ADVERTISEMENT

What would Archie's record be without Morgan?

I keep hearing about how good of a coach Archie is, but I doubt I'd be hearing that praise if Morgan, a Tom Crean recruit, wasn't around to bail out his teams. Without Morgan, Archie's first two seasons would be among the worst we've ever seen at IU. No one can shoot, no one can hit a freethrow, and turnovers galore. IU would be an embarrassment and lucky to win any games without Morgan.
What kind of record would Greg Popovich had without Tim Duncan? Rick Pitino didn't last as long in the NBA because they didn't get Duncan. Coaches use what they have. Archie is doing it. In three years the entire team will be his players whom he recruited. We will see if he can keep it up or not.

My point is that without Morgan, a Tom Crean recruit, IU would be so awful in Archie's first two seasons that many people here would be extremely displeased and questioning whether we got the right man for the job.

I'm not sure we got the right guy. Next year Archie will be in his 3rd season, Morgan will be gone, and we'll finally see what Archie is made of. At this point, without Morgan, I'm leaning towards the belief that next year will not turn out so well.
Are you capable of enjoying life?

My point is that without Morgan, a Tom Crean recruit, IU would be so awful in Archie's first two seasons that many people here would be extremely displeased and questioning whether we got the right man for the job.

I'm not sure we got the right guy. Next year Archie will be in his 3rd season, Morgan will be gone, and we'll finally see what Archie is made of. At this point, without Morgan, I'm leaning towards the belief that next year will not turn out so well.
We know what you're trying to make your point out to be. We also know that you have no point to make.

I think FormerRevMatt is spot on . . . you're either a PUke or pUKe troll.

We've got the right guy. He's teaching these guys how to stay in the game, fight through being behind, take the lead, keep the other team from scoring when it counts the most, and then hit the shot needed to win. In other words, he's teaching this team how to win.

I'll take Archie over anybody else you want to propose, including Alford . . . who is likely on his way out at the end of this season if not in the middle of it after losing to Belmont today.

Reactions: largemouth
My point is that without Morgan, a Tom Crean recruit, IU would be so awful in Archie's first two seasons that many people here would be extremely displeased

Oladipo is a Crean recruit. Pacers might suck without him. But that isn't how it works.

I keep hearing about how good of a coach Archie is, but I doubt I'd be hearing that praise if Morgan, a Tom Crean recruit, wasn't around to bail out his teams. Without Morgan, Archie's first two seasons would be among the worst we've ever seen at IU. No one can shoot, no one can hit a freethrow, and turnovers galore. IU would be an embarrassment and lucky to win any games without Morgan.

You sound like me when I was rooting against Crean.

You're going to be pretty miserable the next 25 years.

It's okay Dan, you still have UCLA to watch....this year, maybe.

We know what you're trying to make your point out to be. We also know that you have no point to make.

I think FormerRevMatt is spot on . . . you're either a PUke or pUKe troll.

We've got the right guy. He's teaching these guys how to stay in the game, fight through being behind, take the lead, keep the other team from scoring when it counts the most, and then hit the shot needed to win. In other words, he's teaching this team how to win.

I'll take Archie over anybody else you want to propose, including Alford . . . who is likely on his way out at the end of this season if not in the middle of it after losing to Belmont today.
I looked it up. Belmont has four Indiana kids on their roster. They had a guy who would have been a Senior named Mack Mercer from Plymouth, but he had to quit because of health reasons. That would have been five Indiana kids on their roster. No wonder they can play.

What would Phil Jacksons record be without MJ?

Ever think that Morgan is as good as he has been last year and this due to CAM and the staff he has put together?

Congrats... this post is even more ridiculous than your initial post. That's some fine work!

This seems like a thread that is about 10 months to early. We'll find out. Smith will hopefully mature and clean up some of his TOs. It seems there are 5 stars on the way to replace Mordagn or at least one. I'm betting Archie comes out just fine. In the meantime, I'm going to enjoy Morgan's play and Archie coaching him. I wonder if Juwan's exceptional offense in the paint would have been exposed if Archie was not here.

Reactions: IUgradman
images

Just watched Crean's UGA team blow a late lead to lose to Arizona State. UGA had the ball with 9.5 seconds to go, one point behind. And UGA threw the ball into no-man's land, only to have it stolen by ASU [on edit]: and this was immediately after a time out taken by Crean.

The difference between who Morgan and other players were under Crean and who Morgan is under Archie . . . it's the difference between having the guts to win a game they could lose under Archie and not having enough guts to win under Crean . . .

. . . under Crean if winning was easy IU would win. If winning was hard, IU didn't. To quote Stephen Stills: "We never failed to fail . . . it was the easiest thing to do."

UGA is averaging 17 turnovers a game, and had 18 tonight . . . just enough to give the game away.

Last edited:
tenor.gif

Just watched Crean's UGA team blow a late lead to lose to Arizona State. UGA had the ball with 9.5 seconds to go, one point behind. And UGA threw the ball into no-man's land, only to have it stolen by ASU.

The difference between who Morgan and other players were under Crean and who Morgan is under Archie . . . it's the difference between having the guts to win a game they could lose under Archie and not having enough guts to win under Crean . . .

. . . under Crean if winning was easy IU would win. If winning was hard, IU didn't. To quote Stephen Stills: "We never failed to fail . . . it was the easiest thing to do."

UGA is averaging 17 turnovers a game, and had 18 tonight . . . just enough to give the game away.

Haha. I watched the second half too. Hilarious. Did you notice they switched defenses the possession where they lost the lead?

Wow, and this clown is questioning Archie? Lol.

Haha. I watched the second half too. Hilarious. Did you notice they switched defenses the possession where they lost the lead?

Wow, and this clown is questioning Archie? Lol.
Last summer a guy from church - who knew I was an IU grad/fan - asked me what to expect from Crean at UGA . . . I gave him the litany of what we'd gotten used to here, including lots of turnovers, outside-in defense emphasizing deflections and seeing easy baskets by the other team, and losing 85% of games that the team might have a 50-50 chance to win . . . he asked me if I'm this much fun at cocktail parties. I just said "you asked."

Guy's a Kansas grad, played baseball for them back in the 60s. He knows basketball well enough to recognize that I wasn't just jawing him, and now we're seeing it on UGA's court.

Reactions: mike41703

That’s why a good 2019 recruiting class is essential. Bringing in Franklin, TJD, Brooks, and a good grad transfer would certainly help offset the loss of Romeo and Morgan.

Probably the same as Knights if Alford wasn't on the team. What a sour grapes post. Thrilled you are so disappointed.

Reactions: SIhoosier26
That’s why a good 2019 recruiting class is essential. Bringing in Franklin, TJD, Brooks, and a good grad transfer would certainly help offset the loss of Romeo and Morgan.
Would Franklin, TJD, Brooks and a Watford redux be enough for you?

Last edited:
Watford isn’t coming here. Landing Brooks and a good grad transfer guard would be a great finish to the class.
You have information from inside the Watford camp?

Why would IU be on his list if he's not coming here? Negotiating leverage?

So what team do you root for?

Reactions: SIhoosier26

Eeyore: Christopher Robin, I’m leaning towards the belief that next year will not turn out so well.

Christopher Robin: don’t despair Eeyore, CAM is bringing in a couple of 5-star recruits and a quality 6-6 shooting guard.

Eeyore: but what if they leave after a year or two?

Pooh: Christopher Robin, could you please smack him in the head.

Morgan wasn't near the player he is now until Archie got to IU. Archie's teams actually know how to feed the post and he clearly knows how to develop a big man. Two things Crean was allergic to. This is without a doubt one of the dumbest, most incoherent posts I've ever read.

I don't know. OSU lost its best couple players and is playing just as well this season as last.
Yeah, they looked awesome squeaking by the mighty Bucknell at home. OSU has some serious flaws, too, just like every other team outside the Top 5. Even Michigan, who I expect to win the conference, looked vulnerable against NW. I would suspect that the same nitpicking we could do for IU, many other objective fans of other teams could do for theirs.

All you need to look at to see if Archie can coach is the defense the past 2 years compared to before. There has been constant improvement on the defensive end and one player can't guard 5 so someone else has to be doing something right. That's a testament to good coaching. On the offensive side, we are definitely stagnant and need to work on limiting turnovers; however, we still have one of the highest field goal percentages in the country and generate good looks and high percentage shots when we don't turn it over. Is the team anywhere close to its ceiling? I for sure hope not. But saying that Morgan is the only saving grace of this team discredits the work put in by every other player and the coaching staff the past couple years. Also, if you think Juwan would have been even close to this dominant in Tom Crean's run and gun system, you're just plain wrong.
Generally the defense yesterday, except for the last couple of minutes, was terrible. We couldn’t contain the drives by Baldwin or find their outside shooters. Yes, credit Butler for a smart attack, but we looked a step slow out there.
I still don’t know how we won this game. Butler dominated much of it. We do have great heart though and sometimes it’s better to be lucky than good. But I can’t wait to see this team do another coast-to-coast beatbdown of a good team like what was done to Marquette.

Reactions: IUgradman

IU has won its last FOUR games played by 3 or fewer points. IU has held all of these opponents to 68 or fewer points, well below each team's scoring average. IU trailed in all of these games with less than 5 minutes to play. IU trailed NW with 4:03 to play when an injured Morgan left that game for good. The discipline displayed by IU is a direct result of coaching and players buying in to that coaching. How many of these do we win with Crean? Archie Miller is a helluva coach. He is also a great recruiter of pieces needed by a program to consistently win, year in and year out. The future is bright...

One more thing: RMK didn't recruit Steve Downing or John Ritter either, and we still give RMK credit for taking IU to the Final Four in 1973.

Last edited:
Reactions: herrli
What a dumb post you made.

Reactions: mike41703
Someone's looking for a permanent Chief of Staff.
By coincidence, I've recently been promoted to the equivalent position where I work. I think I'll keep that job for now - better job security and the pay is good enough.

What if DOG spelled CAT? That would be so bizarre...but not as bizarre as your stupid post.

Well, with that logic, give Coach credit for improving Morgan’s skills that allow him to “bail out” the team.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT