ADVERTISEMENT

When will basketball scholarships become irrelevant?

82hoosier

All-American
Sep 7, 2001
If these NIL numbers are to be believed why does it matter how many scholarships are available?

Just go out there and find three guys that are willing to play for $1 million in NIL money with the caveat that they might have to write a check for their own tuition and books.

This system is so broken.

If these NIL numbers are to be believed why does it matter how many scholarships are available?

Just go out there and find three guys that are willing to play for $1 million in NIL money with the caveat that they might have to write a check for their own tuition and books.

I'd be willing to bet that most coaches or AD's can answer that, and certainly someone at UK can! I can see it being applicable in certain situations, but how many more than 13 players do you need? Still if a school has all their schollies committed (or has a reduction due to a penalty!) it would be a huge benefit to do what you are saying.

Use the 13 scholarships, then find a couple guys who are worth a few hundred grand in NIL and make them preferred walk ons.

According to google a college team can have 15 players on its roster. Maybe some players will get NIL money to transfer out!.

Another question - once the scholarship is irrelevant, why not just drop the education requirement all together? I couldn't tell you what one of the guys on the team is studying this year. Once upon a time they used to show that while they were shooting free throws. If half the roster is turning over every year, why require them to deal with classes?

Maybe the NIL can be changed to be 3 or 4 year deals to keep kids in a certain program.

Reactions: .Gerdis
According to google a college team can have 15 players on its roster. Maybe some players will get NIL money to transfer out!.
Still waiting for someone to answer what the advantage is to having more than 13 players? Like I said, I can see it in certain situations but just because you could finagle more than 13 players, do you really think that's necessary or an advantage? And, isn't it likely to piss off your scholarship players?

I haven't seen anything that would seem to prevent it, but I don't know details on how NIL or schollies/rosters work. I still think it's more hypothetical than necessary. We can't find any where near 13 players who can contribute. I think utltimately it would create more issues than it would solve.

Still waiting for someone to answer what the advantage is to having more than 13 players? Like I said, I can see it in certain situations but just because you could finagle more than 13 players, do you really think that's necessary or an advantage? And, isn't it likely to piss off your scholarship players?

I haven't seen anything that would seem to prevent it, but I don't know details on how NIL or schollies/rosters work. I still think it's more hypothetical than necessary. We can't find any where near 13 players who can contribute. I think utltimately it would create more issues than it would solve.
One advantage would be to maximize your chance of a player that is not a bust. Another advantage would be to keep players away from opponents.

Of course, as you said it could cause problems too.

Reactions: .Gerdis

Today

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT