ADVERTISEMENT

What Indiana needs to do now…..

Status
Not open for further replies.

BayernFan

Hall of Famer
Sep 4, 2001
Tristan da cunha
IU needs to prioritise above everything else the raising of as much money as possible over the next few years to buy the players it needs to compete and win.

Whether by legal means or not, this has to be done. Don’t give me “the right way” nonsense. Every other program does it. If we get caught? Oh no!! IU might get the DP and not ever be able to have a competitive program!! Lol. In other words, what IU has now.

Do this like a pro rebuild…… get as far under the salary cap you can and then in year 3 or 4 or 5, enter the FA market with a vengeance.

And build the $$$ system to last down the road.

That has to be the priority. $$$ fixes everything.

And get a big name coach as well. I mean BIG. Like Colorado just did.

Quit Phuqqn around. Do things SEC style and get it done.

But wouldn’t a College President or for sure the AD need to make that a huge top priority? As I watch Dolson, I see a nice guy but I don’t see an innovator or a huge fundraiser. I see more of a manager who’s not going to kick the door down and massively shake things up to get IU competing with the big boys. You know the “it factor” when you see it. Dolson doesn’t have it and Allen doesn’t have it either in terms of a top flight, organized Coach. They are both “nice guys” but they don’t give off A-team vibes.

Reactions: kmathum and jsenleo
IU needs to prioritise above everything else the raising of as much money as possible over the next few years to buy the players it needs to compete and win.

Whether by legal means or not, this has to be done. Don’t give me “the right way” nonsense. Every other program does it. If we get caught? Oh no!! IU might get the DP and not ever be able to have a competitive program!! Lol. In other words, what IU has now.

Do this like a pro rebuild…… get as far under the salary cap you can and then in year 3 or 4 or 5, enter the FA market with a vengeance.

I believe in doing things the right way. It will take longer. Shortcuts are only a short-term fix.

Reactions: 76-1 and vesuvius13
The IU administration has zero interest in building a competitive football program.
It will never be anything more than something to do until basketball season starts
You know,that basketball program that has done nothing in going on 50 yesrs.

Indiana needs a football man as their AD and that ain't Scott Dolson. Get a guy in here who is a football man, can raise NIL $$$ behind the scenes, and has the proper vision moving forward.

We keep hearing how a new practice facility is much needed, what are Dolson's plans in that regard? When you're making close to 100 frigging million dollars per year from tv contracts, a new practice facility should be in the cards!!

Turn the football program into a winner. January bowl games are fun and tremendous exposure. With the enormous tv money streaming in, Dolson has assets at his disposal that other AD's never had.

Back to the premise of the thread.

We need to substantially increase our NIL resources in order to pay what is necessary to get better players.

We don't need to do this outside of the blurry lines that exist as the OP suggests, but we do need more.

H4G is the primary collective and they meke it pretty easy.

IU has a very large comparatively affluent alumni base

Get your wallets out.

Pay for play is legal now.

it’s a 2 step process.

1. raise money
2. pay the lady

Correct Scott never said that.
I recall him saying IU had already “kind of spent it in a way” when talking about the future increase in BTN money - whatever the hell that means.

That increase/new TV money starts in July. But … USC and UCLA are gonna be full payout members immediately, unlike Maryland, Nebraska and Rutgers, who had to wait up to 6 years for a full split. A Rutgers article claimed each school would get $70 million for 2023, going up to over $80 million annually by the end of 2030, when the deal expires again. And that was WITH UCLA and USC getting cuts.

It’s a lucrative mess. But I wish there was more transparency and info. IU is asking fans for more and more money, so they ought to tell us what’s up.

I recall him saying IU had already “kind of spent it in a way” when talking about the future increase in BTN money - whatever the hell that means.

That increase/new TV money starts in July. But … USC and UCLA are gonna be full payout members immediately, unlike Maryland, Nebraska and Rutgers, who had to wait up to 6 years for a full split. A Rutgers article claimed each school would get $70 million for 2023, going up to over $80 million annually by the end of 2030, when the deal expires again. And that was WITH UCLA and USC getting cuts.

It’s a lucrative mess. But I wish there was more transparency and info. IU is asking fans for more and more money, so they ought to tell us what’s up.
NIL money isn’t related to the Big Ten distribution to each of the member institutions.

NIL money isn’t related to the Big Ten distribution to each of the member institutions.
Disagree.

Its related to cost of tickets, Varsity Club donations, and “legal” NIL collective donations at a minimum - and, as I said, what IU asks for and what fans are willing to give to a school getting $70-80 million TV dollars.

And because the NCAA has done nothing, and there are no real rules, where schools are willing to collude with the NIL donors, TV money is even more directly related.

Disagree.

Its related to cost of tickets, Varsity Club donations, and “legal” NIL collective donations at a minimum - and, as I said, what IU asks for and what fans are willing to give to a school getting $70-80 million TV dollars.

And because the NCAA has done nothing, and there are no real rules, where schools are willing to collude with the NIL donors, TV money is even more directly related.
I do wonder what, if any, impact with be felt at the “official” donor level due to NIL. I think this will largely be the domain of whales and sharks, not minnows and baitfish, so the guy giving $500 to the Varsity Club won’t drive anything. But we’re swimming 🏊‍♂️ in waters where every other school has at least the alumni and donor horsepower that we do, and often will have much more. We stupidly delude ourselves to believe anything other than that but, if we want a sustainably successful program, we need to step it up significantly.

They won't have any trouble spending the BTN cash, covid put everyone in a bit of a pause and there are projects that have to be addressed let alone delayed maintenence and increasing costs for everything,.

NIL is a different animal although you are correct that they influence one another particularly for those fans with a "set" budget for support. If they spend $1,000 they now may split it between VC and H4G.

The challenge for IU in my view is getting the fan base energized around Football and NIL. The potential is there...our alumni base is among the largest and most affluent in the nation so the cash is there...but tapping it beyond an extremely well-funded MBB NIL combined with minimal FB, WBB and other sports is the challenge.

In round numbers, because I haven't looked it all up...

The Cringe Brothers promote to and attract the $50-$100 guy which can be a material cash flow. If they get 20K small budget fans to give $100 you can pay some atheletes in all sports. Their numbers are harder to pin down which I hate almost as much as the cringe level of Thing 1 and Thing 2.

H4G/Connect attracted a much smaller number of investors in 2022 raising just over $2MMish. Expect H4G/Connect to grow substantially this year as they take on corporate partners.

If the MBB NIL budget is $2-3MM depending on the starpower and a "next step" FB NIL budget is $4MM (big programs already there and beyond) You need $7MM/yr from the primary collectives and we aren't there yet.

And this is beyond VC donations which absolutely take a hit from this so you can see why the BTN cash is spent.

The cash is there and more, the collectives just need to tap into it without destroying VC and IUF. Changing behavior around FB is the toughest challenge for IU.

Sorry for the ramble.

They won't have any trouble spending the BTN cash, covid put everyone in a bit of a pause and there are projects that have to be addressed let alone delayed maintenence and increasing costs for everything,.

NIL is a different animal although you are correct that they influence one another particularly for those fans with a "set" budget for support. If they spend $1,000 they now may split it between VC and H4G.

The challenge for IU in my view is getting the fan base energized around Football and NIL. The potential is there...our alumni base is among the largest and most affluent in the nation so the cash is there...but tapping it beyond an extremely well-funded MBB NIL combined with minimal FB, WBB and other sports is the challenge.

In round numbers, because I haven't looked it all up...

The Cringe Brothers promote to and attract the $50-$100 guy which can be a material cash flow. If they get 20K small budget fans to give $100 you can pay some atheletes in all sports. Their numbers are harder to pin down which I hate almost as much as the cringe level of Thing 1 and Thing 2.

H4G/Connect attracted a much smaller number of investors in 2022 raising just over $2MMish. Expect H4G/Connect to grow substantially this year as they take on corporate partners.

If the MBB NIL budget is $2-3MM depending on the starpower and a "next step" FB NIL budget is $4MM (big programs already there and beyond) You need $7MM/yr from the primary collectives and we aren't there yet.

And this is beyond VC donations which absolutely take a hit from this so you can see why the BTN cash is spent.

The cash is there and more, the collectives just need to tap into it without destroying VC and IUF. Changing behavior around FB is the toughest challenge for IU.

Sorry for the ramble.
Yes, Football needs someone in the office to promote football and get donations for the NIL. We are seeing the better classes coming up this year JR & Soph so we will see how good our coaches are this season. If coaching is holding back football a change will be needed but I hope this season sees IU in a comeback to energize the program.

Still amazes me that when the million dollar match came out that we could only get @ 250 fans to donate anything - we need all hands on deck going forward to have any chance to be competitive in this new NIL world.

Still amazes me that when the million dollar match came out that we could only get @ 250 fans to donate anything - we need all hands on deck going forward to have any chance to be competitive in this new NIL world.
Tought to grow a FB mindset in a Basketball environment. Connect has a FB only component so that will help.

Reactions: vesuvius13
I am a former varsity club member but had to drop it years ago as a young family budget didn't have room. A later divorce didn't help.

Now, thanks to God, I have money for charities. But I'll be completely honest. A University which receives taxpayer funding, charges in-state students about $25K annually for tuition, books, room & board doesn't qualify as a charity in my mind; let alone an athletic department which receives $70 MM just in BTN money on top of the other revenue streams. NIL? No friggin' way I'll pony up for that.

I'll continue to go to games when I can and buy souvenirs, concessions, etc.; but I don't see "big time" colleges & college athletics as not-for-profit institutions. I love IU & IU athletics, but my charity donations will continue to go elsewhere.

I am a former varsity club member but had to drop it years ago as a young family budget didn't have room. A later divorce didn't help.

Now, thanks to God, I have money for charities. But I'll be completely honest. A University which receives taxpayer funding, charges in-state students about $25K annually for tuition, books, room & board doesn't qualify as a charity in my mind; let alone an athletic department which receives $70 MM just in BTN money on top of the other revenue streams. NIL? No friggin' way I'll pony up for that.

I'll continue to go to games when I can and buy souvenirs, concessions, etc.; but I don't see "big time" colleges & college athletics as not-for-profit institutions. I love IU & IU athletics, but my charity donations will continue to go elsewhere.
I understand your points and can find no fault with any of them. I agree with the TV money and wealthy alumni we shouldn't need to fund the NIL. Unfortunately, the AD and others aren't stepping up to help football out like we would like them to do.

mass insanity.

those who have been entrusted as the caretakers of college sports have done a horrible job beyond belief, and lined their own pockets with gold while doing so.

they are flat ruining college sports which were never theirs to ruin, and which they had exactly zero to do with ever building in the first place, but rather just inherited the responsibility to oversee and maintain from the many generations who did build it, and who are no doubt turning over in their graves seeing what they built so grossly perverted.

that said, let's not forget that the universities now set on full monetization of anything and everything in their grasp that have made maxing revenues the prime directive of literally everything they do, and the decision maker of every decision made, are the very same institutions entrusted with providing higher education to our youth, and now are major, if not dominant, players in running our hospitals and healthcare systems.

why would we think the very same entities running our state higher education institutions, hospitals, and healthcare, are operating off a different script than their sports arm?????????????????????

absent being naive beyond belief, or just dumber than a box of rocks, we absolutely shouldn't.

instead of being total and complete imbiciles trying to figure out how we can out spend everyone else, including those with far more resources than ourselves, in something that was never meant to be bought, let alone slave to an endless bidding war, in the first place, we should all be totally outraged at what has gone down, and our focus should be on correcting what has been such a major part of our lives, for much of our lives, but has now gone so horribly horribly wrong.

Last edited:
Reactions: ESalum86

About 25-30 years ago I realized exactly what you are now realizing..... I have not and will never again, for any reason, give money to any university that receives tax payer funding... Schools that are allowed to hide behind the phony "not for profit" tag while at the same time using university owned subsidiary companies to contract head-to-head against privately owned businesses... Low balling jobs to get the work and all while expounding how of they're a "not-for-profit" and you're supporting our public institutions of "higher" education... If some people knew the gross dollars and profits some of these IU, Purdue, Ball State, ISU, etc. subsidiaries make for the schools they'd crap their pants....
The particular university owned printing business that I worked against on a couple of occasions made more money for the school than most small businesses could ever hope to make. Let the schools pay all athletes in every sport... they can afford it with ease... the total they'd spend paying every athlete at the school would still end up being nothing more than a "rounding error" on the annual spreadsheet. Giving to a charity, sure... but, if you look close enough you'll see our public universities are as far from a charity or not-for-profit as you can get.

I understand your point and what you do with your money is obviously your business but there seems to be serious confusion in this thread about NIL. The schools nor the coaches can put money in the collective for NIL. That is still a no per the NCAA. It draws a line for many, do I donate to the university or to the student athlete.

Reactions: vesuvius13
I understand your point and what you do with your money is obviously your business but there seems to be serious confusion in this thread about NIL. The schools nor the coaches can put money in the collective for NIL. That is still a no per the NCAA. It draws a line for many, do I donate to the university or to the student athlete.
The real NIL money will come from big pocket people, not small contributors. Our efforts here are hoop driven, and we threw a bone to the guy who was pushed out of a job he loved, so there’s that.

The real NIL money will come from big pocket people, not small contributors. Our efforts here are hoop driven, and we threw a bone to the guy who was pushed out of a job he loved, so there’s that.
If IU gets the big pockets to donate for football it will be great but so far they haven't done much so far.

Reactions: red hornet
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT