ADVERTISEMENT

We gave ourselves a chance to win.

Rockport Zebra

All-American
Jan 30, 2002
If we hadn't "taken the points" and choose to go for a 4th down, we would not have been in the position to win in the end.
Not giving up sacks was huge. Maybe our running game is on the backs and not the hogs.
DB making plays is refreshing.
OB play didn't beat us, but it could.

Reactions: ESalum86 and 76-1
If we hadn't "taken the points" and choose to go for a 4th down, we would not have been in the position to win in the end.
Not giving up sacks was huge. Maybe our running game is on the backs and not the hogs.
DB making plays is refreshing.
OB play didn't beat us, but it could.
Illinois was more balanced and lost.

We had to throw it to move it and did - especially when it mattered.

Both QB's were OK, but our QB out-played theirs. 330 is a good first game for Bazelak. And that game-winning must-do drive was awesome.

Their RB got 199, but got stuffed at the goal line when it mattered.

Our running game was awful. 32 rushing yards is an embarassment. Abject failure. I don't want to hear any explanation or trite phrasings about it. I wish Allen would show anger about it.

Our coaches need to figure out WHY the run game sucks. Maybe just can't run block. Maybe something else. But if toucan't run the ball, you can't compete in our division.

I know two things - (1) our second year RB's (Spegal, Howland, Holloman, Wethington) and our newbies (Lucas, Lozano) have never sucked in a game situation, and (2) the best sports motivator is the bench.

Coaches who wait for an easy time and a nice lead to test out the guys who haven't gotten a shot often do it at the next school, because they waited too long at the last one. When your starters can't get more than 32 yards there is zero risk in trying others.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT