ADVERTISEMENT

US Open prize money was insane today

I didn't realize that players who do not make the cut still make $10,000.00. Unlike a regular tour event where you get nothing if you miss the cut. Evansville's Dylan Meyer made a nice check in what I believe was his first professional outing.

Reactions: crossfire74
I didn't realize that players who do not make the cut still make $10,000.00. Unlike a regular tour event where you get nothing if you miss the cut. Evansville's Dylan Meyer made a nice check in what I believe was his first professional outing.

I don't know the workings of a PGA Tour Event but I thought I remembered hearing there was an entrance or registration fee the golfers pay when they register to play an event; is that right? Doesn't seem so with all the prize money and the tournament directors trying to get the best field, but I swore I heard that somewhere.

We grade on a curve, eh?
Hot-Bikinis-Sexy-Swimsuits-For-Summer-2015-14.jpg

Poor Tony Finau:

U.S. Open 2018: How Tony Finau cost himself $200K at No. 18 on Sunday

June 18, 2018 8:54am EDT

Tony Finau's double-bogey to close Sunday dropped him from a tie for third at the U.S. Open (worth some $691,000) to fifth ($474,659).
tony-finau_1lz7zmynhecvo14ivljpno3mkw.jpg

Tony Finau (Getty Images)

Bob Hille Omnisport @bobhille

Published on Jun. 18, 2018

A bogey here, a double-bogey there and pretty soon you're talking real money.

In fact, Tony Finau’s double-bogey Sunday on the 72nd hole of the U.S. Open cost him more than $200,000.

Here's how: Finau, 28, started the 18th hole Sunday at Shinnecock Hills tied for third with Dustin Johnson. That tie would've meant Finau and Johnson would split the third- and fourth-place money, each getting some $691,000. Instead, Finau found trouble off the tee, carded a bruising 6 on the par-4 and fell to fifth place alone.

Fifth-place payout (per GolfDigest.com): $474,659.

Finau's only PGA Tour win came at the 2016 Puerto Rican Open, where he pocketed $540,000.

Still, Sunday's finish marked his first top-five finish in a major, and that's priceless, right? Right?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT