ADVERTISEMENT

US Women’s Soccer

Agree on baseball. Exceedingly boring. Almost like watching checkers or chess. :confused:

I get what you're saying about high-level club soccer. They still don't score much. Foul a lot, crowd the box. I think I've seen enough to understand plenty of the nuance.

I am watching the cricket world cup (once every 4 yrs) at the moment. The strategy and tactics way outstrip whatever baseball can throw at you.
I don't know squat about cricket rules. Seems weird that one team can win 423-6.

Yes, that's what I'm talking about. When that happens often enough to have 9-8 score lines, then they've got the rules right.

But that's going back to my NBA versus NCAA games comparison. When there are too many goals then it gets boring. Sure I enjoy a 5-4 game but there has to be some drama -- I remember watching a match my club was down 0-3 at half time. But after some choice words by the manager and some tactical changes. we came back and won 5-3.

the thrill of victory... and the agony of defeat... the human drama of athletic competition

I remember my club was losing to Bayern Munich 0-1 till the 89th minute. (And it was a crap quality match.) But they came back to score 2 goals in the dying minutes of the match to win the Europeans Champion's League Final. I couldn't sleep that night.

The guy carrying the Cup had already tied the winning colours of the German club's colors onto the Cup as he walked down the stadium for the winner's presentation. He had to rush back up to change them.

Point is that you don't judge the match just on goals. The goalie could be fantastic and was stopping every shot thrown at him. (The current goalie of my club is being paid $300K/week and he's rumoured to be asking for a raise to 500k/week.)

Last edited:
The whole athletes going to the White House has become such a political mission and useless anyway. They are athletes no more no less . Now we have invites to the house of reps by AOC. Aren't we paying these people a lot of money to actually do things besides getting to meet athletes?

The whole athletes going to the White House has become such a political mission and useless anyway. They are athletes no more no less . Now we have invites to the house of reps by AOC. Aren't we paying these people a lot of money to actually do things besides getting to meet athletes?
Tweet nonstop?

Any idea why the women’s US team is so much better than the men’s? In discussing with my Fourth of July group, best we could come up with is that male athletes opt into another sport as teenagers.
I personally think it’s rather self explanatory. The women in the US don’t stand to make a ton of money playing professional sports compared to the men. The women do it almost exclusively for the love of the game and competition. The best US athletes stick with the sports with the highest earning potential for the most part. The Asians and Europeans do the same, except they stand to make big money in soccer/football so their best athletes stick to it.

I personally think it’s rather self explanatory. The women in the US don’t stand to make a ton of money playing professional sports compared to the men. The women do it almost exclusively for the love of the game and competition. The best US athletes stick with the sports with the highest earning potential for the most part. The Asians and Europeans do the same, except they stand to make big money in soccer/football so their best athletes stick to it.

There's not the money in pro women's soccer for other countries to develop great teams/develop talent. US has Title IX and the high school/college system and all the football TV money trickling down where women's collegiate soccer gets a little $$$.

See I referred to a general point and you of course made it all about Trump. Obama did nothing for 8 years but cause problems yet that doesn't seem to bother you at all
Your point of view doesn't seem to be shared by many. Most polls find him to be the most admired man in the world, by a fair margin.

She's on the same level as a high school male
4:1
She's so well prepared and super soccer intelligent - as are all US women who play at that level. Athletically, perhaps the best high school boys compare favorably, but the experience, toughness, level of competition and preparation far, far exceed any mail athlete in the high school age range. Remember what RMK said (and Texas Tech basketball now uses as their moto), "mental is to physical as 4 is to 1".

One thing it says is the European all stars might give the US women a good game.
Highly doubt it. This is a TEAM working together like a machine. European all stars couldn't mold and bond as our women do without being together a long time.

Tweet nonstop?
See I referred to a general point and you of course made it all about Trump. Obama did nothing for 8 years but cause problems yet that doesn't seem to bother you at all
I’m interested in what kind of trouble you think President Obama caused, because you’re right. I missed the daily scandals that he caused. Mustard and the tan suit are the big ones I can think of. And you’re right. They didn’t bother me much.

The truth bubble? You make a crack about Obama playing golf. You then lied and said it was a general point and I brought Trump into it. I know Trumpsters don’t like facts. But I thought I might save you the embarrassment of making this point about President Obama when clearly Donnie wastes much more time playing golf. Not to mention tweeting and watching Fox.

4:1
She's so well prepared and super soccer intelligent - as are all US women who play at that level. Athletically, perhaps the best high school boys compare favorably, but the experience, toughness, level of competition and preparation far, far exceed any mail athlete in the high school age range. Remember what RMK said (and Texas Tech basketball now uses as their moto), "mental is to physical as 4 is to 1".

You severely underestimate the physical differences. Google the FC Dallas scrimmage. There are several instances of other national teams suffering the same.

That being said, it’s nice that the US has one great soccer team. We aren’t going to see one on the men’s side for a long time, if ever.

Mustard and the tan suit are the big ones I can think of. And you’re right. They didn’t bother me much.
Putting Dijon mustard on a dog is unAmerican. He should have been impeached, removed from office, and sent back to Kenya.

The truth bubble? You make a crack about Obama playing golf. You then lied and said it was a general point and I brought Trump into it. I know Trumpsters don’t like facts. But I thought I might save you the embarrassment of making this point about President Obama when clearly Donnie wastes much more time playing golf. Not to mention tweeting and watching Fox.
Zeke, are you posting all this on your own or do the school systems know ? You would be under severe issues in my system

Reactions: stollcpa
Zeke, are you posting all this on your own or do the school systems know ? You would be under severe issues in my system
You don’t even know what I do. . And what does it mean to be under severe issues? Lol. No wonder you like Trump, you talk just like him.

Any idea who our new buddy glidesquirrel used to be? Pretty sure he reminds me of someone from a ways back. You know, all the scintillating additions to the discussion and all.
Does SNU still post? I put him on Ignore some time ago.

Any idea who our new buddy glidesquirrel used to be? Pretty sure he reminds me of someone from a ways back. You know, all the scintillating additions to the discussion and all.
You are so insightful with what you have to say, as long as everyone agrees with you right? You remind me of lots of people that have their agenda and love to post about stuff as long as you agree with it but get upset when challenged because you have nothing to actually say

I’m interested in what kind of trouble you think President Obama caused, because you’re right. I missed the daily scandals that he caused. Mustard and the tan suit are the big ones I can think of. And you’re right. They didn’t bother me much.

Obama did a lot of good things which is why I voted for him the second time through. He also had issues including failing in trade, apologizing for being American and the biggie: he created trump.

Reactions: glidresquirrel
giphy.gif

Let's stick to football/soccer and discuss it at a global/cultural level.

An interesting book I read a while ago. Its somewhere around the house here:

How Soccer Explains the World
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/How_Soccer_Explains_the_World

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/10395.How_Soccer_Explains_the_World

For you lazy fecks:

tbf football has changed dramatically now with major investments into various clubs around the world. The tickets have gone up dramatically. I have paid 1.50pds as a kid and now the cheap tickets are 48pds. As a result, there are no fights as the riff-raffs have been priced and filtered out.

You’re better than this
WHen a guy's been pulling the wool over his own eyes, ignoring that the official he elected is a serial sexual predator and a pathological liar, thriving in the rising stock market (was going up anyway), and then reality hits like a hundred-ton anvil, it sucks.

LIstened for a couple minutes. In short, what he's describing is spectatorism and its various ramifications. In the US, politics has become a team sport, two teams to choose from, pick and watch. Spectatorism. The only goal is to win. That's why Trumplets are so happy. They're on a four-year win. Probably the longest winning streak most of them have ever had. Then they come here are argue bullshit till they're blue in teh face because they're simply mindlessly cheerleading.

It goes beyond spectatorism. Its culture religion, tribalism, economic/geographical classes etc. It can explain Brexit, Trumpism etc in some ways even though it was written over 15yrs ago.

It goes beyond spectatorism. Its culture religion, tribalism, economic/geographical classes etc. It can explain Brexit, Trumpism etc in some ways even though it was written over 15yrs ago.
That's what spectatorism explains. In game theory, there are three roles: creator, player, and spectator.

Religion has God/ministers, minions, and the fold.
Economics has owners, workers, and consumers.
Politics has legislators, executors, and citizens.

It's a continuum from cause to effect.

When your team wins, you're happy effect, when it loses, you're sad effect. People break the law when they're at the adverse effect of the game they're living and stop agreeing with the rules.

Trump wins by refusing to accept loss. It's actually served pretty well in life even though he sooner or later trounces on everyone around him, including those who think they're on his team.

Civilization is a game created by people who want everyone to win in some fashion. Trump couldn't care less about anyone else winning, which is uncivilized, that is, not in agreement with the basic tenet of civilization, everyone wins.

It's not that good conservatives want others to lose, it's that they don't conceive of the game as win-win. They have to win at someone else's expense. When Americans, for example, play with that attitude on the world scene, the rest of the civilized world resents it. Of course, the rest of the civilized world resents Trump. By definition of civilization. Trump is a paragon of uncivilized behavior. He calls it America First, but in his mind, that means at the expense of the rest of the world, which must lose for Trump to win.

Reactions: sglowrider
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT