ADVERTISEMENT

What’s Woodson’s excuse today

Woodson is average coach.
And a terrible ambassador for Indiana basketball...
I agree he is an average coach most of us thought that from day one. NBA guy rarely if ever succeed in college and he will likely be no exception. I really hope he does not stay more than four years so we can get someone in who knows modern bbal.

It wasn’t effort. It was his substitution strategy. He does the same thing.
Our lead went from 12 to 6 largely thanks to Malik before he went to the bench. Gives up an open 3, barely drew iron on his own 3, leading to a transition 3. He was obviously gassed.

The 2nd unit (including Galloway) then played them even until Sparks' fail on the fast break (convert and we're still up 6, net result 2 point lead). We immediately bring Ware back and he's had probably 15 minutes real time to catch his breath after going out following his air ball of a 1 foot shot (classic sign of needing a breather).

Point being, there was a "whopping" 4 point swing while our 2 best guys caught their breath. And judging by how they appeared before sitting, it's a fair assumption they were both listed as questionable due to a bug.

I'm just not buying that Auburn became an unstoppable force because of a 4 point swing with Ware and Malik on the bench. If anything, Malik should have sat sooner.

Reactions: Beorik and kkott
Something like that…and/or he’ll call out some of the guys for their effort. It’s what an NBA coach would do.

College kids need taught. He hasn’t figured out how to teach consistent effort yet.
Does he really need to teach consistent effort. I feel like it's more a demand thing.

If he does need to teach consistent effort, that doesn't speak well of today's youth.

Our lead went from 12 to 6 largely thanks to Malik before he went to the bench. Gives up an open 3, barely drew iron on his own 3, leading to a transition 3. He was obviously gassed.

The 2nd unit (including Galloway) then played them even until Sparks' fail on the fast break (convert and we're still up 6, net result 2 point lead). We immediately bring Ware back and he's had probably 15 minutes real time to catch his breath after going out following his air ball of a 1 foot shot (classic sign of needing a breather).

Point being, there was a "whopping" 4 point swing while our 2 best guys caught their breath. And judging by how they appeared before sitting, it's a fair assumption they were both listed as questionable due to a bug.

I'm just not buying that Auburn became an unstoppable force because of a 4 point swing with Ware and Malik on the bench. If anything, Malik should have sat sooner.
Dude, after about the 8 minute mark, we got steam rolled. The guy behind me kept screaming to bring back Galloway. There wasn't 1 player that was going to make a difference with the way Auburn played. It would have taken a great team and a great effort to match them. They may have been a moderately good team so far this year, but they were GREAT Saturday, and it would have taken a great team effort to stay with them. One player wasn't going to make a difference.

Reactions: Bippy
Dude, after about the 8 minute mark, we got steam rolled. The guy behind me kept screaming to bring back Galloway. There wasn't 1 player that was going to make a difference with the way Auburn played. It would have taken a great team and a great effort to match them. They may have been a moderately good team so far this year, but they were GREAT Saturday, and it would have taken a great team effort to stay with them. One player wasn't going to make a difference.
Keeping Galloway on the bench the first half with 2 fouls was the one substitution I actually questioned that game. And it's funny I haven't seen any mention of it here on the forum. But you're right, TG is not going to stop that onslaught. A few points maybe.

Keeping Galloway on the bench the first half with 2 fouls was the one substitution I actually questioned that game. And it's funny I haven't seen any mention of it here on the forum. But you're right, TG is not going to stop that onslaught. A few points maybe.
He had about the best +- on the team, but he was getting lit up too. Again, there was no answer on our roster that was gonna change that outcome unless the entire team drastically upped their effort. X wouldn't have changed anything, more TG... it was bigger than 1 person.

Has anyone in any official capacity stated that anyone on the team was sick? Not that they probably would, but it certainly could explain some of the performance/effort or running out of gas in the middle of the first half. It's all speculation as far as I know. Even the pre-game "questionable" status of several players seemed to be more rumor than anything?

Has anyone in any official capacity stated that anyone on the team was sick? Not that they probably would, but it certainly could explain some of the performance/effort or running out of gas in the middle of the first half. It's all speculation as far as I know. Even the pre-game "questionable" status of several players seemed to be more rumor than anything?
CMW was asked during the post-game about all the guys listed as questionable. All he said was that he wasn't going to get into any excuses. The guys played and they got beat. That's the right answer, as far as I'm concerned.

Stop talking sense when we just want to blame Woodson for all the issues with Indiana basketball over the last 25 years.

Reactions: Bippy
NBA guys usually do not make it is college. Look at howard and penny great recruiters at the beginning but results are no that great.
Howard was an assistant in Miami and Penny only coached at the HS level before coaching at Memphis. Not really a fair comparison IMO.

Reactions: bawlmer
Are you saying they’re not NBA guys??

Years in NBA
Howard: 19
Penny: 14
I’m saying to compare them as coaches doesn’t make a lot of sense. Mike Woodson has 10 years experience as an NBA head coach. Penny and Juwan combine for 0.

Are you saying they’re not NBA guys??

Years in NBA
Howard: 19
Penny: 14
If you wanna call every coach that played in the NBA and “NBA guy” the argument becomes pretty weak. For Christsakes, Billy Donovan played in the NBA and won back to back national championships as a college coach.

CMW was asked during the post-game about all the guys listed as questionable. All he said was that he wasn't going to get into any excuses. The guys played and they got beat. That's the right answer, as far as I'm concerned.
It really doesn’t matter what the reason was. We could find out they were all playing with multiple stress fractures in both legs. There will be some asshole saying “yeah, excuses excuses” “awww, they were hurt” “awww, they were tired”. However, you are correct that the right answer is simply “we got beat”, then move on.

I’m saying to compare them as coaches doesn’t make a lot of sense. Mike Woodson has 10 years experience as an NBA head coach. Penny and Juwan combine for 0.
It’s not coaching per se, it’s the mentality. Completely different worlds and hard to switch back to what was 20 or 30 years ago.

Add to it, these are highest level players we’re talking about here. Tough to teach that.

If you wanna call every coach that played in the NBA and “NBA guy” the argument becomes pretty weak. For Christsakes, Billy Donovan played in the NBA and won back to back national championships as a college coach.
I was refuting the statement eluding to Howard and Penny not being NBA guys. Do you disagree?

Also, Billy Donovan? Really?

Professional career​

Donovan was drafted by the Utah Jazz in the third round (68th overall) of the 1987 NBA draft, but was waived before the regular season began. He signed with the Wyoming Wildcatters of the Continental Basketball Association, hoping for another chance to play in the NBA. Pitino left Providence after the team's Final Four run and returned to New York as the head coach of the New York Knicks. In December 1987, Donovan was reunited with his college coach when the Knicks signed him to a one-year contract.[11] He served as a reserve guard for the remainder of the 1987–88 season and averaged 2.4 points and 2.0 assists over 44 games.

The Knicks waived Donovan in March 1988. He did not make an NBA roster during the 1988–89 preseason, so he returned to the CBA, averaging 10.1 points per game with the Rapid City Thrillers.[12][13]

Billy wasn’t much of an ‘NBA Guy’ prior to his coaching in the NBA.

Is this an example of Knight blaming himself ?? LOL

“I had to sit around for a (expletive) year with an 8-10 record in this (expletive) league. And I mean you will not put me in that (expletive) position again or you will (expletive) pay for it like you can’t (expletive) believe.”
Closed doors…

Reactions: Chris A.
I was refuting the statement eluding to Howard and Penny not being NBA guys. Do you disagree?

Professional career​

Donovan was drafted by the Utah Jazz in the third round (68th overall) of the 1987 NBA draft, but was waived before the regular season began. He signed with the Wyoming Wildcatters of the Continental Basketball Association, hoping for another chance to play in the NBA. Pitino left Providence after the team's Final Four run and returned to New York as the head coach of the New York Knicks. In December 1987, Donovan was reunited with his college coach when the Knicks signed him to a one-year contract.[11] He served as a reserve guard for the remainder of the 1987–88 season and averaged 2.4 points and 2.0 assists over 44 games.

The Knicks waived Donovan in March 1988. He did not make an NBA roster during the 1988–89 preseason, so he returned to the CBA, averaging 10.1 points per game with the Rapid City Thrillers.[12][13]

Ultimately, the original post I was referring to mentioned that NBA guys usually don’t make it in the NBA. And this thread is about Woodson not being able to coach. I believe the jury is still out on Woodson. I also believe that most of his problems at this level have been a result of his trying to coach it like an NBA game. ie; substitutions, coaching like it’s a 48 minute game, and his players not showing consistent effort. At the end of the day, whether Woodson ends up being the greatest coach ever or a complete flop has absolutely 0 to do with Penny and Howard. Woodys problems are that he coaches his team like it’s the NBA and those two guys were never NBA head coaches. Pointless comparison. There are guys on this board that said Woodson was a bad hire when IU hired him, and they run to this board everytime IU loses to say I told you so. Some of the reasoning is completely bogus and it gets annoying.

Professional career​

In simpler terms, WTF does Mike Woodson’s coaching ability have to do with Juwan Howard or Penny Hardaway’s coaching ability.

Answer: Absolutely nothing

Hey guys Mike Woodson here just want to say Man our guys played hard I just got to get them to play harder. If we could compete for 40 minutes we can win alot of games. You know guys get tired you can't play guys 40 minutes a game but we're learning.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT