ADVERTISEMENT

Washington Township announces online classes only

People are pushing this kids don’t get sick and die narrative. They do. Plus we don’t know enough about this virus. We don’t know if you get it three times and it’s the fourth one that bites you. We’re basically asking a little kid to get this virus for the first time and then see what happens. It’s a mistake.

Reactions: 76-1
Testing is going to be a huge issue. If a child at a middle school reports a 101 fever, and their test takes 10 days, what does that school do? What if 2 have it?

We need to figure out testing.

I know people at work who have gone in and gotten results back next day. It seems it is not happening as quickly in places like Florida and Texas with heavier outbreaks

Testing is going to be a huge issue. If a child at a middle school reports a 101 fever, and their test takes 10 days, what does that school do? What if 2 have it?

We need to figure out testing.
That's grasping at straws. Just like the nonsense they're doing with college football. Just like limiting crowds to 50 or 100 or 250 people, yet expecting everyone to stay six feet apart.

It's part of the Do something, anything! mindset. The least worst option is to not do anything. No school, no bars, no football.

People are pushing this kids don’t get sick and die narrative. They do. Plus we don’t know enough about this virus. We don’t know if you get it three times and it’s the fourth one that bites you. We’re basically asking a little kid to get this virus for the first time and then see what happens. It’s a mistake.

I haven’t seen anyone push a narrative that kids don’t get sick and die. They get sick and die at much lower rates though. But e learning will be available for those who don’t want to send their kids to school, at least in Indiana, as it should be

That's grasping at straws. Just like the nonsense they're doing with college football. Just like limiting crowds to 50 or 100 or 250 people, yet expecting everyone to stay six feet apart.

It's part of the Do something, anything! mindset. The least worst option is to not do anything. No school, no bars, no football.
It’s terrible, but so. We have not put in the work to get rid of this. Is anyone watching Israel right now? They’re rioting in the streets now about opening schools too early. Their numbers were way down before they did.

I haven’t seen anyone push a narrative that kids don’t get sick and die. They get sick and die at much lower rates though. But e learning will be available for those who don’t want to send their kids to school, at least in Indiana, as it should be
I don’t want to argue with you man. It’s very clear to me how you see this. We just disagree.

We have dueling experts on schools, the American Pediatric Association was pretty aggressive in the need to open schools. Others are less enthusiastic.

But the pediatric group has legitimate points. It hurts families financially, it hurts children's development, it creates depression.

Now the first one we could solve with resources but we both know congress will not do it.,that $600 supplement is history.

But the thing is not all communities are the same. Our Henryville expert makes me believe school there is likely. I am really thinking it is a mistake for Monroe County. And a huge mistake for IU though I know IU closing would put a lot of people living in cardboard boxes which is not good.

But that isn't to say Monroe couldn't get a handle on the infection rate. We won't because of stupidity, but we "could".

I don’t want to argue with you man. It’s very clear to me how you see this. We just disagree.

That is fine. Your opinion seems clear to me as well and you are entitled to it. I feel strongly about this issue, though it is a complicated one, and I can admit I don’t have all the answers (and quite possibly none of us have any of the answers!). Still I think all sides deserve to be heard on this issue as it effects us all. I’m not trying to be a prick or offend anyone so I apologize if it comes off that way

That is fine. Your opinion seems clear to me as well and you are entitled to it. I feel strongly about this issue, though it is a complicated one, and I can admit I don’t have all the answers (and quite possibly none of us have any of the answers!). Still I think all sides deserve to be heard on this issue as it effects us all. I’m not trying to be a prick or offend anyone so I apologize if it comes off that way
Thanks. Ya. I don’t have any answers either. I wasn’t offended at all. It’s just clear to me that your mind is made up right now. I’m afraid time is going to change it. I can’t begin to tell you how much I hope that I’m wrong and you’re right.
My gut says you are so terribly wrong, however.

I am not confused, but thanks for the concern. Macro means to look at something on a larger scale. I am doing that. You are doing that too. We are just looking at different factors in this problem. You may think your concerns are more important, which is fair, but that is not what you are saying when you say macro.

I never claimed schools were trying to save my child. That was in response to you comparing me sending my child to school right now with sending her to school with a sniper. The rest of that paragraph contains nothing I don’t know and nothing I have denied. In fact I’ve made similar comments in this thread.

And lastly, I don’t need to disabuse myself of the notion “that it’s going to look like it did last fall” because I never said that!

Got it. I'm in a situation very similar to yours. My personal concerns are your concerns. So, what I'm saying is that my (and your concerns) are just part of the concerns that a school district has to consider.

Otherwise, good luck with the situation. Hope it works out to your satisfaction in your district.

Reactions: brianiu and glmiu11
Pike just decided to go all virtual until at least Labor Day. I think we will see this one by one. No one wants to be the first back test case.

We have dueling experts on schools, the American Pediatric Association was pretty aggressive in the need to open schools. Others are less enthusiastic.

But the pediatric group has legitimate points. It hurts families financially, it hurts children's development, it creates depression.

Now the first one we could solve with resources but we both know congress will not do it.,that $600 supplement is history.

But the thing is not all communities are the same. Our Henryville expert makes me believe school there is likely. I am really thinking it is a mistake for Monroe County. And a huge mistake for IU though I know IU closing would put a lot of people living in cardboard boxes which is not good.

But that isn't to say Monroe couldn't get a handle on the infection rate. We won't because of stupidity, but we "could".

All real problems but temporary as opposed to organ damage and/or death.

All real problems but temporary as opposed to organ damage and/or death.

True, kids from the depression came out the other side. But we have a lot of variation in localities. Marion Co has a 1.24 R rate, 5he infection is growing rapidly. Porter Co has a .92 R rate, the infection is shrinking and that is before the statewide mask order. There is every reason to believe 2 weeks of masking puts Porter in great shape. No system should treat Porter and Marion the same.

Reactions: hoosboot and 76-1

There is no evidence of this whatsoever. No reason to make shit up. The risk isn't to the children themselves, it's that they will be community spreaders to older folks in their families.

There is no evidence of this whatsoever. No reason to make shit up. The risk isn't to the children themselves, it's that they will be community spreaders to older folks in their families.
No evidence of kids dying from this?
Whatever.

There have been a few; I don’t think anyone denies this. But car wrecks and the flu are more potent killers on children than Covid

I think we aren't entirely sure. Younger kids have probably been the most quarantined people with schools and day cares cancelled. A wild theory, kids with diabetes, asthma, and other conditions, are even more isolated currently.

The authors of the South Korean study admit their sample size for their under 10 population were too low to draw definitive conclusions.

So it certainly appears kids are safer, but hard science on it seems less robust.

There have been a few; I don’t think anyone denies this. But car wrecks and the flu are more potent killers on children than Covid
I just don’t have it in me to compare this to that like you are. Cold blooded bro.

I think we aren't entirely sure. Younger kids have probably been the most quarantined people with schools and day cares cancelled. A wild theory, kids with diabetes, asthma, and other conditions, are even more isolated currently.

The authors of the South Korean study admit their sample size for their under 10 population were too low to draw definitive conclusions.

So it certainly appears kids are safer, but hard science on it seems less robust.

I would guess these kids would stay isolated as their parents would opt for e-learning.

Actually they're finding that some weird version of Kawasaki Disease is hitting kids up to 25 days after they've been exposed to COVID19. 80 percent end up in the ICU and 20% of those end up on a ventilator... Is this something we want to roll the dice on for our kids???

Actually they're finding that some weird version of Kawasaki Disease is hitting kids up to 25 days after they've been exposed to COVID19. 80 percent end up in the ICU and 20% of those end up on a ventilator... Is this something we want to roll the dice on for our kids???

I haven’t heard of that? How many are getting this disease. Are we sure it’s from Covid? What is the death rate? Will masks and social distancing not prevent this?

Ya. And that’s what we know about as of now. There is so much we still don’t know.

I haven’t heard of that? How many are getting this disease. Are we sure it’s from Covid? What is the death rate? Will masks and social distancing not prevent this?
Really? We’ve known about this for months.
You still don’t understand how students behave in school. Masks and social distancing are not going to be the panacea you believe.
Opening schools is going to spread the disease. Rural hospitals are going to start finding out what they’re capable of.

Really? We’ve known about this for months.
You still don’t understand how students behave in school. Masks and social distancing are not going to be the panacea you believe.
Opening schools is going to spread the disease. Rural hospitals are going to start finding out what they’re capable of.

No, I understand that it will be hard for kids to adjust to the new standards. Won’t happen overnight. But I believe they can do it and I believe it is worth trying.

Keeping businesses open also spread the disease. We can’t just completely shut down society. Were you advocating to shut down meat packing plants? A lot of low wage workers in more cramped and dangerous workspaces than a school. Healthcare workers, grocery staffs, manufacturing and even many offices never shut down! It’s okay for teachers to go back to work. Wear a mask. Keep a distance. Be safe. No one wants sick teachers.

No, I understand that it will be hard for kids to adjust to the new standards. Won’t happen overnight. But I believe they can do it and I believe it is worth trying.

Keeping businesses open also spread the disease. We can’t just completely shut down society. Were you advocating to shut down meat packing plants? A lot of low wage workers in more cramped and dangerous workspaces than a school. Healthcare workers, grocery staffs, manufacturing and even many offices never shut down! It’s okay for teachers to go back to work. Wear a mask. Keep a distance. Be safe. No one wants sick teachers.
Yes, the meat plants needed to close until they could be tested before they came in to work.
That said,businesses are different than schools.
There is no correct answer here.
We need to get the numbers WAY down before we open up. It’s just that simple.
That can be done in six weeks. I haven’t heard a teacher yet say schools should be closed all year.

Reactions: hoosboot and 76-1

Don't have the answers to those questions but I can tell you I've been reading about these cases for the last two months...

From what I've read it's been seen here in the US and in the U.K...

Just read an article about it this morning (while browsing about three articles in piggybacked on another link (which is why I've lost the link)...

I'll dig around and see what I can and then attach it to the bottom of this thread...

^^ I did a quick google search and didn’t find much. Didn’t look like it was effecting many kids but it was an article from several months back and I really should do some actual work today.

Yes, the meat plants needed to close until they could be tested before they came in to work.
That said,businesses are different than schools.
There is no correct answer here.
We need to get the numbers WAY down before we open up. It’s just that simple.
That can be done in six weeks. I haven’t heard a teacher yet say schools should be closed all year.

I come from a family of teachers but all are retired now. My wife said all the teachers she knows want to get back ASAP, so we do agree on that.

I believe Charlestown is starting back next week. SC, Borden and Henryville two weeks after that. Hopefully it gives them enough time to prepare but if it’s determined they need a few more weeks, I’m okay with that.

^^ I did a quick google search and didn’t find much. Didn’t look like it was effecting many kids but it was an article from several months back and I really should do some actual work today.

I come from a family of teachers but all are retired now. My wife said all the teachers she knows want to get back ASAP, so we do agree on that.

I believe Charlestown is starting back next week. SC, Borden and Henryville two weeks after that. Hopefully it gives them enough time to prepare but if it’s determined they need a few more weeks, I’m okay with that.

There is no timeline for this. We have to get the numbers WAY down.
We’re doing just the opposite right now. It took 99 days for the US to get to 1 million cases. It took 15 days to go from 3 million to 4 million.
I know the argument will be “that’s because of a few states only”. That’s not true. I live in Indiana. We had our highest number of daily cases YESTERDAY.
If you look at the map, the cases are beginning to spread up and out from the south.

We are probably going to disagree on the severity of this. 250 cases and no deaths. An article from two months ago (what has happened since then). Frankly does not seem like something to worry about
Cold blooded bro

Cold blooded bro

It’s not at all. I love my kid and want her to be safe (and certainly don’t appreciate the implication I don’t) but I try to look at things practically. I’m not calling you cold blooded because you don’t want to go back to work.

Don't have the answers to those questions but I can tell you I've been reading about these cases for the last two months...

From what I've read it's been seen here in the US and in the U.K...

Just read an article about it this morning (while browsing about three articles in piggybacked on another link (which is why I've lost the link)...

I'll dig around and see what I can and then attach it to the bottom of this thread...

Here are some links:

https://www.dicardiology.com/article/kawasaki-inflammatory-disease-affects-children-covid-19

https://www.euronews.com/2020/05/24...d-its-possible-link-with-covid-19-in-children

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/daily-life-coping/children/mis-c.html

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2021680

That's an overview... I can't imagine any loving parent purposely play Russian roulette with their children so I assume that most are unaware of the real risks associated with COVID19...

In my opinion, based solely on what I consider my own "common sense"..., pushing the reopening of schools is foolish at best and if we lose a bunch of kids, perhaps even criminal...

I feel the same way about reopening the universities but in that case I see those undergrads as potential super spreaders who'll devastate their families and their friends families once the come back home...

I hope I'm wrong on both counts...

Reactions: Warison and glmiu11
Here are some links:

https://www.dicardiology.com/article/kawasaki-inflammatory-disease-affects-children-covid-19

https://www.euronews.com/2020/05/24...d-its-possible-link-with-covid-19-in-children

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/daily-life-coping/children/mis-c.html

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2021680

That's an overview... I can't imagine any loving parent purposely play Russian roulette with their children so I assume that most are unaware of the real risks associated with COVID19...

In my opinion, based solely on what I consider my own "common sense"..., pushing the reopening of schools is foolish at best and if we lose a bunch of kids, perhaps even criminal...

I feel the same way about reopening the universities but in that case I see those undergrads as potential super spreaders who'll devastate their families and their friends families once the come back home...

I hope I'm wrong on both counts...
. I don’t have time now to read the long studies you posted. How many kids have died from this? What is the rate of infection? Have more than 250 kids contracted this?

And no parent wants to play Russian roulette with their kid. That’s a dickish thing to say just because people disagree with you. I’ve read plenty on Covid in kids and have come to far different conclusions than you. Does not mean I don’t care about my kid. In my opinion suggesting otherwise crosses a line

I would guess these kids would stay isolated as their parents would opt for e-learning.

That is probably true, except it doesn't solve the problem of those parents working. Hence the need to continue the $600. And it doesn't really cover the kids with asthma that haven't been diagnosed. Poor communities have higher asthma rates than wealthier because we practice environmental discrimination as a society. So we have the problem that poor communities will be the ones needing more of the inferior learning system.

And while I say the inferior learning system, I think part of the problem is that we just haven't really learned how to teach online. I suspect we'll get better at it, so in theory 5 years from now online might be just as good. I am involved in meetings with faculty sharing what they learned from online in the spring and trying to up their game for fall. I think the gap will really close for K-12 and higher ed between online and in person. Assuming the people at the other end have adequate technology to do online.

Reactions: glmiu11
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT