ADVERTISEMENT

What’s it gonna take to change our losing culture?

Look at the last few coaches IU has hired:

Cam Cameron- an unproven assistant

DiNardo- a retread who was given no institutional support

Bill Lynch- did a terrible job at Ball State and was given the head coach position on a permanent basis after leading Hep’s players to a 7-6 season

Kevin Wilson- an unproven assistant who quickly showed his temperament and behavior were incapable of leading IU to a consistent winning culture

Tom Allen- an unproven assistant who was given the job without a national search being conducted

You couldn’t hire a worse set of coaches if you tried. The key to winning is to hire someone who has won and knows how to lead a program. Hep did and he turned things around.

Ask Rick George how he feels about that. Or Travis Goff. Or Pat Richter. Or even Morgan Burke or Mitch Barnhart.plenty of examples of programs built by leaders who knew what to do and then executed.
Rick George got it right on about his 5th try. He has a far worse track record for Dolson/Glass related to football.

Here we are again….midway through the football season and looking forward to basketball. Hell, I think the volleyball team is showing a lot of promise. We’ve been down this path so many times. I hate it but the fact is that we have a losing football culture. Always have but don’t always have too. It will take time but I feel we need someone to come in and blow-up everything and start over. New locker room signs, new traditions on game day, new ideas to get students and fans out of the tailgate fields and to stay, new pressure on the donors, whatever it takes, do something different. If we just keep doing the same old same old thing nothing will ever change. It’s literally the definition of insanity. In the meantime, I just bought my season volleyball tickets.
Somethiing that will never happen---A commitment to football.

Bill Lynch- did a terrible job at Ball State and was given the head coach position on a permanent basis after leading Hep’s players to a 7-6 season

Kevin Wilson- an unproven assistant who quickly showed his temperament and behavior were incapable of leading IU to a consistent winning culture

Tom Allen- an unproven assistant who was given the job without a national search being conducted

You couldn’t hire a worse set of coaches if you tried. The key to winning is to hire someone who has won and knows how to lead a program. Hep did and he turned things around.
Hep's players? lol He has exactly ONE recruiting year. His first. Then he had cancer and his recruiting for the 2nd year fell off drastically.

Lynch won with whatever players Dinardo left and had enough decent players to win.

Agree with the rest of your post.

No, the band is fine. The programs suck.

The Hundred need new leadership. Music-wise, they are an excellent group.
Marching bands are far less about musical ability and far more about creating a spectacle. It’s why one of the finest music schools in the country is responsible for fielding a band that’s not considered to be in the top half of the Big 10. Purdue, an Ag and Engineering school, has a more well known band than ours. How can that be?

Marching bands are far less about musical ability and far more about creating a spectacle. It’s why one of the finest music schools in the country is responsible for fielding a band that’s not considered to be in the top half of the Big 10. Purdue, an Ag and Engineering school, has a more well known band than ours. How can that be?
Who gives a shit. Now you're a marching band expert! Is there no limit to your expertise?

But yeah, you're not a Purdue apologist.....

Who gives a shit. Now you're a marching band expert! Is there no limit to your expertise?

But yeah, you're not a Purdue apologist.....
You were the guy trying to talk about the band, so obviously you give a shit. Just one more area where your ignorance shines through. Lol

You were the guy trying to talk about the band, so obviously you give a shit. Just one more area where your ignorance shines through. Lol
I said their musicianship is fine and they need new leadership. I don't slobber all over other bands, particularly Purdue's.

I said their musicianship is fine and they need new leadership. I don't slobber all over other bands, particularly Purdue's.
Nobody slobbered all over anything, you’re just being your angry, ignorant self. It’s okay, little guy.

Answer to OP: it will take about $150 million more dollars a year in the budget, or, it will take something like a Big Ten draft to get Indiana better players.

first, get rid of NIL. (those saying you can't aren't being honest, or are flat wrong).

NIL takes an already "the rich get richer and poor get poorer" situation, and literally doubles down on it.

institute instead some "in house" based pay to players, with a hard salary cap.

this isn't rocket science.

college sports is now being run by malevolent idiots, with all the wrong priorities, ideas, and agendas.

first, get rid of NIL. (those saying you can't aren't being honest, or are flat wrong).

NIL takes an already "the rich get richer and poor get poorer" situation, and literally doubles down on it.

college sports is now being run by malevolent idiots, with all the wrong priorities, ideas, and agendas.
Ok....I'm sure NIL is going away any minute now. *eye roll*

• Haha
Reactions: midwolfe

So the NCAA is going to do that, so that Indiana no longer has a losing football culture?

The rocket science part is every getting the toothless NCAA , supported by the sports powers, to have the slightest interest in changing anything. Won't happen.

So the NCAA is going to do that, so that Indiana no longer has a losing football culture?

The rocket science part is every getting the toothless NCAA , supported by the sports powers, to have the slightest interest in changing anything. Won't happen.

for every "have" major school, there are 4 or 5 "have nots", always have been, always will be, and NIL greatly magnifies the gap between the "haves" and "have nots", rather than reduces it.

NIL doubles down on the already "the rich get richer, the poor get poorer" system.

i think most schools and most coaches want NIL gone, including many of the "haves".

the more the NIL money comes out of the schools' pockets, directly or indirectly, which it no doubt already is some and absolutely will increasingly more so over time, the more schools and coaches will want it gone.

and the rich donors will become increasingly less supportive as well, especially if or after they get burnt a few times, which they will.

and unlike in politics, the donors get no financial gain in return, so it isn't a business investment like in the political world.

plus the novelty will wear off for even rich donors.

and face it, the entire thing is a total scam/fraud, and for the most part isn't at all as laid out to be, other than some outlier examples.

which effectively makes college sports a scam/fraud.

it's a beyond terrible way to do this for literally everyone but a very few athletes, i don't think it holds up over time, and i think it goes away much quicker than people think.

and face it, some above board compensation paid in house with a salary cap is proven over time to be a great way to do things.

schools now totally consumed and driven by runaway greed beyond belief would much rather said compensation come out of someone else's pockets instead of their own, but it's unrealistic to think NIL money long term won't come out of the school's and coach's own pockets, directly, indirectly, or through loss of giving to the schools because it's being redirected to athletes.

NIL is a beyond terrible way for schools to solve their public relations and inequality problem, which is how we got here in the first place, is a total scam and a fraud anyway, would in many cases lead to the donors controlling the program exactly as we see in the political world, and i don't see NIL sticking around long term.

the faster schools come to their senses, the better.

hopefully a salary cap system directly funded by the schools will be what takes it's place, as such a system has proven over time to work fabulously well.

Last edited:
for every "have" major school, there are 4 or 5 "have nots", always have been, always will be, and NIL greatly magnifies the gap between the "haves" and "have nots", rather than reduces it.

NIL doubles down on the already "the rich get richer, the poor get poorer" system.

i think most schools and most coaches want NIL gone, including many of the "haves".

the more the NIL money comes out of the schools' pockets, directly or indirectly, which it no doubt already is some and absolutely will increasingly more so over time, the more schools and coaches will want it gone.

and the rich donors will become increasingly less supportive as well, especially if or after they get burnt a few times, which they will.

and unlike in politics, the donors get no financial gain in return, so it isn't a business investment like in the political world.

and face it, the entire thing is a total scam/fraud, and for the most part isn't at all as laid out to be, other than some outlier examples.

it's a beyond terrible way to do this for literally everyone but a very few athletes, i don't think it holds up over time, and i think it goes away much quicker than people think.

and face it, some above board compensation paid in house with a salary cap is proven over time to be a great way to do things.

schools now totally consumed and driven by runaway greed beyond belief would much rather said compensation come out of someone else's pockets instead of their own, but it's unrealistic to think NIL money long term won't come out of the school's and coach's own pockets, directly, indirectly, or through loss of giving to the schools because it's being redirected to athletes.

NIL is a beyond terrible way for schools to solve their public relations and inequality problem, which is how we got here in the first place, is a total scam and a fraud anyway, would in many cases lead to the donors controlling the program exactly as we see in the political world, and i don't see NIL sticking around long term.

hopefully a salary cap system directly funded by the schools will be what takes it's place, as such a system has proven over time to work fabulously well.
I agree. NIL is a pretty poor thing for 'college' sports.

And I believe it could be handled/removed in a way that could pass court muster. But many other people (who are nearly as smart as me ... ) say otherwise and that the courts have spoken.

So I think you have nice dream, but the only way out of the current mess for a school is to not field the sport. Otherwise there will be NIL involved.

I agree. NIL is a pretty poor thing for 'college' sports.

And I believe it could be handled/removed in a way that could pass court muster. But many other people (who are nearly as smart as me ... ) say otherwise and that the courts have spoken.

So I think you have nice dream, but the only way out of the current mess for a school is to not field the sport. Otherwise there will be NIL involved.

schools could get around NIL in 2 seconds, by doing so just as they did for 100 plus yrs prior.

yes, everyone has a right to their NIL rights.

they always did. it isn't something new.

but as with any asset, that NIL asset can be sold/assigned away in exchange for being compensated for doing so, such as being compensated with a full scholly plus room and board, as was the case before.

this happens all day every day in industries all over the US and the world, where individual rights are assigned over to an employer or contractor or manager or promoter or publisher or agent or whatever, in exchange for being compensated for doing so.

how is it people have such a hard time grasping this, when it's common practice that goes on every day.

that said, let's not be so beyond naive as to think most NIL money is actually going for use of NIL, rather than pay for play/attending.

the entire thing is a total sham/fraud, and everyone knows it.

which makes college sports a sham.

yes, there are outliers where it is for NIL, but those are outliers.

and again, like any such individual rights, NIL rights can be assigned over in exchange for compensation for doing so, such as a full scholarship to a university plus room and board and books, which is worth far more than said actual NIL rights, (not pay for play), for 99 plus % of individuals, so it's not like athletes would be being taken advantage of.

Here we are again….midway through the football season and looking forward to basketball. Hell, I think the volleyball team is showing a lot of promise. We’ve been down this path so many times. I hate it but the fact is that we have a losing football culture. Always have but don’t always have too. It will take time but I feel we need someone to come in and blow-up everything and start over. New locker room signs, new traditions on game day, new ideas to get students and fans out of the tailgate fields and to stay, new pressure on the donors, whatever it takes, do something different. If we just keep doing the same old same old thing nothing will ever change. It’s literally the definition of insanity. In the meantime, I just bought my season volleyball tickets.
Rutgers fan here. Graduated in 79 and have suffered through mostly terrible years...I feel your pain. Reading through the comments (which could have been penned by the RU fanbase, I will say that having the AD, President and BOT on board is essential. It's taken us a while to get those 3 areas in sync...and will probably still be years before we can beat Penn State, which has been poaching NJ talent for decades.

Colleges continue to offer scholarships to athletes and the courts have affirmed that those same athletes fully control the rights to their names, images and likenesses. Both are on full effect and neither are going away. That you continue to suggest otherwise is simply ignorant on your part.
schools could get around NIL in 2 seconds, by doing so just as they did for 100 plus yrs prior.

yes, everyone has a right to their NIL rights.

they always did. it isn't something new.

but as with any asset, that NIL asset can be sold/assigned away in exchange for being compensated for doing so, such as being compensated with a full scholly plus room and board, as was the case before.

this happens all day every day in industries all over the US and the world, where individual rights are assigned over to an employer or contractor or manager or promoter or publisher or agent or whatever, in exchange for being compensated for doing so.

how is it people have such a hard time grasping this, when it's common practice that goes on every day.

that said, let's not be so beyond naive as to think most NIL money is actually going for use of NIL, rather than pay for play/attending.

the entire thing is a total sham/fraud, and everyone knows it.

which makes college sports a sham.

yes, there are outliers where it is for NIL, but those are outliers.

and again, like any such individual rights, NIL rights can be assigned over in exchange for compensation for doing so, such as a full scholarship to a university plus room and board and books, which is worth far more than said actual NIL rights, (not pay for play), for 99 plus % of individuals, so it's not like athletes would be being taken advantage of.

learn to read.

the instant schools wish to have NIL rights assigned over as a condition of a scholly, i have no reason to think they legally can't do so.

they haven't lately not because they can't, but because schools are using NIL to divert criticism away from the AD dept C-suites and coaches skimming millions for themselves off the media deals, while passing along almost none of it to the schools themselves.

let me know when you find a law that schools can't require athletes assign over NIL rights in exchange for a full scholly, room, and board and books, which are worth more than NIL rights for all but a hand full of athletes in the US.

like i said, that happens all day every day in industries and businesses all over the country.

and very few college players are actually making much off NIL. the whole thing is a total fraud.

NIL is being used totally fraudulently to circumvent pay for play, which SCOTUS DID NOT affirm college players have a right to.

NIL has only been used a couple yrs so far.

don't confuse the fact that schools haven't done anything about it yet, with they can't or won't.

the conferences are now being run by activist hedge fund manager corporate raider type PsOS, not administrators with the best interests of the schools in mind.

as beyond horrible as school administrators now are, i don't look for NIL to stay around long term.

it would be tragic for college sports if it did.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

that said, since it's here now, how bout some full disclosure so everyone knows what's really going on.

full disclosure of what every player is getting or being offered.

full disclosure where the money is coming from.

even every pro league has that, not this behind closed doors dark money sht that's going on, where schools are embarrassed and ashamed to have the public have the slightest idea what's really going on.

Last edited:
learn to read.

the instant schools wish to have NIL rights assigned over as a condition of a scholly, i have no reason to think they legally can't do so.

they haven't lately not because they can't, but because schools are using NIL to divert criticism away from the AD dept C-suites and coaches skimming millions for themselves off the media deals, while passing along almost none of it to the schools themselves.

let me know when you find a law that schools can't require athletes assign over NIL rights in exchange for a full scholly, room, and board and books, which are worth more than NIL rights for all but a hand full of athletes in the US.

like i said, that happens all day every day in industries and businesses all over the country.

and very few college players are actually making much off NIL. the whole thing is a total scam.

NIL is being used totally fraudulently to circumvent pay for play, which SCOTUS DID NOT affirm college players have a right to.

NIL has only been used a couple yrs so far.

don't confuse the fact that schools haven't done anything about it yet, with they can't or won't.

the conferences are now being run by activist hedge fund manager corporate raider type PsOS, not administrators with the best interests of the schools in mind.

as beyond horrible as school administrators now are, i don't look for NIL to stay around long term.

it would be tragic for college sports if it did.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

that said, since it's here now, how bout some full disclosure so everyone knows what's really going on.

full disclosure of what every player is getting or being offered.

full disclosure where the money is coming from.

even every pro league has that, not this behind closed doors dark money sht that going on, where schools are embarrassed and ashamed to have the public have the slightest idea what's really going on.
Courts have affirmed the rights of players to earn money from their NIL. If any school wants to unilaterally disarm and not award scholarships unless a SA agrees to not accept NIL compensation, that school will effectively end their participation in NCAA sports. If schools collude refuse as a group to deny scholarships under this scenario, SA’s will sue and win in no time flat.

You simply and repeatedly don’t understand what’s going on here.

Reactions: oldcougar77
Courts have affirmed the rights of players to earn money from their NIL. If any school wants to unilaterally disarm and not award scholarships unless a SA agrees to not accept NIL compensation, that school will effectively end their participation in NCAA sports. If schools collude refuse as a group to deny scholarships under this scenario, SA’s will sue and win in no time flat.

You simply and repeatedly don’t understand what’s going on here.

you're a total propagandist idiot troll, and i grasp what's going on quite well.

obviously far better than you. (which isn't saying much).

everything the conferences and NCAA and schools do is literally collusion, always has been, which also is the case in the NBA, NFL, NHL, and other sports leagues..

every roster limit, every scholly allowance, every limit on the number of schollies, every coaching staff limit, every rule regarding paying or not paying players, every practice and workout limits rule, number of yrs of eligibility, number of games allowed, every conference media deal for all those billions, are all literally collusion.

how could you possibly not know that??????

DUH!

they have already been exempted for such.

nice try though.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

don't you ever get tired of always being wrong?

my guess is no.

you aren't here to be right, or contribute.

you're here to troll. and troll. and then troll some more.

you're a total propagandist idiot troll, and i grasp what's going on quite well.

everything the conferences and NCAA and schools do is literally collusion, always has been, which also is the case in the NBA, NFL, NHL, and other sports leagues..

every roster limit, every scholly allowance, every limit on the number of schollies, every coaching staff limit, every rule regarding paying or not paying players, every practice and workout limits rule, number of yrs of eligibility, number of games allowed, every conference media deal for all those billions, are all literally collusion.

DUH!

nice try though.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

my guess is no.

Time for another dose of meds dude. You’re off your rocker again

Reactions: Al Bino

DUH!

nice try though.

my guess is no.

So let me get this straight. The NCAA and every single one of its member institution absolutely hate NIL. This is absolutely true as they fought it tooth and nail from the day the topic arose (around 1996 or so). But neither the NCAA nor a single one of those institutions could find an attorney (among the thousands at their disposal) to successfully make the argument that you have determined "obvious" to the court. So you are the only guy in the US smart enough to see this foolproof work-around.

Your narcissism is boundless. Dunning-Kruger probably has your likeness on the cover of its research report. You might want to bring suit and cash in for their use of your image.

Mallory - a proven coach at 2 MAC schools and decent run at a Big 8 school

Hep - a proven coach at a MAC school

I'm fine with another Mallory or Hep hire. They might actually stick around after some success as well.

So let me get this straight. The NCAA and every single one of its member institution absolutely hate NIL. This is absolutely true as they fought it tooth and nail from the day the topic arose (around 1996 or so). But neither the NCAA nor a single one of those institutions could find an attorney (among the thousands at their disposal) to successfully make the argument that you have determined "obvious" to the court. So you are the only guy in the US smart enough to see this foolproof work-around.

Your narcissism is boundless. Dunning-Kruger probably has your likeness on the cover of its research report. You might want to bring suit and cash in for their use of your image.

translation,

"i can't argue with your assertion that NIL rights can be assigned to the schools in exchange for fair compensation, because such transactions do take place every day, so i'll just attack you personally because you're saying things i don't want said".
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

if you think you have a legal case against my assertion that schools can buy/have assigned said NIL rights for fair compensation, make your case.

i'm guessing you can't, because like i said, this goes on every day in business and industry.

thus why you didn't, and couldn't.

and i notice it's always the same usual suspects fighting me on this, and they never can back up their case.

i made my case. (and like i said, it goes on every day in business).

you think you have a legal case, then make it.

good luck with that.

i also made my case for why i think NIL is terrible for college sports, even though i have no problem with paying players something within the system, where there can be controls.

i also pointed out that NIL is largely a total and complete fraud and scam, and not NIL at all in the vast majority of cases.

if you think it's a good thing for college sports, make your case there too.

and the subject has been around since before either of us was born, not since 1996.

Mallory - a proven coach at 2 MAC schools and decent run at a Big 8 school

Hep - a proven coach at a MAC school

I'm fine with another Mallory or Hep hire. They might actually stick around after some success as well.
Let's not forget that Hep was coming off of top 20 season with his MAC team that was led by Big Ben. He was a big-time coach.

Look to the AAC or Conference USA. Those are teams that are at IUs level and where this program needs to be competing…the conference has simply outgrown IU. The university needs to come to that realization.
If we leave the BIG it completely cripples the entire athletic department. We need an administration that realizes football is more important than basketball.

Investment in new facilities and support for football is what is needed. It's been better in the last 20 years but not nearly enough. Mellencamp Pavillion was outdated when I was in school and it's still used today.

Reactions: IUgradman
As with your views on ticket prices, you have zero idea what you’re talking about concerning facilities and / or what’s important to recruits. It’s gibberish.
Wow...now that is mumbo jibberish...you just slipped down a full notch in respect. He was dead on...

We were doing it under Kevin Wison, and we just pulled the plug because he was mean. I mean we were back to back bowls, getting into that consistent Minnesota kind of range.

I'm all about a long term commitment to an offensive minded head coach. Offense wins games in CFB more than defense.

We were doing it under Kevin Wison, and we just pulled the plug because he was mean. I mean we were back to back bowls, getting into that consistent Minnesota kind of range.

I'm all about a long term commitment to an offensive minded head coach. Offense wins games in CFB more than defense.
you're absolutely right. i kinda like dan mullens for that very reason.

While I agree with your disdain for NIL, it doesn't appear to be going away any time soon. In fact, it seems more likely that players will first get a piece of the big money - TV $ - before this student-athlete, amateur charade begins falling apart.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT