ADVERTISEMENT

Who are we looking at from Monteverde again?

I’d think this season and especially last night might help them know we can showcase athletes. Reneau seems pretty content too. Think he will make a huge jump next year and we need him to.
I can see Reneau coming back next year being a lot stronger, transforming his body to BIG 10 play.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
I can see Reneau coming back next year being a lot stronger, transforming his body to BIG 10 play.
Malik is plenty big/strong enough right now as it is. That isn't his issue right now. Playing without fouling is his main issue. And that's most likely him adjusting to the speed of the game.

His other obvious issue is he's playing behind one of the best big men in the country, and a solid 5th year senior.

He'll be a focal point for us next year, and will be a damn good big man for us.

Malik is plenty big/strong enough right now as it is. That isn't his issue right now. Playing without fouling is his main issue. And that's most likely him adjusting to the speed of the game.

His other obvious issue is he's playing behind one of the best big men in the country, and a solid 5th year senior.

He'll be a focal point for us next year, and will be a damn good big man for us.
Gunn and banks are ready for 30 min a game

Not worried about next season

Gunn and banks are ready for 30 min a game

Not worried about next season
I know there are a ton of fans saying we need 3 starters as transfers next year or we will fall off a cliff but I do kinda feel like you. We need two of Banks/Gunn/Bates/Geronimo to step up. Certainly not out of the question at all and I have loved what I have seen from Banks/Gunn as freshmen. I think Reneau will be a stud and Galloway continues his upward trajectory. I think we will likely still “need” probably 1 starter level transfer.

I also don’t want 2 bigs either unless at least one is a true modern 4. I think Reneau eats up 30 mpg at center and Duncomb the other 10 if he is here. I would be happy to see Geronimo/Banks be our rotation at the 4 if nobody else comes in.

I know there are a ton of fans saying we need 3 starters as transfers next year or we will fall off a cliff but I do kinda feel like you. We need two of Banks/Gunn/Bates/Geronimo to step up. Certainly not out of the question at all and I have loved what I have seen from Banks/Gunn as freshmen. I think Reneau will be a stud and Galloway continues his upward trajectory. I think we will likely still “need” probably 1 starter level transfer.

I also don’t want 2 bigs either unless at least one is a true modern 4. I think Reneau eats up 30 mpg at center and Duncomb the other 10 if he is here. I would be happy to see Geronimo/Banks be our rotation at the 4 if nobody else comes in.
Need back up bigs. 4 is probably fine with Malik, Jordan and Banks if needed Need at least one true five two would be better. Malik will expand his game and play both 4 n 5.

Reactions: kkott

Here's what we know for sure.

Players that will be gone: TJD, Race, Miller

Players coming in: Cupps and Newton

Here's what is very, very likely: Xavier gone

So going off that, we currently have a roster of:

Ball handlers: Cupps, Galloway

Wings: Geronimo, Bates, Banks, Gunn, Newton, Leal

Bigs: Renaeu, Duncomb

No clue if there will be outward transfer activity or not? I wouldn't be surprised to see a couple kids leave. Who those would be, would further determine what our needs would be in transfer in activity, and spring freshman signees. If they all stayed...I think we need another ball reliable ball handler/ball defender, wing scoring/shooting, and at least 1 more big.

If we're bringing in 3-4 more guys, they may as well ALL be starter level quality.

Every season, freshman and sophomores or any class step into bigger roles with expanded min!

You are one of the biggest debbies

Don’t be dense
Hardly I am going based off experience and what I have seen in the past. Guys do not generally go from not playing to playing 35 plus minutes a game it is usually somewhere inbetween. I am realistic I am not going to sunshine pump just for the sake of it.

No clue if there will be outward transfer activity or not? I wouldn't be surprised to see a couple kids leave. Who those would be, would further determine what our needs would be in transfer in activity, and spring freshman signees. If they all stayed...I think we need another ball reliable ball handler/ball defender, wing scoring/shooting, and at least 1 more big.

If we're bringing in 3-4 more guys, they may as well ALL be starter level quality.
In this day and age with the loose transfer rules you can almost expect a couple of guys to leave each season. I have no idea who they will be but we will likely have about 4-5 open spots this spring imo.

Hardly I am going based off experience and what I have seen in the past. Guys do not generally go from not playing to playing 35 plus minutes a game it is usually somewhere inbetween. I am realistic I am not going to sunshine pump just for the sake of it.
Don't need Gunn to play 35 mpg next year nor will he.

Reactions: Victorbmyboy

Definitely need an experienced ball handler in the portal, I'd say that's core obligation #1.

Likely need a stretch 4 who can push Geronimo for time and possibly start right away.

Big man depth will be needed assuming Duncomb leaves

Need back up bigs. 4 is probably fine with Malik, Jordan and Banks if needed Need at least one true five two would be better. Malik will expand his game and play both 4 n 5.
I think Malik will work on shooting. His stroke looks pretty good.

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
Definitely need an experienced ball handler in the portal, I'd say that's core obligation #1.

Likely need a stretch 4 who can push Geronimo for time and possibly start right away.

Big man depth will be needed assuming Duncomb leaves
Ideally...

1 ball handler that's also an elite level perimeter defender (Cupps can handle the point offensively, its defense that will be the bigger question mark)

1 scoring, scoring oriented wing (lots of talent and potential returning for this role, Gunn, Bates, etc...it'd be huge to get a proven 15-20ppg game guy from a mid major or something though...they're everywhere! Get one Woody!)

1 long, versatile wing/big (again, we have a couple guys here in Geronimo and Banks, but adding here helps the depth both at the wing, and in the post)

1 big (If Duncomb ends up leaving, we're razor thin in the post. No other way around it, we need another big. Even if its a Durr type guy to just play 10-12 minutes behind Malik).

Ideally...

1 ball handler that's also an elite level perimeter defender (Cupps can handle the point offensively, its defense that will be the bigger question mark)

1 scoring, scoring oriented wing (lots of talent and potential returning for this role, Gunn, Bates, etc...it'd be huge to get a proven 15-20ppg game guy from a mid major or something though...they're everywhere! Get one Woody!)

1 long, versatile wing/big (again, we have a couple guys here in Geronimo and Banks, but adding here helps the depth both at the wing, and in the post)

1 big (If Duncomb ends up leaving, we're razor thin in the post. No other way around it, we need another big. Even if its a Durr type guy to just play 10-12 minutes behind Malik).
PG's should be lining up to come here I would think given the way Xavier Johnson ended the year last year and the progression of JHS throughout this year.

PG's should be lining up to come here I would think given the way Xavier Johnson ended the year last year and the progression of JHS throughout this year.
One would think, yes. I think we already have one coming that will be a high level B10 PG for 4 years. But it would be nice to get another veteran signed on, that we know will be able to defend at a high level.

If they do count it, 36 games = 30.5% & 37 games = 29.7%. If they don't count the Kansas game, 33 games = 30.3% and 34 games = 29.4%. So the question becomes, how does the NCAA handle rounding!
I think we only need to play 34 games for X to qualify for the medical redshirt. I can't find a date on this article, and it references 'her' instead of 'him', but it is talking about the NCAA Basketball medical redshirt rules...

To gain a medical redshirt, the athlete cannot compete in more than 30 percent of her team’s games within a season, not counting contests officially designated as scrimmages or exhibition games. When such computations are made, fractions are rounded up. For example, if a team plays 27 games, the exact 30 percent mark is 8.1. For the purposes of medical redshirt eligibility, therefore, the player may compete in nine games and still be eligible for a medical redshirt.

34 * .3 = 10.2 which rounds up to 11 games played allowable for X

I think we only need to play 34 games for X to qualify for the medical redshirt. I can't find a date on this article, and it references 'her' instead of 'him', but it is talking about the NCAA Basketball medical redshirt rules...

To gain a medical redshirt, the athlete cannot compete in more than 30 percent of her team’s games within a season, not counting contests officially designated as scrimmages or exhibition games. When such computations are made, fractions are rounded up. For example, if a team plays 27 games, the exact 30 percent mark is 8.1. For the purposes of medical redshirt eligibility, therefore, the player may compete in nine games and still be eligible for a medical redshirt.

34 * .3 = 10.2 which rounds up to 11 games played allowable for X
Nice detective work, hope you're right. I know many will disagree , but IMO, X & IU would be better off if he can redshirt & comeback for a full season next year. The chemistry is already in place, my concern if he comes back this year that will be disruptive? Plus, look what happened when Coach Knight brought Scott May back for the KY NCAA game, even Coach Knight admitted he brought him back too soon.

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
There's a slight chance JHS may stay one more year. He had a game for the ages against Purdue but in the past he sometimes follows up a big game with a bad shooting night. If he plays lights out the rest of the season he is gone.

Nice detective work, hope you're right. I know many will disagree , but IMO, X & IU would be better off if he can redshirt & comeback for a full season next year. The chemistry is already in place, my concern if he comes back this year that will be disruptive? Plus, look what happened when Coach Knight brought Scott May back for the KY NCAA game, even Coach Knight admitted he brought him back too soon.
In that era the coach had more of the final word on whether a hurt player was ok to play. Now the medical/training staff has to release the player and they don't make those decisions based on how much the player is "needed" (in theory at least).

In that era the coach had more of the final word on whether a hurt player was ok to play. Now the medical/training staff has to release the player and they don't make those decisions based on how much the player is "needed" (in theory at least).
As a former hs coach & parent of an injured player I understand how it works. I was just pointing it out as an example what could happen. . Even if he is medically released there's no guarantee that he's going to be 100% medically or in top condition.

Original post was 30 min and asking for starters right away.

Banks and Gunn can do that.

But now you want the discussion to be about playing 35 min and players with no experience.

Your experience predicted IU to lose by dbl digits to Purdue. My experience predicted IU to win by 5

Do better

Ideally...

I don’t see Logan leaving but I could be wrong

There are too many variables for me to know what the right decision is.

Will he be healthy enough to be effective at any point this season?
Would he consider returning next year, or is he ready to move on?
Is JHS leaving or staying for another year?
Who do we get, Good X or Bad X?

I'm guessing we roll him out there at some point in the post season.

I don’t see Logan leaving but I could be wrong
To be fair, you also see Tamar never being good and Gunn and banks surpassing him while starting and playing 30 mins a game. I can’t wait for what you see next year!

To be fair, you also see Tamar never being good and Gunn and banks surpassing him while starting and playing 30 mins a game. I can’t wait for what you see next year!
Never? I see Tamar as a 4 year player, as I’ve said since last year. I could see Tamar looking elsewhere for a bigger role after talking with Woodson. Tamar is a great teammate, hasn’t shown anything to suggest he’s a high caliber big ten player. I do see Gunn surpassing Bates over the summer. It’s more about Gunn and being from LN and Indy then Bates at this point for me.

Gunn and Banks CAN play 30 min a game, not saying they will. But based on what I’ve seen, it’s not out of question

Next season since you asked will be vastly different in most aspects, a faster team with a higher Bball IQ. Shooting will be improved, defense might take a step back

Just my opinion

I’ve been wrong before, that flat earth shit had me for a bit lol

Reactions: Icefan
He’s big enough and already has a B1G type body. He just needs for his game to mature by working on his skills. He can be an all-B1G type player if he puts the work in.

Reactions: ericrossiu
If you don't have a minimum of 3 legit bigs who can rebound and defend you're not competing for a B1G title. Four would be preferred. Hopefully a couple of them can also score. And they can't all be 6'8 or less.

To be fair, all summer you said how great Tamar would be after putting in the work.

I have no doubt he works hard. But until he shows something resembling ball handling and consistent shooting, color me as skeptical.

Not saying Gunn will be better than Tamar, but it would not shock me. It's not exactly a high bar.

• Love
Reactions: Lucy01
Never? I see Tamar as a 4 year player, as I’ve said since last year. I could see Tamar looking elsewhere for a bigger role after talking with Woodson. Tamar is a great teammate, hasn’t shown anything to suggest he’s a high caliber big ten player. I do see Gunn surpassing Bates over the summer. It’s more about Gunn and being from LN and Indy then Bates at this point for me.

Gunn and Banks CAN play 30 min a game, not saying they will. But based on what I’ve seen, it’s not out of question

Next season since you asked will be vastly different in most aspects, a faster team with a higher Bball IQ. Shooting will be improved, defense might take a step back

Just my opinion

I’ve been wrong before, that flat earth shit had me for a bit lol
If the World was round, How does the water stay in the Oceans?

Reactions: Crayfish57
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT