ADVERTISEMENT

What wings or guards are left for IU

My guess is we’ll land 1 more kid from the lists we’ve been seeing for a couple weeks. And 1-2 that we haven’t thought of or considered yet.

I haven’t seen many commit yet so I assume they are all still on the table.

Agree but after the C from Oregon comitt, I thought we might then have 2-3 real quick commits
Maybe. I think everyone is different. I trust Woody to bring in some depth on the wing. I don’t think it’s imperative that we land Ledlum or Knecht. I certainly don’t think it’s imperative we land both. I love X and Galloway as two starters and think there is at least an outside chance someone like Banks/Gunn/Newton come in ready next year.

I am sure we will land at least one though.

I trust him. I hope he can get a couple guys and Ware to sign and get to campus so everyone can gel together. So glad coaches know the roster was bad last season

Seems like most of IUs guard/wing transfer targets may be heading elsewhere. Ledlum and Knecht no longer seem probable. Sure hope Woody has a plan. IU guards and wings have been the main problem.
There's currently 966 scholarship players that had entered the transfer portal this year, and more entering every day. Of those ,only 18% have committed .. less than 1 of 5...

Why are you always so spazzy, squirrely, desperate and scared? This process will not end until June or even later for some teams. It's still April.

Relax and go make some t-shirts ..

Yep ..
I'm amazed that some fans think guys who barely saw the floor are ..Boom !
10 pt a game guy's..Let alone can they gaurd anybody. ?
I'd say it's imperative we get two more that can score..
Well 2 of the 3 have started many games and are proven so not really outside of the realm of possibility that we add one piece or one of Banks/Gunn/Newton prove to be capable.

Reactions: JIMSHAM and T.M.P.
Well 2 of the 3 have started many games and are proven so not really outside of the realm of possibility that we add one piece or one of Banks/Gunn/Newton prove to be capable.
Proven in what respect? Proven that they can't be counted on?!?

Gunn looked completely lost out there and is really lucky he wasn't asked to move on; Banks did appear to have some idea of what he was attempting to accomplish but wasn't able to get it done over his last few games; and Newton hasn't played a minute of college ball and is coming in off an injury...

I'll have whatever you're drinking...

Of those three the only one I have even a glimmer of hope of seeing any helpful minutes next Fall from is Banks and even then I'm not expecting any game changing numbers from him (hope I'm wrong). He did show flashes of potential but calling him "proven" seems quite the stretch...

Last edited:
If they really jump in ability, do we credit coaching? Or simple hard work and that is how good they were destined to be?

If they really jump in ability, do we credit coaching? Or simple hard work and that is how good they were destined to be?
Improvement is not “destined,” but rather a combination of many things including hard work and coaching.

I am not there every day to determine the level and quality of coaching. But I have seen enough improvement on this team and from players to feel good about what Coach Woodson is doing.

Proven in what respect? Proven that they can't be counted on?!?

Gunn looked completely lost out there and is really lucky he wasn't asked to move on; Banks did appear to have some idea of what he was attempting to accomplish but wasn't able to get it done over his last few games; and Newton hasn't played a minute of college ball and is coming in off an injury...

I'll have whatever you're drinking...

Of those three the only one I have even a glimmer of hope of seeing any helpful minutes next Fall from is Banks and even then I'm not expecting any game changing numbers from him (hope I'm wrong). He did show flashes of potential but calling him "proven" seems quite the stretch...
Well the 2 I was referring to as proven are X and Galloway. Proven starters who can play. Not really sure how you misunderstood me.

Then I followed up by saying it is not outside of the realm of possibility that one of Gunn/Banks/Newton proves themselves next year. Hell 2 years ago, a large part of this board was saying Galloway didn’t belong in a major conference. 2 years ago there was a distinct possibility TJD wouldn’t be drafted. 5 years ago Race couldn’t get on the court. Player’s develop literally every year. I think it’s possible one of those three steps up.

I am not there every day to determine the level and quality of coaching. But I have seen enough improvement on this team and from players to feel good about what Coach Woodson is doing.
We had a stretch where we were playing 7 guys and that’s it. I worry a bit why Gunn and Banks couldn’t see the floor and why Bates didn’t improve.

We had a stretch where we were playing 7 guys and that’s it. I worry a bit why Gunn and Banks couldn’t see the floor and why Bates didn’t improve.
Yeah I hear you. I am not saying there is zero reason for concern. I just don’t think we have to land another 2 starter level players or bust.

Reactions: TomEric4756
I think it’s possible that these transfers are taking one look at Banks and realizing that they are not guaranteed to start.
No Banks averaged 5 minutes a game and 2 points a game I doubt they are very worried about him. We have not seen a large enough sample size to know yep if he will make an impact or not.

I think it’s possible that these transfers are taking one look at Banks and realizing that they are not guaranteed to start.
I think what may be happened is social media made it seem like we were in way better shape with these guys than we were. Many made it seem like Ledlum was a done deal and we were in good shape withe Dalton K. But all we ever had with Dalton was a zoom vistit which so did probably 20 other teams.

There's currently 966 scholarship players that had entered the transfer portal this year, and more entering every day. Of those ,only 18% have committed .. less than 1 of 5...

Why are you always so spazzy, squirrely, desperate and scared? This process will not end until June or even later for some teams. It's still April.

Not only that, the portal doesn’t close for players until May 11, so IU might eventually sign someone who is not even in the portal yet. For those feeling a bit anxious, take heed of Aaron Rodgers.

• Love
Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
I think what may be happened is social media made it seem like we were in way better shape with these guys than we were. Many made it seem like Ledlum was a done deal and we were in good shape withe Dalton K. But all we ever had with Dalton was a zoom vistit which so did probably 20 other teams.
Regarding Dalton K., I did read somewhere that we had had "extensive zoom meetings"

I’m doubtful that’s true, but I hope it becomes true, because I think Banks has a lot of potential.
I kind of like him as well, but I ask again....is there any particular aspect of the game at which he is really skilled? Shooting? no Ball handling? no Finishing at the rim? no Rebounding? good, but not great Defense? works at it.

Banks showed a lot of energy and was very productive in his reserve time at the end of games in non-conference. He seemed over-matched quite often in BT play.

Jakai Newton is vastly underrated and I think will be ready to contribute right away. Gunn struggled, but he showed he can defend at this level and we know the scoring/shooting potential is there. I think we have more than enough on the roster if we don't get any of these transfers. Ware was the big one.

Reactions: TyWebbIU and Beorik

Portal seems to have much higher end potential than when they started recruiting thsoe players who originally entered. Add the Duke 7th ranked HS decommitment to that group.

I think we still need someone who can consistently be counted on to knock down the big shot when needed and routinely put up 20pts from the outside... I don't see that guy on our roster yet... We need to go get him from the Portal in my opinion... Preferably, two of the type I just outlined... If you can pair those skills with that of a point guard that's even better...

I think we still need someone who can consistently be counted on to knock down the big shot when needed and routinely put up 20pts from the outside... I don't see that guy on our roster yet... We need to go get him from the Portal in my opinion... Preferably, two of the type I just outlined... If you can pair those skills with that of a point guard that's even better...
20 pts per game is a big ask for what is out there. I would take a above 35% 3 pt shooter with height and athleticism. 10 to 15 pts a game should be enough with MR and KW alongside X. If we can find a 20 pts a game scoring guard in the portal that can replicate that in the big ten great but that is going to be a tough ask.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT