ADVERTISEMENT

Week 3 Rankings

daddyhoosier

Junior
Aug 31, 2019
iufb.net

Week 3 Rankings

September 19, 2022 | DaddyHoosier | iufb.net

Week 3 is in the books. Here are the latest SP+ rankings. I’m also adding the CBS rankings since SP+ is projecting forward while CBS is more of a resume ranking.

SP+
3. Ohio St (3-0)
5. Michigan (3-0)
9. Penn St (3-0)
15. Wisconsin (2-1)
16. Minnesota (3-0)
17. Cincinnati (2-1)
24. Michigan St (2-1)
31. Iowa (2-1)
36. Purdue (1-2)
39. Maryland (3-0)
63. Illinois (2-1)
64. WKU (2-1)
68. Nebraska (1-3)
74. Rutgers (3-0)
82. Indiana (3-0)
99. Northwestern (1-2)
Idaho – FCS

CBS Sports 131
3. Ohio St
4. Michigan
10. Penn St
27. Minnesota
33. Cincinnati
34. Michigan St
37. Wisconsin
42. Maryland
47. Purdue
55. Illinois
56. Rutgers
63. Indiana
65. Iowa
90. Western Kentucky
92. Nebraska
104. Northwestern
Idaho – FCS

Last edited:
Reactions: vesuvius13
I think it has a lot to do with being out gained, giving up too many first downs, relatively low completion percentages, … and playing from behind (a lot).

In particular, 3rd down Pct. Def and Passing Efficiency, Def seem low compared to recent TA/Womack outcomes.

It takes time for the DL rotations to wear out opposing OLs, winning the 4th quarter usually works out. Let’s keep winning 2nd halves, and 4th Quarters … and minimize two score deficits

I think it has a lot to do with being out gained, giving up too many first downs, relatively low completion percentages, … and playing from behind (a lot).

In particular, 3rd down Pct. Def and Passing Efficiency, Def seem low compared to recent TA/Womack outcomes.

It takes time for the DL rotations to wear out opposing OLs, winning the 4th quarter usually works out. Let’s keep winning 2nd halves, and 4th Quarters … and minimize two score deficits
CTA said something to that effect at a press conference. (Paraphrasing) First two games finished strong. Against WKU, they started well and finished well. Now they just need that middle part.

SP+ is a convoluted algorithm that takes a bunch of stats, throws them into a blender and spits out a number. I think it probably gets much of the top 3-4 teams right but after that, it gets really hazy.
Not sure the logic where teams you beat in head-to-head (3 of them) are ranked ahead. Feels like they should weigh that more into the equation.

I never really look much at rankings or these indexes. They usually serve solely as something that the numbers nerds can spank off to in the wee hours of the morning.

SP+ is a convoluted algorithm that takes a bunch of stats, throws them into a blender and spits out a number. I think it probably gets much of the top 3-4 teams right but after that, it gets really hazy.
Not sure the logic where teams you beat in head-to-head (3 of them) are ranked ahead. Feels like they should weigh that more into the equation.

I never really look much at rankings or these indexes. They usually serve solely as something that the numbers nerds can spank off to in the wee hours of the morning.
Please permit me to disagree to a point …. Then there’s always “It’s why they play the games”. I agree more transparency in the magic numbers would make them more understandable.

I like the 3rd down, red zone, and passing efficiency numbers as a relative assessment of performance.

IU lags those ‘leading indicators’. Stay on the field /Get off the field, score each time/scoreless red zone trips, and passing efficiency. (I’d personally like to see red zone points per trip and completion % defense — passing efficiency does weigh yards per catch/attempt so 20/30 100 yds doesn’t look so good).

Last edited:
Reactions: vesuvius13
SP+ isn't evaluating resume it's projecting where everyone will end up when the dust settles. I worry that the mother ship has co-opted it and uses it more to generate clicks than to provide accurate predictions.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and 76-1
SP+ isn't evaluating resume it's projecting where everyone will end up when the dust settles. I worry that the mother ship has co-opted it and uses it more to generate clicks than to provide accurate predictions.
Wake me up when these sites predict SIU over Northwestern Marshall over ND and many others

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT