ADVERTISEMENT

What would you consider a successful season with this team?

elijawon

Junior
May 20, 2009
In reference to OOC, Conference Standings, BTT, and NCAAT results?

I want to look back at this in April to compare what we fans hoped for and what was achieved. Please be reasonable and no HATING! Haha jk.

NCAA is the floor for me.
OOC - Play like Indiana. No embarrassing loses
B1G - Play like Indiana. Top five (Hate to lower expectations but we've been so shitty it's an improvement)
BTT - No first round loss
NCAA - Show up and surprise someone. (Depending on draw sweet 16)
sounds like we're in general agreement......I hate winter, but starting to get itchy for bball season.

Some previous posters have already hit some good points.

Making the NCAA tourney is a must to be considered a successful season.
I would like to see the team and individual players make progress throughout the season. Have a good basketball IQ.

I would like for the team to avoid a lack of interest and compete/be engaged in every game. Compete as if someone said something about a loved one. Scrap, claw, be physical (not bush league), and represent Indiana University like it is a privilege to wear the cream and crimson.

Which doesn't really answer the question. I guess we can infer that simply making the NCAAT would be a success to you since it would be overachieving.

You'll have to excuse Farva...he's grumpy because he just came off an extended banning, his favorite politician is in free fall, and he and OS had a tiff over who is the bigger NFL fanboi. It was intense.

Last edited:
Reactions: mike41703
To change the current trend, top 6 max in the Big Ten, no bad losses in Big Ten tourney and win at least one game in tournament. If we miss the tourney again, it could be ugly and may cause us to miss out the top in-state 2021 guys.

Reactions: IUgradman
Solidly make the tournament.

That would mean we were a top 35 team and probably top 5 in the conference.

I obviously think we can do much better but there are too many question marks that need to be answered first (how does this new, more motion less spacing offense work that he talked about, the health of Davis and Hunter, the impact of the new guys).

Sounds like we are going to more of a motion, screening, cutting, sharing offense per his comments at Evansville compared to spacing the floor and getting drives/isos. He also said that Durham is his back up point and that Green was going to be given more opportunity to just focus on being a scorer.

Plus if Durham develops into the back up pg then he can bridge us to Lander behind Rob.

Talk like that gets me pumped for the season because it makes too much sense.

Reactions: .Gerdis
NCAA tournament or its a total bust. I believe CAM can get this done but the pressure is on this season for sure. Every program faces the chance of players leaving early or injuries so that cant be an excuse moving forward. CAM has been able to recruit well in his full two cycles so it time to produce on the court.

Making the NCAA Tournament would be a solid accomplishment.
NIT Final Four run to Madison Square Garden if IU misses the NCAA Tournament.

Last edited:
I expect we will miss the tournament again.
So missing the tournament would mean to you that we played to our potential. I won't expect you to be critical of the team if we meet your expectations.

I expect this team to make the NCAA tournament. We would have made it last year without our mid conference issues that hurt our win-loss record.

I believe the '20-'21 season sets up as a Sweet 16 or bust type of year. and even better the next year.

All comes down to the impact Mike Roberts makes on the team...he’ll either guide them there, or he wont.

9-9 in conference seems like a realistic record for this team ans about 18-19 wins unless they really surprise.

Reactions: ericrossiu
how does this new, more motion less spacing offense work

One of many variations of this.

If you remember RMK motion, he also ran "pairs" at times but with both players in a pair screening. I would also imagine that Miller would use his bigs more as scorers than Bennent does in his version.

One of the recruiting negatives he (TB) has is how he uses his bigs. All they do is screen and rebound.

Not saying were running the exact offense, just saying this is likely close. We already use elements of it. Everyone does...Example: the play with Phin coming off a flare screen early in sets. I know you remember seeing it .. we ran it all the time.

Miller may do many things differently. Bielien, Coach Pop, Brey, Bennett all do different things out of it ..

Last edited:
Above 0.500 in the conference. Make the tourney.

IU may struggle offensively this year. Cohesiveness, consistency, and tough defense will have to get the job done, but that probably means lots of close games.

Reactions: elijawon and ufo33
IU was close to being in the NCAAT last year except for the OSU game at AH...and maybe one or two in the meltdown. IMHO neither of those will happen this year. So I can't see how IU won't make the NCAAT this year. That is the floor.

IU will do better than just making the tourney. They will improve over the year. So...at least 6th in the B1G and 5th would be success...I believe that they could be 4th. Winning the first game in the NCAAT is a given. Not sure about the second game...win that and they are really something.

Remember, the NCAAT is about a team hitting their stride and playing great defense. If they have shooters, a leader and playmakers this could be the year for catching lightening in a bottle. When Archie has a talented mature team, they excel. But, maybe all that well jell in 20-21.

Win one in the dance. Maybe two.

And still, I'm not happy with just that. And don't get injured.

Reactions: elijawon and ufo33
IU was close to being in the NCAAT last year except for the OSU game at AH...and maybe one or two in the meltdown. IMHO neither of those will happen this year. So I can't see how IU won't make the NCAAT this year. That is the floor.

IU will do better than just making the tourney. They will improve over the year. So...at least 6th in the B1G and 5th would be success...I believe that they could be 4th. Winning the first game in the NCAAT is a given. Not sure about the second game...win that and they are really something.

Remember, the NCAAT is about a team hitting their stride and playing great defense. If they have shooters, a leader and playmakers this could be the year for catching lightening in a bottle. When Archie has a talented mature team, they excel. But, maybe all that well jell in 20-21.

Win one in the dance. Maybe two.

And still, I'm not happy with just that. And don't get injured.

There are different ways to make a prediction. One of them is to ask when was the last time IU lost all double-digit scorers and still made the tourney? On the plus side, the injuries last year were equally unusual and thus the record may spring back to something respectable this season.

Top six in the Conference..
Split with the Boilers.
I'd even take the dreaded 8/9 tournament draw.
Just make the NCAA Tournament .
That's all moteunm .

Reactions: ufo33
I think you have supplanted fpeaugh as the biggest dick on this board.

Congrats.
No reason to name call.

Mike Roberts was the only addition to make changes to the biggest weakness for the Hoosiers. He will either benefit the team, or he won’t.

I hope he does...past Hoosiers love him...he was praised by former and opposing staffs for his coaching...Im ready to see how he can upgrade the results of the past two seasons.

Thank you all for the responses. I would be happy with 20 wins, top 5 in the conference, a couple wins in the BTT, and beat UK in the second round to go to a Sweet 16 again. Cause everyone knows they are going to match IU and UK somehow.

In reference to OOC, Conference Standings, BTT, and NCAAT results?

I want to look back at this in April to compare what we fans hoped for and what was achieved. Please be reasonable and no HATING! Haha jk.
Beat the teams we should beat OOC and one good win. Minimize loses to bottom half B1G and pick off a few good wins. Win at least 1 B1G tourney game, and avoid popping the bubble. Close win to make it to 32 in NCAA tourney, but just making it is a step in the right direction.

Beat the teams we should beat OOC and one good win. Minimize loses to bottom half B1G and pick off a few good wins. Win at least 1 B1G tourney game, and avoid popping the bubble. Close win to make it to 32 in NCAA tourney, but just making it is a step in the right direction.
2da63ce1f36c8f4baad56a1326a6dd9b_400x400.jpeg

If you remember RMK motion, he also ran "pairs" at times but with both players in a pair screening. I would also imagine that Miller would use his bigs more as scorers than Bennent does in his version.

One of the recruiting negatives he (TB) has is how he uses his bigs. All they do is screen and rebound.

Not saying were running the exact offense, just saying this is likely close. We already use elements of it. Everyone does...Example: the play with Phin coming off a flair screen early in sets. I know you remember seeing it .. we ran it all the time.

Miller may do many things differently. Bielien, Coach Pop, Brey, Bennett all do different things out of it ..

Good post. I want to mention that UNCG ran something similar and they often used their pin down, aka blocker to simply slip the screen and take an ally loop from the PG. Last year IU did all the I slip screens up top or free throw line extended. It worked against Wisconsin when Romeo got to the rim for the final bucket.

I just don't like Indiana using bigs to set high ball screens to initiate the offense, especially if it results in a reversal right back to them. Starting with Mike Davis and George Leach, this high ball screen has rarely worked unless the screener rolls to the basket. But that is different. All the flare nonsense Archie ran last year results in big guys who can't shoot holding the ball way out there, and that is bad. Every scouting report makes it easy to just hedge the screen. IU's poor shot selection all year had a lot to do with this screen being run time and time again to no avail.

In the Bennett video, the high blocker is more effective because of the pair you mentioned, resulting in better movement and more options.

Not saying were running the exact offense, just saying this is likely close. We already use elements of it. Everyone does...Example: the play with Phin coming off a flair screen early in sets. I know you remember seeing it .. we ran it all the time.

I'd like to see the motion that his brother ran when they went what...32-4 and played Hollis-Jefferson at the 3 even though he shot around 20% from 3 like a certain 6'7" athletic wing we currently have.

My impression of the comment was one...he said 25 years ago everyone ran motion but today it can be an advantage since those numbers are much smaller than yesteryear. Also seemed like last year he wanted to space the floor to open up driving lanes for two certain players and that with the makeup of this year's team, in particular with our size...a motion/sharing offense is probably more effective.

Not going to lie...that gave me a tingle and it was nice to hear a coach explain why he wants to implement something that actually makes sense. Lol

No reason to name call.

Mike Roberts was the only addition to make changes to the biggest weakness for the Hoosiers. He will either benefit the team, or he won’t.

I hope he does...past Hoosiers love him...he was praised by former and opposing staffs for his coaching...Im ready to see how he can upgrade the results of the past two seasons.

Don't play stupid, either that or you are stupid.

First, your post had nothing to do with the title of the thread. Not a big deal, it happens all the time but....

It was just another excuse to rag on Archie by stating the absurd notion that the the third assistant would be the key to a successful season.

Lately, you have taken ANY opportunity to be this boards PITA. Thus, you are #1 or at worst 1A with fpeaugh and the "name calling".

Don't play stupid, either that or you are stupid.

First, your post had nothing to do with the title of the thread. Not a big deal, it happens all the time but....

It was just another excuse to rag on Archie by stating the absurd notion that the the third assistant would be the key to a successful season.

Lately, you have taken ANY opportunity to be this boards PITA. Thus, you are #1 or at worst 1A with fpeaugh and the "name calling".

He has every right to think this team is a dumpster fire. Archie has done nothing at IU to prove he is the right guy for the job. If he misses the tournament he will most likely be fired and the program will be dead in the water.

I tend to think this is the year he starts a nice little tradition of being relevant. But many many rational people would see this team as not relevant and IU as a dumpster fire. All you need to do is look at National projections for IU. I read Rutgers was projected higher than us by one site. I would have bet my life that would have never happened 4 years ago. Rutgers!!!!! For what it’s worth I think they will make the tourney this year or next.

Must make the dance. Anything less and we're new coach shopping soon. I think we make the dance and finish top 5 in B1G. Outside of MSU we're as talented as anyone.

Must make the dance. Anything less and we're new coach shopping soon. I think we make the dance and finish top 5 in B1G. Outside of MSU we're as talented as anyone.
I agree and that is why the pressure will be very high for Archie this season. I like when pressure is high, shows what you are made of. No excuse for this year.

Making the NCAAs should assumed. Anything less would be an utter failure, IMHO. Consider: last years team almost squeaked in despite losing 12-13 games. Those games were a few ticks better than forfeits in my mind. If last years team had a pulse during those 12 games, we easily win 2-3 more and make the tournament. I also feel the conference will be significantly weaker this year.

We should easily make the tourney.

Top 3-4 in the conference.
6 seed or better
Get to week 2 of the tourney

Other things:
Play like we have a chip on our shoulder with something to prove

Better movement and balance on offense

He has every right to think this team is a dumpster fire. Archie has done nothing at IU to prove he is the right guy for the job. If he misses the tournament he will most likely be fired and the program will be dead in the water.

I tend to think this is the year he starts a nice little tradition of being relevant. But many many rational people would see this team as not relevant and IU as a dumpster fire. All you need to do is look at National projections for IU. I read Rutgers was projected higher than us by one site. I would have bet my life that would have never happened 4 years ago. Rutgers!!!!! For what it’s worth I think they will make the tourney this year or next.
I agree that the last two years have been unsatisfactory and absolutely need corrective action. But I disagree that the "...team is a dumpster fire."

If one cannot see that the last two years IU had first a PG that wasn't B1G caliber and then RP, as a freshman was outclassed then hurt... And also people played out of position, without shooters and pathetic free throws. And to top it all off IU had no go to guys and lots of injuries... I just am at a loss of words for those posters.

Crean left a mess. Sampson's legacy was a dumpster fire. Now Archie Miller comes in and has to walk on water to not be a dumpster fire? Wrong...but it's an opinion.

This is a make or break year? You may say that. Just your opinion. Wrong again.

IU won't buy him out...not for at least a bunch of years. His contract implies that; Crean got too many years; and Glass will stick with CAM.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT