ADVERTISEMENT

Was this article lifted from The Onion?

The progressives have been very critical of Biden and his tendency (in their opinion) to slam every door on them. It's why my progressive daughter calls Biden "Trump lite"

I'm not making that characterization, but rather explaining that some do in fact feel that way.

They were also frustated by Obama's "deporter in chief" philosophies

The progressives have been very critical of Biden and his tendency (in their opinion) to slam every door on them. It's why my progressive daughter calls Biden "Trump lite"

I'm not making that characterization, but rather explaining that some do in fact feel that way.

Not trying to be confrontational, but does your daughter keep her doors open to allow anyone come and go as they please?

I am always astounded how some people want open borders. I am all for immigration, legal immigration.

Again, I am not trying to pick a fight, just trying understand her thought process, if you have any insight. TIA!

Did the administration ever change the tariff stance?
Honestly, don't know the answer to that question. My supposition is that Biden has quietly kept that policy to appease what's left of his union base. You know because he's "Lunchbucket Joe."

Reactions: DANC
Honestly, don't know the answer to that question. My supposition is that Biden has quietly kept that policy to appease what's left of his union base. You know because he's "Lunchbucket Joe."
Most Democrats do not have a problem with tariffs. In fact that was typically a move from the left. They just didnt like the guy doing negotiating. Because hes a buffoon.

You do know that those Obama era numbers were inflated from previous administrations don't you?

University of Wisconsin to remove racist rock from campus.

Oh wait, that’s not from the onion either....
Madison is the "land of the perrpetually offended". This seems to indicate that they are running short on things to be offended about?

Immigration in an interesting one for me personally as a “moderate liberal.” (I guess) Why? We started looking to buy property, live, etc. abroad. Almost impossible. Even if you’re willing to dump money into a real estate economy. We could get into Portugal with 500K condo investment, 7 years, and passing a test in Portuguese.

Seems like that should be a reciprocal for those coming here. Maybe it is to some extent, but living in Chicago it sure doesn’t seem that way.

I’m open to being told why/if I’m an idiot on this.

Last edited:
Reactions: mcmurtry66
Immigration in an interesting one for me personally as a “moderate liberal.” (I guess) Why? We started looking to buy property, live, etc. abroad. Almost impossible. Even if you’re willing to dump money into a real estate economy. We could get into Portugal with 500K condo investment, 7 years, and passing a test in Portuguese.

Seems like that should be a reciprocal for those coming here. Maybe it is to some extent, but living in Chicago it sure doesn’t seem that way.

I’m open to being told why I’m an idiot on this.
One of my closest buddies is retiring home to Portugal. Great spot, comparatively inexpensive, but no longer a hidden gem. People are moving there like crazy. Beautiful place.

Is DeSantis the Governor over there, too?

:D
DeSantis is Fing up so they're moving there from Florida. Actually I have no idea if people are moving to Portugal. He's a native that goes on and on about how glorious it is and how "it's been found out" as the hot spot in Europe and "everybody's" going there. So I'm taking him at his hot tempered word.

Vacation spot not sure about moving.

• Haha
Reactions: Bulk VanderHuge

I’m open to being told why/if I’m an idiot on this.
Try getting a visa or apply for citizenship in Switzerland. Same deal - pass a language test, prove you can support yourself, and pass a cultural test.

You're not an idiot on this - just on the other stuff. 😄

One of my closest buddies is retiring home to Portugal. Great spot, comparatively inexpensive, but no longer a hidden gem. People are moving there like crazy. Beautiful place.
One of the poorest countries in Europe. So, it is cheap to live there.

I'd prefer Italy.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
DeSantis is Fing up so they're moving there from Florida. Actually I have no idea if people are moving to Portugal. He's a native that goes on and on about how glorious it is and how "it's been found out" as the hot spot in Europe and "everybody's" going there. So I'm taking him at his hot tempered word.

Vacation spot not sure about moving.

Have you seen the Portuguese women?

Try getting a visa or apply for citizenship in Switzerland. Same deal - pass a language test, prove you can support yourself, and pass a cultural test.

You're not an idiot on this - just on the other stuff. 😄
Give us your rich, your smart, your self-sufficient. Send your huddled masses to the US - the French fooled them!

Give us your rich, your smart, your self-sufficient. Send your huddled masses to the US - the French fooled them!
I have a friend in Switzerlan who marrie an American 25 years ago. She's lived there and become a Swiss citizen - dual citizenships.

For some strange reason (her, i suppose), they decided to move to the US and he applied for US citizenship. He's a high end IT consultant and makes plenty of money. He applied over 3 years ago and is still waiting to hear back. In the meantime, he is REQUIRED to live outside th US until he gets citizenship.

Tell me what sense any of that makes.

I have a friend in Switzerlan who marrie an American 25 years ago. She's lived there and become a Swiss citizen - dual citizenships.

For some strange reason (her, i suppose), they decided to move to the US and he applied for US citizenship. He's a high end IT consultant and makes plenty of money. He applied over 3 years ago and is still waiting to hear back. In the meantime, he is REQUIRED to live outside th US until he gets citizenship.

Tell me what sense any of that makes.
It doesn't. And I don't think you're getting the whole story. If she's a US citizen and their marriage is legit, he should be able to come here with her as a conditional permanent resident relatively easily. Removing the conditions, obtaining a work permit, and becoming a citizen would come afterwards, of course.

It doesn't. And I don't think you're getting the whole story. If she's a US citizen and their marriage is legit, he should be able to come here with her as a conditional permanent resident relatively easily. Removing the conditions, obtaining a work permit, and becoming a citizen would come afterwards, of course.
There's nothing else going on. It's about as straight up legit as it gets. They've been married for over 25 years and he has a green card.

The bureaucracy is just that slow.

There's nothing else going on. It's about as straight up legit as it gets. They've been married for over 25 years and he has a green card.

The bureaucracy is just that slow.
He has a green card but has to stay out of the country??? That's bizarro world. I don't think you're getting the story right.

He has a green card but has to stay out of the country??? That's bizarro world. I don't think you're getting the story right.
If he has applied for citizenship he has to stay out. He used to travel all the time to the US.

You're right - it's bizarre, but talk to anyone who has applied for US citizenship.

If he has applied for citizenship he has to stay out. He used to travel all the time to the US.

Okay, now I think I follow. (My wife is Canadian. I had to get really familiar with immigration processes and procedures to have any kind of chance to pull that off legally and above board. IANAL, but we got through it rather painlessly once we figured it out.)

I think they screwed up (or got bad advice). He never should have applied for citizenship from Switzerland. He should have just come over with his wife and applied for permanent residency. With her being a US citizen, and presumably having the financial wherewithal or backing to be able to guarantee he would not be an economic burden, that would have been no big deal. She would be his "sponsor" and would essentially be responsible for him. He should have been granted conditional permanent residency status almost immediately. That also immediately starts the process for getting a green card (I suspect the ones he's had before were limited in place and time).

After a time, you can then apply to have the conditions removed and become a full blown permanent resident. At that point, he's home free. Not yet a citizen, but has all the rights and protections of a citizen (as long as he doesn't commit major felonies or traffic drugs or do terrorist type stuff) except for voting, sitting on a jury, certain jobs, public office, etc. That's as far as my wife ever went. (She won't renounce her Canadian citizenship, and the US requires that as part of the oath.)

After another period of time, you then apply for full citizenship. The reason he's having to wait so long there is because he chose not to go through all the preliminary steps. Yes, I can understand why it's taking as long as it is. But the rulz is the rulz.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT