ADVERTISEMENT

Well boys…

I’ve been super critical of our attendance, particularly the students, and rightfully so but after watching several games yesterday, I’m retracting my idea that “it’s only IU.”
I think at the end of the Purdue game, the crowd was all ND. Now, they were down 59 and demoralized but the stadium was empty.
UCLA game was pretty poor attendance for a large area like LA. Our fan turnout there was pretty impressive to me. When is the last time I’ve ever heard our fan base, audibly, on the road with the “hey, hey, goodbye” chant that you could hear on the broadcast? Never.
Florida State? Empty.
The Maryland game a week ago hosting MSU lappeared to be pathetic attendance for a team coming off like 3 straight bowls.

We may want to do what other schools are doing. Put giant tarps over empty sections and force people toward the lower bowl. Or, create a ginormous presbox that extends all the way across the West stands and extends down 100 rows. I saw a couple stadiums this weekend where the press box takes up 1/2 of the entire stand section. Our West stand are massive. Most of these oval stadiums don’t extend up that many rows, and so you have more compressed crowd sections lower.
How abut the Wisconsin game, no one around for their "Jump Around"!!

Worried that schools like FSU and Florida will see what Cig is doing here and offer the big bucks. Scott better be ready to keep him at all costs.
I had same thought until I found the following:

Never absolute but Cig said in an interview I read recently this is his last stop. Anyone else read that? At 64 he's already making millions. Found this on Herald Times 12/23.

BLOOMINGTON — Indiana football's new coach Curt Cignetti signed a six-year contract with a starting salary of $4 million per year.
The base value of the contract is $25.5 million ($4.25 million a year) without any bonuses.

Cignetti would owe the school $8 million in the first year if he resigns, $6 million in Year 2, $4 million in Year 3, $2 million in Year 4 and $1 million in the final two years of the deal.

As long as the fan base grows with the team, I think we'll be ok. If we can't pack the rock after successful seasons, I'll be nervous. Thoughts?

Go Hoosiers!

Never absolute but Cig said in an interview I read recently this is his last stop. Anyone else read that? At 64 he's already making millions. Found this on Herald Times 12/23.

BLOOMINGTON — Indiana football's new coach Curt Cignetti signed a six-year contract with a starting salary of $4 million per year.
The base value of the contract is $25.5 million ($4.25 million a year) without any bonuses.

Cignetti would owe the school $8 million in the first year if he resigns, $6 million in Year 2, $4 million in Year 3, $2 million in Year 4 and $1 million in the final two years of the deal.

As long as the fan base grows with the team, I think we'll be ok. If we can't pack the rock after successful seasons, I'll be nervous. Thoughts?

Go Hoosiers!
His age isn’t ideal, which helps a lot, but if a big program comes calling, could be tough to turn down.

Fans are part of it. We need to get be close to capacity every game and create a good atmosphere. Memorial Stadium will never be Death Valley, but it could be decent, we’ve talked about it a lot here. I guess we’ll see.

The other part is university support. Are Scott and Pam (and to some extent the BoT) 100% behind FB and working hard to support it? So far that seems to be the case, and if so that goes a long way to raise the ceiling for IUFB and the appeal of coaching here.

If fan attendance is the reason a coach leaves, then why are they coaching?

Sure, Cig knows the culture of football historically sucks at IU, but he knew that coming in. He saw IU as a challenge and it seemed like that was part of the allure of taking the job.

I’m more concerned about his younger staff members being enticed to go elsewhere. I’d like to see one of them take over after Cig retires.

I think we’re borrowing trouble fretting over the possibility of Cig deciding to leave after one year.
We had a pretty large fan presence at an away game that is 2,000 miles away from our campus. There is a large fan base for Indiana that can be tapped into if the product on the field supports it. We are a very large alumni base that is bicoastal and a bunch of places in between.

Win 7 to 8 games on the regular with great seasons interspersed here and there will be support.

We said the same thing when Sam Wyche was here. IU was his stepping stone to higher aspirations. For our sake, I hope home attendance picks up in a groundswell of support soon, or it will be, “I’m outta here!”.
Sam Wyche was 38 when he was at IU. Slightly different than Cignetti’s situation.

If we average 42k for the rest of the year, that will help recruiting and act as a springboard for the future. JMO.
An average of 42K for a P4 school the size of Indiana with a sizeable alumni base that it has is pathetic. The only schools that are in a P4 conference that should have those levels are small schools with small enrollment. Northwestern, Duke, Wake Forest get a pass. Not IU.

He was at the game last night. I can’t know for sure, but it seems like Scott gets to run football without much outside influence like we see in bball. The Cig hire seems to be his thing and my guess is he’s very committed to supporting the staff and making this work.
I think Scott reads the board. Seriously. Many of us said he needed to hire a successful coach at a lower level who could being his staff with him.

After seeing Deboer translate his lower level success to D1, it was obvious there are some coaching gems out there at lower levels.

Coach Cig was looking for a big-time job in his final years and it was just a serendipitous situation for him and IU.

I am very hopeful - and expect - an 8 win season. But one caveat - we haven't played anyone close to good yet. FIU, who I thought might be decent, laid an egg against Florida Atlantic.

This isn't IU teams of old. I am anxious to see us against some really good competition and I think we'll respond.

An average of 42K for a P4 school the size of Indiana with a sizeable alumni base that it has is pathetic. The only schools that are in a P4 conference that should have those levels are small schools with small enrollment. Northwestern, Duke, Wake Forest get a pass. Not IU.
FYI - UCLA only drew 47k for their opener, and that was with a sizeable IU crowd.

Of course, their students weren't on campus, either. Still, you'd think they'd draw more than 47k. The end zones had huge areas there were covered up.

Worried that schools like FSU and Florida will see what Cig is doing here and offer the big bucks. Scott better be ready to keep him at all costs.
Can we stop talking about this crap at least until we play Ohio State and Michigan? The coach has been here for three games. You think he wants to hear this nonsense? I'm on here for the sport of football, not about what ADs have to do or what the buyout clause is, etc. Maybe there should be a separate forum on coaches' contracts and assistants' salaries. By the way, FSU has a great coach, but that ridiculous playoff committee screwed a 13-0 team last season, and then they had to play Georgia while missing half their top players. I don't think the program has recovered from that yet.

I think Scott reads the board. Seriously. Many of us said he needed to hire a successful coach at a lower level who could being his staff with him.

After seeing Deboer translate his lower level success to D1, it was obvious there are some coaching gems out there at lower levels.

Coach Cig was looking for a big-time job in his final years and it was just a serendipitous situation for him and IU.

I am very hopeful - and expect - an 8 win season. But one caveat - we haven't played anyone close to good yet. FIU, who I thought might be decent, laid an egg against Florida Atlantic.

This isn't IU teams of old. I am anxious to see us against some really good competition and I think we'll respond.
All off-season and leading up to yesterday everyone said the UCLA game was key and would reveal just how good this football team is. Well, they dominated. Can we not have just a little excitement? What teams out there besides Ohio State could IU not hang with?

Go Hoosiers!
I believe the crowds will show up. People around here are dying for a good football team. May not be completely sold out against a lesser team this week but watch that Maryland crowd. It will be a fun day.

His age isn’t ideal, which helps a lot, but if a big program comes calling, could be tough to turn down.

Fans are part of it. We need to get be close to capacity every game and create a good atmosphere. Memorial Stadium will never be Death Valley, but it could be decent, we’ve talked about it a lot here. I guess we’ll see.

The other part is university support. Are Scott and Pam (and to some extent the BoT) 100% behind FB and working hard to support it? So far that seems to be the case, and if so that goes a long way to raise the ceiling for IUFB and the appeal of coaching here.
There is enough money in FB that the BoT will be behind the movement. Money talks.

I don't know what Scott does, but I hope he doesn't seek advice from this board, which in my view is just an entertainment venue for IU fans and nothing to be taken seriously. I'd guess he sticks with his network of ADs and related execs, plus his experience of seeing the previous two HC's (promoted coordinators + new staff) play out.

The proven HC/staff is a departure from our previous two hires. Nice to see us change strategy, and so far so good.

This year is fun. We'll have set backs I'm sure, but as you said I think we'll respond and we may as well be optimistic.

Sure, Cig knows the culture of football historically sucks at IU, but he knew that coming in. He saw IU as a challenge and it seemed like that was part of the allure of taking the job.

I’m more concerned about his younger staff members being enticed to go elsewhere. I’d like to see one of them take over after Cig retires.

I think we’re borrowing trouble fretting over the possibility of Cig deciding to leave after one year.
This isn't difficult. Players win. And in order to recruit good players, you need a few things, but fan support is one of them. So if Cignetti does his job and wins, but Indiana football fans do what Indiana football fans have done, then it will be hard to maintain that momentum with recruiting when your stadium doesn't fill up and then also empties well before the game is over.

I think they need to expand the press box from end to end. Add the second tier of stands to the East side that was in the original plans and redo that odd looking SEZ. Talking 10-15K more seats.
We have no business adding seats when we can't fill what we have. Not when we're about to shell out $22million a year in revenue share.

We have no business adding seats when we can't fill what we have. Not when we're about to shell out $22million a year in revenue share.
I agree based on past administrations commitments to the program. I think with the current administration and coaching staff now is the time to start planning upgrades. These upgrades do take time to implement. Many factors to consider before even starting the process. My company was involved in the Assembly Hall upgrade which took years to implement.

I think the admin is behind the football program. The writing is on the wall when it comes to rev share and football. They seem to be reading it and acting upon it with the new NIL focus and all the past/scheduled/proposed improvements to the stadium/facilities. Hopefully, it's not too late, and they keep their foot on the gas.

We’ll have at least 47,000 for MD on Sep 28. If we’re 6-0 or 5-1 going into the Nebraska game, we’ll have a sellout. Assuming we’re bowl-eligible and/or the team is on the brink of eligibility, attendance will be at least 47,000 for Washington and 50,000+ for Michigan and Purdue. Take it to the bank.

IU fans are champing at the bit for a winning team. We saw this in 2019 and during the “Play 13” season in 2007. We’ll have plenty of others hopping on the bandwagon and big crowds if we keep winning.

I think they need to expand the press box from end to end. Add the second tier of stands to the East side that was in the original plans and redo that odd looking SEZ. Talking 10-15K more seats.
If/when there is enough demand and ROI for premium seats, suites will probably be on the East side. The top row on the East side is much closer to the ground and they’ll likely build something from the ground up behind the existing East stand. Pretty typical for stadiums like ours. Plus the suites will be closer to the field on the East side.

If ticket demand becomes high they can add some temporary bleachers in the end zones for cheap.

Agree you want a Master Plan for Memorial Stadium and I bet IU has one, but unfortunately we’re just trying to fill what we have and we have a ways to go to do that.

FYI - UCLA only drew 47k for their opener, and that was with a sizeable IU crowd.

Of course, their students weren't on campus, either. Still, you'd think they'd draw more than 47k. The end zones had huge areas there were covered up.
No. 47,000+ is a nice crowd for UCLA.

The Bruins have some unique challenges. First, the campus is 25 miles from the Rose Bowl. With LA’s dreaded freeway traffic, that can be as much as a 90 minute drive. Next, we’re talking Los Angeles here. There’s a ton of competition for the sports and entertainment dollar including two NFL teams and the USC Trojans. This isn’t Iowa City or Lincoln NE where there’s only one game in town.

Reactions: red hornet
We’ll have at least 47,000 for MD on Sep 28. If we’re 6-0 or 5-1 going into the Nebraska game, we’ll have a sellout. Assuming we’re bowl-eligible and/or the team is on the brink of eligibility, attendance will be at least 47,000 for Washington and 50,000+ for Michigan and Purdue. Take it to the bank.

IU fans are champing at the bit for a winning team. We saw this in 2019 and during the “Play 13” season in 2007. We’ll have plenty of others hopping on the bandwagon and big crowds if we keep winning.
Good estimates imo. Would be great if people got excited and MD is close to 50K. I don’t know what will happen.

All off-season and leading up to yesterday everyone said the UCLA game was key and would reveal just how good this football team is. Well, they dominated. Can we not have just a little excitement? What teams out there besides Ohio State could IU not hang with?
Agreed. We passed the first big test with flying colors.

Michigan could be ripe for the picking this year, and a special season could be in the works. Can’t wait for the next nine Saturdays of IU football!

I think our hidden safety net there is how many of his guys have IU ties. Haines and Kuntz both previously coached at IU with the latter being an Indiana native. If Haines gets picked off, I would expect Kuntz to be ready to step up given his reputation and the track record to back it up. Plus, we have a similar path to succession on the offensive end with Sunseri and Shannahan.
Great thing about Cig is that he seems to be a guy that really develops his staff as much as he does players. It helps to create loyalty, but it also helps to create guys ready to step up when opportunities present themselves. If he is here for 10 years, I half expect his coaching tree to echo his own legacy beyond that time frame due to how he develops young coaches.

Win some games and the rest will take care of itself.
ISU basketball is a good example of that.
They averaged 3-4k a game and then they started winning….a lot.
Every February and March home game sold out and they filled Hinkle for the NIT final.
I anticipate a big crowd for the Maryland game…everyone loves a winner.

I still think UCLA is decent. They are an FBS team with good athletes and good size. What won the game for IU was its relentless, methodical approach, which we can attribute to the new staff. Either way, if you go into the Rose Bowl and beat a West Coast team, that is a good win in any year. And there is no reason for IU not to be ranked afterward. That said, we're probably better off not being ranked yet. It keeps the chip on our shoulder.

I don't think they will redo the SEZ that was just added recently.

Also not sure how easy it would be to go back to the original plans for the east side. I could see maybe adding suites along the top of the east side if they think being that far away from the field is alright.

If i had to guess, replacing the press box will be the next major construction.

I wish we could move to actual seats in the entire stadium instead of bench seats but that would likely reduce stadium capacity.

I think our hidden safety net there is how many of his guys have IU ties. Haines and Kuntz both previously coached at IU with the latter being an Indiana native. If Haines gets picked off, I would expect Kuntz to be ready to step up given his reputation and the track record to back it up. Plus, we have a similar path to succession on the offensive end with Sunseri and Shannahan.
Great thing about Cig is that he seems to be a guy that really develops his staff as much as he does players. It helps to create loyalty, but it also helps to create guys ready to step up when opportunities present themselves. If he is here for 10 years, I half expect his coaching tree to echo his own legacy beyond that time frame due to how he develops young coaches.
...also he evaluates and hires people to be assistants with good capabilities...BB being 1 of a couple on this staff...

Reactions: EvansvilleHoosier88
UCLA is only at 45,000
6ryg5i.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT