ADVERTISEMENT

Where are YOU playing golf over Memorial Day?

Cornell's graduation is Sunday and less than two weeks ago they shifted it to in-person, for two guests. So I will be in the air flying back on Memorial Day.

I don't think I have ever totally missed watching the 500, but I might have to, with graduation at noon Sunday.

I’ll be working my way from north to south.

Friday - Erin Hills

Saturday - Thunderhawk in Zion, IL

Sunday - Dubsdread (Cog Hill is looking a little shabbier in recent years but still$
Saturday is Sidewinder at Gold Canyon Golf Resort in the Superstition Mountain area. Monday is Longbow Golf Club in Mesa, AZ, a terrific desert course. Sunday is open right now, but I might be picking up a round at Troon North in Scottsdale.

Reactions: Spartans9312

Friday - Erin Hills

Sunday - Dubsdread (Cog Hill is looking a little shabbier in recent years but still$
I plan to play Otter Creek like usual.

Friday - Erin Hills

I'm playing Colonial CC Sunday afternoon... from the air conditioned comfort of my couch no less! I expect nothing but fairways and greens with a sub-par score and no bad slices, hooks or WTF putts!

Last edited:
I’ll actually be enjoying my weekend, unlike those of you old dudes playing golf. Probably go for some hikes, drink a few beers, and relax. Hell the Padres will probably be on, which is a bonus around here, assuming you’re not a Dodgers fan.

Reactions: kkott and sdhoosier
Hazel Landing. Would love to get down to Idlewild or Mt. Airy but that will probably have to wait until later this summer.

Rustic Gardens. How much do you reckon a bridge hobo will charge me to carry my cooler of PBR and putter?

Cocktail weenies?

tenor.gif

Reactions: mcmurtry66
Just had a bunch more rain today. Looks like the course will be closed Sunday. Hope the course is open Monday.

I tried to play Eagle Creek today. Front 9 took 2.5 hours because the jerks in front of us wouldn't let anyone play through. The dudes they paired me with kept walking through my line and hitting out of turn and walking in front of me before I could hit.

I eventually just quit and walked to my car. I'm starting to think golf is a lost cause for me. I can't deal with all the idiots. My temper is too short these days.

Reactions: kkott
I tried to play Eagle Creek today. Front 9 took 2.5 hours because the jerks in front of us wouldn't let anyone play through. The dudes they paired me with kept walking through my line and hitting out of turn and walking in front of me before I could hit.

I eventually just quit and walked to my car. I'm starting to think golf is a lost cause for me. I can't deal with all the idiots. My temper is too short these days.
Relax. Head to Illinois and relax.

Weed makes me more anxious, unfortunately.

I mean, it's not like I yelled at anyone, there's just a point where inconsiderate jagoffs make it no fun for me, and I'm running into a lot of them lately.
Find your own foursome so you don’t have to play with random jags.

Find your own foursome so you don’t have to play with random jags.
I'm married, but my wife doesn't play. I run a small business, so I have no coworkers. College buddies all have kids and lives. Only child, so no brothers or sisters. Dad died 2 years ago. Mom is usually busy.

If I only played when I had a friend to join me, I'd only play about twice a year.

I'm married, but my wife doesn't play. I run a small business, so I have no coworkers. College buddies all have kids and lives. Only child, so no brothers or sisters. Dad died 2 years ago. Mom is usually busy.

If I only played when I had a friend to join me, I'd only play about twice a year.
Sounds like you most of all, could use a diversion. Golf's generally not that hard to cobble together a group to play regularly. If you want to keep playing, better do that, as getting matched up will only lead to more frustration probably. How much are the virtual systems that you could set up at home or in the garage? I'd rather hit the range regularly and go play by myself on some late afternoons than just keep getting matched up with others if I was any good.

Weed makes me more anxious, unfortunately.

I mean, it's not like I yelled at anyone, there's just a point where inconsiderate jagoffs make it no fun for me, and I'm running into a lot of them lately.

i know a guy in C-bus you should partner with.

on a side note, Eagle Creek was once a nice course before they ruined it.

Sounds like you most of all, could use a diversion. Golf's generally not that hard to cobble together a group to play regularly. If you want to keep playing, better do that, as getting matched up will only lead to more frustration probably. How much are the virtual systems that you could set up at home or in the garage? I'd rather hit the range regularly and go play by myself on some late afternoons than just keep getting matched up with others if I was any good.
The virtual systems vary from a few hundred to several thousand, depending on what you are into...but I don't have a ceiling high enough to safely swing a club in my house or garage.

Oh, and there was almost a fight fight between a fat white dad and a straight up ripped Asian dude on the range. That was interesting.

I often play the old course.
In the cold months when few are playing, and on days when there's a 10:00 or 11:00 outing when they're not letting riders out because they need all the carts for the outing.

i know a guy in C-bus you should partner with.

At this point I'd play with McNutt, I don't care. Can't be worse than Monday. Afterward I could try to sell him some magazines and he can threaten to snap me in two.

Out of curiosity, how do you think they ruined it?

Can't be worse than Monday.
When was your tee time, and which course?
It was Memorial Day, what did you expect?
If the group in front of you let you through, how long until you caught the rest of the pack?
You gonna play through multiple times through the round?

When was your tee time, and which course?
It was Memorial Day, what did you expect?
If the group in front of you let you through, how long until you caught the rest of the pack?
You gonna play through multiple times through the round?
2 PM, sycamore.

I expect people to have basic etiquette. When I walked off, I was on 15 tee. I followed the path to my car, and there was no one else on the course.

Remember, it wasnt just them. The guys in my own group would walk out in front of me, etc. On 14 I had a 45 yard pitch, and one of them was up on the green lining up his 5 footer. Like he was in a huge hurry to make his triple bogey so he could get to the next tee and.....wait.

At this point I'd play with McNutt, I don't care. Can't be worse than Monday. Afterward I could try to sell him some magazines and he can threaten to snap me in two.

Out of curiosity, how do you think they ruined it?

originally when i played it, there was a 9 hole course and an 18 hole championship course.

the original champ course was very nice. (Pete Dye, even though i'm not his biggest fan).

then they made it even better when they put the mound behind original 3 green for a better visual, and pushed the top of the hill down some on 18, so it wasn't a blind tee shot anymore, and you could now see the bottom of the valley from the tee..

for some reason i'll never know, they at some point converted 1 and 10 to all bent grass fairways, but never the other 16 holes of the original champ course design.

then some morans decided to make the complex 36 holes instead of 27, even though they didn't have enough land to do so, so they stole land from the original champ course.

i only played it a couple times after that, as it was ruined for me.

can't recall all they did, but i know they blew up original #5, and ruined the back 9 as well, trying to squeeze more holes into the area than there was area for.

i'm speaking only of the original champ course, as that's all i ever played.

what the current hole number designations are, i know not.

haven't played it in years, as i quit going there after they ruined it.

any changes in the last 10 yrs i wouldn't know of.

Last edited:
I expect people to have basic etiquette. When I walked off, I was on 15 tee. I followed the path to my car, and there was no one else on the course.
Yeah, that's BS, they should have let you through. The rangers don't do much other than hunting balls.

Remember, it wasnt just them. The guys in my own group would walk out in front of me, etc. On 14 I had a 45 yard pitch, and one of them was up on the green lining up his 5 footer. Like he was in a huge hurry to make his triple bogey so he could get to the next tee and.....wait.
It's a roll of the dice when you pair up with unknowns.
A good story in that regard, at least I enjoyed it:
Several years ago, the Giants were in town for either a Sunday or Monday night game, Peyton vs Eli.
I was walking solo on a weekend afternoon, I caught a threesome on 8 or 9, and we joined up.
They were from Jersey, Giants fans, in town for the game.
I was having issues with a disc in my neck. Conrad, a physical therapist, gave me 2 or 3 moves to help with the discomfort that I occasionally still use to this day.
They were stoned, and asked me if I wanted to toke up in the parking lot at the turn.
I passed on the offer, but they must have had some good shit because one of them was so comatose by 14 that he headed to the car to sleep it off while I finished the round with the other two.
Good times.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT