ADVERTISEMENT

Who should be the Colts next QB?

Eppy99

All-American
Gold Member
Oct 27, 2001
Clearly the options are not great. Here's my rankings of who the Colts should sign to play QB.

1) Matt Ryan
2) Jimmy G
3)Mariotta
4)Winston
5) Foles
6) Baker
7) Jordan Love

Look Matt Ryan is 37 years old and wouln't be cheap, but he would stabalize the position for the short term. He doen't need to throw the ball 40 times anymore with a power running offense with JT. We just don't want him to make the bonehead plays Wentz was making. I think he would also be a huge step up in the leadership department and be well received in the lockeroom. I also think we would consinder drafting his replacement in the meantime and he wouldn't throw a fit given his age. I like Jimmy G, but he needs surgery and gets injured too much. Enough said. I would actually like to see Mariotta in a run first offense as an RPO QB. That could be fun, but can he make the big throws when needed? I don't trust Winston given his propensity to turn the ball over though he supposedly played much better with the Saints until his latest injury. I'm also not sure about character. Foles.....well he did spend time with Reich when they won the Superbowl. Baker, ugh. I'd be willing to give him a shot but he seems a bit soft and no ****ing way he geta an extension until he proves himself. Jordan Love would be a gamble at best.

Feel free to make your ranking and or discuss. Again the options are not great, but we've got to throw somoene out there! It's possible we may know about Ryan as early as today. He's due his 7.5 million bonus by 4:eek:opm. They could delay it again, but who knows. I doubt Atlanta will trade him to the QB needy Saints or Panthers so I think its a real possibility he becomes a Colt.

Reactions: hookyIU1990
That's a real murderers row.

It would have to be Jimmy G if the colts want to be run first.

Matt Ryan probably doesn't want to take a back seat to the run game, but he'd be #2 on my list.

I think everyone else would be a disaster for the Colts who will end up wasting their star RB. Could you imagine Winston throwing 4 picks or Mayfield constantly missing open guys in Indy? There would be major meltdowns.

I agree with @ce36ei . Ballard is in trouble, and if he isn't, he should be. No one at QB. No one to throw to. A defense that collapses in key games. Can't draft your way out of this one.

That's a real murderers row.

It would have to be Jimmy G if the colts want to be run first.

Matt Ryan probably doesn't want to take a back seat to the run game, but he'd be #2 on my list.

I think everyone else would be a disaster for the Colts who will end up wasting their star RB. Could you imagine Winston throwing 4 picks or Mayfield constantly missing open guys in Indy? There would be major meltdowns.

I agree with @ce36ei . Ballard is in trouble, and if he isn't, he should be. No one at QB. No one to throw to. A defense that collapses in key games. Can't draft your way out of this one.
And it's a shame because I think Ballard has an eye for talent. He just hasn't been able to solve the Andrew Luck retirment.

Reactions: All4You
Here are the teams that def need a QB:

Colts
Panthers
Seahawks
Saints

I'd add Atlanta but they have Ryan and also have the 8th pick in the draft so they could pick one then even though many pundits say it's not a good QB draft. Seattle has the 9th pick, so same story for them they could draft a qb, grab a FA or make a trade.

The Saints could bring back Winston. If Atlanta decides to part withh Ryan it's not likely they'll trade him to either the Panthers or Saints since it's the same division.

I think the Colts will probably have the pick of the liter turds between Jimmy G or Ryan. I think they have the leverage at this point.

giving up on Wentz so quick, then letting him go with no plan B already in place, was beyond bizarre to say the least.

and while Wentz was less than great, they were an injured FG kicker away from making the playoffs'

and newsflash, Wentz wasn't the only player that totally didn't show up against Jville that last game.

half the team didn't.

plus imo, the Colts receiving core was subpar, with Pittman the only playmaker.

and between Wentz missing all of preseason, getting hurt game one, playing game 2 when he wasn't close to healthy enough to, all makes one wonder about the really quick hook.

and though he hasn't lived up to it, it seems like Wentz does have an almost elite level ceiling, which a team with limited options shouldn't be so quick to give up on.

and while the Colts O line does do a great job in run blocking, they haven't lived up to their inflated PR in pass blocking in a couple yrs.

just beyond crazy to let him go as they did, absent the Colts knowing something i don't, like Luck is coming back next yr, which i give a 1 in 1,000 chance of.

did Wentz sleep with Irsay's daughter or something????

and not Garoppolo nor anyone else on the market do i consider an upgrade now, and none have Wentz's potential ceiling.

Last edited:
Reactions: VanPastorMan
giving up on Wentz so quick, then letting him go with no plan B already in place, was beyond bizarre to say the least.

and while Wentz was less than great, they were an injured FG kicker away from making the playoffs'

and newsflash, Wentz wasn't the only player that totally didn't show up against Jville that last game.

half the team didn't.

plus imo, the Colts receiving core was subpar, with Pittman the only playmaker.

and between Wentz missing all of preseason, getting hurt game one, playing game 2 when he wasn't close to healthy enough to, all makes one wonder about the really quick hook.

and though he hasn't lived up to it, it seems like Wentz does have an almost elite level ceiling, which a team with limited options shouldn't be so quick to give up on.

and while the Colts O line does do a great job in run blocking, they haven't lived up to their inflated PR in pass blocking in a couple yrs.

just beyond crazy to let him go as they did, absent the Colts knowing something i don't, like Luck is coming back next yr, which i give a 1 in 1,000 chance of.

did Wentz sleep with Irsay's daughter or something????

and not Garoppolo nor anyone else on the market do i consider an upgrade now, and none have Wentz's potential ceiling.
I don’t really like Wentz but you have some valid points. I’m just not sure we’ll ever see the 2017 version again. I think this was Irsay’s call and Ballard and Reich had their hands tied. Who knows though and we now have to make a new qb choice.

#Falcons are trading QB Matt Ryan to the #Colts for a 3rd round pick, according to
@PatMcAfeeShow

Being finalized now.

I can't say I've watched a Falcons games since the SB they blew. Does Ryan still have an arm and can he move at all in the pocket?

Just another band aid for the Colts.

Clearly the options are not great. Here's my rankings of who the Colts should sign to play QB.

1) Matt Ryan
2) Jimmy G
3)Mariotta
4)Winston
5) Foles
6) Baker
7) Jordan Love

Look Matt Ryan is 37 years old and wouln't be cheap, but he would stabalize the position for the short term. He doen't need to throw the ball 40 times anymore with a power running offense with JT. We just don't want him to make the bonehead plays Wentz was making. I think he would also be a huge step up in the leadership department and be well received in the lockeroom. I also think we would consinder drafting his replacement in the meantime and he wouldn't throw a fit given his age. I like Jimmy G, but he needs surgery and gets injured too much. Enough said. I would actually like to see Mariotta in a run first offense as an RPO QB. That could be fun, but can he make the big throws when needed? I don't trust Winston given his propensity to turn the ball over though he supposedly played much better with the Saints until his latest injury. I'm also not sure about character. Foles.....well he did spend time with Reich when they won the Superbowl. Baker, ugh. I'd be willing to give him a shot but he seems a bit soft and no ****ing way he geta an extension until he proves himself. Jordan Love would be a gamble at best.

Feel free to make your ranking and or discuss. Again the options are not great, but we've got to throw somoene out there! It's possible we may know about Ryan as early as today. He's due his 7.5 million bonus by 4:eek:opm. They could delay it again, but who knows. I doubt Atlanta will trade him to the QB needy Saints or Panthers so I think its a real possibility he becomes a Colt.
All of them are a 40 degree day.

I can't say I've watched a Falcons games since the SB they blew. Does Ryan still have an arm and can he move at all in the pocket?

Tied for 10th all-time with an INT% of only 2.1% Accurate and not prone to bonehead plays, other than taking a sack in a Super Bowl when in game-clinching FG range. Two years left on his contract and not crazy money. Age 37 by the time the season starts, so one does have to worry when the decline might come, as it does for all QBs not named Brady. Not a runner but not a statue either.

Tied for 10th all-time with an INT% of only 2.1% Accurate and not prone to bonehead plays, other than taking a sack in a Super Bowl when in game-clinching FG range. Two years left on his contract and not crazy money. Age 37 by the time the season starts, so one does have to worry when the decline might come, as it does for all QBs not named Brady. Not a runner but not a statue either.
So does he still an arm left and can he avoid sacks?

Probably another band-aid - at 37 I don't know how much longer he'll play - but I think this is a MUCH better choice than going with Baker Mayfield. That guy is good, but not great and would likely keep the Colts in limbo of just being good enough not to blow it all up for as long as he was there. I really believe his ceiling is occasionally making the playoffs when everything goes well and the team stays virtually injury free.

Probably another band-aid - at 37 I don't know how much longer he'll play - but I think this is a MUCH better choice than going with Baker Mayfield. That guy is good, but not great and would likely keep the Colts in limbo of just being good enough not to blow it all up for as long as he was there. I really believe his ceiling is occasionally making the playoffs when everything goes well and the team stays virtually injury free.
Yeah, that's kind of where I'm at too.

I'm not a Colts fan, but I do follow them so I can at least have an intelligent conversation (or fake one) with clients and co-workers who still paint their face blue and think the mascot is cool. I can't imagine a 37yo QB being able to survive behind that line if they're always playing from behind.

1) Matt Ryan
2) Jimmy G
3)Mariotta
4)Winston
5) Foles
6) Baker
7) Jordan Love

The Colts passed on better options like they did when they got Wentz. I wanted Baker and I heard he wanted to come to the Colts. Ryan is a upgrade from Wentz, but who wouldn't be? I was highly critical of getting Wentz. I don't hate the Ryan trade, but I don't love it.

Gives them two years to find a QB in teh first round that likely isn't a top 15 or so pick and maybe a year to have the QB on the bench behind a talented high level veteran.

And yeah, Wentz sucks balls. So this is a major upgrade.

The Colts passed on better options like they did when they got Wentz. I wanted Baker and I heard he wanted to come to the Colts. Ryan is a upgrade from Wentz, but who wouldn't be? I was highly critical of getting Wentz. I don't hate the Ryan trade, but I don't love it.
I honestly feel like the Colts dodged a bullet in not getting Baker Mayfield. The Browns dragged their feet on signing him to an extension and jumped at the chance to sign Watson. Mayfield is still under contract with them, so they could have started the season with him if they wanted/thought he was their future.

Supposedly he's going to sit out if the Browns don't trade or release him.

I honestly feel like the Colts dodged a bullet in not getting Baker Mayfield. The Browns dragged their feet on signing him to an extension and jumped at the chance to sign Watson. Mayfield is still under contract with them, so they could have started the season with him if they wanted/thought he was their future.

Supposedly he's going to sit out if the Browns don't trade or release him.
And nobody but Baker will care because he won’t get paid and the Browns would save 18 million. He’s kind of become a whiny bitch.

And nobody but Baker will care because he won’t get paid and the Browns would save 18 million. He’s kind of become a whiny bitch.
Two different tales.

Ryan deferred a bonus and basically said if you want me gone, I'll work with you. Then gets taken care of.

Mayfield immediately went to the "I demand a trade" card and got hosed.

Says everything you need to know about both. Agree with @Ohio Guy about the Colts dodging a bullet.

I've called him a douchier version of Andy Dalton for the last few years. He's the kind of guy who is talented enough to ride out status quo for a bit and win some games, but ultimately isn't going to get you over the hump.

But what if Watson gets suspended after all this. Baker just might see himself starting after all. He needs to just shut up now. It’s in his interest to play well for his 5th year option.

But what if Watson gets suspended after all this. Baker just might see himself starting after all. He needs to just shut up now. It’s in his interest to play well for his 5th year option.
Dan Patrick had Sean Salsbury on this morning and the general consensus was that Watson is going to get a suspension of some sort to start the season. They (NFL) were just waiting for the criminal cases to be pursued or dropped, so now they're clear to levy whatever punishment they come up with.

I've called him a douchier version of Andy Dalton for the last few years. He's the kind of guy who is talented enough to ride out status quo for a bit and win some games, but ultimately isn't going to get you over the hump.

You have to admit his commercials are good though.

Watson will eventually sleep with a teammate's girlfriend or wife. It's what he does. That is a locker room killer.

Watson will eventually sleep with a teammate's girlfriend or wife. It's what he does. That is a locker room killer.
The fact that it's the Cleveland Browns shouldn't be underscored. If there is something to internally screw up their culture or team morale, that organization usually finds it. I agree that there are variables Watson brings to the table that could screw things up, but he could be a choir boy and they're still going to find a way to do something that will make people say, 'eh..it's the Browns, what do you expect?"

The fact that it's the Cleveland Browns shouldn't be underscored. If there is something to internally screw up their culture or team morale, that organization usually finds it. I agree that there are variables Watson brings to the table that could screw things up, but he could be a choir boy and they're still going to find a way to do something that will make people say, 'eh..it's the Browns, what do you expect?"
Can't even point and laugh at the Bengals anymore.

Can't even point and laugh at the Bengals anymore.
There is still time for the Bengals to implode, but for now they look like a legitimately solid Super Bowl contending NFL franchise committed to doing things the right way.

They have a tough schedule this year, but they should be as good as anyone they play, which is weird to say.

There is still time for the Bengals to implode, but for now they look like a legitimately solid Super Bowl contending NFL franchise committed to doing things the right way UNTIL MIKE BROWN HAS TO SPEND SOME MONEY.

They have a tough schedule this year, but they should be as good as anyone they play, which is weird to say.
Fixed it for you.

Gives them two years to find a QB in teh first round that likely isn't a top 15 or so pick and maybe a year to have the QB on the bench behind a talented high level veteran.

And yeah, Wentz sucks balls. So this is a major upgrade.

Wentz is as good or better than Ryan or Mayfield now, and has a much higher ceiling.

if he never hits that ceiling, he's still as good as Ryan or Mayfield.

and what Wentz lacks, accuracy consistency and pocket sense, he can still pick up, while neither Ryan nor Mayfield have Wentz's potential, and never will.

beyond bizarre move by the Colts, and i wonder if Reich and Ballard didn't try hard to coax Irsay down off the ledge, to no avail.

if/when Wentz blows up in Washington, this will look like the bonehead move of the yr.

Wentz is as good or better than Ryan or Mayfield now, and has a much higher ceiling.

and what Wentz lacks, accuracy consistency and pocket sense, he can still pick up, while neither Ryan nor Mayfield have Wentz's potential, and never will.

beyond bizarre move by the Colts, and i wonder if Reich and Ballard didn't try hard to coax Irsay down off the ledge, to no avail.
Who knows. Regardless, absent tanking next season the Colts weren't going to find their next franchise QB. And the team is good enough that the tanking would have been so obvious as to have caused an investigation. So, looks like another 3 years of almost! until we inevitably have to blow it up, suck and start over. The NFL is odd in that there is one position on the field which basically allows you to win a Super Bowl. The QB. And in the NFL there are only 10-15 QBs out of 32 who can actually win a Super Bowl. Which means every year 20 or so teams go into the season with no chance and the middle of the pack teams have no chance of getting a QB b/c of draft situation.

I think the NFL might need to figure this out. Or at least make it easier for teams to build out their roster without a solid QB (maybe cap salaries by position or role, I don't know).

if/when Wentz blows up in Washington, this will look like the bonehead move of the yr.
Wentz is a backup. Brissett was a better backup playing in a starting role. Neither could lead the team in a 4th quarter drive to win a game.

Wentz threw for under 150 yards in his last 2 games and under 130 yards against Jacksonville.

Reich makes bad decisions. He must think he can turn any POS QB into an MVP. I can't wait for him to be gone

Reactions: outside shooter
Ballard screwed this up so badly it’s going to cost him his job in a year or 2.
Wait a minute, how has Ballard screwed this up? He got royally f****d when Luck walked out the door and he’s been trying to recover ever since.

What could he have done differently?

Swapping out Wentz for a far better quarterback in Ryan while actually GAINING a 3rd round pick was a master stroke from Ballard.

I think Ryan has more left in the tank than Rivers did, quite a bit more, and he will be successful provided Ballard upgrades his weapons somewhat.

Reactions: larsIU and All4You

Lol. Let’s revisit this next season, shall we. Wentz is gawd awful. He is just horrible.

I could never understand why Philly fans hated him so much until I watched him play.

Mark my words, no team will ever win anything with Wentz as the starter.

Reactions: outside shooter
The fact that Baker is still a Brown tells you all you need to know about what NFL teams think of him. Hell, Carolina ain’t interested and all they have is Sam Freaking Darnold.

Cleveland may end up having to just cut him.

Cleveland may end up having to just cut him.
They're going to need him to start the season if all the Watson suspension talk is true, plus a second grand jury in Texas could decide he's going to end up in a criminal trial after all.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT