ADVERTISEMENT

USC/UCLA B1G?

This is the greatest thing ever. The trips to southern California will be awesome! Also, imagine the Men of Troy running out of the tunnel in Bloomington! This is a grand slam! For all the understandable hand-wringing about Maryland and Rutgers, it's been nice having built-in trips to NYC and DC on a rotating annual basis.

I can smell the ocean and the horseshit from Santa Anita/Del Mar already! Fingers crossed!

My guess is we go to 20 to 24 before this is through. 4 pods. Supposedly Oregon is already talking to the B1G. In the least, the 4 Cali schools, Washington and Oregon to 20. If 24 add Colorado, two ACC teams (NC and Virginia) and one bonus after ND says no.

Reactions: vesuvius13
My guess is we go to 20 to 24 before this is through. 4 pods. Supposedly Oregon is already talking to the B1G. In the least, the 4 Cali schools, Washington and Oregon to 20. If 24 add Colorado, two ACC teams (NC and Virginia) and one bonus after ND says no.
When this happens, I seriously think the Big Ten and SEC should merge. Take the resultant super conference and divide it into (roughly geographical) quarters. You play all (or as many as possible) teams in your quarter. At the end of the regular season, championship matchups between teams in different quarters are announced, to be played at special (read: warm weather) sites.

Fox is driving this, and B1G expansion is not done. Fox will decide alignments and scheduling. West coast games will start at 4-6 pm Pacific Time. Some games on Fridays.

Last edited:
Academically, the four California schools would raise the bar in the Big 10 quite a bit, and it’s already a pretty high bar. Financially, it would be a mixed bag, though there are some extremely wealthy alumni bases connected to each of those four schools.

Any school taking out more money from the conference than they’re bringing in needs to start being concerned. Really, really concerned. This is an evolutionary process that will eventually have some victims. The academic ties of the conference can continue if the athletic ones are severed. Never, ever believe otherwise.

Go Hoosiers.

I’d love to see the University of Chicago get back on the horse and rejoin the Big Ten, playing at Soldier Field, becoming its premier tenant after the Bears leave for their new digs in Arlington Heights.

They could play Notre Dame in conference for the Annual Stagg-Rockne Trophy.

4 4 team pods, then rotate the other 4/5 games with a protected rival if needed.

Ours would likely be Purdue and the Michigans.

OSU, PSU, Rutgers, Maryland

Illinois NW Wisky Minny

Iowa Nebraska USC UCLA.
I can't imagine Iowa would agree to give up Minnesota and Wisconsin for USC and UCLA.

Word is it’s a done deal. Now would be a good opportunity for Indiana to look elsewhere for a conference in which it can compete and even win a lot.
Absolutely.
The time is now to get to the AAC. It’s a great fit for a school like IU. BIG 10 has become too big for IU. IU is more aligned with schools like Memphis and USF.

Cut a deal with Notre Dame and allow them to keep their home games deal with NBC. All their away games *will* be televised playing in the new Big Ten.

Add Pitt - good school, locks up the (I believe) fifth most populous state.

Then poach Stanford and Cal. Two high prestige universities, with varying amounts of success over the years, but are used to competing at the highest level. Essentially puts all of California in the Big Ten and creates opportunities for easier travel for that bloc of teams.

Rename the conference the Big Score.
Fu__ Notre Dame

Is this football and basketball only, or does it go to lesser sports. I'm sure someone has looked at this, but what economic sense does it make for Rutgers cor Maryland to send their Men's or Women's baseball or golf teams to the West Coast for in Conference games or Competition? With respect to football withe scheduling as it already is We may go 6 or 7 years without seeing a particular School in Bloomington. This further dilutes the value of in Conference Rivalries.

Is this football and basketball only, or does it go to lesser sports. I'm sure someone has looked at this, but what economic sense does it make for Rutgers cor Maryland to send their Men's or Women's baseball or golf teams to the West Coast for in Conference games or Competition? With respect to football withe scheduling as it already is We may go 6 or 7 years without seeing a particular School in Bloomington. This further dilutes the value of in Conference Rivalries.
College sports are over as we know it in exchange for an extra 60 million per year.

Why would a pac-10 team want to play half of their games in the cold Midwest. This is a terrible idea not to mention the long commute.

Reactions: IUgradman and IU73
There will be no divisions and no conference championship game. Playoff will be expanded so they need that extra week. This is not speculation but from friends coaching in different Power 5 conferences

Reactions: 76-1 and vesuvius13
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT