ADVERTISEMENT

IU's ONLY GHOST of a Chance vs Oh. State is if....

codylance

All-American
Gold Member
Jul 13, 2004
...we run the triple option, as we did versus Purdue till Dexter Williams got hurt....

Remember: we were up 7-3 and driving to make it 14-3 when DW got hurt - missed a 44-yard FG & it was all downhill from there - with another QB coming in & trying (unsuccessfully) to run a traditional offense.

Oh St is obviously not Purdue, but running the triple (which can be run with Tayven J. till DW gets healthy) will give us the best chance against an O$U defense that has not practiced against it.

Against Purdue, IU made 4th downs effortlessly (not "hold your breath") on the first couple drives because where the run was gonna go was unpredictable...

Only the service academies run the triple option now (since GT stopped a few years ago) and hopefully IU runs the AF version with fair amount of passing involved.

Haven't heard whether IU is planning to do the same game plan as it did versus Purdue, but hope so....

Thoughts..?!??

Reactions: BayernFan
...we run the triple option, as we did versus Purdue till Dexter Williams got hurt....

Remember: we were up 7-3 and driving to make it 14-3 when DW got hurt - missed a 44-yard FG & it was all downhill from there - with another QB coming in & trying (unsuccessfully) to run a traditional offense.

Oh St is obviously not Purdue, but running the triple (which can be run with Tayven J. till DW gets healthy) will give us the best chance against an O$U defense that has not practiced against it.

Against Purdue, IU made 4th downs effortlessly (not "hold your breath") on the first couple drives because where the run was gonna go was unpredictable...

Only the service academies run the triple option now (since GT stopped a few years ago) and hopefully IU runs the AF version with fair amount of passing involved.

Haven't heard whether IU is planning to do the same game plan as it did versus Purdue, but hope so....

Thoughts..?!??
If they do, Jackson's probably the man

Reactions: codylance
Disagree. They need to play mistake free. They need to cause some turnovers. They need some luck. They don't need to resort to a gimmick offense unless they're going to make it their gimmick all season and their identity, which I'm for if the coaches think that gives the best chance of winning.

They were going punch for punch with tOSU in 2017 until late in the 3rd quarter when the wheels came off and J.K. Dobbins ground the defense into powder.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/game/_/gameId/400935229 (look through the play-by-play).

Reactions: nichlee
Jackson runs a 4.94 40 while Sorsby runs a 4.6. Sorsby ran a lot in high school, Tayven barely did at all.

If they're going to rely on an option attack, Sorsby makes a lot more sense.
I thought Jackson was more runner than passer in high school

I thought Jackson was more runner than passer in high school
He ran for 372 yards total at 3.41 per carry in his JR and SR seasons combined.
That was in 28 games. And he ran for negative yardage on 41 carries in his sophomore season.

Sorsby ran for 1028 yards on 6 yards a carry in his JR and SR seasons combined.
He played in 16 games total. He didn't play, or at least didn't register any stats, prior to his JR season.

That works out to about 13 yards a game rushing for Jackson and ~64 yards a game for Sorsby.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cap99
He ran for 372 yards total at 3.41 per carry in his JR and SR seasons combined.
That was in 28 games. And he ran for negative yardage on 41 carries in his sophomore season.

Sorsby ran for 1028 yards on 6 yards a carry in his JR and SR seasons combined.
He played in 16 games total. He didn't play, or at least didn't register any stats, prior to his JR season.

That works out to about 13 yards a game rushing for Jackson and ~64 yards a game for Sorsby.
With stats like that why was he so highly recruited

People see a black QB and automatically think he is a dual threat. This happened this Penix and now it is the case with Jackson. As mentioned above, Sorsby is a much better athlete than Jackson. I also believe he is a more accurate passer (while Jackson has the stronger arm).

I say Sorsby gets the nod.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
So was he a good passer. Do you have stats on that?
SR: 1842 yards, 66.3% completion percentage, 14.9 YPC, 21 TD, 3 INT
JR: 1756 yards, 62.1% completion percentage, 15.5 YPC, 17 TD, 5 INT
SO: 1214 yards, 52.6% completion percentage, 13.2 YPC, 9 TD, 10 INT

Reactions: kmathum
People see a black QB and automatically think he is a dual threat. This happened this Penix and now it is the case with Jackson. As mentioned above, Sorsby is a much better athlete than Jackson. I also believe he is a more accurate passer (while Jackson has the stronger arm).

I say Sorsby gets the nod.
As long as we get the W, I don't care

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT