ADVERTISEMENT

What the hell are schools supposed to do to stop the war in Gaza

These kids would celebrate 9/11 and Pearl Harbor. Woke Universities have destroyed this country.

Stop.

Some might, but that doesn't make thr statement that these protests are worse then 9/11 or Pearl Harbor.

😄

APD_IUSOAAD_HeatherAkou01_SQUARE.jpg

By Heather Akou

“Yesterday, I was arrested by the Indiana State Police and charged with a misdemeanor for “criminal trespass.” I was also issued a statement by the IU Police Department, telling me that I am banned from campus for one year.

I am 48 years old. This is my first time ever getting arrested. I now have fingerprints and a mugshot on file. I had just joined a protest in the designated ‘protest zone’ (Dunn Meadow) at Indiana University… an institution where I have been paid to work for 20 years. You can draw your own conclusions about the absurdity of the charge and the ban.

I went to the protest zone to stand up for my students and their First Amendment rights to free speech. There are many things I could tell you about the things they are saying and what I think about them, but I’m going to tell you what I think is most urgent right now.

I had only been at the protest for five minutes when the State Police arrived. I guess I was thinking about other things and didn’t notice the armored vehicles. I did notice the police helicopter, which my colleagues (h/t Jason Jackson) have determined was hovering around campus for more than two hours.
Another protestor (a young, unarmed student) asked if she could hold my hand. She was shaking and I squeezed her hand to reassure her. There were two snipers on the roof of the union building with their weapons pointed at us. Since the police had tear gas launchers, a student passed around a box of goggles and surgical masks.

For ten minutes, an officer with a bullhorn told us to “take down the tents” or face arrest. I told the officer in charge that I was a professor there to support my students… I did not have anything to do with the tents. He said, “I understand,” but did nothing to stop the process. Behind me, students started taking down the tents. I guess it wasn’t fast enough.

I don’t know exactly how many police officers were there. They formed at least three lines, so maybe 60? They definitely outnumbered the protestors. Most were heavily armored in black (police) or camouflage (military). They were carrying metal batons and riot shields. When they started advancing toward us, they marched slowly in formation. We locked our arms together and I said a prayer for mercy and compassion.
The last thing I was told before I was attacked was to “get back behind the tents.” I said, “Why?” We should all ask ourselves “why.” What difference would it have made? Is it dangerous to express myself in front of a tent, but OK if I’m behind it? I was completely calm (I’m good in emergencies) and did not resist… there was no point. I had a baton mashed into the side of my neck and I was bruised and scraped by a riot shield. I was pushed to the ground and they started screaming at me to stand up, but I couldn’t do anything in that chaos.
22 people were arrested. An IU bus took us to an IU facility for processing before we were transferred to the Monroe County jail. Every single protestor was a student, staff member, faculty member, or alumnus. Not outsiders. Not armed. Not dangerous. The only physical violence that happened yesterday was caused by the Indiana State Police and the people who invited them to campus. The students are using words and tents.
The encampment is peaceful. There is no smoking, no drinking… everyone is very focused on their reasons for being there. If you want to know their reasons (which I'm sure are varied), you will have to talk to them. I encourage you to go. I heard they were playing board games last night.

I am a little roughed up, but I am fine. I am more concerned about my students and my colleagues… anyone who has not been banned from campus yet. This situation needs to change before people are seriously injured or killed. Just don’t tell the students to be quiet. They are learning so much right now.
I have made this public. Please feel free to share.”
She directly defied orders to leave. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

Portland….
A buddy recently went to Portland for business. While on a walk downtown, he observed a lady taking a shit by a tree off the sidewalk.

How anyone can’t see this as a huge problem is beyond me. I went to Portland over 20 years ago and it was a fabulous place. How those who govern and live there have let it turn into the hell hole it currently is blows my mind.

A buddy recently went to Portland for business. While on a walk downtown, he observed a lady taking a shit by a tree off the sidewalk.

How anyone can’t see this as a huge problem is beyond me. I went to Portland over 20 years ago and it was a fabulous place. How those who govern and live there have let it turn into the hell hole it currently is blows my mind.
San Fran. Was my favorite city

Went there about 8 years ago and it was a really beautiful city but even then had a bad homelessness and vagrant problem.

Reactions: JamieDimonsBalls

Pretty common in blue cities.

San Fran. Was my favorite city
Hell...Indianapolis.

We used to sit on the patio outside Tastings at the Conrad just watching the scene. Clean downtown. Bunch of urban yuppies and hipsters milling about. Storefronts clean and functioning. Vibrant, cool downtown on the move.

Summer of Love destroyed it. Storefronts closed or vandalized. Smell of piss in the air. Every other human looking like a vagrant, dealer, or wanna be gang banger.

Finally coming back around now a bit. We'll see.

Hell...Indianapolis.

We used to sit on the patio outside Tastings at the Conrad just watching the scene. Clean downtown. Bunch of urban yuppies and hipsters milling about. Storefronts clean and functioning. Vibrant, cool downtown on the move.

Summer of Love destroyed it. Storefronts closed or vandalized. Smell of piss in the air. Every other human looking like a vagrant, dealer, or wanna be gang banger.

But January 6!!!

Hell...Indianapolis.

Agree, but things seem to be turning a bit. Still a lot of empty restaurant space. Washington Street hasn’t recovered. I think the redevelopment of Circle Center will ultimately be awesome, but that means all those street level restaurants aren’t coming back for years to come. Can’t think it’s great for the convention business. Lunch and dinner options are still way down.

That kid making monkey noises and gestures better start looking for an off campus house because I don’t think he is going to be long for that fraternity.

I remember posters on this board saying there was no threat to democracy at stake on Jan 6 because of our checks and balances (I agree with by the way) and now people are worried about Biden canceling our election.

Make it make sense.
Depends on how you view the chances of success.

Were we one VP away from it working or would another safeguard protected the election if Pence had been compromised?

It is pretty safe to assume Trump will choose a true believer as vp this time around and get trumpers in as many positions as possible to remove those checks and balances.

Personally I think anyone that requires checks and balances to save the democracy shouldn't be allowed in the white house

Amazing, there's a good reason they haven't gone public with who is behind it. Everyone knows but too much of a dem donor? The guy should have been under arrest the first time someone was set free on bail and commited murder, but that's what they get away with these days.
Tulsi knows. Skip to about the 6 minute mark.

Reactions: DDE-6-20-23
"Pryce Parker — an Ole Miss student who joined the counter protest — told WHBQ in regard to the pro-Palestinian protesters that "you can’t take over our campus like the campuses in the north. This is a southern campus. We believe in God and Jesus, and we don’t stand for that.”

Used to be a leftist anthem. Johnny Rotten was right...

Holiday in Cambodia
Song by Dead Kennedys

So, you've been to school for a year or two
And you know you've seen it all
In daddy's car, thinking you'll go far
Back east your type don't crawl
Playing ethnicky jazz to parade your snazz
On your five-grand stereo
Braggin' that you know how the n****** feel cold
And the slums got so much soul

It's time to taste what you most fear
Right Guard will not help you here
Brace yourself, my dear
Brace yourself, my dear
It's a holiday in Cambodia
It's tough, kid, but it's life
It's a holiday in Cambodia
Don't forget to pack a wife

You're a star-belly sneetch, you suck like a leech
You want everyone to act like you
Kiss ass while you bitch, so you can get rich
But your boss gets richer off you
Well, you'll work harder with a gun in your back
For a bowl of rice a day
Slave for soldiers 'til you starve
Then your head is skewered on a stake

Now you can go where people are one
Now you can go where they get things done
What you need, my son
What you need, my son
Is a holiday in Cambodia
Where people dress in black
Need a holiday in Cambodia
Where you'll kiss ass or crack
Pol Pot, Pol Pot
Pol Pot, Pol Pot
Pol Pot, Pol Pot
Pol Pot, Pol Pot
And it's a holiday in Cambodia
Where you'll do what you're told
A holiday in Cambodia
Where the slums got so much soul
Pol Pot

Reactions: DDE-6-20-23
A truck was circling graduation yesterday covered with large signs saying "genocide Joe has got to go" with a picture of Biden. After a while the police pulled it over and asked to search. The guy told the IDS he has a lot of police relatives and told the police OK. Nothing was found. He did drive down to do this from Michigan so he would be one of those outside agitators.

• Wow
Reactions: JamieDimonsBalls
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT