra year of eligibility? So guys in the class with Taylor, Johnson have the option to stay after 2021 ?

You are right...2022 will be the year of reloading. Hope the players are in house to do it.

Not being negative...just do not know if we have the players or not.
I don't think 2022 will be a re-loading year. A lot of talent we've got to know will depart but there are already young guys getting PT that will be seniors that year.
2022 roster projections
QB: Penix & Tuttle will both be SRs if they both stay
RB: Baldwin (JR) Ellis (SR)
OL: Katic (JR) & Bedford (SR) have already started. There are others they like but we haven't seen.
TE: This one is a "?" because Hendershot & Bjorson have had this thing locked up for two years and will again next year.
WR: Hewitt (SR), Marshall (SR), Swinton (JR). These guys have already been clutch and productive as freshmen and sophomores.

DL: King (SR), Sio (SR) have played. I think they're high on Person (JR), Whitner (JR), & Passmore (JR).
LB: Miller (SR), Bonhomme (SR), & Casey (SR)
DB: Mullen (SR) if he stays, which if he's feeling a CFP team is possible he might. Sanguinetti (JR) has already had some quality play. I know the coaches are high on Bonds (JR or RS-SO) too. I think by the time 2022 rolls around we'll have a couple more have a chance to play and surprise us.

Overall, there are a LOT of guys getting significant snaps now as young kids that will be upper classmen in 2022 and I think that bodes really well for the future because this is just what IU projects to have based on who's already on campus. Who knows if any of the freshmen in the next two recruiting classes will come in and be instant contributors or at least stars in the making (I'm thinking of Mullen's little brother for example, if he's anything like his older brothers).

I see you didn't include McFadden on your list. Isn't he a Junior who could leave for the Draft if he chose to do so?

I don't think 2022 will be a re-loading year. A lot of talent we've got to know will depart but there are already young guys getting PT that will be seniors that year.
2022 roster projections
QB: Penix & Tuttle will both be SRs if they both stay
RB: Baldwin (JR) Ellis (SR)
OL: Katic (JR) & Bedford (SR) have already started. There are others they like but we haven't seen.
TE: This one is a "?" because Hendershot & Bjorson have had this thing locked up for two years and will again next year.
WR: Hewitt (SR), Marshall (SR), Swinton (JR). These guys have already been clutch and productive as freshmen and sophomores.

DL: King (SR), Sio (SR) have played. I think they're high on Person (JR), Whitner (JR), & Passmore (JR).
LB: Miller (SR), Bonhomme (SR), & Casey (SR)
DB: Mullen (SR) if he stays, which if he's feeling a CFP team is possible he might. Sanguinetti (JR) has already had some quality play. I know the coaches are high on Bonds (JR or RS-SO) too. I think by the time 2022 rolls around we'll have a couple more have a chance to play and surprise us.

Overall, there are a LOT of guys getting significant snaps now as young kids that will be upper classmen in 2022 and I think that bodes really well for the future because this is just what IU projects to have based on who's already on campus. Who knows if any of the freshmen in the next two recruiting classes will come in and be instant contributors or at least stars in the making (I'm thinking of Mullen's little brother for example, if he's anything like his older brothers).

Good list. I do think Donaven McCulley will be in the QB mix early and often. I am not in any way saying he is the starter to begin the year or even at all but listening to CTA, he REALLY likes this kid so if we are looking towards 2022.....you almost have to include him in the conversation.

As for RB, what about Sampson James? He will be a Senior in 2022. Once Scott leaves, Sampson is going to be the lead bruising back. Ellis and Baldwin are more of the swift backs.

I agree about Mullen, I think he is long gone after next year and rightfully so. He may be a top 2 round pick if not first round pick after next season. Hopefully we get his younger brother and keep some stability there.

Reactions: TominDallas
Good list. I do think Donaven McCulley will be in the QB mix early and often. I am not in any way saying he is the starter to begin the year or even at all but listening to CTA, he REALLY likes this kid so if we are looking towards 2022.....you almost have to include him in the conversation.

As for RB, what about Sampson James? He will be a Senior in 2022. Once Scott leaves, Sampson is going to be the lead bruising back. Ellis and Baldwin are more of the swift backs.

I agree about Mullen, I think he is long gone after next year and rightfully so. He may be a top 2 round pick if not first round pick after next season. Hopefully we get his younger brother and keep some stability there.
I TOTALLY FORGOT ABOUT Sampson! Great catch.

Although Mullen will probably leave, I don't think it's a foregone conclusion. The NFL is very "measureables" driven in a lot of ways. The kid is outstanding and he hits like a guy twice his size (ask Mertz), but he's small. Luckily for him, his brother will be able to give him a LOT of inside information about the league and what they're looking for so he can make the best decision possible for his future.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT