ADVERTISEMENT

US Women’s Soccer

Great team! They did it the “American Way”. Cocky and arrogant. Love it!
I don't claim to know a damn thing about soccer, but to me it looked like the Dutch goalie got pwned on those two shots.

I don't claim to know a damn thing about soccer, but to me it looked like the Dutch goalie got pwned on those two shots.

I don’t know much either. Love to watch Women’s and Men’s World Cups. Our women might have both the best and second best teams in the world. Would be a great game to watch the US starters against the subs.

Megan Rapinoe is a stud. She could teach our men a thing or two.

Great team! They did it the “American Way”. Cocky and arrogant. Love it!

I hear this from commentators frequently.

I just don't see it. Confident for sure, but arrogant and cocky?

Got the feeling, women athletes are supposed to be demure and humble in the minds of some.

Reactions: meridian
I hear this from commentators frequently.

I just don't see it. Confident for sure, but arrogant and cocky?

Got the feeling, women athletes are supposed to be demure and humble in the minds of some.

Not asking them to be demure and humble. They’re confident, cocky and arrogant. Can’t win if you don’t think you can.

The only thing not so cool was their goal celebrations against Thailand while winning 11-0.

Rapinoe turned down a WHite House visit in advance, which Trump immediately disrespected via Twitter, said she should win first. (SHe actually only answered a reporter's question.) Since Rapinoe snubbed Trump, she scored the only two US goals in two games in a row and the winning goal here. Ra[pinoe 1 - Trump 0. Maybe Trump should STFU until they lose.

Btw, AOC invited them to the House. AOC 1 - Trump 0.

Reactions: Ohio Guy
I don’t know much either. Love to watch Women’s and Men’s World Cups. Our women might have both the best and second best teams in the world. Would be a great game to watch the US starters against the subs.

Megan Rapinoe is a stud. She could teach our men a thing or two.
I said that this trip to several people - and I do know something about the game - the two best teams in the world are US starters and the 12 non-starters. The will to prepare to win! They did it! Who said it?

Reactions: stollcpa
Loved that Rosie Lavelle scored today. Cincinnati girl with a great heart. She’ll get the key to the city soon.
Rose is our next super star but not tomorrow. Right now. She started on a team from Lakota, btw.

Those two goals were scored - one on a penalty - by two of the top players in the world.

Any idea why the women’s US team is so much better than the men’s? In discussing with my Fourth of July group, best we could come up with is that male athletes opt into another sport as teenagers.

Rose is our next super star but not tomorrow. Right now. She started on a team from Lakota, btw.
Yep, but she moved up to CU pretty early. My son played for CU. Well it said that on the uni but that’s about where the similarity ended. ;)

Any idea why the women’s US team is so much better than the men’s? In discussing with my Fourth of July group, best we could come up with is that male athletes opt into another sport as teenagers.

That might be part of it. I think it has more to do with female team sports is not very developed in most of the world. Men compete in a talent pool that is much more competitive and balanced. US females look good because our system provides them a higher level of training and experience than the rest of the world. Women’s ice hockey is similar.

That might be part of it. I think it has more to do with female team sports is not very developed in most of the world. Men compete in a talent pool that is much more competitive and balanced. US females look good because our system provides them a higher level of training and experience than the rest of the world. Women’s ice hockey is similar.

Yes, the men's international game has more competition. Take nothing away from the US women, they are studs.

Do you see the size of the crowd tonight for two teams playing what is essentially the NIT?

It's an indicator of how far advanced the US is over other countries in treating women fairly, starting with Title IX if not before.

This team makes soccer somewhat exciting, something the rules make it very hard to do. The Netherlands tried to play chicken defense ball. It was great after the US scored. Floodgates blew open, the US even had a few point-blank opportunities the Dutch goalie stoned. Pity the Dutch didn't show courage from the start. They had no chance when they had to score a goal. Soccer rules will never change unfortunately. Non-Americans love boring ball.

My theory about US men's football/soccer.

1) They seem to believe in getting the best athlete available. Its more muscular an approach to the game. The technical skills are severely lacking and this I blame the coaching.
2) The American coaching fraternity seems to prescribe an anachronistic style of play -- which is hoof ball. Maybe its they were taught at coaching classes. Its very 70s-90s an approach to football/soccer. The most successful America football coach, Bruce Arena was in charge of the English Premier League club -- he was sacked within 3 months.
I see this a lot at NCAA levels. There is very poor movement off the ball. Its always about running down the wings and the crossing or whenever a defender gets a ball, he hoofs it forward. Its painful to watch

Below are illustrations of how the game is being played -- even at U18 (kids) level. Look at the movements off the ball:

Then look at the women's game:

3) I also see an element of American football in how they see the game being played -- nevermind how American commentators report and see a football/soccer match. (It may be indicative of how they think the game is played.) It's horrendous. (I prefer Mexican commentators to the past American commentators.)

They see it as a start-stop sort of flow to a game. It isnt. Its like an opera where it ebbs & flows. I suspect its how Americans like their entertainment -- start-stop with commercial breaks in-between.

I just cant see how the game can grow when the quality of play is so poor at the MLS level. The fans of the NW and Atlanta are great though.

Its really boring to watch -- even IU.

Last edited:
It's an indicator of how far advanced the US is over other countries in treating women fairly, starting with Title IX if not before.

This team makes soccer somewhat exciting, something the rules make it very hard to do. The Netherlands tried to play chicken defense ball. It was great after the US scored. Floodgates blew open, the US even had a few point-blank opportunities the Dutch goalie stoned. Pity the Dutch didn't show courage from the start. They had no chance when they had to score a goal. Soccer rules will never change unfortunately. Non-Americans love boring ball.

I disagree. Soccer provides sporting opportunities for American women when they are in their youth. But the best women's soccer teams where they can make a decent living are all in Europe. So what does that say?

Reactions: anon_mlxxvlbug9dpa
We don't agree much, but I agree with this sentiment. I hate it when people get all butthurt about athletes being proud - and yes, even cocky - about their success. It's a damn game. Let them have fun. It's refreshing.

"Butthurt" belongs in the thread about buzzwords which makes a reader wonder why he stopped by The Cooler.

I disagree. Soccer provides sporting opportunities for American women when they are in their youth. But the best women's soccer teams where they can make a decent living are all in Europe. So what does that say?

One thing it says is the European all stars might give the US women a good game.

My theory about US men's football/soccer.

1) They seem to believe in getting the best athlete available. Its more muscular an approach to the game. The technical skills are severely lacking and this I blame the coaching.
2) The American coaching fraternity seems to prescribe an anachronistic style of play -- which is hoof ball. Maybe its they were taught at coaching classes. Its very 70s-90s an approach to football/soccer. The most successful America football coach, Bruce Arena was in charge of the English Premier League club -- he was sacked within 3 months.
I see this a lot at NCAA levels. There is very poor movement off the ball. Its always about running down the wings and the crossing or whenever a defender gets a ball, he hoofs it forward. Its painful to watch

Below are illustrations of how the game is being played -- even at U18 (kids) level. Look at the movements off the ball:

Then look at the women's game:

3) I also see an element of American football in how they see the game being played -- nevermind how American commentators report and see a football/soccer match. (It may be indicative of how they think the game is played.) It's horrendous. (I prefer Mexican commentators to the past American commentators.)

They see it as a start-stop sort of flow to a game. It isnt. Its like an opera where it ebbs & flows. I suspect its how Americans like their entertainment -- start-stop with commercial breaks in-between.

I just cant see how the game can grow when the quality of play is so poor at the MLS level. The fans of the NW and Atlanta are great though.

Its really boring to watch -- even IU.
Aside from all the rules making soccer boring and low scoring, what I see is that the game is far too slow. I think a revolution will occur when some team realizes the power of fast ball movement.

One thing it says is the European all stars might give the US women a good game.

Probably but the best player in the world is a Norwegian, and not American despite them dominating the last two WC. She refused to play in this WC because she wanted to make a political stance -- equal pay.

I haven't followed that trend but European teams are clearly catching up and the US hasn't won every time.

Aside from all the rules making soccer boring and low scoring, what I see is that the game is far too slow. I think a revolution will occur when some team realizes the power of fast ball movement.

Thats what i mean about how they see things. Its like a Sly Staylone movie versus an opera. Constant action versus like an opera with different acts.

Me -- I prefer watching NCAA basketball versus NBA where the guys never miss and there is marginally some defense. Thats a close analogue of how I like to be entertained -- no need for visual action every second. A 0-0 draw can be very tense and dramatic despite not having goals.

Its a reflection of human frailties/condition -- mistakes/corrections and come-backs rather than some super-human efforts constantly but in bursts.

It also goes back to how Americans identify with their teams. Football/soccer is tribal and part of their personal identity. Sports in America is different -- compare the difference between Hoosier fans versus Colts fans? The level of passion towards the two respective teams is vastly different -- with the exception of the venerable Outside Shooter and his fav Patriots.

Soccer fans are more like Hoosier fans -- we will appreciate the RMK's motion offense despite it of being quite boring to watch. Its the equivalent of the tiki-taka possession approach/style of play by Pep Guardiola of then Barcelona.)

Last edited:
Thats what i mean about how they see things. Its like a Sly Staylone movie versus an opera. Constant action versus like an opera with different acts.

Me -- I prefer watching NCAA basketball versus NBA where the guys never miss and there is marginally some defense. Thats a close analogue of how I like to be entertained -- no need for visual action every second. A 0-0 draw can be very tense and dramatic despite not having goals.

Its a reflection of human frailties/condition -- mistakes/corrections and come-backs rather than some super-human efforts constantly but in bursts.

It also goes back to how Americans identify with their teams. Football/soccer is tribal and part of their personal identity. Sports in America is different -- compare the difference between Hoosier fans versus Colts fans? The level of passion towards the two respective teams is vastly different -- with the exception of the venerable Outside Shooter and his fav Patriots.

Soccer fans are more like Hoosier fans -- we will appreciate the RMK's motion offense despite it of being quite boring to watch. Its the equivalent of the tiki-taka possession approach/style of play by Pep Guardiola of then Barcelona.)
Don't think you're getting my vision. I'm talking about execution at such a high speed it's a symphony.

What you're describing in your human drama I see as a comedy of errors compounded by incessant fouling (they don't even call most of them) and gradually exhausted bodies. You talk about lack of off-ball movement, d'oh! -- they're saving energy because of the idiotic rule that you can sub players in and out.

Hockey's the perfect example of the drama you're talking about without idiotic rules.

I could maybe agree with your position if soccer teams couldn't close down the game on defense. BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG. That's not drama, that's chiickenshit.

Don't think you're getting my vision. I'm talking about execution at such a high speed it's a symphony.

What you're describing in your human drama I see as a comedy of errors compounded by incessant fouling (they don't even call most of them) and gradually exhausted bodies. You talk about lack of off-ball movement, d'oh! -- they're saving energy because of the idiotic rule that you can sub players in and out.

Hockey's the perfect example of the drama you're talking about without idiotic rules.

I could maybe agree with your position if soccer teams couldn't close down the game on defense. BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG. That's not drama, that's chiickenshit.

who do you watch/as exam[ple as slow? I watch football weekly and mainly the EPL -- several matches a week since I was a child.

who do you watch/as exam[ple as slow? I watch football weekly and mainly the EPL -- several matches a week since I was a child.
Men's world cup when it happens. And the olympics. Don't watch much otherwise. Way too boring.

Forgot to mention all the flopping above.

I'd allow subbing. Count fouls on each player and you can foul out, but can be replaced (not like red card). And so on.

Lavelle's goal with foreign commentator:

Speaking of non-stop fouls, look how she's taken down after her kick.

Also look at her amazing stutter step before kicking the goal.

Last edited:
Men's world cup when it happens. And the olympics. Don't watch much otherwise. Way too boring.

Forgot to mention all the flopping above.

I'd allow subbing. Count fouls on each player and you can foul out, but can be replaced (not like red card). And so on.

Haha... I rarely watch Men's WC or the Olympics. So I agree with you there.

IMO national team matches are poor simply because they gather like a couple of weeks prior to the tournaments. As a result, the coaches have to undo a season's worth of each of his players' muscle memoried(sp?) learnings into that two weeks which is impossible. So they play basic tactics and by-in-large are not very entertaining -- with the exception of the last WC in Russia.
nervous.gif

If you arent interested in a sport or have little knowledge of it, most folks wont understand the nuances. You need to have skin in the game.

My boring sport to watch is baseball and Aussie Rules Football. Baseball because its just play boring unless you are there watching but that requires you to be inebriated. I much prefer to watch cricket. Like checkers versus chess.

Aussie Rules Football is just silly. Grown men in cut off sleeve shirts running around mindlessly kicking a oval-shaped ball with no particular strategy other than to hit each other (and I used to play rugby with a similarly shaped ball.)

Skin in the game will as I said before requiring some allegiance. There is some emotional investment which then forces you to understand the game better and appreciating the COH thingy.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT