ADVERTISEMENT

Ware will have a big impact far beyond his season in Bloomington

He is easy to recognize. Playing well so far. Needs to get strong and finish through contact, but man did he hit some impressive shots tonight.

Reactions: Vern Pain
if he continues to progress, the recruiting implications will be huge for Woodson. taking someone who had a very disappointing freshman year and getting him to reach his potential. t will resonate big time with high schoolers and portal guys
That last play to seal the game was great. He looked like he jumped about 10 feet to block that pass. Haven’t seen sports center top 10 but wouldn’t be surprised if it’s on there.

if he continues to progress, the recruiting implications will be huge for Woodson. taking someone who had a very disappointing freshman year and getting him to reach his potential. t will resonate big time with high schoolers and portal guys
I mean, Queen has to see this. To hell with Willard, 70 year old KS and Ku. Come to IU and keep the trend going.

Reactions: Bucket Getter
Why did Ware only play 24 minutes?
And why is he not shooting more 3 pointers? He’s hitting at a 55% clip right now.

Why did Ware only play 24 minutes?
And why is he not shooting more 3 pointers? He’s hitting at a 55% clip right now.
2 fouls in the 1st half, cost him a few minutes, and Reneau took things over for a stretch mid 2nd half and Woodson kept that group on the floor a little longer than he normally would it seemed.

was that a little hook shot i saw last night? he needs to work on that and perfect it. unstoppable!

It became evident Ware was going to be impressive the moment he donned the candy stripes. He just seems to have a God-given knack for finding the basket in a meaningful way. Maybe the “low motor” tag leading to a prolonged sit upon the Oregon pines was the wooden chip on the shoulder he needed for inspiration. So far, he’s been a nice success story, one of the surprises of college basketball, 2023-24 edition.

Reactions: GeorgeStrait IU
Ware is fun to watch! Going to be a monster player.

People were saying things such as low motor or loafing at his old school, where others said, no way, that he just tentative with what his old coach wanted. I'm not seeing any loafing!

I'm definitely seeing a guy who is about winning and finding ways to help his team, without being afraid to be the man.

Last edited:
People were saying things such as low motor or loafing at his ld school, where others said, no way, that he just tentative with what his old coach wanted. I'm not seeing any loafing!
Definitely a poor narrative. Reality is that Oregon had not one, but two upperclassmen 5* C in front of Ware. N'Faly Dante was 1st team All-Pac 12 last year and Nathan Bittle was pretty damn good in his own right. Change of scenery has definitely benefitted Ware, but he played extremely well last year in games he got extended minutes.

The start Ware has had to this season is a much bigger indictment on Dana Altman than the dumb narratives that were pushed regarding Kel'el Ware. It was Altman who publicly questioned his motor and drive and the media ran with it.

Definitely a poor narrative. Reality is that Oregon had not one, but two upperclassmen 5* C in front of Ware. N'Faly Dante was 1st team All-Pac 12 last year and Nathan Bittle was pretty damn good in his own right. Change of scenery has definitely benefitted Ware, but he played extremely well last year in games he got extended minutes.

The start Ware has had to this season is a much bigger indictment on Dana Altman than the dumb narratives that were pushed regarding Kel'el Ware. It was Altman who publicly questioned his motor and drive and the media ran with it.

My son and I went to the exhibition game and after that game we thought the narrative on Ware was true but WOW, since then Ware has blown that narrative OUT OF THE WATER!

It became evident Ware was going to be impressive the moment he donned the candy stripes. He just seems to have a God-given knack for finding the basket in a meaningful way. Maybe the “low motor” tag leading to a prolonged sit upon the Oregon pines was the wooden chip on the shoulder he needed for inspiration. So far, he’s been a nice success story, one of the surprises of college basketball, 2023-24 edition.
wasn't evident to me at 1st

Altman had him practice every day, maybe lack of playing time led to poor effort, kid was 18, when your told your 2 months from the NBA and find yourself not playing it can lead to many things

was kind of worried about MM in that regard , Woodson has to walk a fine line with that type of kid

By the time I got a video link to the game, Ware was already on the beach. I assumed he got tagged for two fouls during warmup. Strange things happen on the road.

I played in a high school game in Indiana and picked up my second foul late in the second quarter. The official scorekeeper told the ref it was my fifth foul! The game was delayed big time with my coach & manager arguing at the scorer's table until the other team's manager joined them & agreed it was only my second foul. I'm also old enough to remember gyms with dead boards that only the home team knew about & random overhead lights being out. Also photographers under the basket were allowed to use flash bulbs back then so you'd be partially blind running back on defense. Ah, the good old days, lol.

By the time I got a video link to the game, Ware was already on the beach. I assumed he got tagged for two fouls during warmup. Strange things happen on the road.

I played in a high school game in Indiana and picked up my second foul late in the second quarter. The official scorekeeper told the ref it was my fifth foul! The game was delayed big time with my coach & manager arguing at the scorer's table until the other team's manager joined them & agreed it was only my second foul. I'm also old enough to remember gyms with dead boards that only the home team knew about & random overhead lights being out. Also photographers under the basket were allowed to use flash bulbs back then so you'd be partially blind running back on defense. Ah, the good old days, lol.
Picked up a foul literally on Michigan's first offensive possession. Was basically our only offense through the first two media TO's and was notably gassed at the under 12. Sparks replaced him and scored a few baskets in a 3-4 minute stretch. Ware came back in at the under 8 and picked up his 2nd on a a dumb reach in foul with about 5-6 minutes left in the half and sat the rest the way.

Altman had him practice every day, maybe lack of playing time led to poor effort, kid was 18, when your told your 2 months from the NBA and find yourself not playing it can lead to many things

was kind of worried about MM in that regard , Woodson has to walk a fine line with that type of kid
Stay sober.

"Wooden chips on the water very free and easy". Maybe that psychedelic floor gave him headaches.

Ware is fun to watch! Going to be a monster player.

People were saying things such as low motor or loafing at his old school, where others said, no way, that he just tentative with what his old coach wanted. I'm not seeing any loafing!

I'm definitely seeing a guy who is about winning and finding ways to help his team, without being afraid to be the man.
I must be missing that low motor thing I heard about. What I have seen is a guy averaging 17pts and 9 rebs who also blocks and alters shots.

Reactions: OpenWheels
B... I'm also old enough to remember gyms with dead boards that only the home team knew about ...
:D Loved that one.

I wasn't a high school player but for sure remember some of those gyms lol . I love the old wooden floors with the springy feel.

Up here where I live now (upper peninsula Michigan) hockey players tell me part of the home ice advantage is knowing the dead boards on the wall, or the bounce angle of certain spots.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT