ADVERTISEMENT

What's the latest on Elijah Malone?

phnxfan

Benchwarmer
Dec 6, 2008
I can't find anything about his recruitment beyond the one report that he was to visit IU. He's the NAIA Player of the Year, and Bevo Francis Award winner. Seems like he would be the perfect backup to Ballo. 6-foot-10 inch, big man, (never could find his weight, but, obviously, big, guessing maybe 250-260+). Of, course, that's if he's willing to be a backup, and not a starter. He's an Indiana native, born in LaGrange, Ind, and attending an Indiana small college, Grace College. He's visited Notre Dame, and, I believe, is visiting Colorado this weekend. Does anybody know if he's been to IU, or, if not, when he's scheduled to visit IU? He's not even listed in the 247Sports Transfer Portal. Seems like he would be a perfect fit to Indianas new roster, and a great addition.

I can't find anything about his recruitment beyond the one report that he was to visit IU. He's the NAIA Player of the Year, and Bevo Francis Award winner. Seems like he would be the perfect backup to Ballo. 6-foot-10 inch, big man, (never could find his weight, but, obviously, big, guessing maybe 250-260+). Of, course, that's if he's willing to be a backup, and not a starter. He's an Indiana native, born in LaGrange, Ind, and attending an Indiana small college, Grace College. He's visited Notre Dame, and, I believe, is visiting Colorado this weekend. Does anybody know if he's been to IU, or, if not, when he's scheduled to visit IU? He's not even listed in the 247Sports Transfer Portal. Seems like he would be a perfect fit to Indianas new roster, and a great addition.

265lbs and he visited a few days ago, according to an article.

He looks marginal, I assume is why he said that.

If we aren't a PU or ND fan we're supposed to want everybody regardless of ability? I think that's more a PU and ND fan point view. (It's INDIANA!)

It is conceivable Coach had a guy in for a visit without being sure yet if he'd even have a spot for him. He might, but he might not. Maybe 'he's not coming' means somebody even better.

Because he is cant jump he is overweight and we need a rim protector somebody that can block shots and run in transition. When was the last NAIA player that ever played for Indiana.
Best non-D1 player in the country, has 30 offers from Division 1 schools, averaged 17.3 points, 8.3 rebounds, 2.5 blocks, and 1.9 assists, per game, shot 63 percent from the floor, 37 percent on 3-pointers and 81 percent from the free throw line … graduates ranked No. 1 in career blocks (308), and you think he's not good enough to play at IU, because he "can't jump, and is overweight".? That's what Strength and Conditioning Trainers are for. I'll let this video speak for itself. Doesn't look "overweight" to me, at all. I think he would be the perfect backup for Ballo.

Last edited:
In that video I saw very little reason he had to show max effort getting off the floor. He's not the most fluid and smooth but he's rock solid getting his position. Be damn valuable finishing close games. His FT % and similar presence on the floor for last 4-5 minutes replacing Ballo sure neutralizes a 'Shaq Attack' D tactic. Bring him.

In that video I saw very little reason he had to show max effort getting off the floor. He's not the most fluid and smooth but he's rock solid getting his position. Be damn valuable finishing close games. His FT % and similar presence on the floor for last 4-5 minutes replacing Ballo sure neutralizes a 'Shaq Attack' D tactic. Bring him.
wasn't it called Hack-a-Shaq ?

I had thought he looked a bit slow.
But, he does look intelligent, athletic enough to get position and remembers to do it. (Which we don't seem to demand from our guys in the recent past.) Also good point on the free throws. I'm more pumped now than I was.

Because he is cant jump he is overweight and we need a rim protector somebody that can block shots and run in transition. When was the last NAIA player that ever played for Indiana.
Ha..wrong. He lost some weight before his senior year,and was dunking everything around the rim. He has enough athleticism to be a backup,and a stretch(37% on +100 attempts). Plus would be nice to have someone to bring in for Ballo late in games who still has some size.

Reactions: phnxfan and Gage Fu
Best non-D1 player in the country, has 30 offers from Division 1 schools, averaged 17.3 points, 8.3 rebounds, 2.5 blocks, and 1.9 assists, per game, shot 63 percent from the floor, 37 percent on 3-pointers and 81 percent from the free throw line … graduates ranked No. 1 in career blocks (308), and you think he's not good enough to play at IU, because he "can't jump, and is overweight".? That's what Strength and Conditioning Trainers are for. I'll let this video speak for itself. Doesn't look "overweight" to me, at all. I think he would be the perfect backup for Ballo.
I’m not saying Malone isn’t a good player as I’ve never even watched a highlight video of him. What I can say without watching anything on him, is that his numbers are against other NAIA/D3 players. Whatever his numbers are, they won’t directly translate once he starts going up against D1 players. In D1 he’ll be going against guys just as big, or bigger, and faster/more athletic. There’s also a chance he could come in and tear shit up, but his stats aren’t against D1 players.

I’m not saying Malone isn’t a good player as I’ve never even watched a highlight video of him. What I can say without watching anything on him, is that his numbers are against other NAIA/D3 players. Whatever his numbers are, they won’t directly translate once he starts going up against D1 players. In D1 he’ll be going against guys just as big, or bigger, and faster/more athletic. There’s also a chance he could come in and tear shit up, but his stats aren’t against D1 players.
Nobody wants him to come in and play 30 minutes a game. Ideally,he would be at 15-18 minutes a game,and provides size,and the ability to stretch the floor.

With all due respect, you really shouldn't even make a comment on, or about, him, without even ever seeing him play. You're basing your opinion on the fact he's a big man playing against smaller, less talented, players. Of course, there's no guarantee he's going to put up the same numbers against D1 competition, and he won't be expected to. You say he's overweight, and you've never even seen him. Ridiculous! All you have to do is view his videos and you can see he's got a well-conditioned body, he moves people to get his shot, he's got good foot movement, can dribble and drive, and can finish at the rim, has the jump hook, the 5' and 10' shot, and can move out and drill the 3 pointer. He's got all the tools to be a very effective backup to Ballo, and maybe, just maybe, even better, at times. Would be a great addition to the team, and I hope he choses to play his last year at IU, and reap the benefits of Woody's knowledge of what it takes to get to, and play at, the Pro level.

With all due respect, you really shouldn't even make a comment on, or about, him, without even ever seeing him play. You're basing your opinion on the fact he's a big man playing against smaller, less talented, players. Of course, there's no guarantee he's going to put up the same numbers against D1 competition, and he won't be expected to. You say he's overweight, and you've never even seen him. Ridiculous! All you have to do is view his videos and you can see he's got a well-conditioned body, he moves people to get his shot, he's got good foot movement, can dribble and drive, and can finish at the rim, has the jump hook, the 5' and 10' shot, and can move out and drill the 3 pointer. He's got all the tools to be a very effective backup to Ballo, and maybe, just maybe, even better, at times. Would be a great addition to the team, and I hope he choses to play his last year at IU, and reap the benefits of Woody's knowledge of what it takes to get to, and play at, the Pro level.
Again, you can put up all the stat numbers you can think of, nothing I said was wrong. All those numbers are against third and fourth tier players.

I also said he could come in and just tear shit up. Yeah, anything is possible. Maybe he’s been a D1 talent all along and just got lost in the shuffle.

With all due respect, the fact remains that all his numbers are against NAIA competition.

Things I didn’t say…
1) I never said he wasn’t a good player
2) I never said he was a bad player
3) I never said there’s no way he could contribute
4) I never said he wouldn’t be able to play against D1 talent

You never know I saw a few d3 and NAIA players tear up teams with multiple burger boys. Can you say Kentucky in this year's tournament and Michigan had a pretty good shooter player a couple years ago. Who knows if we decide to try and get him, and he commits he makes the team a little stronger 1 through 13.

Again, you can put up all the stat numbers you can think of, nothing I said was wrong. All those numbers are against third and fourth tier players.

I also said he could come in and just tear shit up. Yeah, anything is possible. Maybe he’s been a D1 talent all along and just got lost in the shuffle.

With all due respect, the fact remains that all his numbers are against NAIA competition.

Things I didn’t say…
Things I didn’t say…

I agree to all those. If Sparks averaged 14ppg for Ball State and comes to Indiana and is not very good then there is no way in hell I see this kid doing jack shit. I would rather take the Anderson from FGC and have a stretch 4.

• Haha
Reactions: HowaboutaFresca
Things I didn’t say…

I agree to all those. If Sparks averaged 14ppg for Ball State and comes to Indiana and is not very good then there is no way in hell I see this kid doing jack shit. I would rather take the Anderson from FGC and have a stretch 4.
I doubt Anderson is an option.
We need an additional BIG! We have one 5, one 4 and one (MM) who could play some at the 4. Ballo has not played a lot of min (24-25 per game) and MR is constantly in foul trouble. We need another player than can play the 4/5

Question: did Malone commit, or is he an option for us still? Wasn't he supposed to be visiting last weekend? Someone made some comment about "he'll always be part of the IU family!" and I wasn't sure if that was referencing Malone. Personally, I get the concerns about can an NAIA guy contribute, but I love the fact that he can shoot 3s and FTs and has B10 size. And, he's a backup, but he brings something different from Ballo with his shooting, and I think that will translate, as will his size.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
Question: did Malone commit, or is he an option for us still? Wasn't he supposed to be visiting last weekend? Someone made some comment about "he'll always be part of the IU family!" and I wasn't sure if that was referencing Malone. Personally, I get the concerns about can an NAIA guy contribute, but I love the fact that he can shoot 3s and FTs and has B10 size. And, he's a backup, but he brings something different from Ballo with his shooting, and I think that will translate, as will his size.
I don’t think he has committed anywhere. It does appear that he is looking for more minutes than we can probably give him (10-20).

I don’t think he has committed anywhere. It does appear that he is looking for more minutes than we can probably give him (10-20).
I don't doubt it, but we actually have minutes to give in the frontcourt, and they could be pivotal for what is shaping up to be a pretty strong roster. I love him as a compliment to Ballo because he can shoot from 3 and FTs and still has good size. Makes him a very interesting and possibly valuable piece. Maybe a little PT + a little NIL + a little notierity from playing at a P5 school will entice him. Gotta be a pretty strong formula for a kid. Where's he likely to see more minutes or a much bigger/better role than that: ISU?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT