ADVERTISEMENT

We aren’t winning ****.

I'm not going to moan after a win like that. I'm certainly concerned about our passing game but there's actually lots to like about the outcome.

The oline is a work in progress type of deal. Hopefully Bedford adjusts to his new home at RG. Tuttle had two excellent passes.

I remember when we would win games like this 31 to 17 or similar. Hell I remember losing to Southern Illinois. I have been looking for a win like this against this level. 52 to 14 is more like it. Looking forward to next week. PS Where have you guys been coaching?

you guys gotta stop trotting out this logical fallacy, it's embarrassing:

I remember when we would win games like this 31 to 17 or similar. Hell I remember losing to Southern Illinois. I have been looking for a win like this against this level. 52 to 14 is more like it. Looking forward to next week. PS Where have you guys been coaching?

I don’t have to be a college coach to see how crappy our QB is right now.

This offense is PUTRID. And much of it is on the offensive staff. Sheridan. Hiller. Wright. Those guys have 0 business in this conference.
Just stop, dude. This is stupid and not funny. IU controlled the game and the outcome was never in doubt. Vanilla was intentionally the flavor.

I'm thinking either you're a troll or you're drunk. Or both.

You coaches do realized we ran the ball twice as often as we threw it. When is the last time we scored 52 running the ball 45 times to 20 pass plays. "Your capacity for opposition is astonishing".
This gameplan won't work against our other opponents, I hope Sheridan goes into prep mode for the weeks ahead instead of trying to break-in a strat that will only be successful today.
I said this halfway thru the game, keep up

Reactions: vesuvius13
I will agree, the O-line looked bad again, letting up two sacks in a row to Penn State is bad, but Idaho, that's unacceptable, granted I think Penix held the ball too long on the second sack. I hope they can get it going but I think this O-line will get mauled alive by B1G D-lines, remember for all the hype about Iowa's defense, their most inexperienced unit and probably their least talented unit was the D-line, and they still dominated our O-line. I was hoping to see more progress from Penix, they clearly had no desire to practice shot plays against Idaho, part of me gets it, but part of me thinks it would have been great for Penix's confidence to hit a shot play in front of the home crowd. Either way, still very concerning O-line situation and play calling, keeping a tab on Penix, but I think he'll he fine if we have decent play calling. On a positive note the defense looked great.

Last edited:
Penix is still a shell of himself. No doubt there. Also a little worrisome how low the rush per attempt was. The defense is good. But we all knew that. Special teams were great…but again…we played a horrendous team.

Penix is still a shell of himself. No doubt there. Also a little worrisome how low the rush per attempt was. The defense is good. But we all knew that. Special teams were great…but again…we played a horrendous team.
MP is not the MP we saw last year. I compare this to Robbie hummel in that Robbie took a few games to get back each time and he was never 100% the same guy.

Reactions: iueyedoc99
IU won a game it was supposed to win. Beat the spread too. But, big but, the OL still looked mediocre to bad. The sacks allowed to a team that is clearly not really competition were unacceptable. The defense gave up two long scoring drives. Again, against this team? But the big takeaway was the the offensive ineffectiveness and it was ineffective. Take away the IU special teams and this outcome is much less impressive. The playcalling and gameplan showed an inability to really make the plays the needed to beat high quality opponents.

Just stop, dude. This is stupid and not funny. IU controlled the game and the outcome was never in doubt. Vanilla was intentionally the flavor.

I'm thinking either you're a troll or you're drunk. Or both.

He’s notorious for doing this on the basketball forum as well, writes apocalyptic posts before the first media timeout. This can’t be healthy for him.

IU won a game it was supposed to win. Beat the spread too. But, big but, the OL still looked mediocre to bad. The sacks allowed to a team that is clearly not really competition were unacceptable. The defense gave up two long scoring drives. Again, against this team? But the big takeaway was the the offensive ineffectiveness and it was ineffective. Take away the IU special teams and this outcome is much less impressive. The playcalling and gameplan showed an inability to really make the plays the needed to beat high quality opponents.
They started throwing quick slants over the blitz. I was disappointed they didn’t fake blitz and drop back in coverage a few times to throw them off.

So how do you know that if we don't run a punt back or block one, our offense doesn't score on that series? By virtue of the special teams score, we score faster and get more opportunities to get ball back. Granted our offense needs work but to say that by taking away special teams plays makes it less impressive. Maybe Carr rips off a long td run or MP connects for a long td, wouldn't that be impressive? Must be nice to sit there and look into a crystal ball and see that, but after decades of seeing other teams score like that, ill take it even though it is against an inferior team

He’s notorious for doing this on the basketball forum as well, writes apocalyptic posts before the first media timeout. This can’t be healthy for him.

The guys bitching about me are the same ones that will be bitching when we lose by 14-21 pts next weekend.

• Haha
Reactions: billyhillui
So how do you know that if we don't run a punt back or block one, our offense doesn't score on that series? By virtue of the special teams score, we score faster and get more opportunities to get ball back. Granted our offense needs work but to say that by taking away special teams plays makes it less impressive. Maybe Carr rips off a long td run or MP connects for a long td, wouldn't that be impressive? Must be nice to sit there and look into a crystal ball and see that, but after decades of seeing other teams score like that, ill take it even though it is against an inferior team
Yes, potentially you're right, it could have happened that way. IU did open with a long drive for a score and Carr did have a couple of runs that were longer, but most of his runs were short yardage and the line was marginally better at opening holes, but it was against an inferior team that due to FCS rules has 20 less scholarship rules and can't attract even two star recruits for the most part. What should have happened during the game was a wearing down of the Idaho defense and ultimately long gash runs, but that didn't happen. And yes, I know later in the game a lot of second and third stringers played, but Penn State put up 79 points on this team a couple of seasons ago. Cincinnati is not going to be as weak on special teams, nor will virtually any other opponent left on the schedule. Games are typically not won by special teams. Penix had 68 total yards passing. 68. That kind of production is not going to make IU competitive in the B1G. Sheridan and Hiller have a long way to go. That opinion is not crystal ball it is the reality right now.

Yes, potentially you're right, it could have happened that way. IU did open with a long drive for a score and Carr did have a couple of runs that were longer, but most of his runs were short yardage and the line was marginally better at opening holes, but it was against an inferior team that due to FCS rules has 20 less scholarship rules and can't attract even two star recruits for the most part. What should have happened during the game was a wearing down of the Idaho defense and ultimately long gash runs, but that didn't happen. And yes, I know later in the game a lot of second and third stringers played, but Penn State put up 79 points on this team a couple of seasons ago. Cincinnati is not going to be as weak on special teams, nor will virtually any other opponent left on the schedule. Games are typically not won by special teams. Penix had 68 total yards passing. 68. That kind of production is not going to make IU competitive in the B1G. Sheridan and Hiller have a long way to go. That opinion is not crystal ball it is the reality right now.

In some ways this game was about getting in-game reps. Under Penix the offense punted twice - once on a three and out (2 sacks given up) and once on a 10 play drive.

if the special teams scores were masking multiple 3 and outs I would have more concerns. I’m still not sure the offense will step up but a bit more confident in it than after Iowa.

I think the best thing for penix was the scramble & stiff arm to get away from the big guy grabbing his face mask. Sometimes proving your body (knee) can do something helps with any between the ears issues.

We have a very vocal group of perpetually negative fans. I can't imagine enjoying a game with them in the stands. It'd be "We suck! We might as well leave!" in the first quarter. Where's the fun in that? Except for giving them crap and laughing at them for it. That might be a little enjoyable. ;)

The guys bitching about me are the same ones that will be bitching when we lose by 14-21 pts next weekend.
Here's what you said in a predictions thread yesterday, just before kickoff:

"Goodness! We have 1……bad game, and some of you think the sky is falling. Maybe we aren’t a Rose Bowl team. But I’m guessing we’ll definitely play in some sort of bowl game!"

Then, hours later, following a 56-14 thrashing of an opponent, you're trashing our team.

I'm not sure you ever had any credibility here, but you definitely don't now.

The offense is clearly a concern right now. Penix looks shaky, the OL has not shown signs of a step forward, and the play calling has been dicey, at best. I think any reasonable fan can agree on this. That said, I agree with another poster who described this game as an opportunity to get reps, etc. The OL had a chance to play together for the first time against a different opponent, etc. I think we are in good shape going into the Cincy game next week. Does this performance mean we will win, I don't know, but it allowed some work on things that needed to be shored up to be competitive.

This offense is PUTRID. And much of it is on the offensive staff. Sheridan. Hiller. Wright. Those guys have 0 business in this conference.
We have things to work on, but it is also quite possible that the best team we will play all year is the team we played in week 1. That game was still ugly but how many teams out there can tout 2 Top 25 wins (based on ranking of team when game was played) right now?

We have things to work on, but it is also quite possible that the best team we will play all year is the team we played in week 1. That game was still ugly but how many teams out there can tout 2 Top 25 wins (based on ranking of team when game was played) right now?
Let’s stop building Iowa up into some kind of championship contender for a second here please. I know we got our heads handed to us by them last Saturday but that’s looking more and more like no great shakes.

Let’s stop building Iowa up into some kind of championship contender for a second here please. I know we got our heads handed to us by them last Saturday but that’s looking more and more like no great shakes.
They are currently sitting at #5 in the country with wins against the then #17 and then #9 team in the country IIRC. At this point in time, they are absolutely a contender.

Our team still needing work and them being a really good team are not mutually exclusive.

They are currently sitting at #5 in the country with wins against the then #17 and then #9 team in the country IIRC. At this point in time, they are absolutely a contender.

Our team still needing work and them being a really good team are not mutually exclusive.

Iowa is a well-coached team with a very good defense who has caught every break so far in the early season. By my count they have three INT’s off pass deflections where the Iowa defender has just happened to be in the right place at the right time. They barely have 400 yards of total offense through 2 games and their QB is completing passes at a whopping 50% clip. I expect their defense to remain stout throughout the remainder of the season but their TO margin will regress back towards the mean and their offense is eventually going to have to win them a game.

Last edited:
I'm not going to moan after a win like that. I'm certainly concerned about our passing game but there's actually lots to like about the outcome.

The oline is a work in progress type of deal. Hopefully Bedford adjusts to his new home at RG. Tuttle had two excellent passes.
Penix holds onto the ball too long at times. There were numerous times yesterday where crossing routes were open early in the break, but he didn’t deliver the ball until the receiver had crossed the field (where the middle was open) and was into the far boundary where they caught the ball and had nowhere to run.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT