ADVERTISEMENT

Well boys…

IU finally hit the jackpot; winning coach, excellent assistants, high caliber QB, defense that can get off the field . . . and on and on and on. I predicted an IU win but certainly did not expect total domination On The Road at The Rose Bowl. Wow. Go Hooisers !!!

He was at the game last night. I can’t know for sure, but it seems like Scott gets to run football without much outside influence like we see in bball. The Cig hire seems to be his thing and my guess is he’s very committed to supporting the staff and making this work.
He should've been at the game. It was a historic game on several levels.

Worried that schools like FSU and Florida will see what Cig is doing here and offer the big bucks. Scott better be ready to keep him at all costs.
Mike Norvell just signed a massive contract extension this offseason. Florida State isn’t going to pay $65 million to fire Norvell after this season nor is Florida going to pay the big bucks to hire 64 year old Cignetti.

Mike Norvell just signed a massive contract extension this offseason. Florida State isn’t going to pay $65 million to fire Norvell after this season nor is Florida going to pay the big bucks to hire 64 year old Cignetti.
FSU is likely stuck but UF certainly would. You keep mentioning 62 yrs old as a reason a program wouldn't take an established coach. That's wild. I bet they'd also take Bill Belichik.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Cignetti doesn’t seem like the type of guy to bolt after one year. I think he truly wants to build something special here.
We said the same thing when Sam Wyche was here. IU was his stepping stone to higher aspirations. For our sake, I hope home attendance picks up in a groundswell of support soon, or it will be, “I’m outta here!”.

FSU is likely stuck but UF certainly would. You keep mentioning 62 yrs old as a reason a program wouldn't take an established coach. That's wild. I bet they'd also take Bill Belichik.
Funny how 30 NFL teams passed on Bill Belichick this offseason…

Florida boosters and NIL donors are not going to shell out the money to fire Napier and hire a coach who turns 64 in-season next year. The only 60+ year old HC who gets a mention in the Florida coaching search is going to be Urban Meyer and he’s not going to be hired because he’s 60 years old. Lane Kiffin, Eli Drinkwitz, Jedd Fisch….one of those 3 will be Florida’s HC next year.

Both arms raised in number one fingers to the Indiana fans on the way out looked like a guy having a really good time.
Yea. I don’t know what he’s thinking but at least for me it’s easy to forget P4 ball is new to him. He gets to play a big time schedule, he is now going after some of the best players in the country with rev share and NIL, and hopefully our fan support improves to “passable/not bad” and excitement picks up around campus.

If fan attendance is the reason a coach leaves, then why are they coaching?

Sure, Cig knows the culture of football historically sucks at IU, but he knew that coming in. He saw IU as a challenge and it seemed like that was part of the allure of taking the job.

I’m more concerned about his younger staff members being enticed to go elsewhere. I’d like to see one of them take over after Cig retires.

I think we’re borrowing trouble fretting over the possibility of Cig deciding to leave after one year.

Funny how 30 NFL teams passed on Bill Belichick this offseason…

Florida boosters and NIL donors are not going to shell out the money to fire Napier and hire a coach who turns 64 in-season next year. The only 60+ year old HC who gets a mention in the Florida coaching search is going to be Urban Meyer and he’s not going to be hired because he’s 60 years old. Lane Kiffin, Eli Drinkwitz, Jedd Fisch….one of those 3 will be Florida’s HC next year.
Sure thing.

If fan attendance is the reason a coach leaves, then why are they coaching?

Sure, Cig knows the culture of football historically sucks at IU, but he knew that coming in. He saw IU as a challenge and it seemed like that was part of the allure of taking the job.

I’m more concerned about his younger staff members being enticed to go elsewhere. I’d like to see one of them take over after Cig retires.

I think we’re borrowing trouble fretting over the possibility of Cig deciding to leave after one year.
Cig has said himself that this is an entertainment business and they are the performers. All performers play to the audience, it's what pumps their blood. No audience, no thrill for the players in the performance. Bet your booty that would be the point that causes them to move to the next venue. Listen to coach talk about it. Our Achilles heel ..

Cig has said himself that this is an entertainment business and they are the performers. All performers play to the audience, it's what pumps their blood. No audience, no thrill for the players in the performance. Bet your booty that would be the point that causes them to move to the next venue. Listen to coach talk about it. Our Achilles heel ..
Pressure is on our fans now. I personally have given them (and me) a pass due to our history, but if support doesn’t pick up quite a bit then it’s open season for criticism.

It's an easy fix on paper. Just show up! But in reality it ain't quite that easy. Too many jaded fans like me. Almost 50 years I've waited for good football out of IU. The formula was simple enough. Cig is evidence. It's up to the students to begin filling the stadium. Others will follow when they see the fun. But consistency is the key.

It's an easy fix on paper. Just show up! But in reality it ain't quite that easy. Too many jaded fans like me. Almost 50 years I've waited for good football out of IU. The formula was simple enough. Cig is evidence. It's up to the students to begin filling the stadium. Others will follow when they see the fun. But consistency is the key.
This is exciting football and we are playing for bowl games so people should show up to watch this.

Yea. I don’t know what he’s thinking but at least for me it’s easy to forget P4 ball is new to him. He gets to play a big time schedule, he is now going after some of the best players in the country with rev share and NIL, and hopefully our fan support improves to “passable/not bad” and excitement picks up around campus.
I’ve been super critical of our attendance, particularly the students, and rightfully so but after watching several games yesterday, I’m retracting my idea that “it’s only IU.”
I think at the end of the Purdue game, the crowd was all ND. Now, they were down 59 and demoralized but the stadium was empty.
UCLA game was pretty poor attendance for a large area like LA. Our fan turnout there was pretty impressive to me. When is the last time I’ve ever heard our fan base, audibly, on the road with the “hey, hey, goodbye” chant that you could hear on the broadcast? Never.
Florida State? Empty.
The Maryland game a week ago hosting MSU lappeared to be pathetic attendance for a team coming off like 3 straight bowls.

We may want to do what other schools are doing. Put giant tarps over empty sections and force people toward the lower bowl. Or, create a ginormous presbox that extends all the way across the West stands and extends down 100 rows. I saw a couple stadiums this weekend where the press box takes up 1/2 of the entire stand section. Our West stand are massive. Most of these oval stadiums don’t extend up that many rows, and so you have more compressed crowd sections lower.

yep. he better be making plan

He was at the game last night. I can’t know for sure, but it seems like Scott gets to run football without much outside influence like we see in bball. The Cig hire seems to be his thing and my guess is he’s very committed to supporting the staff and making this work.
Remember what happened the last time people started talking about raises and extended contracts? Not that there is any comparison between the on-field product, but this kind of talk makes IU fans look desperate. Coach C. said this would be his last stop. Why not take him at his word? Granted, it's surprising that no NFL teams or top FBS programs had discovered him before IU did, but he appears to be happy in Bloomington. I think to be known as the coach who turned around a Big Ten program, eventually won the conference and made the CFP is a pretty good achievement in a career.

Last edited:
Remember what happened the last time people started talking about raises and extended contracts? Not that there is any comparison between the on-field product, but this kind of talk makes IU fans look desperate. Coach C. said this would be his last stop. Why not take him at his word? Granted, it's surprising that no NFL teams or top FBS programs had discovered him before IU did, but he appears to be happy in Bloomington. I think to be known as the coach who turned around a Big Ten program and eventually won the conference and made the CFP is a pretty good achievement in a coaching career.
All I’m saying is Scott seems focused on supporting the staff so they succeed. That may mean raises if things go well, maybe not. Definitely means maximizing NIL. Could also mean more athletic dept budget for new hires, recruiting, facilities, etc. I don’t know, but support is more than just compensation.

All I’m saying is Scott seems focused on supporting the staff so they succeed. That may mean raises if things go well, maybe not. Definitely means maximizing NIL. Could also mean more athletic dept budget for new hires, recruiting, facilities, etc. I don’t know, but support is more than just compensation.
Well said

Remember what happened the last time people started talking about raises and extended contracts? Not that there is any comparison between the on-field product, but this kind of talk makes IU fans look desperate. Coach C. said this would be his last stop. Why not take him at his word? Granted, it's surprising that no NFL teams or top FBS programs had discovered him before IU did, but he appears to be happy in Bloomington. I think to be known as the coach who turned around a Big Ten program and eventually won the conference and made the CFP is a pretty good achievement in a coaching career.
I don't think he realized just what it looked like, before and after the half. I think he was shocked. Reassessment comes after that. I hope he is here until he retires but IU is a tough nut to crack. I'll wait for a couple of seasons before deification. After that, let the statues be built!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT