ADVERTISEMENT

UNC game will be the most expensive ticket in IU history

Cavanagh

Hall of Famer
Mar 1, 2012
The most expensive ticket to date was 2/2/13 at home against MI. That was a wild ticket environment. I even met one of the biggest hoosier fans @eddy4iu because of it :)!!

This UNC game is insane. My friend that is a big broker has sold all of his tickets except bleacher seats behind the visiting bench, which I told him to put for 5k each. I traded the same broker 6 of my season tickets, 4 in C40, and 2 in J17. He sold them already for $600 and $1000 each respectively. For anyone that thinks the players don't deserve money, these figures should make you question that. The amount of money that will be spent to watch IU basketball this year will be astronomical. Of course a piece of that money spent should go to the people playing the game. Just seems silly people ever thought differently to me.

Reactions: eddy4iu and kkott
The most expensive ticket to date was 2/2/13 at home against MI. That was a wild ticket environment. I even met one of the biggest hoosier fans @eddy4iu because of it :)!!

This UNC game is insane. My friend that is a big broker has sold all of his tickets except bleacher seats behind the visiting bench, which I told him to put for 5k each. I traded the same broker 6 of my season tickets, 4 in C40, and 2 in J17. He sold them already for $600 and $1000 each respectively. For anyone that thinks the players don't deserve money, these figures should make you question that. The amount of money that will be spent to watch IU basketball this year will be astronomical. Of course a piece of that money spent should go to the people playing the game. Just seems silly people ever thought differently to me.
The last UNC game wasn't cheap on the secondary.

Ah the memories - LOL.
No doubt that this year’s marquis home game will be one of, if not THE, most expensive ticket on the secondary market. Just especially glad to have tickets this year and not have to rely on the secondary market to get to games.
Where will you be sitting for this one?

Reactions: kkott
Ah the memories - LOL.
No doubt that this year’s marquis home game will be one of, if not THE, most expensive ticket on the secondary market. Just especially glad to have tickets this year and not have to rely on the secondary market to get to games.
Where will you be sitting for this one?
I have season tickets by you, last row of the bleachers behind the visitors bench. I will be there almost every game. For sure this one.

I have season tickets by you, last row of the bleachers behind the visitors bench. I will be there almost every game. For sure this one.
Great! I’m not behind the visitor’s bench though. I‘m across the floor from the IU bench. We can give the refs hell from both ends of the court!

Great! I’m not behind the visitor’s bench though. I‘m across the floor from the IU bench. We can give the refs hell from both ends of the court!
Ahhhh I dunno why I thought you were over there. And for sure give them hell!!!

Reactions: eddy4iu
Our #1 dentist here in Washington .
His season tickets for this game would probably bring stupid money...
He's usually seen as the camera spans out after a big run by the Hoosiers..When they go to a tv timeout..
Go Hoosiers !!

I love IUBB. But unless you are independently wealthy, I can't justify spending $2000 on two tickets to a basketball game in November. It's stupid. My guess is the majority of the people paying these prices will be wearing baby blue to the game and/or expensing them on their corporate expense account. Obviously where there's a market, the price of the tickets will go along with it. What's "silly" is the these prices. You can use your small profit to pay it back to the players, but the losers here are the common fans, not the athletes.

But yet they didn’t sell their allotment of season tickets. My mother in law joined the wait list this summer with zero varsity points and could’ve gotten lowers. She opted for first row balcony…but was still strange to me.

Everything is the most expensive it’s been in history lol

I love IUBB. But unless you are independently wealthy, I can't justify spending $2000 on two tickets to a basketball game in November. It's stupid. My guess is the majority of the people paying these prices will be wearing baby blue to the game and/or expensing them on their corporate expense account. Obviously where there's a market, the price of the tickets will go along with it. What's "silly" is the these prices. You can use your small profit to pay it back to the players, but the losers here are the common fans, not the athletes.
Agree that most will be paid on corporate expense accounts, just like the Super Bowl, but not that it will be UNC fans mostly. It's a weekday game, so in addition to the exorbitant cost of tickets, they'd mostly (not a ton of UNC fans in Indy, Cincy or Lville, where they could drive in) they'd have to pay for flights, hotels, meals, etc... and most of their customers won't want to spend a night and burn a day or part of a day to do that. Whereas, there are tons of IU fans in those areas who can bring customers and just make an evening of it; no flights, missed work, hotels, etc... We'll still have a huge home court advantage.

Last edited:
Plenty of buyers that are IU fans or have IU fan clients. A number of older folks will sell them due to the time and some will sell theirs to pay off a chunk of their season ticket costs.

Agree that most will be paid on corporate expense accounts, just like the Super Bowl, but not that it will be UNC fans mostly. It's a weekday game, so in addition to the exorbitant cost of tickets, they'd mostly (not a ton of UNC fans in Indy, Cincy or Lville, where they could drive in) they'd have to pay for flights, hotels, meals, etc... and most of their customers won't want to spend a night and burn a day or part of a day to do that. Whereas, there are tons of IU fans in those areas who can bring customers and just make an evening of it; no flights, missed work, hotels, etc... We'll still have a huge home court advantage.
I bet less than 5% of tickets are expensed. I am in high level sales, and no chance any client of mine would foot a bill for a grand or two to go see a IU game. Maybe Jackson state, not UNC.

it will also be 90-95 % IU fans. People spend their mortgage payments on tickets. When you live in Bedford or orleans, when IU is top ten in bball, that is all that matters in life. What makes IU and UK such die hard fan bases. Not shit else to do. “Donny, we ain’t harvesting the beans that day, sell the tractor let’s go see some Tar Heels!”

The prices may be the highest ever, but the hype will be similar to a number of games over the last 10 years. The viewership numbers I am sure will be solid as well. Most people I interact with seem to be pretty excited about the season, but I think most realize this team isn't a top 5-10 team. Anybody who knows basketball, anyway.

The prices may be the highest ever, but the hype will be similar to a number of games over the last 10 years. The viewership numbers I am sure will be solid as well. Most people I interact with seem to be pretty excited about the season, but I think most realize this team isn't a top 5-10 team. Anybody who knows basketball, anyway.
Internet is forever. People save receipts around here, ye knower of basketball.

Reactions: dbmhoosier
I hope you are right, but your optimism often reaches nauseating heights. Pump the brakes a bit. This team certainly has some strengths, but the core is based around a team that wasn't a top 25 type team a year ago, and one which clearly has a number of question marks. For this team to be a top 10 team in March, a lot will have gone right. As far as receipts go....I am not sure 1 player came within shouting distance of the stuff you spewed on here last year. Maybe TJD and Xavier Johnson down the stretch for 5-6 games... and Tamar Bates for about 3 minutes against Seton Hall.

I don't know, I've been a fan back to the late 70s and this is a pretty big game. Not many that would compare in the last 10 years and especially pre-conference at home (Wat shot is now more than 10 years). I'm very excited about the season and this game. I think nationally around 10 is about right given what we return and brought in with the freshmen. I'm hoping with it being early in the year, and home court we can surprise the Heels, and think we'll be underdogs, but certainly have a chance. The biggest advantage I'd give them is in the backcourt with Love and Davis, but XJ was coming on, so I think if Bates/JHS can contribute and help keep Love from going off, we could surprise them. Looking forward to it!

I don't know, I've been a fan back to the late 70s and this is a pretty big game. Not many that would compare in the last 10 years and especially pre-conference at home (Wat shot is now more than 10 years). I'm very excited about the season and this game. I think nationally around 10 is about right given what we return and brought in with the freshmen. I'm hoping with it being early in the year, and home court we can surprise the Heels, and think we'll be underdogs, but certainly have a chance. The biggest advantage I'd give them is in the backcourt with Love and Davis, but XJ was coming on, so I think if Bates/JHS can contribute and help keep Love from going off, we could surprise them. Looking forward to it!
I think the key in your post being the “in the last 10 years”, then following that up by mentioning “Wat shot is now more than 10 years”.

We have fans on here reminiscing about 2013 and a shot that didn’t win anything other than a non conference game. When I look back on 2013 all I think about is the “ we’re back” tee shirts.

it’s been a rough 20 plus years.

Well the 12-13 team is about to come off the books for the last 10 Years argument, but for now I will assume we can agree a number of games that year were bigger than the matchup with UNC this year. (IU and UNC were basically flipflopped to this years rankings preseason if I recall. That Michigan team was awfully tough, and provided two top 5 matchups) In 15-16 there were a number of games more important in the grand scheme of things when IU played Iowa and Purdue in Assembly in attempts to win a Big Ten Title. Now it may not of had the hoopla this game will. People are itching for IU to be relevant again. They are trending the right direction, but I already have buddies who root for other programs giggling about IU fans setting themselves up for disappointment. Winning will shut them up, but outside of 5-6 years since Knight, IU has largely been irrelevant.

I bet less than 5% of tickets are expensed. I am in high level sales, and no chance any client of mine would foot a bill for a grand or two to go see a IU game. Maybe Jackson state, not UNC.

it will also be 90-95 % IU fans. People spend their mortgage payments on tickets. When you live in Bedford or orleans, when IU is top ten in bball, that is all that matters in life. What makes IU and UK such die hard fan bases. Not shit else to do. “Donny, we ain’t harvesting the beans that day, sell the tractor let’s go see some Tar Heels!”
5% of TAH would be 875 visiting. Have never seen anything close to that many even in the first two Crean years when visitors jumped on the opportunity to experience a game at TAH.

1% might be more realistic.

I hope you are right, but your optimism often reaches nauseating heights. Pump the brakes a bit. This team certainly has some strengths, but the core is based around a team that wasn't a top 25 type team a year ago, and one which clearly has a number of question marks. For this team to be a top 10 team in March, a lot will have gone right. As far as receipts go....I am not sure 1 player came within shouting distance of the stuff you spewed on here last year. Maybe TJD and Xavier Johnson down the stretch for 5-6 games... and Tamar Bates for about 3 minutes against Seton Hall.
I don’t recall saying we would be elite 8 last year. I said we would make the tourney. I said tamar would get drafted after year 2 or 3, still good to go on that. I bet on every game and came out ahead. I was wrong about how good they would be but I didn’t expect them to be world beaters, a NW win and the season changes where we could easily have finished as a top 25 team last year. We played like a top 20 team in the big ten tourney. We return all but Parker. We are loaded this year.

what did I spew that was off base?

Put me in the wait and see category as it relates to Tamar. Loaded to me means multiple 1st round picks. Too early to know if that is the case.

I haven’t paid for a game that I didn’t expense in 20 years. This includes trips to the super bowl and two final fours. If it were my own money on my current income, I could not justify it. Not for a game in November. Now, if this were the tournament and an elite 8 game or later, then yes, it’s justifiable for my personal bank roll.

I haven’t paid for a game that I didn’t expense in 20 years. This includes trips to the super bowl and two final fours. If it were my own money on my current income, I could not justify it. Not for a game in November. Now, if this were the tournament and an elite 8 game or later, then yes, it’s justifiable for my personal bank roll.
You are in rare air. Don’t quit that job. But sounds like they don’t pay you shit, you can just expense things :).

You are in rare air. Don’t quit that job. But sounds like they don’t pay you shit, you can just expense things :).
You should know, but I think there will be more expensed tickets than you're giving credit for. Lots of companies that do high dollar sporting events; and it's often not just sales... service firms, legal, financial, tech, pharma, medical, etc... lots of companies that have big ticket expense accounts for customers. I have a friend who's an M&A attorney. They wouldn't bat an eye for this game if he had a customer that wanted to attend. This would be cheap compared to some of the events they do.

You should know, but I think there will be more expensed tickets than you're giving credit for. Lots of companies that do high dollar sporting events; and it's often not just sales... service firms, legal, financial, tech, pharma, medical, etc... lots of companies that have big ticket expense accounts for customers. I have a friend who's an M&A attorney. They wouldn't bat an eye for this game if he had a customer that wanted to attend. This would be cheap compared to some of the events they do.
It 100% would not be cheap for a sporting event. For row 20 and down you are spending 2k+ after fees for just tickets. Expense the gas, meal, parking $2500 bucks minimum. If you wanted real good seats more like 5k. That is insane for any sporting event not named the superbowl.

Hell you could have done chiefs colts for a grand.

It 100% would not be cheap for a sporting event. For row 20 and down you are spending 2k+ after fees for just tickets. Expense the gas, meal, parking $2500 bucks minimum. If you wanted real good seats more like 5k. That is insane for any sporting event not named the superbowl.

Super Bowl, World Series, F4, about any Yankees game, any Red Sox game, Masters, Ryder Cup... lots of tickets in that realm. I just think once you get above a certain threshold, the % of corporate buyers goes up.

Super Bowl, World Series, F4, about any Yankees game, any Red Sox game, Masters, Ryder Cup... lots of tickets in that realm. I just think once you get above a certain threshold, the % of corporate buyers goes up.
I’m a Red Sox fan and went to countless games, baseball games are not expensive unless it is the playoffs. No where close to 1k per ticket for decent seats.

so yes I agree the final 4, WS, masters and Ryder cup. But those are the most prolific sporting events. Normal businesses don’t expense those lol.

Way up.

Sending/taking a client to a big national event is big business.

I’m a Red Sox fan and went to countless games, baseball games are not expensive unless it is the playoffs. No where close to 1k per ticket for decent seats.

so yes I agree the final 4, WS, masters and Ryder cup. But those are the most prolific sporting events. Normal businesses don’t expense those lol.
Red Sox tickets are typically free due to lack of demand

Go Yankees

• Haha
Reactions: Cavanagh

"normal" as in smaller businesses no, but Fortune 1000 companies, and their suppliers and vendors: absolutely. My friends firm buys tickets to all those events and I'd imagine he has attended every one over the years, as have all their senior partners, etc... "Normal" people are the ones who get priced out of those seats.

Bwahaha, now take 3 or 4 clients on a hunting trip for a few days with flights, licenses, ammo, guides, lodging, food and tips. Fly in fishing trips are even crazier.

Sporting events are cheap.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT