ADVERTISEMENT

What to do about morally questionable foreign investment in sports?

• Thread starter anon_6hv78pr714xta
  • Start date
A

anon_6hv78pr714xta

We've seen it in soccer. We're seeing it in golf. Is there a partisan divide on this issue? Do people believe there should be laws limiting foreign companies or wealth funds from investing in sports in the U.S.?

I've never been more than a casual, one-to-two times a year golf watcher, but I'm turned off by the LIV stuff and Saudi involvement. I think if a Russian oligarch involved in bad things, or a Chinese investment fund tied to the Uyghur repression/genocide, or the Saudis bought the Cubs, I'd drop them as a team. But I'm not sure I'd outlaw it. (TikTok is a different issue, in my mind.) Is that irrational?

We've seen it in soccer. We're seeing it in golf. Is there a partisan divide on this issue? Do people believe there should be laws limiting foreign companies or wealth funds from investing in sports in the U.S.?

I've never been more than a casual, one-to-two times a year golf watcher, but I'm turned off by the LIV stuff and Saudi involvement. I think if a Russian oligarch involved in bad things, or a Chinese investment fund tied to the Uyghur repression/genocide, or the Saudis bought the Cubs, I'd drop them as a team. But I'm not sure I'd outlaw it. (TikTok is a different issue, in my mind.) Is that irrational?
Keep worrying about those Cubs. . . .

But hey, wouldn’t Judge and Trout in your outfield look awfully good after all those petrodollars were used?

I guess I wonder why the consternation about sports specifically?

The Saudis have large stakes in Amazon, Google, Visa, Microsoft, Disney, Nintendo, Uber, PayPal and Zoom.
I guess you could boycott all those companies by going up to northern Canada and living in a cabin alone with no devices. You’ll have to pay for your hunting gun with cash though, or use MasterCard or Amex.

People need to stop their bitchy ass hand wringing. Money talks.

The Saudis could/ should be a useful ally if we had a competent foreign policy.

Keep worrying about those Cubs. . . .

But hey, wouldn’t Judge and Trout in your outfield look awfully good after all those petrodollars were used?
It would be amazing, but no thanks. I'd settle for just getting Schwarber back.

The Saudis have large stakes in Amazon, Google, Visa, Microsoft, Disney, Nintendo, Uber, PayPal and Zoom.
I guess you could boycott all those companies by going up to northern Canada and living in a cabin alone with no devices. You’ll have to pay for your hunting gun with cash though, or use MasterCard or Amex.

Good question. I guess because my attachment to a sports team is emotional, not transactional like the companies you mention. (I buy gas that no doubt somehow originates in Saudi Arabia and it doesn't bother me.) I don't "cheer for" those companies.

But I want my sports teams "clean." I wouldn't want IU to hire Bill Self even now, for example.

Reactions: larsIU
Yeah, but the style with which he strikes out is really cool.
The last line here is all you need to know:

YearAgeTmLgSeriesOppRsltGPAABRH2B3BHRRBISBCSBBSOBAOBPSLGOPSTBGDPHBPSHSFIBBWPAcWPA
201522CHCNLNLWCPITW1331200130000.667.6671.6672.3335000000.253.3%
201522CHCNLNLDSSTLW412103500220023.500.5831.1001.68311000000.323.6%
201522CHCNLNLCSNYML416142200230025.143.250.571.821800000-0.01-0.2%
201623CHCNLNLDSSFGWDid not play in series
201623CHCNLNLCSLADWDid not play in series
201623CHCNLWSCLEW520172710021034.412.500.471.9718100000.148.3%

Good question. I guess because my attachment to a sports team is emotional, not transactional like the companies you mention. (I buy gas that no doubt somehow originates in Saudi Arabia and it doesn't bother me.) I don't "cheer for" those companies.

But I want my sports teams "clean." I wouldn't want IU to hire Bill Self even now, for example.

Sports are "fun". Killers buying their way in are not fun. It is different than Amazon.

It is why this forum exists, I decidedly do not want Biden or Trump mentioned in a basketball discussion.

Think of it this way, a lot of people athletes have very similar views to Colin Kaepernick. His mistake was injecting that into fun time.

Also not buying Amazon could be inconvenient. Not watching golf is very easy.

We're a forum based on the concept of following college sports. What moral high ground do we think we have to stand on?

• Love
Reactions: GiggityGoo

I have it in my head that there already is some foreign ownership of some NFL, NBA, or MLB teams. BICBW.

We're a forum based on the concept of following college sports. What moral high ground do we think we have to stand on?
Do you need a moral high ground to not want your team/sport to be funded or run by a murderous regime?

As a huge golf fan, I'm not thrilled whatsoever that the Saudis are now going to have major control over the sport globally.

I don't know how you can counteract what they are doing, however. I think the Tour came to that realization. Money is like water, and can't be stopped.

Every sports team has convicted and unconvicted felons on the roster. Drug users. Drunks. Spouse abusers. Child abusers. Thieves. As with politics, it’s all selective outrage.

Reactions: DANC
Every sports team has convicted and unconvicted felons on the roster. Drug users. Drunks. Spouse abusers. Child abusers. Thieves. As with politics, it’s all selective outrage.
Maybe that’s why I prefer youth sports at this point.

I read that three times. I still can’t figure out what happened.

Reactions: JamieDimonsBalls

No other country is as responsible for global terrorism in the past few decades. The Saudis are scum.

jeff-bridges-what.gif

• Haha
Brad, do you think the US doesn't do targeted assassinations?
Presently? I don't know.

I probably wouldn't want the U.S. govt. investing in my Cubbies, either, though.

DANC, I take it you don't like Putin. He's probably squirreled away billions. If he wanted to buy your favorite pro sports team, you wouldn't have a problem with it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Presently? I don't know.

I probably wouldn't want the U.S. govt. investing in my Cubbies, either, though.

DANC, I take it you don't like Putin. He's probably squirreled away billions. If he wanted to buy your favorite pro sports team, you wouldn't have a problem with it?
It depends - could he re-sign guys like Mookie Betts, Zander Bogaerts, and J.D. Martinez?

Reactions: Crayfish57
Presently? I don't know.

LOL. The thought of the federal government owning the Cubs is great. Get someone from the EPA to run it, spend four times more for washed-up players and finish 73 games out of first. Good times.

• Haha
Reactions: DANC
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT