ADVERTISEMENT

What's your All-Big Ten Team?

mushroomgod_1

All-American
Apr 9, 2012
Regardless of position....here's what I've got.......

1st Team:

--L. Garza.........Iowa
--D. Oturu.........MN
--J. Smith..........MD
--A. Cowen.......MD
--C. Winston.....MSU

PoY for me is Garza.......Smith's better defensively and almost as good efficiency-wise on O, but Garza's supporting cast isn't as good, plus Garza's more of a leader.....

2nd Team:

--X. Tillman.......MSU
--K. Cockburn...ILL
--T. Jackson-Davis IU
--K. Wesson......OSU
--L. Stevens......PSU

I think everyone but Wesson on the 2nd team would have a good argument for 1st team status...

3rd Team:

--D. Trice...........WIS
--Ayo Dosunmu..ILL
--J. Weiskamp...Iowa
--X. Simpson.....Mich
--I. Livers...........Mich

I know Livers missed some time, but I just think he's a little better than the other guys listed below, with the exception of M. Jones from PSU, who I think is very underrated, who has also been injured.

Hon. Mention:

--A. Feliz............ILL
--A. Wiggins.......MD
--J. Teske...........Mich
--M. Jones..........PSU
--M. Watkins.......PSU
--M. Carr.............MN
--C. Mack...........NEB
--T. Williams.......PUR
--R. Harper.........RUT
--A. Yeboah........RUT
--N. Revers.........WIS
--Micah Potter.....WIS

Justin Smith's been IU's 2nd best player, but he hasn't been as good as the guys listed just above........which shows why we're a .500 team.

Last edited:
As of today, I'd have:

- Luka Garza, Iowa
- Jalen Smith, Maryland
- Cassius Winston, Michigan State
- Anthony Cowan, Jr., Maryland
- Lamar Stevens, Penn State

I know what you & smitty are saying.

I grade Stevens down a little because he's not real efficient on O....looking at his shooting &s. The thing about him is his attitude/leadership...like Garza & Winston in that respect. So I can see it.....would you drop Cowan to 2nd team?

One thing I didn't say above........I think the # of really good players in the BT this year is the highest since the mid-'90s, when players first began leaving early en mass. My 2nd team this year looks like a 1st team in most years. What's really strange, given that, is how few really, really good teams there are in the BT.....it's like almost every team has 1-3....nobody has 4-5.

I grade Stevens down a little because he's not real efficient on O....looking at his shooting &s. The thing about him is his attitude/leadership...like Garza & Winston in that respect. So I can see it.....would you drop Cowan to 2nd team?

One thing I didn't say above........I think the # of really good players in the BT this year is the highest since the mid-'90s, when players first began leaving early en mass. My 2nd team this year looks like a 1st team in most years. What's really strange, given that, is how few really, really good teams there are in the BT.....it's like almost every team has 1-3....nobody has 4-5.
Stevens is averaging 18 and 7. What you mean by not very efficient? He is PSU best player and they are having a great year.

Regardless of position....here's what I've got.......

1st Team:

--L. Garza.........Iowa
--D. Oturu.........MN
--J. Smith..........MD
--A. Cowen.......MD
--C. Winston.....MSU

PoY for me is Garza.......Smith's better defensively and almost as good efficiency-wise on O, but Garza's supporting cast isn't as good, plus Garza's more of a leader.....

2nd Team:

--X. Tillman.......MSU
--K. Cockburn...ILL
--T. Jackson-Davis IU
--K. Wesson......OSU
--L. Stevens......PSU

I think everyone but Wesson on the 2nd team would have a good argument for 1st team status...

3rd Team:

--D. Trice...........WIS
--Ayo Dosunmu..ILL
--J. Weiskamp...Iowa
--X. Simpson.....Mich
--I. Livers...........Mich

I know Livers missed some time, but I just think he's a little better than the other guys listed below, with the exception of M. Jones from PSU, who I think is very underrated, who has also been injured.

Hon. Mention:

--A. Feliz............ILL
--A. Wiggins.......MD
--J. Teske...........Mich
--M. Jones..........PSU
--M. Watkins.......PSU
--M. Carr.............MN
--C. Mack...........NEB
--T. Williams.......PUR
--R. Harper.........RUT
--A. Yeboah........RUT
--N. Revers.........WIS

Justin Smith's been IU's 2nd best player, but he hasn't been as good as the guys listed just above........which shows why we're a .500 team.
Potter from Wisconsin is at least a third team selection. He’s made them much better since he started playing.

Stevens is a product of volume and touches.

Also Dickburn doesn't deserve 2nd or 3rd team. HM at best.

Potter from Wisconsin is at least a third team selection. He’s made them much better since he started playing.

His #s are out-of-sight for minutes played (23.8/14.4 per 40M), and he's extremely efficient on O, but he's only playing 17 minutes per game. It's an interesting case, because he certainly appears to be a better all-around player than Reuvers, but he's getting 7 minutes per game less time. It must be a team chemistry thing. I'll add him to the HM list.

The other ? about this.....why did he leave OSU? Or more to the point.....why didn't he see a future there?

Stevens is averaging 18 and 7. What you mean by not very efficient? He is PSU best player and they are having a great year.

His shooting %s in BT are .47 on 2s, .31 on 3s...and he only gets 2.3 assists per 40m played, so he's not a great passer.

I do think his leadership is very important to that team.

His #s are out-of-sight for minutes played (23.8/14.4 per 40M), and he's extremely efficient on O, but he's only playing 17 minutes per game. It's an interesting case, because he certainly appears to be a better all-around player than Reuvers, but he's getting 7 minutes per game less time. It must be a team chemistry thing. I'll add him to the HM list.

The other ? about this.....why did he leave OSU? Or more to the point.....why didn't he see a future there?
You’ll see his minutes come up down the stretch. He’s way too good to watch over half the game.

He is a scorer though
Yup.

fwiw - I think he's first team over Oturo, who has the far better efficiency numbers. The eye test says Oturo is a better defender, better athlete, better pro prospect but not a go to guy like Stevens is. That's the prime role on any team and carries more weight on a winning team.

Garza (POY)
Smith
Cowen
Stevens
Winston

I don't think anyone playing 17 minutes should be all conference .. his overall impact is less than a guy playing 30 with above average stats.

Plus there's the defensive end to consider, which is why he probably only plays 17.

Yup.

fwiw - I think he's first team over Oturo, who has the far better efficiency numbers. The eye test says Oturo is a better defender, better athlete, better pro prospect but not a go to guy like Stevens is. That's the prime role on any team and carries more weight on a winning team.

Garza (POY)
Smith
Cowen
Stevens
Winston
This is the first team in my opinion as well.

Chemistry

1st Team

Nojel Eastern - C
Nojel Eastern - PF
Nojel Eastern - SF
Nojel Eastern - G
Nojel Eastern - G

-Signed-
Nojel Eastern’s Mom

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT