ADVERTISEMENT

What has happened to the Florida pipeline?

Hoosier009

Benchwarmer
Jun 11, 2012
Has it dried up? No commits from Florida this year to date. In my opinion most three stars from Florida are more on a level with a four star Indiana kid. This is what jump started Allen early on with his recruiting. Just curious what others might think.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Has it dried up? No commits from Florida this year to date. In my opinion most three stars from Florida are more on a level with a four star Indiana kid. This is what jump started Allen early on with his recruiting. Just curious what others might think.

Patience.

We have a couple kids coming in from Florida next weekend that we have real legit shots at getting in this class.

The "Florida pipeline" isn't dried up.

Everybody else shops in the same store as us, so the aisles are crowded. Obviously, Michael Penix and Micah McFadden were far and away our two best gets from FL, so we’ve had some quality from there. The results of the last two seasons are definitely impacting recruiting, but I know we’ll keep searching for guys down there.

Reactions: Hoosier009
Patience.

We have a couple kids coming in from Florida next weekend that we have real legit shots at getting in this class.

The "Florida pipeline" isn't dried up.
IU has coaches with recruiting experience in different areas of the country so the focus isn't only on Florida but other areas with great talent.

Everybody else shops in the same store as us, so the aisles are crowded. Obviously, Michael Penix and Micah McFadden were far and away our two best gets from FL, so we’ve had some quality from there. The results of the last two seasons are definitely impacting recruiting, but I know we’ll keep searching for guys down there.
I think Whop and Mullen were difference makers too.

Let's hope he is !!
Backed him for multiple yrs..
Hopefully his time is up...
With the benefit of hindsight:

Tom Allen came in as defensive coordinator and turn the defense around in one year. It was an outstanding accomplishment.

Meanwhile Kevin Wilson had put together a good bit of talent particularly on the offensive line and skill players.

Fred Glass fires Wilson for reasons unrelated to his game day coaching skills after the Purdue game. And then Fred Glass made one of the dumbest decisions in Big Ten college football history by walking down the hall and asking the defensive coordinator if he wanted to be the head coach. The only decision I can think of that was worse was Jerry Faust going from high school head football coach to Notre Dame head football coach.

Offensive coordinator coach DeBoer was able to hold the offense together for a couple of seasons and Tom Allen made his best recruiting decision bringing in Michael Penix.

And since then the wheels have fallen off. DeBoer is gone and is kicking ass at Washington with a rejuvenated Michael Penix. Tom Allen was the last person to figure out that Hiller was a terrible offensive line coach - even this board knew that he needed to be fired when Sheridan was fired and yet Allen did not pull the trigger until the middle of the next season.

And now we have Walt Bell as offensive coordinator, a man of few accomplishments. The quarterbacks have fled the program as have the running backs as well as some of the receivers.

So yes the Florida pipeline is dead. Tom Allen put together a couple of seasons that rivaled Bill Mallory's best seasons. Everything about the Hoosiers program seem to be going in the right direction and everybody loved everybody else.And now after six seasons this is completely Tom Allen's program, coaches and players. And it rivals the worst programs in Big 10 and the recruiting it is at the bottom of the conference.

So, can Tom Allen capture lightning in a bottle twice? Can he make a silk purse out of a sow's ear? Can he do what no one has done since Lee Marvin put together the Dirty Dozen?

If he can they should make him Coach of the Year again. If not the university needs to scramble to find an extra $20 million
And let somebody other than a lawyer or a basketball team manager put the program back on the right track.

Tom Allen came in as defensive coordinator and turn the defense around in one year. It was an outstanding accomplishment.

Meanwhile Kevin Wilson had put together a good bit of talent particularly on the offensive line and skill players.

Fred Glass fires Wilson for reasons unrelated to his game day coaching skills after the Purdue game. And then Fred Glass made one of the dumbest decisions in Big Ten college football history by walking down the hall and asking the defensive coordinator if he wanted to be the head coach. The only decision I can think of that was worse was Jerry Faust going from high school head football coach to Notre Dame head football coach.

Offensive coordinator coach DeBoer was able to hold the offense together for a couple of seasons and Tom Allen made his best recruiting decision bringing in Michael Penix.

And since then the wheels have fallen off. DeBoer is gone and is kicking ass at Washington with a rejuvenated Michael Penix. Tom Allen was the last person to figure out that Hiller was a terrible offensive line coach - even this board knew that he needed to be fired when Sheridan was fired and yet Allen did not pull the trigger until the middle of the next season.

And now we have Walt Bell as offensive coordinator, a man of few accomplishments. The quarterbacks have fled the program as have the running backs as well as some of the receivers.

So yes the Florida pipeline is dead. Tom Allen put together a couple of seasons that rivaled Bill Mallory's best seasons. Everything about the Hoosiers program seem to be going in the right direction and everybody loved everybody else.And now after six seasons this is completely Tom Allen's program, coaches and players. And it rivals the worst programs in Big 10 and the recruiting it is at the bottom of the conference.

So, can Tom Allen capture lightning in a bottle twice? Can he make a silk purse out of a sow's ear? Can he do what no one has done since Lee Marvin put together the Dirty Dozen?

If he can they should make him Coach of the Year again. If not the university needs to scramble to find an extra $20 million
And let somebody other than a lawyer or a basketball team manager put the program back on the right track.
It was DeBord at OC the first 2 years and brought in Penix. He retired after back to back 5-7 seasons featuring an offense keenly suited to throw the ball 1 yard short of the sticks every third down.

Deboer was here 1 year to beat PU and win 8 games before going to Washington. Did a masterful job managing the QB room, getting the most out of Peyton Ramsey.

Then CTA promotes some kid who never called plays before as new OC to win 6 games in a shortened Covid season. Ramsey transfer to Northwestern and wins 10 games.

The following year, said kid playing at being OC was terrible and we won 2 games despite having a pretty darn good defense with Micah. He was fired after his 2nd year. Penix transfers to Washington to play for Deboer, and crushes it. We, however, are left with no viable QBs.

Then Bell was hired, decided to be a poor man's Jeff Brohm, and throw the ball every 3.2 seconds and Punt in record breaking time. With very little guidance or directive from CTA

In 2023.... Where will the offense trend?

Hopefully, coach Bell will run the offense with a measured time between plays and call a good game. I hope he isn't afraid to change QBs if the starter isn't getting the job done. That doesn't mean he would be benched forever just enough to see if someone else can do a better job in the game [especially with two close competitors for the job]. We have a very good OL coach, very good RBs, and receivers so coach Bell has a lot of options to go with. I expect a much better offense this year as every other year I worried about the OL coach.

Hopefully, coach Bell will run the offense with a measured time between plays and call a good game. I hope he isn't afraid to change QBs if the starter isn't getting the job done. That doesn't mean he would be benched forever just enough to see if someone else can do a better job in the game [especially with two close competitors for the job]. We have a very good OL coach, very good RBs, and receivers so coach Bell has a lot of options to go with. I expect a much better offense this year as every other year I worried about the OL coach.
Couldn't agree more. Bell has to have some positives not seen last season but will occur after addition of player talent and staff changes for this season. Coach Allen finally got it about Hiller. I hold that as a + revelation in Allen's growth. Bell has to adjust from last season and be flexible enough to adjust game to game and in game particularly. He didn't get to OC level of major CFB because he doesn't know offense. All those HC's before Allen can't be that far off base. Until this season proves me wrong I simply believe his version of offense last season wasn't supported by the talent in the Indiana inventory to compete in the B1G. Fingers crossed! 2 1/2 cents from NE Indiana.

Lol

Feel better big guy? Let it out.

We could beat Ohio State by 30 on September 2nd and you'd still be b*tching about how Allen is a bad coach.

Reactions: 76-1 and Lillyr66
Why would I provide a link about a pipeline of players or lack thereof given that I have no opinion on the matter? My point is simply that you demand this of others but never do the same in your posts. My comment is about your asymmetric behavior, not the accuracy of his post.

Last edited:
Why would I provide a link about a pipeline of players or lack thereof given that I have no opinion on the matter? My point is simply that you demand this of others but never do the same in your posts. My comment is about your asymmetric behavior, not the accuracy of his post.
Stroll on back to your board and take your buddy Ordy with you. Ding

Reactions: 76-1
We could beat Ohio State by 30 on September 2nd and you'd still be b*tching about how Allen is a bad coach.
No. I would say it was the greatest win in program history in at least 50 years. And then I would say that coach Tom Allen has successfully turned the program around again.

No one was singing coach Allen's praises more than me until the end of the regular covid shortened season when the Hoosiers had six wins and one loss.

And that's when I thought the wheels started to fall off. Taking the Big 10 logo off of the uniform and replacing it with LEO was an egotistical blunder. And then the Hoosiers lost to a bottom tier SEC team with a losing record in a bowl game.

Next up was Iowa and we know how the story has gone since then. Have I given up on the Hoosiers? No! Am I leary and concerned? Very.

I will be thrilled if the Hoosiers can play a competitive game against Ohio State. I would consider that a major accomplishment in turning the program around again.

Last edited:
I like the changes that have been made this year with going after speedy players, coaches that that want faster players, the effort to focus on the DL and players to improve the DL, bringing in coaches/players for Safeties and coach/players for WR, and most importantly bringing in coach Bostad. IU may have gotten mostly backups but backups with a lot of potential that I hope comes out at IU.

I like the changes that have been made this year with going after speedy players, coaches that that want faster players, the effort to focus on the DL and players to improve the DL, bringing in coaches/players for Safeties and coach/players for WR, and most importantly bringing in coach Bostad. IU may have gotten mostly backups but backups with a lot of potential that I hope comes out at IU.
Speed has always been a high priority, it’s just that Florida is a recruiting priority for tons of programs, including ours. The competition is fierce.

Additions and changes are + actions. Believe LOS will benefit the most. If QB's can limit TO's and negative plays IUFB will show promise again. Run to pass, pass to run should be the mantra for the offense. Expectations are low but a handful of overachievers can make the difference.

Last edited:

Their good year a couple of seasons ago, maybe three, not sure but maybe due in part to the big two being down a pinch that season??

Thanks guys, it has been a pleasure to be on this site all these years. I will soon be 78 so not sure how much time I have left. Having said that, I will be with you till the end!!
Think you've lost you way... You should be on the p u site: GBI...

Thanks guys, it has been a pleasure to be on this site all these years. I will soon be 78 so not sure how much time I have left. Having said that, I will be with you till the end!!

IU football automatically ages all of its fans by 20 years. So, as in calculating “dog years,” you are actually nearing 98 years old. That’s a tremendous achievement to endure that!

Speed has always been a high priority, it’s just that Florida is a recruiting priority for tons of programs, including ours. The competition is fierce.
Coach Heard wasn't concerned with shifty fast receivers and even said he didn't know how to coach smaller receivers. He wanted tall jump ball receivers not necessarily speedy receivers. There is a new emphasis on speed now, I am not saying they didn't want it before, along with shiftiness by the speedy players.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT