ADVERTISEMENT

Vietnam Green Beret Interview (David Christian)

DrHoops

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Sep 7, 2001
This YouTube video of Vietnam War Veteran, David Christian, really affected me. A Green Beret who earned 3 Purple Hearts and was burned over 40% of his body by napalm in combat, he was also the youngest noncommissioned officer in Vietnam at age 18. He ran for US Senate in 2012 as a Republican and has very strong feelings about the American flag and how war protesters treated it. I guess what I'm saying is that he's really a "Reagan" Republican, and he's no loon.

After watching the video, I sent him an email telling him that as a liberal, I shared most of he opinions on Vietnam (among other things). He wrote me back saying:

"Thank You (Dr. Hoops) - your kind words and thoughts make me Happy as I read them (more than once)."
"Best, David"

The fact that he wrote back saying he had read my email more than once and it made him "happy" really meant the world to me. If you have time, watch it. It's an incredible interview with a decorated combat veteran who came back from Vietnam and was spit on, yet he still had respect for people to protest because that's what he was fighting for. What happened to him upon his return was unacceptable. I know in my family, that kind of behavior was unacceptable.

@Aloha Hoosier, this is how I imagine you in real life.

Last edited:
This YouTube video of Vietnam War Veteran, David Christian, really affected me. A Green Beret who had 3 Purple Hearts and was burned over 40% of his body by napalm in combat, he was also the youngest noncommissioned officer in Vietnam at age 18. He ran for US Senate in 2012 as a Republican and has very strong feelings about the American flag and how war protesters treated it. I guess what I'm saying is that he's really a "Reagan" Republican, and he's no loon.

After watching the video, I sent him an email telling him that as a liberal, I shared most of he opinions on Vietnam (among other things). He wrote me back saying:

"Thank You (Dr. Hoops) - your kind words and thoughts make me Happy as I read them (more than once)."
"Best, David"

The fact that he wrote back saying he had read my email more than once and it made him "happy" really meant the world to me. If you have time, watch it. It's an incredible interview with a decorated combat veteran who came back from Vietnam and was spit on, yet he still had respect for people to protest because that's what he was fighting for. What happened to him upon his return was unacceptable. I know in my family, that kind of behavior was unacceptable.

@Aloha Hoosier, this is how I imagine you in real life.
That’s nice of you, but I’m much much younger. ;)

This is the first day of six days of golf and camaraderie with a bunch of friends. I’ll be scarce, but I’ll watch that later. Heading to the first course now.

That’s nice of you, but I’m much much younger. ;)

This is the first day of six days of golf and camaraderie with a bunch of friends. I’ll be scarce, but I’ll watch that later. Heading to the first course now.
Hahaha! Not talking about your age! Just the fact that he’s a principled guy. True patriot.

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT