ADVERTISEMENT

Who should be the Colts next QB?

I don't love it, but I don't hate it. I will say that 2 years of Matt Ryan @ 80% of what he has been is still better than 2 years of Carson Wentz @ 100% of what we saw from him to date. Matt Ryan, by and large, could be counted on in the 4th quarter in his career (Super Bowl meltdown notwithstanding, but that was a team effort) while Wentz has been more of a 4th quarter bed shitter. We got rid of a bad move quickly, recouped a little draft capital, got a starting caliber QB in the twilight of his career and worst case we end up fair to middlin' next season and get a shot at a QB of the future in a QB heavy 2023 draft.

I don't love it, but I don't hate it. I will say that 2 years of Matt Ryan @ 80% of what he has been is still better than 2 years of Carson Wentz @ 100% of what we saw from him to date. Matt Ryan, by and large, could be counted on in the 4th quarter in his career (Super Bowl meltdown notwithstanding, but that was a team effort) while Wentz has been more of a 4th quarter bed shitter. We got rid of a bad move quickly, recouped a little draft capital, got a starting caliber QB in the twilight of his career and worst case we end up fair to middlin' next season and get a shot at a QB of the future in a QB heavy 2023 draft.
I think Matt Ryan in Franks offense will be a force to be reckoned with provided they upgrade at receiver across from Pittman and they upgrade at tight end. Oh, and find a decent left tackle.

Frank got a near career year out of the corpse of Philip Rivers. He and Ryan have even more potential.

Who knows. Regardless, absent tanking next season the Colts weren't going to find their next franchise QB. And the team is good enough that the tanking would have been so obvious as to have caused an investigation. So, looks like another 3 years of almost! until we inevitably have to blow it up, suck and start over. The NFL is odd in that there is one position on the field which basically allows you to win a Super Bowl. The QB. And in the NFL there are only 10-15 QBs out of 32 who can actually win a Super Bowl. Which means every year 20 or so teams go into the season with no chance and the middle of the pack teams have no chance of getting a QB b/c of draft situation.

I think the NFL might need to figure this out. Or at least make it easier for teams to build out their roster without a solid QB (maybe cap salaries by position or role, I don't know).
Try being a Bears fan for the past 3+ decades.

Reactions: BigMobe
They're going to need him to start the season if all the Watson suspension talk is true, plus a second grand jury in Texas could decide he's going to end up in a criminal trial after all.
I’ll be my left nut Mayfield isn’t on the Browns roster opening day next season. That would be beyond toxic.

I’ll be my left nut Mayfield isn’t on the Browns roster opening day next season. That would be beyond toxic.
I agree if you're saying last season was toxic and this season would be beyond that. I know they're shopping him, but nobody's buying. Puts him in bust territory if they cut him.

I agree if you're saying last season was toxic and this season would be beyond that. I know they're shopping him, but nobody's buying. Puts him in bust territory if they cut him.
Having the previous seasons starter back up the new starter seems like a bad idea. Especially when that guy is a turd like Mayfield.

Reactions: hookyIU1990
Ryan is washed. Ballard screwed up majorly on the Wentz trade. But I’ll give him credit, he somehow fleeced Washington and got Ryan for peanuts.

Ryan is washed. Ballard screwed up majorly on the Wentz trade. But I’ll give him credit, he somehow fleeced Washington and got Ryan for peanuts.
He did screw up the Wentz experiment, although to be fair, that was on Franks recommendation.

But he didn’t hesitate to rectify his mistake, which is what you want. You don’t want a guy whose ego won’t let him admit a mistake. Think Bill Polian/Curtis Painter.

He did well to get Ryan.

Reactions: hookyIU1990

there's a reason Wash paid more to get Wentz, and the Colts less for Ryan.

Wentz has a much much higher ceiling than Ryan, and is considerably younger.

• Haha
Reactions: outside shooter
there's a reason Wash paid more to get Wentz, and the Colts less for Ryan.

Wentz has a much much higher ceiling than Ryan, and is considerably younger.
Ryan is objectively better than Wentz. Even at his age.

Ryan threw for more yards and a higher completion percentage than Wentz last year at 36 years old with Cordarrelle Patterson as his running back and his only decent receiver missing most of the season.

Ryans ceiling is league MVP. Wentz’s ceiling is about what we got last year.

Reactions: outside shooter
Y'all happy with Matt Ryan after 1 preseason game?

The sports talk guys are happy to have something new to talk about after the Falcons' win at Detroit on Friday. General consensus is that Mariota and Ridder are exciting enough for Falcons fans to get over Ryan's departure fairly quickly.

If y'all are happy with Ryan and he has a good to great year, then I think everybody will be happy with the trade. It's OK if everybody wins.

Reactions: Ohio Guy

The sports talk guys are happy to have something new to talk about after the Falcons' win at Detroit on Friday. General consensus is that Mariota and Ridder are exciting enough for Falcons fans to get over Ryan's departure fairly quickly.

If y'all are happy with Ryan and he has a good to great year, then I think everybody will be happy with the trade. It's OK if everybody wins.
Does he have anyone outside of Pitman to throw the ball to?

Does he have anyone outside of Pitman to throw the ball to?
We used to ask the same question about Tony Gonzalez . . . then Julio Jones . . . and then Calvin Ridley. He does have his favorites . . . and can get tunnel visioned a bit . . . .

Last edited:

I am still looking for a reason to like Reich. I'm not sure it matters who the QB is. If Reich is calling the plays, they will need the defense to score in the 4th quarter. The offense curls into the fetal position in the last quarter.

Reactions: evvcabinetman
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT